[1.2.xx] Supersonic Bomber Challenge

3 hours ago, MunGazer said:

Alright, tried removing module manager and for some reason I still get the same problem.  It is of course working for you, Doc.  What version of KSP and BDArmory are you using?  I'm wondering if perhaps a fresh install without module manager would be required.

KSP v1.2.1 with BDAc v0.11.1.6 (latest release), BDALoadedVesselSwitcher, BDMk22, Vessel Mover and Camera Tools

I haven't used many bombs lately, just for this challenge, but I haven't had an issue with the reticle not showing up ... Mind you I've only used JDAM's and Mk82 SnakeEye's since 1.2 was released

And on that note, I now present for your approval the CANUKWorks Heinz 57 ... Carrying 2 targeting pod probes (w/chutes), 2 Howitzers (with special sauce) and 57 flavors of JDAM :cool:

Consider this your first exhibition entry .....................

8 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I now present for your approval the CANUKWorks Heinz 57

I loved the usage of multi-vessel gps target data linking, that's so cool.  I've wanted to do similar data link operations with a spotter aircraft + surface to surface missiles before or helicopter hunter/killer teams, but this is a cool approach to it with the paradropped targeting probe.  Insane bomb payload.  Very nice IVA.  Had me wondering what mods allowed such a nice IVA?  Is that raster prop monitor, or just from a part mod with a cockpit that has a really nice IVA built into it?

41 minutes ago, MunGazer said:

Had me wondering what mods allowed such a nice IVA?  Is that raster prop monitor, or just from a part mod with a cockpit that has a really nice IVA built into it?

BDMk22 with RPM and a modified ASET pack ... Here's the link: 

https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BDMk22Plugin/releases/tag/v1.1.2r

The boys did a solid and tweaked a bunch of the ASET files so that they would work correctly ... enjoy :wink:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

5 hours ago, Deathpuff12 said:

If I put a sepatron on my tank, can I drop it from a supersonic cargo plane and call it a guided rocket?

If you can manage to destroy the target before your plane gets more than 25 kilometers away, yes that's fine.  You also can't land the plane prior to target destruction.  You could even put the plane in an autopilot induced orbit overhead while you did ground work in your paradropped tank if you'd like.

Edited by MunGazer

25 minutes ago, MunGazer said:

You also can't land the plane prior to target destruction.

Yeah, if I do drop a tank in, it'll be the way they do it in real life. I might not do it though, because it would take a lot of time just to design a plane that my tank can fit in.

I was playing with the remote targeting pod last night. I really liked that idea, but that deployment method requires you to do a second pass for the bombing run after re-orienting from the holding pattern. I thought, why not strap it on a rocket of sorts and have a cruise missile targeting pod, then deploy the chutes over the target. In testing it....almost works. My main concern is fitting it with a rocket large enough to cover the distance faster than the bomber with enough time to lock on target. I figured a lower altitude/speed on the initial approach might work and bd to set the cruise toward the target for the plane, but haven't tested that.

I used a couple of mk0 LFO's with a spark and some 25% scale av8's for a trial run and I could easily fly that above target from about 10 miles out and then kill the thrust without the targeting pod attached, but the plane I was using wasn't big enough to handle the full pod loaded payload and I still need to test with AI. Seems like there is potential there though.

Another thing worth noting is that there seems to be varying draw distances for the target craft in the targeting pod display; by default BD Armory settings it appears to be about 4,000 meters.  However, I increased my max physics distance and that seemed to make it go up to 6,500 meters or so.  Maxing out the draw distance in whatever way you can should help with enlarging time windows for weapon targeting and employment during ingress to the target.

My original SR-72 that I was initially going to use for this (before I tested to see if it had enough fuel for the mission) had a bomb, of sorts, that had a fairing, parachutes, a probe core, a weapon manager, a targeting ball, and 4 JDAMs. I would use the Trajectories mod to see when my plane was at the right distance to deploy the bomb, then I would drop the bomb, deploy the parachutes at the right time to slow it down until it was floating right over the target, and then I would jettison the fairing and launch the JDAMs. It was pretty effective, but deploying the parachutes too early or too late would make the probe stop too far from the target for the JDAMs to hit.

Named the Herald Mk I - Supersonic targeting drone/missile

I raised my limit to 10k, and I think the target popped in around 8k. Definitely going to experiment more, but I did a couple test runs today and it works. Recorded the thing but don't have time to do any editing, so here's a quick imgur. http://imgur.com/a/xq7Pp

It's not a faster method really, but there is room for improvement for sure. It does have the benefit though of preventing you from circling around, but you may have to slow down your approach earlier. Testing from KSC to the island though as a proof of concept it executed perfectly. Launched from the ground it could target the island easily, so helicopters and ground platforms could definitely benefit. I'll play around some more and maybe test with the actual mission in a day or two.

