How to make an SSTO that discards its wings?

Just attach the wings on a decoupler, and use strut connectors in case they bend too much and/or fuel lines if you have fuel inside the wings (the latter only applies to Big-S or FAT-455 wings). BTW that would remove one of the biggest benefits of SSTO spaceplanes over other configurations, which is accurate and controlled landing capability.

2 minutes ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

Just attach the wings on a decoupler, and use strut connectors in case they bend too much and/or fuel lines if you have fuel inside the wings (the latter only applies to Big-S or FAT-455 wings). BTW that would remove one of the biggest benefits of SSTO spaceplanes over other configurations, which is accurate and controlled landing capability.

I want to re-dock with them later on for landing. I'm planning on taking this particular craft on a trip to Laythe (eventually) but I'm gonna have an Extraplanetary Launchpads base there so I'll just build the wings there

16 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

I want to re-dock with them later on for landing. I'm planning on taking this particular craft on a trip to Laythe (eventually) but I'm gonna have an Extraplanetary Launchpads base there so I'll just build the wings there

Well then, just attach the wings on a docking port that is attached to a docking port... if you need screenshots then HOLD ON

//EDIT:

@Fireheart318Here you are: http://imgur.com/a/lmXOR

Yes, I know that it's in KSP 0.25, but it launches 3 times faster than 1.1 (I still couldn't update to 1.2 due to crappy internet provider) and docking ports look and work identically as they do now.

Edited by TheDestroyer111

Just now, royying said:

How can this kind of craft call SSTO?

SSTO: Single Stage To Orbit. This would make it into orbit without dropping anything, and then set the wings and jets aside for reentry. Although I agree that it's kindaaaaa cheating, it's not really. It abides by the rules and makes more sense than lugging chunks of dry and useless mass around

Since this thread is likely to generate craft designs in response to the OP, it has been moved to the Spacecraft Exchange.

2 minutes ago, royying said:

How can this kind of craft call SSTO?

It's only Single Stage to Orbit.

Staging after you reach orbit doesn't contradict the definition of SSTO.

Happy landings!

Speaking of example craft...

Here's a spaceplane which delivers a long-range lander to LKO.  The lander has a low starting TWR, but over 7 km/s dV.  It can land on and return from the Mun, Minmus, Gilly, Ike, Dres, Bop, and Pol.  Maybe even Vall.

s4Meda3.png

Happy landings!

2 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Since this thread is likely to generate craft designs in response to the OP, it has been moved to the Spacecraft Exchange.

It's only Single Stage to Orbit.

Staging after you reach orbit doesn't contradict the definition of SSTO.

Happy landings!

I forgot Spacecraft Exchange was a thing. Sorry.

Also, that's exactly what I was thinking (SSTO)

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Single Stage To Orbit.  doesn't say anything about what happens IN orbit

Exactly :wink:

Having trouble seeing @Fireheart318 's image [ EDIT @TheDestroyer111 'a image, my bad]   , but if he didn't cover it: 2 docking ports ensure repeatable alignment, as long as they are attached to identical sub assemblies. Options: use the 1 to 2 node adapter, or you can stack radial decouplers. The downside of radial decouplers is they can't attach by node in VAB/SPH, so you would have to be crafty, and if I remember correctly, they fixed the part where they could be docked to things, and their doors closed at the same time. 

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

Under the pre 1.0 aero, did something a little more complicated than this with the Sporklift/Hot Dog Bun launch system, where a rocket lifted the main payload, then a spaceplane launched, split right down the middle, then welded itself to either side of the rocket to deorbit. This was for the Affordable Space Program: making the reusable spacecraft pay off challenge, which remains the favorite challenge of any I've ever seen posted here. 

Oh, imgur albums don't work anymore! Album here. That's annoying.

The main problem is that docking ports don't lock and are absurdly weak for purposes like this one, then and now. You pretty much have to use multiple docking ports, or find a strut or reinforcement mod.

Obviously old-aero design won't work now, but the approach might. 

59neTBU.jpg

pM4j03S.jpg

XEMy8xA.jpg

5 hours ago, gchristopher said:

The main problem is that docking ports don't lock and are absurdly weak for purposes like this one, then and now. You pretty much have to use multiple docking ports, or find a strut or reinforcement mod.

I haven't played much with the new version, but wouldn't you be able to auto-strut across the ports now, thereby locking them down more securely?

18 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

I want to ditch the wings and jets to improve vacuum efficiency but re-dock with them later on for re-entry and landing. Pics and videos are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Try something like this Obiwan hyperdrive docking ring thing

VcBUmF7.jpg

Edited by RevanCorana

13 hours ago, AeroGav said:

20160411122406_1_zpsf7hei7si.jpg

This was a tight squeeze - if you are building this,  offset the mark 0 tanks outwards a bit.  And probably find a better place for the solar panels.

In addition to those recommendations, I'd add a probe core to the main wing assembly(?) so the nav ball remains in the same position when returning to Kerbin

Just now, Fireheart318 said:

In addition to those recommendations, I'd add a probe core to the main wing assembly(?) so the nav ball remains in the same position when returning to Kerbin

It's not just the main wing assembly, it's the entire aircraft really.   Only the cockpit, terrier engine, and one fuel tank (into which all remaining rocket fuel is transferred) undocks to explore deeper space. But as the cockpit section lacks rcs translation it would be much easier to dock with the airframe again, if you have a way to control the airframe and at least have it orientate itself towards you on approach.

I know this is not what you asked for, but I tend to build my SSTOs only using wings that hold liquid fuel, and power them in space with NERVAs. The wings wont be just dead weight, as they tend to hold the majority of the fuel, especially if you refuel in space. But of course I also carry along the RAPIERs, control surfaces, and intakes.

In 1.2 you can use autostruts to keep your wings rigid even if they're attached by docking ports.  It's still useful to use two ports to make sure your wings go back on straight.  I have not designed something like this but if I did I would probably dock the wing above the fuselage as a single piece.  You can then attach the jets and jet fuel under the wings (if you're not also using the fuel for nuclear engines!).

Here's a more recent design that uses two wings, one above and one below.  It was made for cargo delivery but I'm sure the concept can be modified to have a reusable space vehicle secured in between with docking ports.

Edited by sdj64

On 11/13/2016 at 4:11 PM, HebaruSan said:

I'd make a few changes nowadays:

Here's an updated version. This time I wanted enough Δv to do something interesting, so the crew segment has an LV-N and triple the fuel. Of course, that required the lift segment to have more engines, more fuel, etc. I also added a probe core so it could hold still during reattachment.

I wasn't able to get all 3 docking ports to dock, either at the runway or in space; but thanks to the locked auto-strutting of the landing gear, the craft holds together without even flexing just from the single mini port at the front. I decided to leave the ports on anyway since that feels kind of exploity. Does anyone know whether multiple docking ports can still be auto-docked at launch?

692C734B07E9F1988BAF23A63F767491A1153320

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.