Nasty rover-destroying texture seams on Eve.

cephalo

So I'm trying to drive a small rover over a large distance on Eve, and there are these devastating seams in the vertex texures that cause it to explode if I don't go very slow over them. it's tricky because they aren't visible from every angle. It's a tortuous process of save scumming to get anywhere. (That said, wheels work great in 1.2!)

Anyway I think I know what the problem might be. Blending vertex textures together is very different from blending pixel textures. Pixel textures are designed to tile adjacent one another, while vertex textures have to overlap by one texel so you are using the same data for two tile edges. Otherwise, whatever interpolation method you use is going to be slightly different along the edges of the patches. It might not look terrible, but it sends small rover launching in the air on Eve...

Edited by cephalo

54 minutes ago, GluttonyReaper said:

And here was me expecting some mean bully rover going around beating up those innocent texture seams. :(

Lol, my rover is so nasty. Someone secretly suggested some grammatical advice. I should change it.

Edited by cephalo

16 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

As far as I can tell, they're new with Unity 5.

I don't remember encountering those seams in 1.1.x, which was when Unity 5 was introduced, so I don't think we can chalk this one up to Unity. Something else changed from 1.1.x to 1.2.x for those seams to appear.

28 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

I don't remember encountering those seams in 1.1.x, which was when Unity 5 was introduced, so I don't think we can chalk this one up to Unity. Something else changed from 1.1.x to 1.2.x for those seams to appear.

Interesting.  I skipped 1.1, so can't really comment on it.

On 11/10/2016 at 7:37 PM, cephalo said:

Anyway I think I know what the problem might be. Blending vertex textures together is very different from blending pixel textures. Pixel textures are designed to tile adjacent one another, while vertex textures have to overlap by one texel so you are using the same data for two tile edges. Otherwise, whatever interpolation method you use is going to be slightly different along the edges of the patches.

Can the above explain why in some places the seams leave a gap big enough to move an entire craft or rover into the core of the planet/moon one is on? I've already found at least one such location, and reported it (report #13190).

*shrug* I can say the gaps on Duna I have seen so far are harmless. Clearly visible, cause a perceptible bump in driving, but nothing worse than normal terrain irregularities. Generally, if I drive so fast that the seam/gap could kill me, a standard valley/hill will definitely kill me. But that's me, duna and the yellow trucky from VAB. Dunno about other bodies or places or wheels.

(also circled Minmus with Caribou wheels, no harm. Though I imagine it might be different for the tiny wheels.)

Edited by Sharpy

1 hour ago, Sharpy said:

I imagine it might be different for the tiny wheels

It is. Spent some 2 hours driving a tiny rover about on Mun. Crashes due to reckless driving = 1. Crashes due to terrain seams = 6. Never exceeded 15 m/s. There's a clear winner here.

The problem is not that there's an irregularity, it's that it's an instant transition. Combined with the obviously-not-wheels, clearly-not-round behaviour of "wheels" in KSP this results in getting stuck or flipping end-for-end when hitting seams head on, and sudden roll-overs when hitting them at an angle. A heavier vehicle helps in damping the violent not-suspension shenanigans , but given that the defining trait of space rovers is that they tend to be light... fun fun fun.

This was raised in the pre-release (at least the seams on Kerbin / runway). SQUAD, y u no fix?

Edited by steve_v

This is a bug that was introduced with 1.2. At first I thought it was something I was doing wrong when I was working on SVT, but after running a purely stock game I have noticed the seams as well.  I'm happy it wasn't anything I was doing wrong,  but man is it annoying. makes rover exploration nearly impossible.  C'mon QA team.  I would think this is a really hard thing to over look. I'm am typically very patient,  and really don't like having updates every month but I am eagerly awaiting a fix for this. I haven't checked to see if there is a bug report for this already.  If not I'll make my way to the bug tracker and make one.  That's if Squad hasn't already noticed this issuekdDqqnJ.png

Edited by Galileo

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

This is a bug that was introduced with 1.2. At first I thought it was something I was doing wrong when I was working on SVT, but after running a purely stock game I have noticed the seams as well.  I'm happy it wasn't anything I was doing wrong,  but man is it annoying. makes rover exploration nearly impossible.  C'mon QA team! kdDqqnJ.png

Not sure if it's a bug I think it's an Kerbin quake :/ Oh and does this effect rovers that came with the game? like the "Crater Crawler?"

Edited by Program Kerbal Space

as someone who does nothing but either drive on kerbin or fly low level within 100km of KSC.. I can report these terrain gaps, lines and suchlike are indeed a thing.. at first I thought it was my aging video card..

im actually sad to see its not.. not only that.. the terrain itself has gone. horrid..  once smooth flowing terrain, in (default detail or high) now seems to be much low poly than it ever was before, gone is the gentle slopes, the mountains that build like waves in the ocean and the terrifying vertical slopes that once made kerbin such a pleasure and nightmare to drive

now replaced with mountains that look as though theyve had a run in with a pencil sharpner, the terrain looks as if its been attacked a katapillar grader from hell and.. lets not mention the whole strange change in IVA views that has them sitting MUCH higher than usual

id say WHY?!! but I dont know and I dont know anyone else knows why..

can we have 1.0 back? it was nice...

1.2 isnt... nice.. its nicer than 1.1

but alot less nice than 1.0

this is not a nice thing to think about :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.