[1.8.1] Kerbal Konstructs - 1.8.1.15 - 15.Dec.2019

Ger_space

so ive been tinkering with this mod in KSP 1.2.2, and i was wanting to make bases on Earth in QSRSS (in 1.3, mod is for 1.2.2). following the original guide, i am able to get all the way to editing the launchsites and saving them, however i am unable to launch from them (from the SPH and the VAB, runway was set for both). they show up on the KSC screen (working on getting a new SLF running), however. anything i might have missed?

4 hours ago, Dgraz22 said:

so ive been tinkering with this mod in KSP 1.2.2, and i was wanting to make bases on Earth in QSRSS (in 1.3, mod is for 1.2.2). following the original guide, i am able to get all the way to editing the launchsites and saving them, however i am unable to launch from them (from the SPH and the VAB, runway was set for both). they show up on the KSC screen (working on getting a new SLF running), however. anything i might have missed?

Restarting KSP :-) 

Sorry but new Launchsites Need a hard restart of  the Game, because the initialization is pretty complicated and removing and reading them will crash the game, which is more worse than just needing a restart. 

@Ger_space so i set up a runway, made it into a launchsite, shut the game down and then reloaded it from the desktop, and it still does not show up as a possible launchsite. it shows up on the KSC screen though.

Screenshots ^ if any more are needed, i will add them at your request. directory is as follows:
C: > users > username > desktop > KSP > KSP_Win64 > Gamedata > KerbalKonstructs
mod was installed via CKAN
thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, Dgraz22 said:

@Ger_space so i set up a runway, made it into a launchsite, shut the game down and then reloaded it from the desktop, and it still does not show up as a possible launchsite. it shows up on the KSC screen though.

Screenshots ^ if any more are needed, i will add them at your request. directory is as follows:
C: > users > username > desktop > KSP > KSP_Win64 > Gamedata > KerbalKonstructs
mod was installed via CKAN
thanks in advance!

The.cfg file from the new instances folder would be great 

so i loaded up the game again, edited the instance, and got the launchsite options tab to show up, closed the game, checked the .cfg file and nothing changed. should i reinstall KerbalKonstructs and try again from there?

UPDATE:
is the launchsite edit tab supposed to stay open after you hit the save button?
also, would you be able to show what the .cfg file should look like when the launchsite successfully saves all data for itself?

Edited by Dgraz22

A fleet of Konstructs props coming along nicely!

gewqsVj.png

EDIT: BTW, Im looking for help writing a plugin. It needs to be able to point my models at the stock texture files. I think Lack wrote a similar plugin for his SXT mod

[i'll need this before i can relase any of my konstruct props to the public, because i can't distribute the stock texture files im currently using...]

Actually, I think i can jus point to them in the CFG? thats what lack does? but i don't know where the stock building textures are unpacked to?

p.s. this is in no way discussuion of opening or using the game files. Simply that id like to point my models at the game textures post loading.

Edited by Omega482

5 hours ago, Omega482 said:

[amazing pic]

EDIT: BTW, Im looking for help writing a plugin. It needs to be able to point my models at the stock texture files in their .asset. I think Lack wrote a similar plugin for his SXT mod (called bounce.dll?)

[i'll need this before i can relase any of my konstruct props to the public, because i can't distribute the stock texture files im currently using...]

Actually, I think i can jus point to them in the CFG? thats what lack does? but i don't know where the stock building textures are unpacked to?

The problem is that the stock part textures are unpacked in the GameData folder but the stock building textures are compiled within one of the assetbundles and are inaccessible through config files. You could write code to get to them but it would be really hard and complicated. Instead, I'd suggest making your own textures in a stock style.

On 21.8.2017 at 0:10 AM, Dgraz22 said:

so i loaded up the game again, edited the instance, and got the launchsite options tab to show up, closed the game, checked the .cfg file and nothing changed. should i reinstall KerbalKonstructs and try again from there?

UPDATE:
is the launchsite edit tab supposed to stay open after you hit the save button?
also, would you be able to show what the .cfg file should look like when the launchsite successfully saves all data for itself?

No this tab should close itself. You should also press save on the other tab.

