The Bug Hunting Contest Winners Recap

UomoCapra

Hello everyone!

Do you remember the Bug Hunting Contest we made for the pre-release of Kerbal Space Program: Loud and Clear?

In case you forgot, it consisted of participants making quality bug reports on the pre-release project on the KSP’s Bug Tracker. The QA team would then nominate some 'bug report finalists' based on the relevance of the bug and quality of the report, and the winners were able to add a name to a kerbal or waypoint random name generator. Finally, during the 1.2 launch party that we celebrated on KSPTV with DasValdez, the Ultimate Bug Hunter was announced and received a special reward.

Once more, we want to give a huge shout out to everyone who participated and congratulate the bug hunters who could name a Kerbal or a Waypoint in the name generator.

These are those hunters and the names they chose:

At last but not the least, @Anth12 won the Ultimate Bug Hunter titel for reporting a great amount of different bugs! He send us this picture with his reward:

hoe8zyqUpJrSF5JDIO_5dBahGwwgl79sk5NzTJeq

Congratulations and thanks to all the bug hunters!

- The KSP Dev Team

11 hours ago, Ser said:

Seems like a mod to remove some kerbal names ("Vasya") from the game will be needed soon

Whats wrong with "Vasya"?   I'm presuming its a feminized William "Vasily" in Russian perhaps?

9 hours ago, klesh said:

Whats wrong with "Vasya"?   I'm presuming its a feminized William "Vasily" in Russian perhaps?

You're right but this particular form is so relaxed that is used to call somebody a fool. So I keep insisting that this is some stupid joke that could hurt the game's quality.

8 hours ago, Ser said:

You're right but this particular form is so relaxed that is used to call somebody a fool. So I keep insisting that this is some stupid joke that could hurt the game's quality.

It would only spawn very rarely. It's not like it's going to be another orange suit. It's just an extra name added to the random roster, like Kirk, Buzz, etc.

14 hours ago, Ser said:

Interesting!   Thanks for the insight, as I don't speak Russian at all.  

15 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

It would only spawn very rarely. It's not like it's going to be another orange suit. It's just an extra name added to the random roster, like Kirk, Buzz, etc.

The thing is there'll be a probability to have Vasya Kerman in the game. And once it happens what should we do? Pretend that we don't see it? You may also place a bottle of vodka on some remote planet and there'll be a low propability that someone finds it but would that be a proper official content for this particular game?

9 hours ago, Ser said:

The thing is there'll be a probability to have Vasya Kerman in the game. And once it happens what should we do? Pretend that we don't see it? You may also place a bottle of vodka on some remote planet and there'll be a low propability that someone finds it but would that be a proper official content for this particular game?

You could just not hire that particular Kerbal?

I'm a little late to submit a bug, but I found this little one recently and I can't find a good place to post it:

(Spoiler-ed just in-case I screwed up and that there was a topic for this)

Spoiler

Apparently, when creating a new craft, you can use any of the Landing gear parts as the root for a new Rocket/Plane.

c5M7w6e.jpg

This raises a huge issue if you do so...

...in that you cannot attach anything to it, not even structural components:

henKbRY.jpg

Its not exactly game-breaking, but its still a thing that can (and should) be easily fixed.

True, but that won't stop the name appearing on the available for hire roster.

It makes sense to me that as many of these little things like that are removed or avoided as much as is possible.  They don't affect game play,  and if a risk of offending people can be avoided then that's a good thing IMO. 

Imagine if the squad team's English was not as good as it is and they let F#*k or Sh^tface Kerman slip through the net.  Personally I would find it quite funny, but very inappropriate, many others may well not share my open minded sense of humour and be quite offended.

Edited by pandaman

21 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

I could. But I can't avoid visiting astronaut complex. And what else shouldn't I do to avoid Vasya Kerman? Playing the game?

20 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

So are you saying that  Vasya Kerman is less like "Fool Kerman" and more like "F***er Kerman?" As in, the phrase refers to something much more offensive than "fool" is in english?

I'm not saying that. "Vasya" is almost equal to "fool" when used in that particular form on purpose (like in our case: why not "Vasily" which would be much more acceptable?).

The effect is following:

Every russian would feel inconsistence when meeting "Vasya Kerman" in the game. Whatever it would cause laugh or frustration, the inconsistence exists because of

1. It's obvious that if it was chosen by the game's developers they would look through literature or the names of russian cosmonauts and chose "Vasily"

2. That means that some Vasya or, at least, russian found a way to build such an inappropriate form for the game's context into the official content, that isn't expected there at all

3. So KSP is used as a WC wall to leave "Vasya waz here" message, and that is disturbing.

You see, "Vasya" is never used in official names in conjunction with surname as well as "Vasily" is never written on a WC wall. And KSP is not intended to have an atmosphere of russian countryside, is it?

Edited by Ser