[1.8.1] Kerbal Konstructs - 1.8.1.15 - 15.Dec.2019

Ger_space

@Eskandare

On 3/20/2018 at 12:48 AM, Eskandare said:

Just as @Ger_space mentioned above @Omega482, and I are remaking Kerbin Side. The tentative title is Kerbin Side Remastered.

Just a small teaser of the new KSC upgrades just to show off the style and quality of the work being done.

Looking forward to it, the taxiways seem very useful, recently, I was driving an airport shuttle bus kind of thing in stock, but had to drive on the runway, which is unrealistic. Maybe, you can make like a bus stop at the ksc, maybe near the Astronaut Complex.

Just in case someone missed this:

The latest Release for 1.3.1 received some small bugfixes:

aaaaaand: I have a preview release for KSP 1.4.1 (working without DLC)

in the 1.4.1 release there is some small limitation with the kerbin-side multilaunch sites. They now default all to the SPH and are not usable in the VAB anymore. I couldn't change this for now, because some internal checks within KSP only allow a launchsite to be used by one facility. 
As Kerbin-Side will be reworked, this feature might die off in the future. I'll adapt the Spuad standard, so one launchsite is only accessable in one Facility. Maybe I can change this for DLC users (so they can play the original Kerbin-Side way), but  don't own the expasntion yet, so I cannot test it more 

Changes in the 1.3.1 branch:
* Fixed severals bugs in the statics editor and launchsite editor
* Fixed and expection in the AutoKouse module
* Fixed a bug in the release before that, which was not announced here.

Future plans: 

Going on vacation for two weeks. No Coding during that time. 

So many exciting things going on in here!

Is the new KerbinSide planned to be compatible with KSC++ like the previous version was? It seems to me that the new taxiways are in the same place as some of the hangars. I won't mind if the new version of KS is better than KSC++ though. :wink:

@Eskandare

3 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

So many exciting things going on in here!

Is the new KerbinSide planned to be compatible with KSC++ like the previous version was? It seems to me that the new taxiways are in the same place as some of the hangars. I won't mind if the new version of KS is better than KSC++ though. :wink:

@Eskandare

The new Kerbin Side is better then KSC ++ minus the animated roads. I want to keep all calls to the GPU to a minimum. Some of Lack's models got upgraded and implemented with the new KSC upgrades. I kept my version Lack's old approach lights, but added new lighting effects. These are located at the 120 degree approach, runway 12. The 90 Degree approach, runway 09 has a new ALSF-2 approach lighting. I had permission to use Lack's models ages ago, if anyone is curious, so Lack gets credit for a few things.

5 hours ago, Ger_space said:

in the 1.4.1 release there is some small limitation with the kerbin-side multilaunch sites. They now default all to the SPH and are not usable in the VAB anymore. I couldn't change this for now, because some internal checks within KSP only allow a launchsite to be used by one facility. 
As Kerbin-Side will be reworked, this feature might die off in the future. I'll adapt the Spuad standard, so one launchsite is only accessable in one Facility. Maybe I can change this for DLC users (so they can play the original Kerbin-Side way), but  don't own the expasntion yet, so I cannot test it more 

Well that's sad. Guess it's gonna be forever 1.3.1 for me.

5 hours ago, Ger_space said:

Going on vacation for two weeks. No Coding during that time.

Have fun on your vacation!

5 hours ago, Eskandare said:

The new Kerbin Side is better then KSC ++ minus the animated roads. I want to keep all calls to the GPU to a minimum. Some of Lack's models got upgraded and implemented with the new KSC upgrades. I kept my version Lack's old approach lights, but added new lighting effects. These are located at the 120 degree approach, runway 12. The 90 Degree approach, runway 09 has a new ALSF-2 approach lighting. I had permission to use Lack's models ages ago, if anyone is curious, so Lack gets credit for a few things.

Really looking forward to this one! Since there will be no more animated roads, does that mean that I need to add the yellow trucks (as a real vessel using a different mod) manually by myself?

Cheers~

57 minutes ago, johnkeale said:

Well that's sad. Guess it's gonna be forever 1.3.1 for me.

As I understand it, this basically means VAB only goes to Launchpads and SPH only go to Runways and hopefully water launch points.

59 minutes ago, johnkeale said:

Really looking forward to this one! Since there will be no more animated roads, does that mean that I need to add the yellow trucks (as a real vessel using a different mod) manually by myself?

@Omega482's contribution has static service vehicles and equipment that can be placed about KSC and other airfields/launch facilities. @blackheart612 has a mod called Grounded where you can make your own stock-alike vehicles. 

