KSP Fan-Art MkII

Luigibro606

22 hours ago, Atubara said:

DeKLEvB.jpg

I previously showed this to @DjPreside but it is currently my most upvoted picture on Imgur so I decided to share it to this beloved forum. Should I do an in-depth guide? Do people want more?

As I've said, that's super cool and helpful. Your drawing is self-explanatory, but if you want you could do something about very small details! It would be amazing for example to see the anatomic structure of a Kerbal! I've seen a lot of them, rarely satisfying.

4 hours ago, Atubara said:

/snip for clarity

Just a little more tweaking on skin tone and shading and then I'll start working on an album on my Imgur about in depth kerbal anatomy and physiology. Still getting used to this tablet thing. 

When this is finished it's going on the ol' phone background rotation for sure. Really looking forward to seeing how your anatomy and physiology study comes out! 

5Z1FcE6.jpg

I think I have finally perfected the art of mathematically constructing the male kerbal's body.

My god.

The eyes are still a tad small for my liking, but whatever! I'll tweak if there's great dissatisfaction with it. I'm personally satisfied with it.

I'm too excited to think right now. I'll edit in the steps to construct the basis when I calm down for a moment.

Spoiler

I will use denominations, 'units'. With a ruler, you can replace the units with cm to construct. Create dots at the ends of lines and to denounce divisions of certain lines. Any horizontal line length given represents the total length, and should be divided evenly across the vertical axis. The first few are done for you.

Start with a vertical line, alpha, α. α is 16 units long. α is the entire height of the kerbal. The construct will not go above or below this line, only between the dots it exists.

From the very top of the line, we go down 8.45 units. This is the height of the head. This is beta, β.

Bisect β and construct the perpendicular line gamma, γ. γ is 5.25 units long total, being 2.625 units on each side of the central vertical axis, α. This is the width of the kerbal's face.

From β and γ we can construct a rectangle. Perpendicular lines at the ends of both β and γ will create the shape of the face.

At the base of the face where we previously stopped, we can draw another vertical line on the axis. Delta, δ, is the height of the neck. δ is 0.75 units tall.

Bisect δ with a perpendicular line that is 1.8 units total, 0.9 on each side of the vertical axis. This is epsilon, ε, and represents the width of the neck. Construct a rectangle for δ and ε just like we did for β and γ. This rectangle is the neck.

From the base of the neck, draw a horizontal line that is 4 units total. This is zeta, ζ, and represents the length from shoulder-to-shoulder.

From the base of the neck, draw a vertical line that is 3.75 units tall. This is eta, η, and represents the torso height.

Bisect η and draw a perpendicular line that is 4 units long. This is theta, θ. This is torso width. Let's go back and complete the face.

Divide the height (vertical length) of the face into 5 equal proportions. The middle section is the height of the eyes. That height is iota, ι. That should be around 1.69 units tall. 

To find the width of the eyes, we require calculation. Assuming the equation γ=φx+2x where φ is the golden ratio, solve for x. From both of the outer edges, draw x on the same plane as γ. This makes each eye width equal to 1 where the space between them is the golden ratio. The width of the eye is zeta, ζ. ζ is around 1.45 units. Draw a n elliptical shape to make the eyes using the axes we've drawn.

Bisect ζ and draw a perpendicular line down to the 1/5 line . For reference, the eyes were drawn between the 3/5 and 2/5 lines. The line we make is kappa, κ. κ is 3.9 units long. These are the lips.

Going back down to the body, at the bottom of the torso, we can draw the thigh gap which is lambda, λ. λ is a horizontal line that is 1 unit total.

Draw a few lines to start blocking in the torso. The end of the shoulders to the middle of the neck. The ends of the shoulders to the ends of the horizontal torso lines. The ends of the horizontal torso lines to the ends of the thigh gap. This last line we shall call tau, τ.

To start the arms, start at the ends of the shoulders. Draw an extension of the shoulder line, bisect that angle two times going closer to the body. You will end at 22.5 degrees outward from the body. This is mu, μ. μ is the upper arm and is 2 units long.

Nu, ν, is the forearm and is 1.5 units long. No special angle work is needed here. Just point this segment vertically, towards the ground.

Xi, ξ, follows the same vertical line as ν. ξ represents the length of the hand without the fingers. ξ is 1.1 units long.

The fingers are 1.4 units long, also following the same vertical line as nearly the rest of the arm. This is omnicron, ο.

We can go back to τ. Bisect τ and construct a line that is 1.5 units long and 22.5 degrees pointed outward from the vertical position downwards. This is the thigh. This is upsilon, υ.

Do the same process but in the opposite direction for the lower leg. The lower leg is rho, ρ. ρ is 1.5 units long. If drawn correctly, an isosceles triangle can be seen with angles 22.5, 22.5, and 135.

For the last construction, we have the feet. The feet height is 1.5 and represented by sigma, σ. 

Finally, we can start to round the edges of the kerbal. The body doesn't strictly adhere to the construction. The most deviance I have personally seen is the head appearing to shrink at the base and swell at the top. The feet also actually go past the guide line we made to not pass through. Where σ touches the lower end of the perpendicular line to α is where the foot touches the ground in 2D space. To make it look more realistic and less flat, draw the toes outward.

Thank you for reading. Tell me what you think! More to be added when I feel motivated enough. Tell me if I wasn't clear on something or I appeared to miss something. I suck at explaining.

Edited by Atubara
Construction steps added.

zBvZOiP.jpg

To be added to @Atubara‘s amazing work. The instructions written in my drawing are more or less the same things written in the previous post. Don’t even try to read mine, I wrote them in archaic italian, and mirrored to imitate Leonardo’s writing.

WARNING: This is NOT a rule34 drawing AT ALL. This is just a study to draw more or less correctly a Kerbal using proportions. Please be civil, I hope that you can apreciate it.