[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

9 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

Learn a .NET based language. The .NET Framework has a nice and consistent API, and you dont need to worry about multiplattform crap. (VB.NET maybe? Or C#, but VB.NET might be better to understand the API for you, since you already use a basic dialect.)

Eww....

More ewww..

"So goes the life of a fool."

But seriously SE textures really arent bad and compared to whatever crap i can get out of gimp. I'll take it.

And as for dead pack graverobbing. I agree, Its gross and i'll be spitting on someones legacy. But i may have to do it.

Edited by daniel l.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back. Currently working on a procedural name generation system for stars and planets. BTW if anyone knows how to make decent looking kopernicus planets without exporting a scaled texture, Then please tell me how. IS it perhaps mapdecals? I could create a collection of mapdecals and program the algorithm to place them randomly

Progress is going excellently. I've gotten star's to generate with randomized names, And planets to generate around the star's numbered in roman numerals: I, II,III,IV,V, And so on.

I've also added the ability to generate planets based on all other templates, Currently they are still just clones of their templates, But i do intend to add some PQS randomization to the system. Just don't expect any scaled textures, :( BTW @RA3236 Do you mind doing some more tests? I am writing this code on my laptop so i don't have any access to my KSP test install. Here is the config file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fas9ysbyswqzrz/galaxy.cfg?dl=0 Just download the standard dev release available on the main thread, And then replace the "galaxy.cfg" in that folder with the one provided here. :) 

3 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Progress is going excellently. I've gotten star's to generate with randomized names, And planets to generate around the star's numbered in roman numerals: I, II,III,IV,V, And so on.

I've also added the ability to generate planets based on all other templates, Currently they are still just clones of their templates, But i do intend to add some PQS randomization to the system. Just don't expect any scaled textures, :( BTW @RA3236 Do you mind doing some more tests? I am writing this code on my laptop so i don't have any access to my KSP test install. Here is the config file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fas9ysbyswqzrz/galaxy.cfg?dl=0 Just download the standard dev release available on the main thread, And then replace the "galaxy.cfg" in that folder with the one provided here. :) 

Sorry, the next week is really busy for me so I can't get on KSP to test it :(

Just now, RA3236 said:

Sorry, the next week is really busy for me so I can't get on KSP to test it :(

Darn... So ummm... Do you have any suggestions? I'm working on the code right now so if there is anything you can think of?

On 10.12.2016 at 7:27 AM, daniel l. said:

I'm back. Currently working on a procedural name generation system for stars and planets. BTW if anyone knows how to make decent looking kopernicus planets without exporting a scaled texture, Then please tell me how. IS it perhaps mapdecals? I could create a collection of mapdecals and program the algorithm to place them randomly

There is no way to make decent planets without exporting a scaled space texture or using stock clones

2 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

@Thomas P. Can you tell me if MapDecals work very well? If so then i might be able to produce planets with decent looking scaled appearances. (Do they show in scaledspace?)

Why wouldn't they work. :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

Why wouldn't they work. :rolleyes:

That's really good to know, so i can just collect a whole folder full of decals and have the algorithm randomly paste them all over. But i don't really have any experience with them. I was wondering if you could perhaps give some pointers on how they work?

An official release will be coming soon (Expect one or two days.) When I've made enough progress for it to be considered playable. Also... I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could review the latest Dev release, Rate it from 1 to 10, And tell me what you did and didn't like. And want or dont want.

Just now, nascarlaser1 said:

the stock planets. Kerbol, Kerbin, eloo, Jool, etc.. I don't want them to change, but I would also like new ones. All the different planet packs I find change or completely remove the original planets.

My mod does not change the stock planets. It only add's new stars and planets.

30 minutes ago, cy4n said:

Could you use Mono for your .EXE so it works on Macs?

Otherwise I will say Stellarator is better! How evil!

This isnt written in a .NET language so it wont work with mono. Its actually some QuickBasic Dialect, so I dont know if it will compile on *nix.

I dont say that because I develop Stellarator

EDIT: @daniel l. You have to publish your sourcecode if you release binaries...

Edited by Thomas P.

3 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

This isnt written in a .NET language so it wont work with mono. Its actually some QuickBasic Dialect, so I dont know if it will compile on *nix.

I dont say that because I develop Stellarator

EDIT: @daniel l. You have to publish your sourcecode if you release binaries...

My source code is available from a link on the space dock site. And yes I will agree that Stellarator is superior, though I'm not sure if that total will last :wink: let the honorable combat begin! :P 

3 hours ago, cy4n said:

Could you use Mono for your .EXE so it works on Macs?

Otherwise I will say Stellarator is better! How evil!

Not to worry, I will soon hopefully be able to release a Linux version, mac however is another story as I lack a mac to compile it with, but the source code is available and all you need to do is download and install qb64 then compile the source code. :)

3 hours ago, Serkanamore said:

I have a very crazy idea! Do you know Space Engine?

I think you can export textures of planets out of the game. Could you use it for this mod?

That would be very cool!

That is one of my plans, I will need lots of textures so space engine is definitely a valuable source.

Edited by daniel l.