9 hours ago, Omega482 said:

gewqsVj.png

EDIT: BTW, Im looking for help writing a plugin. It needs to be able to point my models at the stock texture files. I think Lack wrote a similar plugin for his SXT mod

p.s. this is in no way discussuion of opening or using the game files. Simply that id like to point my models at the game textures post loading.

I like your efforts and your work, but don't take the wrong path into the license hell.

The stock textures are accessible from the unity materials through the shader, but you would have to write an plugin for that and you have no idea which texture looks like, as you cannot save them and they don't have names. It would take a lot of effort and time to make them usable, a lot more than creating your own textures which follow the look of the stock textures.

(please don't go the lazy way and just modify the textures you've got) 

If you have some money to spend I can think about a indy license for substance painter. I use this for my Kerbin-side rework.  This way I have a fast and easy way to get the same look and style across many assets.

2 minutes ago, Ger_space said:

I like your efforts and your work, but don't take the wrong path into the license hell.

The stock textures are accessible from the unity materials through the shader, but you would have to write an plugin for that and you have no idea which texture looks like, as you cannot save them and they don't have names. It would take a lot of effort and time to make them usable, a lot more than creating your own textures which follow the look of the stock textures.

Okay, It seems like making my own stock-a-like textures reslly is the way forward. That's more work, but do-able. thanks!

(please don't go the lazy way and just modify the textures you've got) 

Right, so my models use the stock texture sheets at the moment. I intend to remake them all as my stock-a-like version. I dont really want to go re UVmap all my models (kinda lazy). So i'll use the outlines from my uv maps like this:

IGKNgVG.png

to make the base of the texture sheet.

However, this will look very similar to the layout on the stock texture sheet. Do you think that will be a problem? In regards to Sqaud's assets?

@Ger_space so i loaded up the game, went to edit the launchsite, hit save on the launchsite editor (it didn't disappear) and hit save, as well as on the instance editor and the 'master' tab (the one that shows up when ctrl+k is hit), closed the game and then reloaded it from desktop, and still nothing has changed. I also checked the .cfg file, and there is no entry, so i'm thinking it could be something to do with the UI, or something else... thanks in advance for the help though.

@Ger_space so a slight update. i decided to see if i could edit the .cfg file to match those from 1.2.2 (copied 1.2.2 data and edited the numbers for the launchsite) (instance was already set nicely) and it managed to show up in the KerbalKonstructs Launcexcrementse selection screen in the SPH, yet when i click it to set as launchsite, and then click the SPH's launch button, i am met with a " 'Insert runway name here' is out of service" error and i dont know what could be causing it. i made sure the data was in the exact same places as 1.2.2 and the file saved properly, not sure where to go from here

13 hours ago, Dgraz22 said:

@Ger_space so a slight update. i decided to see if i could edit the .cfg file to match those from 1.2.2 (copied 1.2.2 data and edited the numbers for the launchsite) (instance was already set nicely) and it managed to show up in the KerbalKonstructs Launcexcrementse selection screen in the SPH, yet when i click it to set as launchsite, and then click the SPH's launch button, i am met with a " 'Insert runway name here' is out of service" error and i dont know what could be causing it. i made sure the data was in the exact same places as 1.2.2 and the file saved properly, not sure where to go from here

Ok I finally found some time to check this and it's not working for me. I'm investigating it right now. Sorry for the delay.

hey @Ger_space finally got around to testing out that new version... whenever i load it up, im unable to access the VAB and SPH, and when going to another building (tracking, R&D, mission control, etc) the UI freezes and i have to force close the game from the desktop... Game works fine without the mod installed. attempted with using the same directory as last install, as well as a fresh 1.3 download and fresh KK download...

3 hours ago, Dgraz22 said:

hey @Ger_space finally got around to testing out that new version... whenever i load it up, im unable to access the VAB and SPH, and when going to another building (tracking, R&D, mission control, etc) the UI freezes and i have to force close the game from the desktop... Game works fine without the mod installed. attempted with using the same directory as last install, as well as a fresh 1.3 download and fresh KK download...

I need your ksp log files, when the error occurs. I have no idea what happens.

4 hours ago, Ger_space said:

I need your ksp log files, when the error occurs. I have no idea what happens.

I have recieved some complaints about the same thing in the GPP thread. Mostly people are getting trapped in buildings around KSC and having to force quit. I'll see if I can get some logs together for you from them.