As a note I always felt Kerbin Side and KSC++ were very over cluttered, I often ended deleting most of the useless stuff. Airfields are often sparse with large open areas made up of taxi ways, runways, and greens or rough in between. There is generally one major building, usually a terminal with an adjoining or sometimes disconnected control tower. There are a few hangers, machine shops and often there will be a fuel tank farm for refueling aircraft. Overall, an airfield is a product of function. What I bring to Kerbin Side Remastered is the Japanese philosophy of "beauty through simplicity." In other words, there doesn't need to be a whole lot of cluttering elements to make any of the airfields beautiful, functional, and enjoyable by players. There will be a few precursor buildings and components to my Supply and Demand mod, as I had realized the Kerbin Side needed to be completely remade to make S&D work seamlessly.  I have plans to make simple functional highways at some point, but there is a lot very careful planning to add them without disturbing the carefully applied aesthetic. "lets make Kerbin beautiful again..." (Yeh, I know that was lame)

1 hour ago, Eskandare said:

As I understand it, this basically means VAB only goes to Launchpads and SPH only go to Runways and hopefully water launch points.

Really? 

Oh yeah, now that I read it a second time. Multilaunch sites are facilites that can function both as runway and launchpad right? So, what Ger_space meant was that multilaunch sites will just work with SPH, not with VAB. This means that for VAB, only launch sites of type launchpad can be seleccted. Everything else (hopefully) can be selected. I kinda jumped the gun there because Ger said that the feature might die off. 

@Omega482's contribution has static service vehicles and equipment that can be placed about KSC and other airfields/launch facilities. @blackheart612 has a mod called Grounded where you can make your own stock-alike vehicles. 

Yeah, I actually have @blackheart612's mod installed and am really enjoying it so far. :wink: 

The parts in that mod are fantastic(I've been having such a blast building different kinds of trucks and jeeps), but I actually want the one running around inside the VAB (the yellow one seater one). I actually googled it and found it to be related to Lack's mod, which you mentioned previously, so I will probably just install that.

It looks like that mod has been updated greatly after I have downloaded it, seeing there are more parts and it has the yellow one-seater truck that I was looking for (I think). Will be checking that out when I got home from work :D

As a note I always felt Kerbin Side and KSC++ were very over cluttered, I often ended deleting most of the useless stuff. Airfields are often sparse with large open areas made up of taxi ways, runways, and greens or rough in between. There is generally one major building, usually a terminal with an adjoining or sometimes disconnected control tower. There are a few hangers, machine shops and often there will be a fuel tank farm for refueling aircraft.

KSC++ was fantastic! But I thought it was over cluttered too. My computer is also not that powerful, so having KSC++ really makes it slow. When I removed KSC++ I was really thrilled to discover that the tunnel leading outside of KSC (as well as the offices and campuses) are actually Kerbin-side's statics and not KSC++. Because of this, I stuck to just having the Kerbin-side installed in my playthrough. Which reminds me, in the upcoming revamp of Kerbin-side, will you include a road from KSC that leads to somewhere else? I actually loved this part of Kerbin-side because it adds some sort of realism. Without this static, KSC seems like an island with no way of anyone or anything getting to it, which kinda breaks my immersion to the game. So I was really really elated to discover Kerbin-side adds some sort of tunnel from KSC leading somewhere else.

Overall, an airfield is a product of function. What I bring to Kerbin Side Remastered is the Japanese philosophy of "beauty through simplicity." In other words, there doesn't need to be a whole lot of cluttering elements to make any of the airfields beautiful, functional, and enjoyable by players.

I completely agree with this!

There will be a few precursor buildings and components to my Supply and Demand mod, as I had realized the Kerbin Side needed to be completely remade to make S&D work seamlessly.  I have plans to make simple functional highways at some point, but there is a lot very careful planning to add them without disturbing the carefully applied aesthetic.

Oh man, I was really looking forward to the Kerbin-side remaster, but now you made me look forward more. I'm so hyped right now! > _ < I have also just discovered your plans for S&D and I am looking forward to it :)

"lets make Kerbin beautiful again..." (Yeh, I know that was lame)

It's not :D Let's make Kerbin beautiful again! XD

Edited by johnkeale
Correction for the grounded mods

6 hours ago, Eskandare said:

As a note I always felt Kerbin Side and KSC++ were very over cluttered, I often ended deleting most of the useless stuff. Airfields are often sparse with large open areas made up of taxi ways, runways, and greens or rough in between. There is generally one major building, usually a terminal with an adjoining or sometimes disconnected control tower. There are a few hangers, machine shops and often there will be a fuel tank farm for refueling aircraft. Overall, an airfield is a product of function.

That is definitely true for airfields, but the KSC is more than just an airfield.  if you look at maps of the actual Kennedy Space Center you will find there's a whole lot of apparently random buildings and roads and things all over the place. Of course, in the real KSC, the VAB and the launch pad are miles apart.

On 20/03/2018 at 4:48 AM, Eskandare said:

Just as @Ger_space mentioned above @Omega482, and I are remaking Kerbin Side. The tentative title is Kerbin Side Remastered.

Just a small teaser of the new KSC upgrades just to show off the style and quality of the work being done.

9oZAMha.png

2fXX14M.png

oe7t8sE.png

This. This may well drag me back to KSP, because this is freakin awesome.

21 minutes ago, AlphaAsh said:

This. This may well drag me back to KSP, because this is freakin awesome.

