[1.8.1] Kerbal Konstructs - 1.8.1.15 - 15.Dec.2019

Ger_space

Hi everyone, 

just on a short heads-up: I have quite some challenges (only good ones, but still time consuming and mentally exhausting) so I am going not to be that active in the next week/month to come. 

If someone wants to step up and take over this mod, I'll not be offended by it, but my time coding is quite limited. 

On 8/23/2019 at 6:49 PM, infinite_monkey said:

What are custom prelaunch checks?

yea that was my initial reaction as well (working through an upgrade from KSP v1.5.1 to 1.8.1 so it wasn't in my old install) - I thought that like some other mods, KK was bundling a separate mod for convenience. I didn't see any requirement for it in the thread so I deleted it. I figured by its name it had to do with adding stuff to the VAB Engineering Report (which I think is also a real mod I might have gotten it confused with). Then KK wouldn't work and I was like eh? Check the log and it tells me this is a dependency that isn't loading. Put it back in and everything works.

Which makes me ask, @Ger_space - why is it in a separate folder if KK can't run without it? Why not just have it in the KK folder?

Edited by Drew Kerman

First of all I want to say thank you for the great progress this mod made under @Ger_space development. 

I'm trying to use KK ground stations feature for commnet, but I cannot figure out how to remove stock (free) ground stations and use only ground stations added by KK.

Option "Leave stock DSN" is off, but I still have Harvester Massif, etc.

If it matters, I use JNSQ with it's inbuilt KK config.

If anybody knows how to disable stock ground stations, but have KK ground stations enabled, please help.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:17 AM, Drew Kerman said:

yea that was my initial reaction as well (working through an upgrade from KSP v1.5.1 to 1.8.1 so it wasn't in my old install) - I thought that like some other mods, KK was bundling a separate mod for convenience. I didn't see any requirement for it in the thread so I deleted it. I figured by its name it had to do with adding stuff to the VAB Engineering Report (which I think is also a real mod I might have gotten it confused with). Then KK wouldn't work and I was like eh? Check the log and it tells me this is a dependency that isn't loading. Put it back in and everything works.

Which makes me ask, @Ger_space - why is it in a separate folder if KK can't run without it? Why not just have it in the KK folder?

The mod could be theoretically be used without KK, thats why its not in the KK folder. 

On 12/20/2019 at 3:49 AM, Ger_space said:

Kerbal Konstructs is nothing for low-end Systems. To test, just delete the mod folders out of the GameData Folder

When you create a launchSite, then you have to restart KSP to use it. There is a nice KK-button in the SPH and VAB to select the site you created.

The problem is that it keeps throwing NREs and other debug error spew.  They are almost all related to data in the KSC++ mod, which is why I suspect that.  KSC++ also has some bad colliders that Kraken my crafts if I run into them.

I'm thinking of using the lighter building mods next time I install Kerbal Konstructs.

On 2/23/2020 at 5:44 AM, evileye.x said:

First of all I want to say thank you for the great progress this mod made under @Ger_space development. 

I'm trying to use KK ground stations feature for commnet, but I cannot figure out how to remove stock (free) ground stations and use only ground stations added by KK.

Option "Leave stock DSN" is off, but I still have Harvester Massif, etc.

If it matters, I use JNSQ with it's inbuilt KK config.

If anybody knows how to disable stock ground stations, but have KK ground stations enabled, please help.

I’m also curious about this one, I was hoping to have to invest in KK ground stations in my JNSQ career save.

@infinite_monkey I had a hard time with that as well (yep, no unit conversion) but I can share my findings with you. Once I found a stock LFO tank (or a fitting number of it) that nicely measures up next to a static, I summed up the total amount of LFO it would hold and then I multiplied that by 5 (due to the stock propellants having volume = 5 in their resource definitions). For the standalone utility building in Omega's Structures I chose 1.5x the amount of the Kerbodyne medium tank:

// <LFO amount> * <tank multiplier> * <resource volume> = <storage amount for KK>
(3240 + 3960) * 1.5 * 5 = 48000

2bMRk6q.png

I worked out some volumes for 3 statics that I use in the bases that I build:

• Standalone utility building (small triangle, Omega's Structures) = 48,000
  • Spherical LOX tank (small triangle, Omega's Structures) = 192,000
  • Spherical LOX tank, (large, no tile, probably Squad's) = 768,000
Edited by JadeOfMaar

INTRODUCING KERBAL CITY

Mayor: Miguelsgamingch

Builders: Miguelsgamingch Including The Following Kerbals:

Bob Kerman, Carney Kerman And Barbara Kerman

4C193F6C39F413E046376D1BA946BB4999E113A7

Building Kerbal City With Kerbal Konstructs And Omega's Stockalike Structures (Did not Use KSP Extended Lol)

7 minutes ago, miguelsgamingch said:

INTRODUCING KERBAL CITY

Mayor: Miguelsgamingch

Builders: Miguelsgamingch Including The Following Kerbals:

Bob Kerman, Carney Kerman And Barbara Kerman

4C193F6C39F413E046376D1BA946BB4999E113A7

Building Kerbal City With Kerbal Konstructs And Omega's Stockalike Structures (Did not Use KSP Extended Lol)

More Buildings Soon.

