Asteroids should have a little realism

Asteroids personally should have a real impact on the planet its hitting (Kerbin)

You know how 1.2 (or sooner, idk) introduced procedurally generated craters on the Mun?

Why not make it to where when an asteroid hits Kerbin. It adds a procedurally generated crater! Aswell as particle effects to the asteroid entering the atmosphere and on impact, add a texture of the impact like this.hqdefault.jpg

And after a minute or so it looks like this

meteor-crater1.png

So it looks like it cooled down.

The real reason i'm asking for this is because I think this would give a better point to redirect asteroids. I will not expect this feature to be added anytime soon. But i'm just asking for asteroid realism. Simply because right now there really isn't any point in redirecting asteroids. This would give a real point to redirect asteroids. So us, the KSP community, can have some fun redirecting asteroids. - Sincerely, KerbalMan32

10 hours ago, Benji13 said:

I totally agree. I also think that very large (or whatever the biggest is) asteroids should have a tiny amount of gravity. Would be quite hard to implement though due to KSP not having N-body physics. 

that is true. So I don't really expect this to be a feature anytime soon.

6 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Free fuel.

That is true. That is ONE point with asteroids right now. But I said REDIRECTING asteroids to save Kerbin or the Mun or Minmus or whatever.

Different shapes too! This would be fairly easy to do I think, though I don't think there's even a mod for it, so maybe not. Would be cool if the bigger asteroids had procedural craters too. If they could be given a spin with some manner of Persistent Rotation integration, redirection would be a lot more challenging.

fc85fe599f.jpg

If this will be implemented, 100% of found asteroids will be redirected to the KSC site. It will be a Kerbal B*mbardment Program.

On 12.11.2016 at 5:57 PM, Darnok said:

Also in carrier mode if asteroid hits KSC it should create large crater and be game over.

For 60 mln Kerbal years.

A budget version: crash ash spots. Doesn't change 3d model.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 12.11.2016 at 7:59 AM, KerbalMan23 said:

You know how 1.2 (or sooner, idk) introduced procedurally generated craters on the Mun?

Why not make it to where when an asteroid hits Kerbin. It adds a procedurally generated crater! Aswell as particle effects to the asteroid entering the atmosphere and on impact, add a texture of the impact like this.hqdefault.jpg

And after a minute or so it looks like this

meteor-crater1.png

Devil's advocate: Due to how the KSP terrain is implemented, any change in the heightmap requires that the entire quadtree be rebuilt. Thus any crater could only appear after a delay that is heavily dependent on the user's hardware.

On 12.11.2016 at 9:39 PM, String Witch said:

Different shapes too! This would be fairly easy to do I think, though I don't think there's even a mod for it, so maybe not. Would be cool if the bigger asteroids had procedural craters too. If they could be given a spin with some manner of Persistent Rotation integration, redirection would be a lot more challenging.

fc85fe599f.jpg

Devil's advocate: It is much, much harder to procedurally create concave shapes than convex ones. Writing a new asteroid generator might not be worth the developer time.

Reasons to even bother are worth talking about. Surely SQUAD didn't want to implement something -that if ignored- would ruin the game for you. So I'm cool with asteroids only destroying the VAB if I air-drop one on it. 

However, I'd like to suggest a satellite-intended part that monitors asteroids for you. Maybe a telescope or something. Possibly required to be in solar orbit. That way if it spots one that is on a collision path with Kerbin, you know. An alarm or something. 

It seems only 1 in 20, or so actually get close enough to worry about. And if I am mid-course to Ice Cream Land Eeloo I would never know.

Basically, I could certainly care that ALL KERBAL LIFE AS WE KNOW IT IS IN PERIL. But give me a better way to know. Otherwise, I'll be over here playing in an ice cream truck rover. 

20 hours ago, SchweinAero said:

Devil's advocate: It is much, much harder to procedurally create concave shapes than convex ones. Writing a new asteroid generator might not be worth the developer time.

Actually you could "procedurally" generate more complex convex shapes: and then use the reason why (we think) asterois/comets have such wild shapes; they are a cold merging of two convex shaped asteroids.- So (sometimes) take two convex asteroids, push them together, and smooth out the colliding region.

2 hours ago, paul23 said:

Actually you could "procedurally" generate more complex convex shapes: and then use the reason why (we think) asterois/comets have such wild shapes; they are a cold merging of two convex shaped asteroids.- So (sometimes) take two convex asteroids, push them together, and smooth out the colliding region.

This is mainly how I imagine the concave shape generator would work. The dev time would go into the smoothing algorithm and collision meshes.

To add on to this Idea I think they should make bigger asteroids. We have A through E now, but what about all the way to M, halfway to Z? M would truly be massive, requiring huge amounts of fuel and thrust to redirect. When they impact, they create a almost disaster like event in the area. The area is lit ablaze, and it becomes extremely hot, almost vaporizing most life and/or rockets. It takes months to cool down and once it does the crater would leave a lasting mark on the terrain until the end of time (time being save deletion and/or erosion.) The other classes F through L would do similar things although on a lesser scale. Would make a great Armageddon scenario. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Sending 3,245,000 mega kerbodyne tanks to prevent an asteroid the size of Gilly from colliding Kerbin (heck, at 140 IRL km, a gilly-sized impactor would probably end pluricellular life...) seems rather teious, and it's WAAAAY too punishing in the case you fail.

Not saying M is going to be THAT big but maybe a few miles/km wide?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.