Edited by ruinzv2

Take that 1.2.1! I got it done!

*ahem*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XF-118 Phoenix:

Specs
Wingspan: 16.7 m
Length: 16.8 m
Top Speed: Unknown (Max known: 1,364 m/s [Mach 3.97])

Payload:
2x GSh-30-1 gatling guns
69(or 72 not sure)x JDAM GPS Bombs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Score
Time: 622 Sec
Heat: 66156 K
Cost: 68174 V(?)

Entry
826/622=1.32*50=66
66156/60209=1.098*30=32.94
96617/68174=1.41*20=28.2

FINAL SCORE=127.14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview:
This challenge was fun, but the thing that hurt my score was heat. It's all well and good to have redundant amounts of munitions, but not if they don't impact simultaneously. I'll be trying this again (if you don't mind), trying to get the heat down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/gallery/dRnD3

Edited by wrench-in-the-works
i just forget things, ok?

Album: LRB1 Supersonic Bombardment Vehicle Mission Report

LRB1 (Long-Range Bombardment Class, Mk1)

Mission Report: At 1200hrs, SSGT Cerby Kerman became separated from her squadron of anti-tank trucks in a sandstorm in the Kertri Foothills. She proceeded to follow the mission plan in an attempt to catch up. She radioed for help, but her group had already accomplished the objective and was proceeding to the shore for exfil. Cerby and her team decided that the best course of action was for Cerby to drive through the foothills towards the Eastern Shore in order to avoid an armored battalion 15km north, protecting a contested region. Cerby encountered a flipped Crater Crawler at ~1700hrs, and used her targeting pod to identify the vehicle. She identified a squadron of 10 enemies, composed of three fireteams and a High-Value Target. Squadrons 1 and 2 were attempting to flip the crater-crawler, while squadron 3 patrolled the crater. SSGT Cerby decided the best course of action would be to escape and evade, as she had little chance of defeating 10 enemies with anti-tank rockets and a PDW if they fanned out and surrounded her. She used her targeting pod to send the GPS coordinates to the LRB squadron. LRB squadron scrambled an experimental LRB1 manned by 2LT Burbrett Kerman in order to prevent the enemy from successfully righting their Crawler and continuing on their way before a subsonic bombardment jet could reach them. During takeoff, Burbrett experienced a sharp pull to the right which nearly sent his plane into the R&D department. However, he avoided catastrophe with a rapid recovery, and proceeded with the mission. At T+60s, Burbrett shutdown the 2 auxillary "Panther" turbofans and proceeded on his JX-4 Whiplash engine. He reached a maximum speed of Mach 3.3 before being forced to slow the craft by 200 m/s in order to allow the radiators to properly dump excess heat. At T+9m, Burbrett activated his auxillary turbofans and disabled the primary turboramjet. He proceeded to deploy the airbrakes in preparation for his bombing run. At T+9m 45s, Burbrett attempted to center his bombsight on the Crawler, however, the experimental nature of the JRB1 prevented him from properly centering his target. Despite this setback, at T+10m 2LT Burbrett radioed bombs away. At T+10m 22s, 2TL Burbrett radioed in a good effect on target, and SSGT Cerby confirmed. Although many structural parts of the Crawler remained, Cerby confirmed that all 10 enemy combatants were dead. She proceeded to steal the encryption algorithm used by KSTE forces before leaving. 2LT Burbrett flew back at speeds around Mach .9 on only his auxiliary engines in order to conserve fuel. Cerby transmitted the data on the chip she stole from the crawler before rendezvousing at the eastern shore for exfil.

Top recorded speed: 1124m/s (MACH 3.3). A higher top speed could have been achieved, but the radiators went on strike until they got higher working wages, so Burbrett, our loyal pilot, dutifully kept the plane intact by keeping the speed lower than the melting point for the wings. He received an extra juice box at lunch for his actions.

Max heat: 18455. As it turns out, it's very hard to bomb a target if you have an excess of control surfaces, so all the bombs hit a tad to the left of their intended target, however, 8 JDAMS still packs a punch.

Funds: 47,589. Includes the price of spacetape holding everything together. Does not include the 4 funds worth of snacks Burbrett bought from the vending machine before he launched.

