Ger_space

[1.8.1] Kerbal Konstructs - 1.8.1.2 - 10.Nov.2019

Recommended Posts

Hi all there are still many "I wonder if's" regarding Kerbal Konstructs, one that occured late late  last night is demonstrated below, i think this may have enough fease (measurement/value of feasibility)  to become something interesting

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having an issue where the Instances of statics that I've added do not show up in the KSC screen, but show up when in fligh. Prepacked instances such as @SpannerMonkey(smce)'s Harbors show up fine everywhere. Is there a step I'm missing while saving?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nightside said:

I'm having an issue where the Instances of statics that I've added do not show up in the KSC screen, but show up when in fligh. Prepacked instances such as @SpannerMonkey(smce)'s Harbors show up fine everywhere. Is there a step I'm missing while saving?

Yes you need to add any object you want to appear in space center view to the KSCUpgrades group,   you do this in the main gui window  select, do not spell it wrong or they'll all disappear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just realised I posted in the old thread (D'OH) so here is what I posted there as this thread is more active.

been having a bit of fun with this mod today, had no idea it had all the facility staff management aspects, which is pretty cool but gave me a few questions.

1. how do I change if a facility is available at the start of a game or needs to be opened/bought.

2. anyone know if the tracker/ radar works like stock ground stations, with only needing to be opened?

3. does this work with the multiplayer mod?

4. Is it possible to make the buildings destructible? (or is that a question for Kerbal Konstructs)

 

Have had some nice Ideas of things I could do using the things within this mod, and have only just started scratching the surface of both KK and K-S and I am liking what I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to make landing-only sites that have a recovery factor attached? Apologies if I have missed this information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ger_space or anyone else @SpannerMonkey(smce)... a couple of question(s).

  1. Is it possible (or could it be) to have a kerbal 'construct' a static ingame... I'm thinking along the lines of Ground Construction regarding time and such.  Land where you want, then mark out a site, then 'build' a static, but it happens only the course of a number of days and requires particular part to be present nearby such ISRU, drills, or resources 'available' to the kerbal?
  2. Is it possible to make a static such as a flat pad that has colouring dependent on the biome that you are in?

I'm not asking if its in the game, only whether it may be possible.  I don't want to delay current the current project (especially and hopefully stock static additions!) Ger-space's time is too valuable, and I am sure SpannerMonkey's is too.

Peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ger_space any toutrials on where to get started if you want to make a mod whith kerbal konstructs

oh and which 3d editor do you use to make the bases

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/04/2017 at 10:17 AM, theJesuit said:

@Ger_space or anyone else @SpannerMonkey(smce)... a couple of question(s).

  1. Is it possible (or could it be) to have a kerbal 'construct' a static ingame... I'm thinking along the lines of Ground Construction regarding time and such.  Land where you want, then mark out a site, then 'build' a static, but it happens only the course of a number of days and requires particular part to be present nearby such ISRU, drills, or resources 'available' to the kerbal?
  2. Is it possible to make a static such as a flat pad that has colouring dependent on the biome that you are in?

I'm not asking if its in the game, only whether it may be possible.  I don't want to delay current the current project (especially and hopefully stock static additions!) Ger-space's time is too valuable, and I am sure SpannerMonkey's is too.

Peace.

1 it'd be a great addition but I'm not sure if its possible without the part not being a static. I've messed with several games that do this over the years in one way or another and in all cases it results in much much larger and more complex files as there is usually some requirement for a build stages animation or some way to approximate the passage of time and project completion,

2, I think it'd make the code a lot more complex as the plugin would need to monitor where the static was placed, something it currently could nt care less about.  BUT I have often wished for the texture switch module to be able to work on a static model, enabling a texture switch would allow for user switchable maps for the simple stuff I say simple stuff as  the kerbinside current method of texture application does not favor this option as most models use disparate textures rather than any unified texture map.  Things like base parts hexpads etc would work well wit a texture switch as they have an all over texture application,

1 hour ago, rkarmark said:

@Ger_space any toutrials on where to get started if you want to make a mod whith kerbal konstructs

oh and which 3d editor do you use to make the bases

Hi there hasn't been a tutorial for KK since it was Kerbtown,  That said it's not difficult to make KK statics,  if you have a basic level of skill with 3d and unity it's a breeze. . 

Any 3d program that exports in a format unity can understand can be used doesn't matter.  The models are fairly simple, animations are possible but tbh it's been so long since i've done an animated static I'm not even sure if the old methods still work.

Basic good modelling practices should be observed, as KK can get upset ,losing it's ability to save or launch properly by seemingly insignificant model problems.  Things like loose edges, detached vertices, too many objects or colliders can all cause ongoing problems. So simple is good, the fewer objects and colliders you use the less the static will impact a game, for example 1 nameless static in the kerbinside  packs has a greater effect on the game than the 4km long multiple part  static bridge(shown elsewhere in thread) purely due to the nature of the model and colliders that define it .

