[1.2.xx] Supersonic Bomber Challenge

Carrying a payload of 6 x Mk82 SnakeEye's and 1 x M102 Howitzer, I now present for your approval the CANUKWorks DHB-69 Casper

I tried to knock out the target on approach with the Howitzer but had no joy so it was left up to the SnakeEye's .................. I also decided to take some pot shots with the M102 at the KSC on the way back

Only used BDAc ... no pilot assistance, no hyperedit, no nothin :cool:

Cost of craft = $46 472
Time until destruction of target = 537 seconds
Max heat damage inflicted on target = 171 243

Top speed achieved = Mach 4.076 (1386m/s)

A = (826 / 537) * (50) = 76.908
B = (171 243 / 60 209) * (30) = 85.324
C = (96 617 / 46 472) * (20) = 41.581
A + B + C = 203.813

Edited by DoctorDavinci

37 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Carrying a payload of 6 x Mk82 SnakeEye's and 1 x M102 Howitzer, I now present for your approval the CANUKWorks DHB-69 Casper

Thanks for your entry.  My favorite part was the 6 snakeeyes deploying, I always loved watching grainy test footage or Vietnam era footage of those being dropped in groups :cool: .  Also nice touch with the music.  With a targeting pod, your M102 hit could have been dead on but it may have pre-empted a higher heat damage from your bombs.

7 minutes ago, MunGazer said:

Thanks for your entry.  My favorite part was the 6 snakeeyes deploying, I always loved watching grainy test footage or Vietnam era footage of those being dropped in groups :cool: .  Also nice touch with the music.  With a targeting pod, your M102 hit could have been dead on but it may have pre-empted a higher heat damage from your bombs.

Perhaps, but that would mean I would have to manually acquire the target since there is no weapon manager onboard the target and my hands don't have the fine control they once did (being buried by an excavator will do that to a person :rolleyes:)

Good challenge

1 minute ago, DoctorDavinci said:

(being buried by an excavator will do that to a person :rolleyes:)

:0.0:  Holy Shnikeys, well that explains a lot.  I was just thinking the other day that if I ended up in a wheelchair or something, I'd be cool with it and just playing the **** out of KSP all the time.  I'd even learn C# and Blender like a mofo and mod develop like a madman.

4 minutes ago, MunGazer said:

:0.0:  Holy Shnikeys, well that explains a lot.  I was just thinking the other day that if I ended up in a wheelchair or something, I'd be cool with it and just playing the **** out of KSP all the time.  I'd even learn C# and Blender like a mofo and mod develop like a madman.

That is some of the stuff I did when I was in the chair although there is only so long that video games will keep you entertained (except in the case of KSP ... I'm always entertained with it)

2 hours ago, wrench-in-the-works said:

Just quickly testing it out before bomber challenge, its already better than flying by hand and what I had before. I needed this a while ago.

This will have to wait for tomorrow. Game's crashed seven times and my bomber suddenly decides its a bird and flaps its wings off for no clear reason. On the runway to boot. Its also 11 pm and I don't feel like dealing with that.

2 minutes ago, wrench-in-the-works said:

This will have to wait for tomorrow. Game's crashed seven times and my bomber suddenly decides its a bird and flaps its wings off for no clear reason. On the runway to boot. Its also 11 pm and I don't feel like dealing with that.

That's fine, a lot of people (myself included) are cutting their teeth on this newest version of KSP and there's no rush.  I anxiously await the release of FAR and North Kerbin Dynamics which will make this challenge exponentially more fun so I'll be patiently waiting for all that to happen anyway.