NOTE: SCORES ROUNDED TO THE NEAREST THOUSANDTH

Score Calculation: 

A = (826/622)*50=66.399

B=(18455/60209)*30=9.195

C=(96617/47589)*20=40.605

A+B+C= 66.399+9.195+40.605

Total = 116.199

9 hours ago, wrench-in-the-works said:

XF-118 Phoenix

Lol, interesting plane, it kind of has a 5th generation look to it in addition to the forward swept wings.  Also I guess this goes to show that drag isn't much of an issue for bd armory external ordnance stores :P

9 hours ago, hidude398 said:

LRB1 (Long-Range Bombardment Class, Mk1)

Great creative writing!  I had plenty of fun reading that before I even looked at the album.  Lots of mil spec lingo going on there.  Thanks for your entry :)

• 4 weeks later...
On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Deathpuff12 said:

If I put a sepatron on my tank, can I drop it from a supersonic cargo plane and call

it a guided rocket?

1 hour ago, wrench-in-the-works said:

D'ya mind if i put another submission in? I wanna see if I can smash Lonogan's score.

I don't mind, go ahead :) Once bomb reticles are eventually fixed I plan to make a submission also.

Edit:  sorry for quoting you Deathpuff12, I have this strange artifacting glitch with my android phone with this browser and it occasionally forces old quotes in and won't even let me delete them in an edit.

Edited by MunGazer

11 hours ago, wrench-in-the-works said:

D'ya mind if i put another submission in? I wanna see if I can smash Lonogan's score.

Holy hand grenades Batman! I just saw you craft and firstly... JUST A FEW BOMBS?! :confused: and secondly damn I'm loving the design, especially the mixed forward and backward swept wing combo:blush:! I'm more than happy to accept any and all challengers, especially you and MunGazer! I honestly want my score to inspire people to challenge me so i say BRING IT ON!!! :cool: In my absence I've been playing around with all sorts of things including carrier landings using Aircraft Carrier Accessories and I think you're right on the ball with the idea of getting all of those bombs dropped at the same time to get astronomical heat damage so go for it. Honestly its been lonely up here at the top of the leaderboard and could use some company beyond Deathpuff12, no offence. If you want any input from a rival company I'd be more than happy to help any way I can, and that applies to everyone :D KDS has (mostly) nothing to hide :wink:...no Werner now it not the time to talk about nukes or napalm or whatever crazy idea you've gotten...SHOOOO.

Edited by Lonogan1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there MunGazer!

Been a fan of this challenge since I saw it posted and watched a lot of people's really cool entries! 

I've accepted your challenge and I want to submit a stock rendition/kinetic bomber but I have only one question! The rules say you must take off from KSC, would I be permitted to take off slightly east of KSC for my bomb run? Like per se...the bay just off the coast...? Because reasons? :D

5 hours ago, Krog34 said:

Hey there MunGazer!

Been a fan of this challenge since I saw it posted and watched a lot of people's really cool entries! 

I've accepted your challenge and I want to submit a stock rendition/kinetic bomber but I have only one question! The rules say you must take off from KSC, would I be permitted to take off slightly east of KSC for my bomb run? Like per se...the bay just off the coast...? Because reasons? :D

To answer your question, yes.  I'd guess it may be carrier launched or perhaps a boat plane of sorts?  In any case, that should be perfectly fair in competition terms since it's technically further from the target.

And thanks, glad you enjoy the challenge.

I'm back from the dead with possibly the most ridiculous plane I've ever designed. I present to you, the RFAX-178 Shadowsong.

Most of the video is me messing around with the approaches, because I quicksaved in midair and reloaded whenever I missed, instead of running the whole mission again.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H-rft5_oDg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ship: RFAX-177 Shadowsong

Armaments: 12x JDAM

Max speed: unknown
Max speed during mission: 1400 m/s

Cost: 127,000
Max. Dmg: 16,857,992 (wat)
Time: 6:56 (416 seconds)

Score:

Time: (416/826)*50=99.26
Cost: (9617/127000)*20=1.5 (:/)
Heat: (16857992/60209)*30=8399.73 (:O)

TOTAL: 8500.49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as a last note: bombing without a guide is hard. shown in vid. 

fite me @Lonogan1.

Congrats on the great run Wrench, I see you went for dropping bombs on it until it vanished from existence. Well it would seem I need to cut short the R&D team's vacation... I've got a title that I'm not going to lose lying down. That and I need to stop building pansy civilian aircraft and get back to making death incarnate. Look out for something new rolling out of the KDS hangers when I get a chance between college and flying planes IRL :cool:. Till then, fly safe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.