Actually a good way to define the best style to use would be to describe it as a low poly environment, yeah sure you can have 1000's of polys but the game ultimately feels the load,  so you get a bit tricky and use things like alpha cutoff shaders(unity things) to simulate many polys where there are actually very few, the cranes in my statics mod use this to the max and without the textures they are horribly simple models, with very little definition to the mesh

Models are aligned in the normal unity way with the bottom being the bottom, rather than some odd rotation.  Not much more I can say, apart from that if you decide to make some statics I'd be happy to help resolve any issues you encounter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Any 3d program that exports in a format unity can understand can be used doesn't matter.  The models are fairly simple, animations are possible but tbh it's been so long since i've done an animated static I'm not even sure if the old methods still work.

okay but which 3d pogram do you recomend?

oh and i have 0 knoweage in unity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rkarmark said:

okay but which 3d pogram do you recomend?

oh and i have 0 knoweage in unity

Thats a bit like asking what style of haircut you prefer, it's really all down to personal likes and dislikes. I use 3dsMax and find it works for me, I've tried all sorts of other things along the way but nothing really does the job for me like max.  Many however use Blender and would never use anything else and I'd say more KSP mods come via Blender than anywhere else and it's the program 99% of all the tutorials are for, then there's sketchup, Maya. Wings3d and a host of others.  SO you choose whats works best for your brain :) 

I'd say get your modelling and texturing  together then worry about Unity especially if you've not done 3d before, 1 learning curve at a time :)   As it stands you can use any unity version from 4.2.2 to 5.4(last check)  each have their benefits or downsides too, newer versions can't animate emissives natively, so a lot of people are still making rocket engines in 4.2.2,  as the workaround color animation editor that comes in the part tools is a lot harder to get good engine heat fx from than the earlier type curve based animation (IMO) . The later versions have better shader options,  part tools has a couple of handy toys included too that are .not in the early versions. I use 5.2.4 for almost everything these days though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12.4.2017 at 0:06 AM, PistonMiner said:

Is it possible to make landing-only sites that have a recovery factor attached? Apologies if I have missed this information.

Not that I`m aware of. But you never have to use a specific site for launching a ship. Sorry but I`m confused. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31.3.2017 at 1:38 PM, VShadow said:

Just realised I posted in the old thread (D'OH) so here is what I posted there as this thread is more active.

been having a bit of fun with this mod today, had no idea it had all the facility staff management aspects, which is pretty cool but gave me a few questions.

1. how do I change if a facility is available at the start of a game or needs to be opened/bought.

2. anyone know if the tracker/ radar works like stock ground stations, with only needing to be opened?

3. does this work with the multiplayer mod?

4. Is it possible to make the buildings destructible? (or is that a question for Kerbal Konstructs)

 

Have had some nice Ideas of things I could do using the things within this mod, and have only just started scratching the surface of both KK and K-S and I am liking what I see.

1. You can set the opencost to 0. Then the Facility will be always be open.

2. After banging my head for pretty long time and getting frustrated with it:. Stock Comm Relays will not be supported, because you have to enable the "extra Groundstations" setting but then you don`t need KK radar station any more. RemoteTech is more sane and when I finish my current gardening projects, I will implement RT support ( Coding a reflection API is not pretty, for such an amount of needed functions, bu it can be done).

3. I never testet or played it. 

4. I`m sorry, but no. The amount of hacking spad has done to make the KSP destructible is to much for to little gain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ger_space said:

2. After banging my head for pretty long time and getting frustrated with it:. Stock Comm Relays will not be supported, because you have to enable the "extra Groundstations" setting but then you don`t need KK radar station any more. RemoteTech is more sane and when I finish my current gardening projects, I will implement RT support ( Coding a reflection API is not pretty, for such an amount of needed functions, bu it can be done).

If that's what I think it is... 'gardening'... creating objects  to plant?!

If not, but rather a more RL garden, then happy Easter planting!

Peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys!

I'm trying to put something together for livestreamers and youtubers that involves KK and I need some help to see if it could work.

 

The main idea is a 24/7 DMP server (multiplayer mod) where every player has its own launchsite spread across Kerbin.

Is it possible to spread launchsites around Kerbin that look like the original KSC

(I would prefer to keep (some of) the existing ones as an addition if possible)

 

Let me know what you think and if its possible :)

Keep Calm

and

Keep Kerbaling!

 

-Mil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to get the Floodlights updated for the KSP 1.2+

It mostly seems to work, except there appears to be an animation which turns the lights on/off when clicking on the towers, but that's not happening.

The code in the file is this:

	MODULE
	{
		namespace = KerbalKonstructs
		name = AnimateOnClick
		collider = Floodlight.KSC.tower
		animationName = FLKSC
	}

I've checked the .mu file, the collider  and animationName are correct.

Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked at the code, and I'm rather puzzled.

All the fields which need to be passed in are just there as public, not as KSPField(...)

So how can the data listed in the module config be passed in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm trying to get the Floodlights updated for the KSP 1.2+

It mostly seems to work, except there appears to be an animation which turns the lights on/off when clicking on the towers, but that's not happening.

The code in the file is this:


	MODULE
	{
		namespace = KerbalKonstructs
		name = AnimateOnClick
		collider = Floodlight.KSC.tower
		animationName = FLKSC
	}

I've checked the .mu file, the collider  and animationName are correct.

Any ideas?

I use the flood lights in GPP and the lights turn on and off just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Galileo said:

I use the flood lights in GPP and the lights turn on and off just fine.

Can you post a video so I can see it?

Also, I assume you are using the Kerbal Konstructs 0.9.8.9?

thanks

I got it working.

I had to turn down the ambient light, and then it was visible.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AlphaAsh

Would you be able to get the Kerbin-side mods updated with the latest version of KK?  If not, would it be OK if I did (essentially by repackaging everything with the current version of KK and uploading to spacedock)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2017 at 4:17 AM, theJesuit said:

@Ger_space or anyone else @SpannerMonkey(smce)... a couple of question(s).

  1. Is it possible (or could it be) to have a kerbal 'construct' a static ingame... I'm thinking along the lines of Ground Construction regarding time and such.  Land where you want, then mark out a site, then 'build' a static, but it happens only the course of a number of days and requires particular part to be present nearby such ISRU, drills, or resources 'available' to the kerbal?
  2. Is it possible to make a static such as a flat pad that has colouring dependent on the biome that you are in?

I'm not asking if its in the game, only whether it may be possible.  I don't want to delay current the current project (especially and hopefully stock static additions!) Ger-space's time is too valuable, and I am sure SpannerMonkey's is too.

Peace.

@theJesuit, that reminds me strongly of NIMBY, which is a separate plugin that @magico13 has been working on. Beta version in this thread:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@AlphaAsh

Would you be able to get the Kerbin-side mods updated with the latest version of KK?  If not, would it be OK if I did (essentially by repackaging everything with the current version of KK and uploading to spacedock)?

they are working with the latest Version of KSP. I have his permission to udate Kerbin-Side, but it would only a version bumb without any real benefit and I'm lazy.

On 4/17/2017 at 10:39 AM, theJesuit said:

If that's what I think it is... 'gardening'... creating objects  to plant?!

If not, but rather a more RL garden, then happy Easter planting!

Peace.

It's RL gardening. like cutting down trees and thorns and making two raised beds... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2017 at 11:17 AM, theJesuit said:

@Ger_space or anyone else @SpannerMonkey(smce)... a couple of question(s).

  1. Is it possible (or could it be) to have a kerbal 'construct' a static ingame... I'm thinking along the lines of Ground Construction regarding time and such.  Land where you want, then mark out a site, then 'build' a static, but it happens only the course of a number of days and requires particular part to be present nearby such ISRU, drills, or resources 'available' to the kerbal?
  2. Is it possible to make a static such as a flat pad that has colouring dependent on the biome that you are in?

I'm not asking if its in the game, only whether it may be possible.  I don't want to delay current the current project (especially and hopefully stock static additions!) Ger-space's time is too valuable, and I am sure SpannerMonkey's is too.

Peace.

1. I theory yes. But you need an interface and it needs to be balanced for cost, resources etc... that nothing I'm really good at. If someone steps up and will help me, I'm happy to implement it. 
Also there might be some issues with save-game persistence. Currently the statics are loaded at game-startup and not at save-load. 

2. It is possible (and planned) to add support for placing MapDecals. look at the flat areas around the KSP or the pyramids. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ger_space said:

they are working with the latest Version of KSP. I have his permission to udate Kerbin-Side, but it would only a version bumb without any real benefit and I'm lazy

Could you at least bump the compatible version on Spacedock to 1.2.2?

I noticed that none of the files include a .version file, that would be useful for the next release, to allow CKAN and AVC to both be able to identify which version of KSP they are compatible with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, million_lights said:

Hey Guys!

I'm trying to put something together for livestreamers and youtubers that involves KK and I need some help to see if it could work.

 

The main idea is a 24/7 DMP server (multiplayer mod) where every player has its own launchsite spread across Kerbin.

Is it possible to spread launchsites around Kerbin that look like the original KSC

(I would prefer to keep (some of) the existing ones as an addition if possible)

 

Let me know what you think and if its possible :)

Keep Calm

and

Keep Kerbaling!

 

-Mil

I remember @Cydonian Monk saying on his Ad Lunam thread that he used some RSS code to move KSC around Kerbin - maybe you could do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.