Center-of-mass widget for partial ships

Newnard

Hi all. I was building a ship today and wished that I could get a marker for center-of-mass of JUST ONE PORTION of the ship. As that one portion of the ship would be independent later in life.

I could (and did) play games with making things into separate craft and then saving subassemblies and then putting them all together, but it occurred to me that it would be kind of nice to get a center of mass marker for selected parts of a ship.

So what I imagine, is one of two things:

1) Hover your mouse over any part, press magic key, center of mass marker appears indicating center for the part you have selected and all children.

or

2) Extra mode in parallel with place/offset/rotate that would allow you to select parts and then see the center of mass of the selected parts.

Now, I don't personally wish for this often enough to justify coding it. But I realized that a lot of people infrequently wishing for something is roughly equivalent to a small number of people who want something all the time, either of which would justify some coding time.

So my question is: If this were a thing, how often (if ever) would you actually use it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.