[1.8.1] Kerbal Konstructs - 1.8.1.15 - 15.Dec.2019

Ger_space

Been doing tests on my modded install to try and get better performance and I've found that having this and KerbinSide installed makes me drop about 15 FPS everywhere.   Basic install in orbit of the mun with a small craft, I get 60 fps and 100% sim speed.  Add these two and it drops to 45 fps and 100% sim speed. 

12 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Been doing tests on my modded install to try and get better performance and I've found that having this and KerbinSide installed makes me drop about 15 FPS everywhere.   Basic install in orbit of the mun with a small craft, I get 60 fps and 100% sim speed.  Add these two and it drops to 45 fps and 100% sim speed. 

Thats strange. normally the assets should not be rendered, when you are far away from the buildings. Have you the mod "Distant object enhancements" installed? Maybe this is activating the rendering of the buildings at  greater distances.
But yes: Some of the Kerbin-Side assets are quite a pain to render. I didn't find the patience to rebuild them in the last months. Large assets are always resource consuming like hell. 4k textures still look bad on them, but using small material patches will make the textures better, but rendering slower. This is really a full time job to find the right mixture and I'm not a professional games artist.

3 hours ago, Ger_space said:

Thats strange. normally the assets should not be rendered, when you are far away from the buildings. Have you the mod "Distant object enhancements" installed? Maybe this is activating the rendering of the buildings at  greater distances.
But yes: Some of the Kerbin-Side assets are quite a pain to render. I didn't find the patience to rebuild them in the last months. Large assets are always resource consuming like hell. 4k textures still look bad on them, but using small material patches will make the textures better, but rendering slower. This is really a full time job to find the right mixture and I'm not a professional games artist.

I tried it with and without.  I'm not too far into rebuilding my mod list, so let do something.   Its very anecdotal, but... I made a little imgur album of a very simple craft in very high orbit of kerbin.  On the top right you can see my FPS and simulation speed from the KerboKatz utilities.  https://imgur.com/a/TbAEc 

The only difference between those two sets of shots is I installed Kerbal Konstructs, Kerbinside, KKtoSD and my KerbinSide 32x configs.   You would think that it should have no performance impact at that distance in the flight scene, but in reality I loose 15 fps. 

Maybe @Sigma88 has some insight?

here are my logs that included those mods. 

ksp.log https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v23R08xnes9DNa2jH3i7hM47dx8Wr_s5

output log https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XUU0oH_GZlV8WwMFx1u1pqVWY06JX3nh

Edited by eberkain

I messed with the editor a bit and idk why but all my statics have disappeared from the "KSC view" (the space center menu where you select which building to go to).

I had KSC++ upgrades and a harbour I made for personnal use using SpannerMonkey's statics. They still work fine whenever I launch a vessel but suddenly both groups have disappeared from the map view. The thing I did immediately prior to that was to try and make a previously existing static hangar work as a launchsite.

Any idea how to make them visible again ? I tried re installing everything from scratch including KK and every static I had, but it didn't do anything.

Thanks !

4 hours ago, lBoBl said:

I messed with the editor a bit and idk why but all my statics have disappeared from the "KSC view" (the space center menu where you select which building to go to).

I had KSC++ upgrades and a harbour I made for personnal use using SpannerMonkey's statics. They still work fine whenever I launch a vessel but suddenly both groups have disappeared from the map view. The thing I did immediately prior to that was to try and make a previously existing static hangar work as a launchsite.

Any idea how to make them visible again ? I tried re installing everything from scratch including KK and every static I had, but it didn't do anything.

Thanks !

Are you sure you didn't press any of the filter buttons in the map view, so no more icons are shown? 

On 1/13/2018 at 3:51 PM, Drew Kerman said:

can anyone confirm if the latest KK on v1.3.1 is copy/pasting locations correctly or that the target snap is working okay? I copy a static position and paste it to another static and the heading and altitude nearly match up but it doesn't affect the Lat/Lng position. Also I toggle an object in the main window for a Snap target and select another object but when I click the Snap to Target button nothing happens. Am I missing something??

@Ger_space is this an issue I need to log on Github?

7 hours ago, FutureMartian97 said:

Which addon pack has the landing pads that i'm seeing on reddit? 

I dont know what you see on reddit... a link would have been nice.

4 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

@Ger_space is this an issue I need to log on Github?

yes, it would help. so I don't forget about it, when I start coding tomorrow. I get distracted to easy. (and I have no Idea why its not working anymore. OK, the why I can guess, I broke it, when I rewrote the inner core of KK, but I have no glue why.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:34 PM, eberkain said:

I tried it with and without.  I'm not too far into rebuilding my mod list, so let do something.   Its very anecdotal, but... I made a little imgur album of a very simple craft in very high orbit of kerbin.  On the top right you can see my FPS and simulation speed from the KerboKatz utilities.  https://imgur.com/a/TbAEc 

The only difference between those two sets of shots is I installed Kerbal Konstructs, Kerbinside, KKtoSD and my KerbinSide 32x configs.   You would think that it should have no performance impact at that distance in the flight scene, but in reality I loose 15 fps. 

