[1.8.1] Kerbal Konstructs - 1.8.1.15 - 15.Dec.2019

Ger_space

10 hours ago, Nightside said:

Background info: A height map is a 2D grayscale image used to represent or generate a 3D surface. The lowest elevations are represented as black and the highest as white with a continuum of grays in between representing intermediate elevations. In my canyon image above I used an actual elevation map of the grand canyon. The height map for this something like this:

photo.jpg

However, to get started you can use the height maps included with the mod.

Step 1. Travel to your desired location. Use tools like Vessel Mover or HyperEdit to make this easier.

Step 2. Press CRTL+ k to bring up the Kerbal Konstructs editor

Step 3. Press the EDIT MAP DECALS button

Step 4. Press the SPAWN NEW MAPDECAL button, the Mapdecal Editor window should appear.

Step 5a. Click the HEIGHT MAP  button and select a height map;

5b.  Since you just want a flat area to build on, select the AllBlack height map. This map won't have any variation within, just smoothing at the edges so it matches surrounding terrain;

5c. Set parameters, RADIUS (try something like 2000 to 5000 depending on base size), ABSOLUTE OFFSET (this is altitude for the lowest part of your map decal, set it to approximately the existing ground level at your site) & HEIGHTMAPDEFORMITY (this is the difference in elevation between whites and blacks on the heightmap, since we are using an all black map this doesn't matter, but it is important for all other maps), these values are in meters. Press APPLY & SAVE, and inspect your work. 

You can changes and edits to your parameters and position then press APPLY & SAVE again.

Post pics of what you make!

Now how can I change terrain texture to the KSC green instead of dark green?

6 hours ago, Natokerbal said:

Now how can I change terrain texture to the KSC green instead of dark green?

Create a color map and a appropriate config for that map. 

Then select it as an additional color map in the pqs you created.

There is a config example in the kerbal konstructs folder, it should be easy to adapt. Presse note, that textures should be square. 

7 hours ago, tonimark said:

[WRN 14:58:58.042] KK: GetHeightMapByName: No HeightMap found with name: K-Slope

And afterwards it crashed. 

The crashing is not good, but having some configs without that use some assets that no longer vailable is something not expected. I think the K-Slope came from Kerbin-Side Remastered, but I cannot find it in your install anymore. Maybe in the Kerbal-Konstructs\Newinstances Folder you have some old .cfg files, when you edited some Terrain. 

22 minutes ago, OPBlue said:

does Kerbin City work with the latest version? probably not because the dependency for it (which i forgot the name of) hasn't been updated.

I don't think it will work directly. Someone made it work, but was not able to redistribute it, because of the license.

also i dont know if you will be able to help me with this but i was opening up ksp one day and it crashed when it loaded up the fuel tanks in the squad folder. but it ended with me deleting the folder in frustration and now i dont have MK2 or MK3 parts or most of the planes from steam. i think it wasnt a mod because i didnt download any mods before then without launching the game. i dont know how it happened but im so mad because most of the planes i build use MK2 parts and the MK2 parts i have from mods dont look good with standard MK2 cockpits. is there a way to get the folder for the MK2 fuel tanks back without deleting the game and reinstalling.

3 minutes ago, OPBlue said:

also i dont know if you will be able to help me with this but i was opening up ksp one day and it crashed when it loaded up the fuel tanks in the squad folder. but it ended with me deleting the folder in frustration and now i dont have MK2 or MK3 parts or most of the planes from steam. i think it wasnt a mod because i didnt download any mods before then without launching the game. i dont know how it happened but im so mad because most of the planes i build use MK2 parts and the MK2 parts i have from mods dont look good with standard MK2 cockpits. is there a way to get the folder for the MK2 fuel tanks back without deleting the game and reinstalling.

make a copy of the game and run the steam integry check. then copy everything modded back to the fixed folder

i did what you said and it still crashed. and i forgot to mention it always crashed on rcs tanks.

Edit: i deleted all sources of rcs tanks and it loaded

Edited by OPBlue

17 hours ago, Ger_space said:

[WRN 14:58:58.042] KK: GetHeightMapByName: No HeightMap found with name: K-Slope

And afterwards it crashed. 

The crashing is not good, but having some configs without that use some assets that no longer vailable is something not expected. I think the K-Slope came from Kerbin-Side Remastered, but I cannot find it in your install anymore. Maybe in the Kerbal-Konstructs\Newinstances Folder you have some old .cfg files, when you edited some Terrain. 