I had a go with a stock guided missile and bomber.  This was not an attempt to win on points, just to make a B1-ish bomber and have fun.  The bomb releases 8 I beams as warheads.  The plane could certainly be faster, it is limited by the low temperature tolerance of the cockpit and airliner wing parts.

http://imgur.com/a/dF1Eu

Time: 456 seconds - (826/456)*50 = 90.6

Destruction: 42 parts destroyed - (42000/60209)*30 = 20.9

Cost: 38246 funds - (96617/38246)*20 = 50.5

Score: 162

I attempted the challenge! Of course I never expected to get a high score because I was using stock KSP for my weapons, haha. :P

Cost: 31,180 Funds

Time: 607 Seconds

Damage: 10,000 (Kinetic)

A.  (826 / 607)*(50) = 68
+
B.  (10,000 / 60,209)*(30) = 5
+
C.  (96,617 / 31,180)*(20) = 62
135 Score

I realized I messed up a bit and counted the parts I destroyed too early, when basically the whole enemy vehicle was still in the air and more would be destroyed. I'm not concerned though I just thought the challenge was a lot of fun.

8 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

I had a go with a stock guided missile and bomber.  This was not an attempt to win on points, just to make a B1-ish bomber and have fun.  The bomb releases 8 I beams as warheads.  The plane could certainly be faster, it is limited by the low temperature tolerance of the cockpit and airliner wing parts.

http://imgur.com/a/dF1Eu

Time: 456 seconds - (826/456)*50 = 90.6

Destruction: 42 parts destroyed - (42000/60209)*30 = 20.9

Cost: 38246 funds - (96617/38246)*20 = 50.5

Score: 162

Really cool entry :)  That would be our first kinetic energy strike entry.  Nicely done and I'm glad you had fun.

Edited by MunGazer

13 minutes ago, Nicole said:

I attempted the challenge!

Awesome vid!  I was laughing so hard at that kinetic strike, that was an epic and timeless piece of video right there :D .  That's kinetic entry #2.  It's looking like this challenge shapes up well for vanilla stock entries.  I have to leave for work right now, but what's the name of your craft?  And very nice video editing by the way, the first one I saw of yours in the VTOL challenge was consistent with that as well.

My first attempt is a slightly cheatey cruise missile (I'm going to install BD armoury and do it again in a bit)

Time to target: 367 seconds

Parts destroyed: 5 (15 more were separated but oh well, not destroyed)

Cost of missile: 18,166 funds

Which gives me an initial score of: 

((826/367)*50)+(5000/60209)*30+(96,617/18,166)*20 = 113 + 3 + 106 = 222 points.

Eh, not a great score but I'll be trying again! Fun challenge, thanks OP.

20 hours ago, MunGazer said:

Awesome vid!  I was laughing so hard at that kinetic strike, that was an epic and timeless piece of video right there :D .  That's kinetic entry #2.  It's looking like this challenge shapes up well for vanilla stock entries.  I have to leave for work right now, but what's the name of your craft?  And very nice video editing by the way, the first one I saw of yours in the VTOL challenge was consistent with that as well.

Thank you, and it's named the Airshark Super, because I wanted it to have alphabetical priority in the craft list when I was working on it. :wink:

I've redone the challenge with an SR-71 rip off with 2 Mavericks from BD armoury. Turns out having actual bombs makes life slightly easier...

Here are some pics first for proof:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/FUiQu"><a href="//imgur.com/FUiQu">KSP Supersonic Bomber Challenge</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script> <<How do I embed an imgur album??>> http://imgur.com/a/FUiQu

My scores were 505 seconds to target kill, 36 destroyed parts, and a cost of 47,355 credits. Giving a total score of 140... which is actually lower than before. S*%£!

Edited by DebatedNothing

58 minutes ago, DebatedNothing said:

I've redone the challenge with an SR-71 rip off with 2 Mavericks from BD armoury. Turns out having actual bombs makes life slightly easier...

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/FUiQu"><a href="//imgur.com/FUiQu">KSP Supersonic Bomber Challenge</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script> <<How do I embed an imgur album??>>

My scores were 505 seconds to target kill, 36 destroyed parts, and a cost of 47,355 credits. Giving a total score of 140... which is actually lower than before. S*%£!

Sounds like an interesting entry; however, I think you may have copied and pasted improperly for the image link.  I'll await that edit and then delete this post once it's complete.