Maybe @Sigma88 has some insight?

here are my logs that included those mods. 

ksp.log https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v23R08xnes9DNa2jH3i7hM47dx8Wr_s5

output log https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XUU0oH_GZlV8WwMFx1u1pqVWY06JX3nh

you are using  the "Distant Object Enhancement" mod. This makes everything visible. KK only adds a lot of of new objects, so its normal that you will have them to render, as all my attempts to deactivate them are overwritten by DOE. 

Play around with the DOE settings ( so they dont affect buildings) , or live with the performance impact you see. 

I've asked this before but maybe someone knows it now. I'm currently working on my own launchpad, but I have troubles getting the smoke out of the trenches. With KK you can place the stock KSP launchpads and somehow they work as expected. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I've tried putting collides in to guide the smoke but that doesn't effect anything.

15 minutes ago, damonvv said:

I've asked this before but maybe someone knows it now. I'm currently working on my own launchpad, but I have troubles getting the smoke out of the trenches. With KK you can place the stock KSP launchpads and somehow they work as expected. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I've tried putting collides in to guide the smoke but that doesn't effect anything.

Have you tried the DebugStuff mod to examin the launchpads? I have no Idea how they are set up, because within KK I copy the stock ones and only make them accessable through config files. (and I remove the destruction module, because KK has no interface to repair buildings) 

On 1/13/2018 at 9:51 PM, Drew Kerman said:

can anyone confirm if the latest KK on v1.3.1 is copy/pasting locations correctly or that the target snap is working okay? I copy a static position and paste it to another static and the heading and altitude nearly match up but it doesn't affect the Lat/Lng position. Also I toggle an object in the main window for a Snap target and select another object but when I click the Snap to Target button nothing happens. Am I missing something??

I looked at the code and I messed it up. These parts of code I never closely looked at and I was happy when they compiled. I changed the logic how objects are moved, but I forgot to change these parts. Sorry for that, I cannot test everything of this mod. Its way too big. I'm often happy when it compiles and the windows are showing some data. 

4 hours ago, Ger_space said:

I dont know what you see on reddit... a link would have been nice.

yes, it would help. so I don't forget about it, when I start coding tomorrow. I get distracted to easy. (and I have no Idea why its not working anymore. OK, the why I can guess, I broke it, when I rewrote the inner core of KK, but I have no glue why.

This one. 

21 hours ago, Ger_space said:

Are you sure you didn't press any of the filter buttons in the map view, so no more icons are shown? 

My guess is, I did click that. Will try to find that button again, many thanks sir.

EDIT : That didn't work. I had some filters turned off in the map view but putting them back on did nothing. Curiously this seems to be somewhat savefile-related, when I first load my sandbox just after starting the game everything is fine, but as soon as I load the career every static disappears from the KSC menu. They don't reappear even when I load the sandbox after that. Here are some screenshots

Spoiler

How the KSC should look like (from my sandbox)

0t78wLg.png

How it looks like when I load my career save : 

bWMTt7b.png

EDIT 2 : In fact whenever I re load my game the same filters are enabled in the Tracking station and map view. I'll try to figure out how to change that behaviour

Edited by lBoBl

2 hours ago, Ger_space said:

I looked at the code and I messed it up. These parts of code I never closely looked at and I was happy when they compiled. I changed the logic how objects are moved, but I forgot to change these parts. Sorry for that, I cannot test everything of this mod. Its way too big. I'm often happy when it compiles and the windows are showing some data. 

hey man, no big deal that's why you have all of us to find the bugs :) so.... still need that issue created or is this patched up?

5 hours ago, lBoBl said:

My guess is, I did click that. Will try to find that button again, many thanks sir.

EDIT : That didn't work. I had some filters turned off in the map view but putting them back on did nothing. Curiously this seems to be somewhat savefile-related, when I first load my sandbox just after starting the game everything is fine, but as soon as I load the career every static disappears from the KSC menu. They don't reappear even when I load the sandbox after that. Here are some screenshots

Hide contents

How the KSC should look like (from my sandbox)

How it looks like when I load my career save : 

EDIT 2 : In fact whenever I re load my game the same filters are enabled in the Tracking station and map view. I'll try to figure out how to change that behaviour

I need your logfiles, as KK crashes badly and died a horrible way. Thats why everything dissapears. 

4 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

hey man, no big deal that's why you have all of us to find the bugs :) so.... still need that issue created or is this patched up?

not needed anymore, as I already startet working on it. 