Hi @AlphaAsh, we're remaking everything. Please take no offense, the old stuff went in the bin. Many aspects are being kept, like locations and some launch sites. Right now I'm rebuilding round range. Area 110011 is being changed to Hex, Area 33 and is being loosely modeled off of the real Homey airfield (ICAO: KXTA). Want to make you're own U2 and OXCART project?  

cUvJ0gw.jpg

Edited by Eskandare

I tried visiting some Kerbin-side bases with terrain settings set to max, and oh boy what beauty I was able to behold. I might be overreacting, but I really felt elated to see the bases that I reported before to be in their proper positions. (Now I am able to see this resort Jeb hides into when I need him for another test flight.)

I was fine before with some of the bases working and some not. At least I know they are there which makes Kerbin feel less empty. But now to see them in their glory really fills me with joy. 

@Ger_space, Eskandre was right. That's one less issue for you. :) (Maybe I should post this on the Kerbin-side thread?)

@Eskandare, are you showing off a new static? Sorry I can't clearly see on mobile, but it seems pretty nice!

12 hours ago, johnkeale said:

@Eskandare, are you showing off a new static? Sorry I can't clearly see on mobile, but it seems pretty nice!

Yeh, I was showing off the 1700m runway with auto numbering,

I'm working on the 2500m, and just made the basic model for a 4400m runway with an arc minute curve due to the length. I think the 1700m and 2500m runways may be okay without the curve to match kerbin, but I may have to add them in later. The goofy thing with KSP is that the planet is ~1:60th the scale but uses 1:1 measurements and physics, thus shifting a Nautical Mile from 1 arcmin to 1 degree. Generally KSP aircraft need at least 750m of runway. KSP turbine aircraft need at least 1000m and KSC doesn't have an overrun section. I'm trying to make the runways FAR compatible, as you need much more runway in FAR

KSP scaling is goofy, I call it Little Prince Syndrome (LPS for short.)

Edited by Eskandare

13 hours ago, DracoSilverpath said:

So I grabbed the 1.4.1 preview release posted above and fired up the game, but the Konstructs button isn't anywhere to be found... :( Anyone else messed around with it + expansion?

Hmm that's strange. Maybe there was a crash during load and KK died a horrible death.

Please open an issue on github and upload the logfile there, so I can look at it after my vacation 

Hi all,

the Modulemanager patches because the AutoGrasDemo.cfg name changed. Notice the space in front of ".cfg".

[LOG 20:03:19.679] [ModuleManager] Changes :
Added   : KerbalKonstructs/FreeStatics/KKflagDemo/AutoGrasDemo .cfg
Deleted : KerbalKonstructs/FreeStatics/KKflagDemo/AutoGrasDemo.cfg

I didn't checked, how often that happens, tho. Will this file be auto-generated or is it maybe enough to just rename it?

BR
JebsSY

Edited by Jebs_SY

Is that an AMBULANCE I spot on the dock?? :o

On 3/20/2018 at 12:48 AM, Eskandare said:

Spoiler

9oZAMha.png

Spoiler

2fXX14M.png

Spoiler

oe7t8sE.png

WHOOOOOOOAA!!! APPROACH LIGHTING?!!!

TAXI WAY LIGHTING??? 

MOAAAAR TAXIWAYS??? HOLY LIVING CRAP!!! *Dies*

Are there plans to add more than one runway in the future? I've always wanted an Int'l airport at the KSC. :D

Glad to see this mods getting the much needed love it deserves! cant wait for that new mod release. Is that going to take over kerbal konstructs? Like will mods like Kerbin Side GAP still need Kerbal konstructs as a dependency or is that all going to change with the new Kerbin side version being worked on?

4 hours ago, Controllerless said:

Glad to see this mods getting the much needed love it deserves! cant wait for that new mod release. Is that going to take over kerbal konstructs? Like will mods like Kerbin Side GAP still need Kerbal konstructs as a dependency or is that all going to change with the new Kerbin side version being worked on?

Kerbal konstructs is the plug-in that loads and controls all the assets that are distributed by other content packs like Kerbin-side. (Or ksc++ and others)

They are "only" cfg files and 3d models which provide no further functionionality. 

Kerbin-side remastered will replace the 3d models and the look of the bases of Kerbin-side, but not the names and thier locations. They will be also using more advanced features provided by the latest versions of kerbal konstructs. 

@Ger_spaceI’m having an issue with some launch locations not working correctly with the 1.4 (dev?) version. The new launch locations work fine in 1.3.1, but selecting the same launch pad in 1.4 always puts my vessel on the stock launch pad or runway depending on where I made my vessel. 

10 minutes ago, Galileo said:

@Ger_spaceI’m having an issue with some launch locations not working correctly with the 1.4 (dev?) version. The new launch locations work fine in 1.3.1, but selecting the same launch pad in 1.4 always puts my vessel on the stock launch pad or runway depending on where I made my vessel. 

1.4 is for ksp 1.4.1. ( Only tested without the expansion) 

I have no idea about any side effects of the expansion or ksp 1.4.2.

Using the 1.4 version on 1.3 will fail as well, because the launchsites will not be set up correctly.