I check the folder (Kerbal-Konstructs\Newinstances) and is empty.it should be an incompatibility with kerbin side remastered, its better idea to investigate it 

2 hours ago, tonimark said:

I check the folder (Kerbal-Konstructs\Newinstances) and is empty.it should be an incompatibility with kerbin side remastered, its better idea to investigate it 

You only installed the Additional Airports packacke for Kerbin-Side Remastered without the Kerbin-Side Remastered mod. thats why its failing. You need also thi mod and it will load fine:

https://github.com/Eskandare/KerbinSideRemastered/releases/tag/v0.90.1.1

Hey,

Is Kerbal Konstructs optimised for working on other planets?
I have a launch site on a planet that I've made and launching a craft for the first time is stable, but after either reverting the flight or going outside of range of the launch area, the game will crash and result in a perpetual loading screen.

Let me know if you need any specific files such as logs, as I have them on hand. 

1 hour ago, tonimark said:

@Ger_spacei found out that I didn't install the mod correctly I reinstall and now it works fine sorry anyway

No worries, I'm happy it sorted out by itself.

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

Hey,

Is Kerbal Konstructs optimised for working on other planets?
I have a launch site on a planet that I've made and launching a craft for the first time is stable, but after either reverting the flight or going outside of range of the launch area, the game will crash and result in a perpetual loading screen.

Let me know if you need any specific files such as logs, as I have them on hand. 

Without logs is hard to see if it's a bug I need to replicate or something else. 

KK should be able to use offworld launchsites.

13 hours ago, Ger_space said:

Without logs is hard to see if it's a bug I need to replicate or something else. 

KK should be able to use offworld launchsites.

I fired up KSP to take some videos of the problem and upload my logs, but it seems like the issue was related to a certain craft rather than KK. So i think it's all fine, just that KSP didn't like the craft!

On 1/2/2019 at 6:10 PM, Nightside said:

What are you trying to do? I may be able to answer soem questions too. I've had great success making cool terrain. One of these days I may get around to releasing something. Here are some pics I took last night of a canyon system I added in between the KSC and the eastern mtn range.

50618528-42d41280-0ea8-11e9-9d66-b94bc4950618517-3354c980-0ea8-11e9-9239-1e2dfd6

More pics:

What were your terrain settings? I did something similar with a hand-drawn canyon/river/mountain.

The problem is that it only appears when you get to PQS, not scaledspace, so there's no sign of it from orbit.

6 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

What were your terrain settings? I did something similar with a hand-drawn canyon/river/mountain.

The problem is that it only appears when you get to PQS, not scaledspace, so there's no sign of it from orbit.

That's three limit of the system. To be visible from space you need kopernicus  and alter the planet texture. 

That's beyond my knowledge how to do that. 

Edited by Ger_space

57 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Which settings? The game visual/terrain  settings are maxed and I have scattered in these pics. 

You could also edit the scaled space map, or you can find places on Kerbin with similar features and replace them with a high resolution height map. I haven’t been too concerned about it myself.

It would be hard to get it to look right though. Maybe better to install a cloud pack and jus make the ground harder to see.

21 hours ago, Nightside said:

Which settings? The game visual/terrain  settings are maxed and I have scattered in these pics. 

Ah, sorry, the KK MapDecal settings. Radius, offset, etc. Mine came out looking kind of blocky.

Edited by theonegalen

18 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Ah, sorry, the KK MapDecal settings. Radius, offset, etc. Mine came out looking kind of blocky.

I've been working with maps about 60km in diameter, offset depends on your minimum elevation, and Deformity on the difference between the highest and lowest elevations. if you are near the coast you want to sink it a few dozen meters below sea level. 

If you want to get some OK resolution height maps of actual places on Earth check out https://terrain.party/ . It was made for some other game I've never played but works great for this. The resolution varies in different parts of the world (US tends to have very good 10m resolution) other places may only have lower resolution Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data. The terrain.party file is only about 1 - 2 MB so if you want higher resolution you may have to look into using a GIS program and processing proper elevation data yourself. 

Here is an example config.

KK_MapDecal
{
	Name = GC_1
	CelestialBody = Kerbin
	Latitude = 36.1806350
	Longitude = -111.9280125
	Radius = 30000
	HeightMapName = GC_1
	ColorMapName = None
	RemoveScatter = False
	UseAlphaHeightSmoothing = True