Edit:  Didn't realize until now I can't delete my own post apparently :confused:

Edited by MunGazer

11 minutes ago, MunGazer said:

Sounds like an interesting entry; however, I think you may have copied and pasted improperly for the image link.  I'll await that edit and then delete this post once it's complete.

Idk how to do it, I've seen imgur albums embedded on here before but the code given on imgur to embed isn't working.

3 minutes ago, DebatedNothing said:

Idk how to do it, I've seen imgur albums embedded on here before but the code given on imgur to embed isn't working.

Try maybe just copying the web address up at the very top in your browser bar, for example http://mungazer.imgur.com/all/

Mainly though if you want it to embed you'll want to use BBCode (message boards and forums), there should be a little copy icon there that will put it on your clipboard then you can just paste it in here

Edited by MunGazer

29 minutes ago, MunGazer said:

Try maybe just copying the web address up at the very top in your browser bar, for example http://mungazer.imgur.com/all/

Mainly though if you want it to embed you'll want to use BBCode (message boards and forums), there should be a little copy icon there that will put it on your clipboard then you can just paste it in here

Unless I am missing it there is no bbcode option there on imgur.

48 minutes ago, DebatedNothing said:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/FUiQu"><a href="//imgur.com/FUiQu">KSP Supersonic Bomber Challenge</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script> <<How do I embed an imgur album??>> http://imgur.com/a/FUiQu

Alright, well that was a very nice looking SR-71 "rip off" lol.  Seems to fly really well, funny how that works :P

However, after examining things a little more closely, I noticed an issue that I think needs to be corrected with your score.  The amount of destroyed parts multiplied by 1,000 applies to kinetic strikes only;  since you used explosives which do heat damage, your score for the damage is equal to the highest heat damage taken by any part on the target - which appears to be 22,237 from your F3 screen on the modular girder segment, which for some reason seems to usually be the part that takes the most heat damage.  Therefore, I calculate your score as follows:

((826/505)*50)+((22237/60209)*30)+((96617/47355)*20
(81.782) + (11.08) + (40.8)  =  133.662

If you're ok with that, I'll post it to the leaderboard with the above score of 133.662.

2 minutes ago, MunGazer said:

Alright, well that was a very nice looking SR-71 "rip off" lol.  Seems to fly really well, funny how that works :P

However, after examining things a little more closely, I noticed an issue that I think needs to be corrected with your score.  The amount of destroyed parts multiplied by 1,000 applies to kinetic strikes only;  since you used explosives which do heat damage, your score for the damage is equal to the highest heat damage taken by any part on the target - which appears to be 22,237 from your F3 screen on the modular girder segment, which for some reason seems to usually be the part that takes the most heat damage.  Therefore, I calculate your score as follows:

((826/505)*50)+((22237/60209)*30)+((96617/47355)*20
(81.782) + (11.08) + (40.8)  =  133.662

If you're ok with that, I'll post it to the leaderboard with the above score of 133.662.

oh, sorry. That's fine by me :D

Kerbal Defense Systems (KDS) Aerospace accepts your challenge! Work on a new supersonic attacker shall begin post-haste! Get to it Bill and Bob or no snacks!

Also I was looking at DoctorDavinci's entry, it being the top score atm after all,  and noticed a very large damage score on his entry but I didn't see anything close to that heat damage in his posted video... I don't want to be pointing fingers :blush: but I think either a mistake was made in his calculations (or understanding or the scoring system) or I'm being blind and not seeing the value in his video...it is almost 3 AM so my eyes might be dead.      

EDIT: I have been doing some testing at the KSC against the same target craft with Snake Eyes (same weapon DoctorDavinci used) and have not gotten over 71 320, best case, when a damage of 171 243 is listed in their post. Again I am not trying to point fingers I am just trying to solve what appears to be an error.

Anyhow, I will hopefully have a lovely supersonic attacker for you fine Kerbal killers tomorrow if Jeb doesn't crash the prototype to badly.:cool:

Edited by Lonogan1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.