[1.8.1] Kerbal Konstructs - 1.8.1.15 - 15.Dec.2019

Ger_space

20 minutes ago, Ger_space said:

1.4 is for ksp 1.4.1. ( Only tested without the expansion) 

I have no idea about any side effects of the expansion or ksp 1.4.2.

Using the 1.4 version on 1.3 will fail as well, because the launchsites will not be set up correctly.

I Know 1.4 is for 1.4.1. It works fine with the dlc as well. I run 1.4 with 1.4.x and the latest 1.3 version with 1.3.1. But there is an issue with additional launch points. It may depend on the asset used. I have only tested with the big hangar, water launch points, and stock runways. All put me on the stock pad or runway. The exact same cfgs in 1.3.1, using the latest 1.3.1 version of KK, does not have the issue. I can make a test cfg for you in stock so you can see yourselfwhen you are done vacationing.

Edited by Galileo

@Galileo

Test configurations sounds good. I only tested with Kerbin-side and there it was working as intended.

I think for 1.4 I'll switch to use the displaynmame instead of the name for the bodies. 

That should prevent the stock bases showing up on planets where they don't belong.

10 minutes ago, Skywalket said:

Major Issue. I stepped off of my test vehicle (as a Kerbal) and the dials all reset to zero and the screen went blank. I could still pull up the pause menu though

Are you sure that is a issue of kerbal konstructs?

Could you please open a issue on github and upload the logfile there?

I have been testing the latest (beta) release for KSP 1.4.1.  It seems to be working well except for one thing.  When launching from the SPH, no matter what launch site I choose, the second launch from that site will always be from the KSC Runway.  I've tried everything I can think of in the Kerbal Konstructs menu to try to get my second launch to be from the latest runway.  I can launch from a new runway, but when I try to launch from the one I already launched from, it launches from the KSC every time.  Restarting the game lets me get a launch from the base I want, then launch a craft from the destination site (I'm hopping site-to-site, deploying communication relays,) but the next plane I try to launch from that same site, to fly on to the next base, it always ends up on the KSC runway.  Could this have something to do with the new official support for multiple launch sites?  Thank you for a great mod, and I'm looking forward to the new version with updated bases and compatibility with 1.4.1.

P.S. I'm not sure if this will happen from the VAB, too.  I'll do some tests on that later.  I've been flying exclusively from Runways and the KSC launch pad in this Sandbox so far.

Edited by Scorptrio
Added info about the VAB.

2 hours ago, Scorptrio said:

I have been testing the latest (beta) release for KSP 1.4.1.  It seems to be working well except for one thing.  When launching from the SPH, no matter what launch site I choose, the second launch from that site will always be from the KSC Runway.  I've tried everything I can think of in the Kerbal Konstructs menu to try to get my second launch to be from the latest runway.  I can launch from a new runway, but when I try to launch from the one I already launched from, it launches from the KSC every time.  Restarting the game lets me get a launch from the base I want, then launch a craft from the destination site (I'm hopping site-to-site, deploying communication relays,) but the next plane I try to launch from that same site, to fly on to the next base, it always ends up on the KSC runway.  Could this have something to do with the new official support for multiple launch sites?  Thank you for a great mod, and I'm looking forward to the new version with updated bases and compatibility with 1.4.1.

P.S. I'm not sure if this will happen from the VAB, too.  I'll do some tests on that later.  I've been flying exclusively from Runways and the KSC launch pad in this Sandbox so far.

This can really be a side effect of ksp 1.4.X 

Which ksp version are you using? 1.4.2 with or without the DLC?

If I can reproduce this maybe I can find a remedy for this too.

I do not own the new DLC.   I missed the deadline by a few weeks to get it free, and will probably pick it up in the near future, especially if there is a patch for it.  I'm not much of an early adopter, as the latest versions tend to break my favorite mods until the mods are updated.  I was previously unaware of the 1.4.2 patch and was using the latest I had, which is 1.4.1.  I am downloading the latest version now and will report my results.  Maybe I should be more of an early adopter when it comes to watching for minor updates! (patches)  I love this mod and have devoted entire sandbox games to planting a flag at every new base and setting up a relay station at every dish I find (without using any default ground stations and using strict communication settings, so I have to set up my own ground network.)  I also use the Scan Sat mod, to map Kerbin and locate the anomalies and plant flags at all of those, too, and I do not visit any base that I haven't already scanned from orbit, as if they have to be discovered before they can be visited.  I also have a strict RTB (Return to Base) policy, and do not allow any craft or Kerbal to be recovered unless it is very close to a base, at which point, Kerbals will have to depart from that same base to get anywhere else.  I've had to build amphibious recovery craft to tow other craft back to base for recovery, and that's added a whole new dimension to the game that wouldn't be possible without all the new bases and having to open them for them to be used.   Thanks for all the hard work and artistry, and I'm really looking forward to the updated version with new models.  More coastal ports with water launching for boats and sea-planes, please and thank you!