Updates For Kerbal City:

Added New Buildings Including Kerbal City Airport. That Hangers That You See There And

Tundra Space Complex. Including 39A And 39B Which is in real life SLC - 40. Also there are 3 landing pads there.

Also Added Some Wind Turbines And Decorations (Trees, Water Towers, ETC)

1300F67F2C7160E101AD900A516C897673286858

(Its Like Its My Own Version Of KSC Extended Lol.)

Maybe I'm just missing something really obvious, but I can't get any of the Kerbal Konstructs facilities to work: the fuel tanks seem to exist only to make all my reputation vanish completely (I didn't even know you could get :rep:-1000) and none of the facilities that require workers are working because there are no workers. The fuel tanks thing is mildly annoying, but I never had any need of it, but the lack of workers is a bit more of a problem as those facilities could be a useful source of funds and science.

I remember there being a button in a previous version of KK (for KSP 1.7.3 I think?) that spawned worker Kerbals, but they broke crew assignment when launching vessels so I never looked into it much. Now I can't find any way to create workers at all and regular Kerbals from the Astronaut Complex can't be assigned in their place.

Currently using KK v11.8.1.15 in KSC 1.8.1 with the latest versions of JNSQ, KSCE and Tundra's Space Center installed- they all use KK in some way so maybe one of them is responsible?

11 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Maybe I'm just missing something really obvious, but I can't get any of the Kerbal Konstructs facilities to work: the fuel tanks seem to exist only to make all my reputation vanish completely (I didn't even know you could get :rep:-1000) and none of the facilities that require workers are working because there are no workers. The fuel tanks thing is mildly annoying, but I never had any need of it, but the lack of workers is a bit more of a problem as those facilities could be a useful source of funds and science.

I remember there being a button in a previous version of KK (for KSP 1.7.3 I think?) that spawned worker Kerbals, but they broke crew assignment when launching vessels so I never looked into it much. Now I can't find any way to create workers at all and regular Kerbals from the Astronaut Complex can't be assigned in their place.

Currently using KK v11.8.1.15 in KSC 1.8.1 with the latest versions of JNSQ, KSCE and Tundra's Space Center installed- they all use KK in some way so maybe one of them is responsible?

You're not missing something obvious, because it isn't obvious at all that you need to hire Kerbal workers, which are completely unrelated to the crew Kerbals you can hire at the astronaut complex. You have to find (or plop down) a KK building that is assigned as "barracks". There you can hire the required staff, which you can then assign to the various facilities that require them.

As for fuel tanks and hangars, I'm finding that they don't stay open; looks like they reset once I change scenes–with the funds gone for good, waiting for another unsuspecting manager (me) to come along and try again...

If I store a craft I am controlling, it acts like "recover", I'm transported to the KSC scene, and the hangar is closed again, with the craft inside, but inaccessible. (At least) With Final Frontier installed, it lists the crew as "dead"–IIRC they were also listed as MIA in the stock KSP astronaut complex interface. At this point, I reverted to an earlier save and didn't bother to test any further. As neat as the hangar feature sounds, I feel Kerbal Construction Time provides for my hangar needs well enough.

Well, I finally managed to get some workers by digging around in the code until I found where a barracks was (apparently there are 3 in JNSQ's configs for 3 separate bases). Turns out, they can't be transferred between bases- workers hired at (for example) the C. Yeager base's astronaut complex (barracks) can't go anywhere else, like the KK businesses in KSC Extended.

I'm going to try it out in a fresh KSP instance without any other mods installed to eliminate interference from anything else.

UPDATE: well, apparently stock Kerbal Konstructs, KSC Extended and Tundra's Space Centre don't actually provide any way to hire workers at all.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie
Update

On 3/15/2020 at 10:39 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

I'm going to try it out in a fresh KSP instance without any other mods installed to eliminate interference from anything else.

UPDATE: well, apparently stock Kerbal Konstructs, KSC Extended and Tundra's Space Centre don't actually provide any way to hire workers at all.

I look forward to your report. ;) Yes, KSC Extended is completely missing anything with a barracks module and I've made some effort to address that. But I may need to talk to Damon about it again. And I've taken care of JNSQ but I'll have to release the KK updates as a "service pack" or "Patch Tuesday" like Microsoft does. There's quite a lot to do in total before another JNSQ release can happen.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings! I seem to have run into a strange bug with highlight in-flight highlighting not disabling for fuel merchants. I also find it a bit awkward that the menus open on the downpress of left click, instead of the release of left click like other functions. Would it be feasible to change that? Also is it possible to give statics the same behavior as the standard KSC space center tiles? I.E. clicking on the tracking station takes you to the tracking station, clicking on the runway brings up the launch screen, the R&D facility takes you to the R&D screen, etc. I would love it if I could completely make the KSC obsolete and have my own functioning space center view.

Here's what I've been working on :)

unknown.png

Edited by Avera9eJoe