How to make an SSTO that discards its wings?

15 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Does anyone know whether multiple docking ports can still be auto-docked at launch?

My craft on the previous page uses three ports (one normal and two junior).  All ports dock on the runway (i.e. at launch).

I have had instances where I could only get two of them to dock upon return.  The craft was sufficiently stable to survive the descent with just two ports docked, so it wasn't an issue.

Happy landings!

7 hours ago, Starhawk said:

My craft on the previous page uses three ports (one normal and two junior).  All ports dock on the runway (i.e. at launch).

Thanks for the response, I'll have to take another look.

Is there a trick to it? I thought all I had to do was line them up so they "look" docked, but that wasn't successful for me. Should they be farther apart? Closer? Is there a tweakable that needs to be set?

10 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Thanks for the response, I'll have to take another look.

Is there a trick to it? I thought all I had to do was line them up so they "look" docked, but that wasn't successful for me. Should they be farther apart? Closer? Is there a tweakable that needs to be set?

The trick that I had to use was to strut the lander in place so that the rear end wouldn't move too much when physics kicks in.  After that, the second and third ports would dock together just fine.

See, only the first connection is real.  Any further docking port connections are simulated by the game creating virtual struts between the ports.
And they don't get created until physics kicks in.

But if they move too far when physics starts up, they can't connect.

Happy landings!

38 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

The trick that I had to use was to strut the lander in place so that the rear end wouldn't move too much when physics kicks in.  After that, the second and third ports would dock together just fine.

See, only the first connection is real.  Any further docking port connections are simulated by the game creating virtual struts between the ports.
And they don't get created until physics kicks in.

But if they move too far when physics starts up, they can't connect.

Hmm, in further testing I'm not able to get any auto-docking at launch at all, with or without struts, even in the simplest possible case of two tanks laying side by side on the runway. The front ports are docked as expected, but the rear ones aren't.

A63CE69F2E947EFB606F907F17F7836DEBEFBCA7

If I decouple just the front set, the tanks split into two separate crafts and roll apart.

B8C195E858DF78E063FC4AD8DC1F250C70E0592C

I'm baffled as to how you could be getting this to work. Maybe my mods are interfering somehow.

7 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

If I decouple just the front set, the tanks split into two separate crafts and roll apart

This is the thing about how this works.  If the rear set engages, a virtual strut is created.  But, just like any other strut, it detaches automatically once the part it's attached to becomes detached.

Therefore, this is expected behaviour.

The fact that the rear connection has the 'Undock' option in the menu on one of the sides after launch is proof that the second docking connection has been made properly.

Happy landings!

I'd rather just carry a spaceship in the cargo bay. Seems more feasible with KSP aerodynamics being the way they are. Can still re-dock.

Here's one I made for the Mun and back as light as you can Challenge. A very light Mk2 spaceplane with a small 2 stage lander for visiting Mun and Minmus.

QK5j0VS.png

Craft, instructions and more pictures

Here's a larger Mk3 type, where the SSTO has enough dV to go to Mun or Minmus, or perform a Kerbin escape burn, undock the lander and then retro burn to return to Kerbin, while the lander continues to a destination, that can be landed on and returned from with 2100 dV. Probably only Gilly and Ike. Possibly Duna. Not sure.

kBf0q1z.png

Craft, instructions and more pictures

Hope this can be of inspiration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.