[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

15 hours ago, wenth said:

@daniel .i  I know you cant turn down the brightness but are there starts that are dimmer then others we could use instead of all of them?

Those stars are significantly smaller and weaker. You can easily make your own custom galaxy with nothing but them. Or perhaps simply set the galaxy age to an old one. Though I think putting up with the brightness may be what you'll have to do for now.

But I may have found a solution in the long run. @seanth, have you seen the more recent versions of Galactic Neighborhood? They've mastered the brightness curve! I was wondering if maybe you could integrate their curve into TBG's code?

3 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

But I may have found a solution in the long run. @seanth, have you seen the more recent versions of Galactic Neighborhood? They've mastered the brightness curve! I was wondering if maybe you could integrate their curve into TBG's code?

I will try and look tonight. I was hesitant about messing with the brightness curves because they weren't well documented, but that seems to have been rectified.

I have finally managed to build a windows version of the latest experimental TBG version. For those who are Bold, Go To  https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/tree/Janet

I have removed the mac version for now until I can figure out what is going on, and I'll make an actual release version of the 0.3.x (Janet) build soon

Found this mod the other day and it... is.... AWESOME!! However, I did notice that the download link in the OP is dead. Is this on purpose?  (I did find a link in one of the posts later in the thread)

--Glitched on my end! Also, is this compatible with RSS/RO? If not, any thoughts about it being done at some future date? I don't want to be a pest, but it would be really cool if it became so. 

Thank you Daniel I and Seanth for this glorious mod!

Edited by Fizwalker

3 hours ago, seanth said:

I have finally managed to build a windows version of the latest experimental TBG version. For those who are Bold, Go To  https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/tree/Janet

I have removed the mac version for now until I can figure out what is going on, and I'll make an actual release version of the 0.3.x (Janet) build soon

what has been updated? what do you need feed back on?

18 minutes ago, wenth said:

what has been updated? what do you need feed back on?

There's a lot of "behind the scenes" things that changed having to do with planets. The goal of 0.3.x of TBG is going to focus on planets: their orbits, moons, procedural planets, etc. This update shouldn't actually change much that the user will see, but lays the groundwork for more interesting things to come.

1 hour ago, Fizwalker said:

However, I did notice that the download link in the OP is dead.  Is this on purpose?  (I did find a link in one of the posts later in the thread)

Dead? do you mean the spacedock link? It works fine on my end.

On 7/29/2017 at 1:37 AM, daniel l. said:

@seanth A recent Kopernicus update has made it so multiple stars can shine on a single planet. Can you test this, please? We need to find out if planets are or aren't lit up like a rave-party.

I'm Sure you guys are aware by now but yea. There are rave parties. Huge rave parties.

Here's some pictures.

Hope You guys crack down on this bug quick. I love interstellar exploration. This bug is really annoying to play with.

3 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Dead? do you mean the spacedock link? It works fine on my end.

Wierd....   Whenever I've clicked it; it's failed to connect to the page...   I'll try it again. Aaannnd it's working now.... Figures. Nevermind on that now!

Edited by Fizwalker

1 hour ago, Ecdragonz said:

I'm Sure you guys are aware by now but yea. There are rave parties. Huge rave parties.

Here's some pictures.

Hope You guys crack down on this bug quick. I love interstellar exploration. This bug is really annoying to play with.

Well. That answers my question.

Short term suggestion: Downgrade Kopernicus to a version that doesn't do this.

Long term: I may have to get off my ass and do something. (I'd really rather not.)

12 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Well. That answers my question.

Short term suggestion: Downgrade Kopernicus to a version that doesn't do this.

Long term: I may have to get off my ass and do something. (I'd really rather not.)

I bet there'd be plenty of people willing to help you with that. Myself not included, due to my skill in coding, or lack thereof.

Well, that or just get the guys who do Kopernicus to fix it, your choice.

But seriously, please get this glitch fixed.

Edited by Linventor

Seems less like a rave and more like a put scopolamine in my eyes.

I have a fixed version and am uploading things now. I'll put links here in a few minutes. There is a bug related to white dwarf stars and the supermassive black hole, but it's minor and I'll squash it this week

3 minutes ago, seanth said:

Seems less like a rave and more like a put scopolamine in my eyes.

I have a fixed version and am uploading things now. I'll put links here in a few minutes. There is a bug related to white dwarf stars and the supermassive black hole, but it's minor and I'll squash it this week

Yay :) Think it'll break any seeds?

1 minute ago, Linventor said:

Yay :) Think it'll break any seeds?

I don't think it should, though it depends on whether you made your galaxy with a 0.2.x or 0.3.x version. This is an update to 0.3.x. No actual generation code has been changed: only templates. So it you make a galaxy with the same seed, you should get the same stars, planets, moons, etc.