On 1.2.2018 at 7:00 PM, Li0n said:

Hi Konstructors

I'm writing a StaticModule that toggle lights (or any animation) when the sun rises/falls. It works good except when the instance editor is open : the "StaticObjectUpdate" method gets fired continuously, that is normal I guess. Problem is I'll need to restart some of my code after StaticObjectUpdate and when it fired non-stop it visibly slow down the game. So my question is : is there a way I can check if the instance editor window is open ? So I can stop my code during this time.

I've found the " KerbalKonstructs.UI.WindowManager.IsOpen " static method but I don't get what parameter it takes ?

If @Ger_space and @AlphaAsh, or anyone with experience writing StaticModule, could give me a hand here I'll gladly appreciate it :)

On a side note : I write this module for @Omega482 and his impressive Stock-a-like and SpaceX Buildings.       Are there other static modder interested in lights (or other animation) getting toggled when the sun rises/falls ? If so leave me a PM I'll send you a link to a buggybeta version.

@Ger_space and @AlphaAsh : once the module is done do you like to add it to KerbalKonstruct (as the AnimateOnClick and other) or do you prefer I release it as an expansion of KerbalKonstruct ?

The patch you provided is to cost intesive and would only cover the normal editor and not the model-preview:

with the next release I made the following calls public:

KerbalKonstructs.UI.StaticsEditorGUI.instance.isOpen() 

it returns true or false and needs no parameters. Every time the KK editor is open this function returns true. it should be easier to use than callback functions. It was unintented, that the instance if the window was marked internal, as the inheritated functions are make public.

The next release will incorporate this change, as I don't like the idea of walking thought all assets every time the editor is opened. 

integrating new modules is always welcome, so other mods can use that as well.

"KerbalKonstructs.UI.WindowManager" is an abstract class, which is inherited by the actual windows. That class by itself is useless, it only provides commonly used functions to all the windows KK uses. the isOpen() function has every class that inherites the KKwindow class. 

Edited by Ger_space

33 minutes ago, Ger_space said:

The patch you provided is to cost intesive and would only cover the normal editor and not the model-preview:

with the next release I made the following calls public:

KerbalKonstructs.UI.StaticsEditorGUI.instance.isOpen() 

Thanks. On github you said you still add my PR, should I expect the callback I wrote to be in the next release or only the above call ? Either way is fine for me, just to know what I should change.

40 minutes ago, Ger_space said:

integrating new modules is always welcome, so other mods can use that as well.

:) I've some optimization and exotic testing I want to finish, I'll send you the PR once it's done.

1 minute ago, Li0n said:

Thanks. On github you said you still add my PR, should I expect the callback I wrote to be in the next release or only the above call ? Either way is fine for me, just to know what I should change.

:) I've some optimization and exotic testing I want to finish, I'll send you the PR once it's done.

Yes I said this, then I looked closer at the commit and spend more time thinking about it and I realized that its pretty resource intensive, and difficult to use, because checking a boolean is a lot easier. (and I already use this in other functions) The only problem was that the calls where not public. 

4 minutes ago, Li0n said:

I created a Issue in github with some comments about the way you detect of the sun is above you.. 

I published a new release:

It contains only bugfixes and no real new features for normal players. Spacedock and CKAN should be updated soon. 
The offices and now provide roughly that amout of money, that they pay off thier investment after one year (5000 credits per kerbal and year) 
The research facilities provde about 5 science a year, so it encourages players to go there from time to time.
if someone has better ideas for the ürodiced rates, feel free to leave a comment.

Release is here.

10.02.2018 1.2.0.3 

* Set the default behavior of the CommNet and RemoteTech support to false. 
* Fixed the facility editor
* removed unneccesary the calls to the staticModuleUpdate when a object is selected.
* made the the KerbalKonstricts.UI.StaticsEditorGUI.isOpen() function public, so it can be queried from other mods.
* Fixed the snap2target and copy/paste position of objects.
* removed some orphaned code from the editor. 
* small peformace improvements to the statics editor
* Fixed the offices and research facilities. They now prodoce about 5 science and 5000 credits per kerbal and year, so they are now slightly usefull.

outlook:

* PQSMapDecal support to flatten terrain 
* Some color changing module, to adjust the grass color on some assets. 

Edited by Ger_space

On 09/02/2018 at 9:32 PM, Ger_space said:

I need your logfiles, as KK crashes badly and died a horrible way. Thats why everything dissapears. 

Oh my, poor KK. I'm sad that I've killed it cause I like it. Especially now that I made that

Spoiler

9gIa70S.jpg

But do you need the precise log from when it first happened (cause I don't think I have that anymore) or any current log file will do ? 

Thanks for the help, don't go out of your way just to help me since everything works perfectly fine in the important scenes, but if it can help you debug the mod I'll gladly try to provide the information you need.

I'm trying the newest version right now, I made that little "reusability expansion" to my space center in 1.2.0.2 and I can confirm that the facility editor works like a charm, I'm going to enjoy these working fuel tanks so much when it comes to refueling my landed first stages ! Thank you sir !