KSP Fan-Art MkII

Luigibro606

Does anybody here even realize this text doesn't make much sense? Google Translate usually messes up English-Russian translations, often to the point you have to reverse-engineer the English version to understand what it meant.

If it was meant to be "PAINT THE SKIES RED!" the correct translation is "РАСКРАСЬ НЕБЕСА КРАСНЫМ!"

27 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

Does anybody here even realize this text doesn't make much sense? Google Translate usually messes up English-Russian translations, often to the point you have to reverse-engineer the English version to understand what it meant.

If it was meant to be "PAINT THE SKIES RED!" the correct translation is "РАСКРАСЬ НЕБЕСА КРАСНЫМ!"

Look, I'm trying my best, I don't have any Russian-speakers on hand, so don't hate me.

1 minute ago, Nixod321 said:

Look, I'm trying my best, I don't have any Russian-speakers on hand, so don't hate me.

I didn't mean any hate (not towards you at least, the translator sometimes deserves it). It's just these translations sometimes mean only a total facepalm for those who can read it. (I've even seen Germans complaining about the same problems with English-German translations) BTW, on Russian-English translations it may be slightly more difficult to unrecognizably mess the syntax up (or mix up verbs, nouns and adjectives), but it still may pick totally wrong translations for half the words (one of the funniest stories I've seen was Protein Institute translated as "Squirrel Institute". Apparently that's what one of their employees wrote making English version of their website).

I just wanted to say, do not rely on autotranslators too much, especially on short phrases with ambiguous syntax.

P.S. I once contacted the developer of one game. He claimed that he paid someone for the Russian translation. And he was really surprised when I explained the amount of totally stupid mistakes that obviously pointed to Google Translate without as much as even checking the results.

1 hour ago, Alchemist said:

I didn't mean any hate (not towards you at least, the translator sometimes deserves it). It's just these translations sometimes mean only a total facepalm for those who can read it. (I've even seen Germans complaining about the same problems with English-German translations) BTW, on Russian-English translations it may be slightly more difficult to unrecognizably mess the syntax up (or mix up verbs, nouns and adjectives), but it still may pick totally wrong translations for half the words (one of the funniest stories I've seen was Protein Institute translated as "Squirrel Institute". Apparently that's what one of their employees wrote making English version of their website).

I just wanted to say, do not rely on autotranslators too much, especially on short phrases with ambiguous syntax.

P.S. I once contacted the developer of one game. He claimed that he paid someone for the Russian translation. And he was really surprised when I explained the amount of totally stupid mistakes that obviously pointed to Google Translate without as much as even checking the results.

Well then, out of desire to get future projects right, how can I get an accurate translation into a foreign language?

8 hours ago, Nixod321 said:

Well then, out of desire to get future projects right, how can I get an accurate translation into a foreign language?

I'm afraid, if you don't know the basics of how sentences are built in a specific language (and English is a terrible starting point since it lacks many nuances many other languages have), no dictionaries will help and automatic translation is too likely to misfire. Especially if you want something short and impactful (too much chance of running into vocabulary differences that require context and even some wordplay to resolve). The only sure option is to ask somebody who knows the language.

Fun fact: in Dune there's a place where a phrase in an ancient language, that is supposed to be Russian, is used. And Herbert got it completely wrong.

On April 20, 2016 at 1:44 PM, cubinator said:

This is what the loading bar feels like in 1.1 compared to how it was before:

[snip]

:D it's Kerbal fast now!

Reminds me of a similar image I did a while back:

EX69V0w.jpg

Some other oldies:

Jeb's idea of a rocket sled was more of a rocket toboggan.

pEecMEd.jpg

Of course, Jeb brought his work to his play. Luckily, his work is rocketry, and his play involves cars. Perspective is a bit borked, but "eh."

sBc8gm3.jpg

Kraken attack! This image kinda dates them all to the beginning of the B9 R5 era, when the HX parts were released.

BVNUyXw.jpg

51 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

*snip*

Nice! I mostly draw planets and alien landscapes, since I'm best at that and not great at anything else, really. I'll have to post more of my sketches later. I've got quite a few interesting ones.

On undefined at 1:23 PM, Nixod321 said:

Ask at forum, of course! At least one commentator may speak English + other language (I speak Russian and (bad) German, for example).

Also, you can use dictionary (only for single words), some other translation program or site (not so accurate or not so cheap) or give some money to man-translator (definitely not cheap at all).

On 4/17/2016 at 7:48 PM, Alchemist said:

I'm afraid, if you don't know the basics of how sentences are built in a specific language (and English is a terrible starting point since it lacks many nuances many other languages have), no dictionaries will help and automatic translation is too likely to misfire. Especially if you want something short and impactful (too much chance of running into vocabulary differences that require context and even some wordplay to resolve). The only sure option is to ask somebody who knows the language.

Fun fact: in Dune there's a place where a phrase in an ancient language, that is supposed to be Russian, is used. And Herbert got it completely wrong.

Even more fun fact. This what happens when we get a singer to use Google Translate.

42 minutes ago, Moose Rocket Science said:

where did you make them?

The basics were made in Powerpoint (great for basic geometric designs and clean sharp shapes) and the flag and poster effects were made in GIMP 2.0.

Spoiler

To make the bottom flag I took the stock "minimalistic" flag, applied it as a layer above the clean image I made in powerpoint, lowered the brightness and upped the contrast, and then adjusted the opacity of the that layer so the pattern showed through.

To make the poster I did something similar, I took the basic powerpoint image, and I added an old poster stock image from the web over top. then it was just a matter of fiddling around with Bump mapping, brightness/contrast, the unsharp mask, trimming the edges so it fits in the paper, and adding a slight rotation to finish it off.

On 7/26/2012 at 7:37 AM, Aphox said:

2uf6grt.jpg

THEN WHO WAS PILOT?

I\'m too lazy to draw it, so I\'m going to leave you all with the notion of 'angrypolarbearpilotingaspaceship.jpg'

the pilot was aerodynamic stablization :P

On 17/04/2016 at 11:27 AM, Nixod321 said:

Well, you've got attention of one. And a tiny facepalm, there you go. :)

Depending on what original meaning you have in mind, it would be "Цвет небес - красный!" (Red is the color of the skies) or "Раскрасим небо в красный" (Let's paint the sky red!). Paint as a noun does not fit here.

Edited by Psycho_zs

2 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

Well, you've got attention of one. And a tiny facepalm, there you go. :)

Depending on what original meaning you have in mind, it would be "Цвет небес - красный!" (Red is the color of the skies) or "Раскрасим небо в красный" (Let's paint the sky red!). Paint as a noun does not fit here.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Stikkychaos said:

Where do you get that minmus texture? :D 

It's actually from a photo of a salt lake bed that I added to the screenshot in Photoshop. I found one that look suitable strange, then made adjustments to it, to match the scene and blended it in with it.