Security line for Kerbals EVA's??

RealDarko

My Kerbals like to fly alone without their ship while doing EVA's, sometimes I manage to get them back, but many more they're lost in space. So my question is, exist any mode that attach the Kerbals to their command post so they can always get back? something like a security line for my brave astronauts.

Thanks!

There's nothing dedicated to this that I know of, but you can probably jury-rig something like that via Kerbal Attachment System. IIRC the magnetic winch can attach to Kerbals and pull them about. The question is... can the Kerbal still be controlled while attached? I don't know, you'll have to try.

Actually, KAS winches can extend a line that's attached to a Kerbal, without any hooks at the end.  And yes you can still control the Kerbal.

Probably the best safety line at the moment.  I've used it as such on a couple of occasions when I was doing complicated work likely to get me lost.

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

Actually, KAS winches can extend a line that's attached to a Kerbal, without any hooks at the end.  And yes you can still control the Kerbal.

Probably the best safety line at the moment.  I've used it as such on a couple of occasions when I was doing complicated work likely to get me lost.

Looks good enough for my needs, now I need to wonder how to make that work from command pods.

Thanks guys!!

Don't attach them with kas. Bad things will happen, like looping around the ship and cutting it in half with the cable. 

When you do evas  go forwards to the ship, but when breaking do it sideways on so that you can match velocities so much easier than trying to slow down by thrusting backwards.

9 hours ago, genericeventhandler said:

Don't attach them with kas. Bad things will happen, like looping around the ship and cutting it in half with the cable. 

When you do evas  go forwards to the ship, but when breaking do it sideways on so that you can match velocities so much easier than trying to slow down by thrusting backwards.

Which works really well until you do something that knocks your Kerbal out while imparting ~100dv...  :wink:

1 hour ago, RealDarko said:

I can attach my guys to the command pod with KAS, now my problem is I cannot recover the line. I tried the indicated key commands without luck.

Try pulling up the winch controller and using it directly.  Or use your Kerbal's RCS - I typically just use the line to keep from drifting when doing dangerous work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.