Just now, seanth said:

I don't think it should, though it depends on whether you made your galaxy with a 0.2.x or 0.3.x version. This is an update to 0.3.x. No actual generation code has been changed: only templates. So it you make a galaxy with the same seed, you should get the same stars, planets, moons, etc.

That's good, since I've got a seed from what was the most recent version that I want to keep using.

To Boldly Go 0.3.0.5c: Fixes the overly bright stars and makes the stars less visible in the sky

https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/releases

Known bug: White Dwarfs and the supermassive black hole look different than other stars in the map view

Spoiler

yWSlvHDxE4U_M0JfWBO9phfJ3YCdvRKi-0v51IP5

This was a quick fix because I know that things were completely unplayable. I would appreciate feedback on what people think of the dimmer stars

Edited by seanth

1 minute ago, seanth said:

To Boldly Go 0.3.0.5b: Fixes the overly bright stars and makes the stars less visible in the sky

https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/releases

Known bug: White Dwarfs and the supermassive black hole look different than other stars in the map view

Reveal hidden contents

yWSlvHDxE4U_M0JfWBO9phfJ3YCdvRKi-0v51IP5

This was a quick fix because I know that things were completely unplayable. I would appreciate feedback on what people think of the dimmer stars

*immediately alt+f4s game after saving craft*

Well there is another bug. It completely breaks the map view in flight and on the tracking station. the planets also jitter extremely. and disappear after a few seconds. Basically if you click on an interstellar planet you see it for a split second then your camera will get stuck inside it. From there even heading back to kerbin you ll be stuck inside the planet and it will just be stars and the surrounding moons / planets / etc. and its the same with every single body in the system.

It was in the previous update but is also in the new update that just came out that.

More Pictures. This is really game breaking, and that probe around the moon was annoying as hell to get without a map view. and without cheats

For reference i only have TweakScale and HyperEdit installed along side with ModuleManager.2.8.1. It doesn't crash or anything so I don't know if i can get you guys a log. Tho id be happy to try and explain how it happens in more detail if you need. .-.

Edit: Btw dimmer stars are fine by me as long as i can see the planet I'm landing on lol. And without the dots on the map view it makes it a lot less cluttered in my opinion. 

Edited by Ecdragonz

2 hours ago, seanth said:

Bonus video

Should the video be blocked in basically every country?

EDIT: seed not working, please help. It also periodically throws errors during the 2nd loop of the gen (after I give an answer of "n" to the question of whether or not I'm satisfied with the results) :(

EDIT 2: The galaxy info of both galaxies plus my awful mouse drawn text:

Spoiler

LUUcqKB.png

Edited by Linventor

2 hours ago, Ecdragonz said:

Well there is another bug. It completely breaks the map view in flight and on the tracking station. the planets also jitter extremely. and disappear after a few seconds. Basically if you click on an interstellar planet you see it for a split second then your camera will get stuck inside it. From there even heading back to kerbin you ll be stuck inside the planet and it will just be stars and the surrounding moons / planets / etc. and its the same with every single body in the system.

It was in the previous update but is also in the new update that just came out that.

More Pictures. This is really game breaking, and that probe around the moon was annoying as hell to get without a map view. and without cheats

For reference i only have TweakScale and HyperEdit installed along side with ModuleManager.2.8.1. It doesn't crash or anything so I don't know if i can get you guys a log. Tho id be happy to try and explain how it happens in more detail if you need. .-.

Edit: Btw dimmer stars are fine by me as long as i can see the planet I'm landing on lol. And without the dots on the map view it makes it a lot less cluttered in my opinion. 

Weird. The only code change had to do with star brightness. What was the previous version of TBG you had used? I'm not sure why the change I made would introduce planet jitter.

41 minutes ago, seanth said:

Weird. The only code change had to do with star brightness. What was the previous version of TBG you had used? I'm not sure why the change I made would introduce planet jitter.

the previous update i had. let me check quick, the file name is just "To Boldly Go-0.3" New version that still has the issue is the one you just put out today. I think it has to do with one specific world possibly since that's the one that seems to break it. gotta check that now.

Edit: "Sane Ib" is the current cause of the issue in this galaxy. Going to generate i new galaxy now to check if its the same planet. But the issue I'm sure of is in almost every Galaxy.

*Edit: "Rasputin Ia" is the new glitch in the new galaxy. Its not just something to do with the singular procedural planet. Double checked both.

I can try and put it on video if you would like.

Edited by Ecdragonz

2 hours ago, Linventor said:

Hide contents

LUUcqKB.png

I think you use generation mode "auto" you will get the similar results. I just ran it using your seed on auto and got:

DGOZ_8zPV9bB87iVHCHjX8EKCOwrK4Z46Aalc2gR

Same numbers of stars, but the planet numbers differ. This is probably due to changes in planet generation code between 0.3 and 0.3.0.5. I might be able to advise you on how to change your original galaxy to include the brightness fixes.