@Scorptrio

I was surprised that the current implementation was even possible to work, i got reports of the same behavior from some other user as well, so at least you are not alone.

I don't know if I can fix that without requiring the DLC. But I try to do it as soon I'm neck home. 

Edited by Ger_space

55 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

I'll park this nugget here. :cool:

WillingAjarErne-size_restricted.gif

FarflungTastyLadybug-size_restricted.gif

You good sir, are an evil evil man. We already see the amazingness of your changes. We already want it so bad, and what do you do? make us want it more! XD

Everything i have seen looks so good man! keep up the good work, cant wait!

I've had some problems with fps in kerbal konstructs sometimes and therefore im wondering how easy it is to integrate lod* models in ksp because i cant stand the way that it is just either max quality or culled, i could see some problems with collision of you have PRE but it would greatly help with performance if more modders used lods*

*L O D  level of detail, used in game development to reduce amount of polygons on screen while keeping the visuals essentially the same 

7 hours ago, AtleSt said:

I've had some problems with fps in kerbal konstructs sometimes and therefore im wondering how easy it is to integrate lod* models in ksp because i cant stand the way that it is just either max quality or culled, i could see some problems with collision of you have PRE but it would greatly help with performance if more modders used lods*

*L O D  level of detail, used in game development to reduce amount of polygons on screen while keeping the visuals essentially the same 

Lod requires new models for each detail level, which means only 3 times the amount of work. 

The remastered Kerbin-side models will be much more resource friendly, So the performance impact will be a less serve issue in the future.

As soon someone will point out how to reduce the polygon code efficiency in c# code I can try to implement it for the existing models, but I think this will break them pretty bad. 

10 hours ago, AtleSt said:

Um it would take a bit more work on both @Ger_space and I to get LOD working. Also AlphaAsh's models had a lot of unnecessary polys (23k polys for a small snowball vs 50k for my largest most complex model) and too many draw calls. Mine and @Omega482's models are very condensed, I have observed no sign of lag as I did with Alpha's models. Not trying to put @AlphaAsh down in anyway, he did great with KS, helped me learn a lot in the beginning and has always been a good friend.

2 hours ago, Ger_space said:

Lod requires new models for each detail level, which means only 3 times the amount of work. 

The remastered Kerbin-side models will be much more resource friendly, So the performance impact will be a less serve issue in the future.

As soon someone will point out how to reduce the polygon code efficiency in c# code I can try to implement it for the existing models, but I think this will break them pretty bad. 

^^^^^^ This :cool:

Edited by Eskandare

4 hours ago, Ger_space said:

i know it's more work to make lod models, the lazy method would be to just use the decimate modifier in blender. 

if the remastered kerbinside models are better optimized i guess my question is a bit void but thanks for the answer anyways 

2 hours ago, AtleSt said:

i know it's more work to make lod models, the lazy method would be to just use the decimate modifier in blender. 

if the remastered kerbinside models are better optimized i guess my question is a bit void but thanks for the answer anyways 

I don't have or own the current Kebin side models, it would also require a some configuration changes how buildings are defined in the cfg files

Im currently not really interested enabling lod in kk, because there are no easy mesh reduce functions and the amount of work for the modders is already high enough.

Having optimized statics is better than an broken lod system. (Ksp supports lod for statics, but my time is very limited and the current challenges with 1.4 are already big enough)

If someone comes up with a patch for kk that will create reduced meshes and sets them up at loading time, I'm happy to include this, but I'm not going to do this anytime soon.

Newbies, welcome to the forum. :)

But please read back over at least a few pages of threads before asking about updates, since messages like this can become repetitive and feel like harassment to the mod maker. 

49 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Have you tried using @Ger_space's 1.4 KK beta?

This version has a bug, which mashed custom launchsites only usable once. I'll drop a new release as soon 1.4.3 is out and I could have tested it. 

Upgrading my dev environment is boring and I'll not do it twice in one week. currently I'm on 1.4.1. 

Until then I'm working on other features for 1.3.1.

@Eskandare had some wish for his assets I wanted to have it ready as soon as possible. 

There are also some wired things going on with GPP, so it would be good when I get this fixed too.