[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

for re-scalable galaxies I think you could put in a global scale factor that scales both SOI sizes and planet distribution.

Re: jump gates etc, I did look at some of the mods available, but none seem quite right to me. I'd be happy to send a warp capable ship off in advance to create gates, but then use them for re-supply/sample return, but my ideas on this are somewhat off topic for this thread :)

1 hour ago, bunjatec said:

for re-scalable galaxies I think you could put in a global scale factor that scales both SOI sizes and planet distribution.

Well, that _could_ be done, but TBG uses real-world calculations to determine a star's SOI based on its mass.

That's fine for real scale, but you could factor that back by 1/10th for kerbol scale mode (IIRC) and by 1/100th for funsize? (actual scales are up for debate and don't necessarily represent final figures)

I'm fairly sure this would increase the broader appeal of this mod..

btw,I need to get back into coding and lend you guys a hand :wink: 

2 minutes ago, bunjatec said:

That's fine for real scale, but you could factor that back by 1/10th for kerbol scale mode (IIRC) and by 1/100th for funsize? (actual scales are up for debate and don't necessarily represent final figures)

I'm fairly sure this would increase the broader appeal of this mod..

btw,I need to get back into coding and lend you guys a hand :wink: 

Jah. The conversion is 10.64, and we do it :)

FUNCTION realKM2kerbinKM (realKM)
realKM2kerbinKM = realKM / 10.64
END FUNCTION

Trust me: the way the universe is made in TBG is procedural in that it follows internally consistent rules for the Kerbal universe. I'm not disagreeing with you: a tiny pocket universe would make it much easier to get from star to star, but it would require lots of custom tweaks to the physics to the Kerbal universe.

Perhaps worth exploring the idea here, in this conversation, but maybe leave potential implementation for another day.. :)

If there are more takers then perhaps explore this further, with the potential to pop it on the road map.. 

BTW, how do we currently avoid spawning stars too close to each other currently? (I should really just look through the code.. but I've got other work on tonight..)

46 minutes ago, bunjatec said:

BTW, how do we currently avoid spawning stars too close to each other currently? (I should really just look through the code.. but I've got other work on tonight..)

Right now, we don't. BUT, I recently worked out some code that lets me calculate the distance between any two stars based on their distance from the core and the angle between them. I'm embarrassed to say I reinvented the Law of Cosines, but I'm also comforted that things like that can be "rediscovered" starting from first principles. Go math!

The intent was to calculate the apparent brightness of stars as seen from Kerbin to link in with the Research Bodies mod, but it can be used to make sure the SOIs of stars don't overlap. The naive way to code the check would end up being a n^n-1 problem, which is computationally yuck. I can see some ways of using angles from core to significantly simplify the calcs, though.

That won't make it in soon, though. I _really_ want to get back to improving planet and moon generation.  

Just found this amazing looking mod!! Don't know if I have an issue or not, tried searching and couldn't find anything. Ran the galaxy gen somewhere between 20 and 30 different times, is it always supposed to have 0 moons after it generates the galaxy? So far every generated galaxy shows random number of stars, planets, asteroids, but always 0 moons. every time.

2 hours ago, nordus76 said:

Just found this amazing looking mod!! Don't know if I have an issue or not, tried searching and couldn't find anything. Ran the galaxy gen somewhere between 20 and 30 different times, is it always supposed to have 0 moons after it generates the galaxy? So far every generated galaxy shows random number of stars, planets, asteroids, but always 0 moons. every time.

Can you post the text file generated by the program? Every time you create a galaxy it generates a text file containing information on what happened. Can you find it and post it?

8 hours ago, nordus76 said:

Yes. Moon generation was disabled because of a game-breaking bug in the code. The 0.3.0.5c (aka To Boldly Go:"a little less moonage") release disabled moon generation because of a mod-breaking bug reported by @Ecdragonz.

I've been putting out other fires in the code, and will be re-implementing basic moon generation soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience :(

The (short) bug note is here for those interested: https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/issues/14

Edited by seanth

17 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Can you post the text file generated by the program? Every time you create a galaxy it generates a text file containing information on what happened. Can you find it and post it?

Spoiler

_______      ____        _     _ _          _____
 |__   __|    |  _ \      | |   | | |        / ____|
    | | ___   | |_) | ___ | | __| | |_   _  | |  __  ___
    | |/ _ \  |  _ < / _ \| |/ _` | | | | | | | |_ |/ _ \
    | | (_) | | |_) | (_) | | (_| | | |_| | | |__| | (_) |
    |_|\___/  |____/ \___/|_|\__,_|_|\__, |  \_____|\___/
                                      __/ |
                                     |___/
*****Hope***** v0.3.0.5e
Creation Date: 01:11:12 09-19-2017
Generation Mode: c
Seed: 874937 
Galaxy Type: 1 
Galaxy Age: 2 
Cluster Number: 0 
Planets: y
Asteroids: y
L to Y class (~Brown~): 5 
M class (~Red~): 10 
K class (~Orange~): 10 
G class (~Yellow~): 15 
F class (~Yellow-white~): 10 
A class (~White~): 15 
B class (~Blue-White~): 10 
O class (~Blue~): 10 
White Dwarves: 16 
-----------------
 100 Stars
 181 Planets
 0 Moons
 45 Asteroids
 326  Total
-----------------

the galaxy i'm using now. 

11 hours ago, seanth said:

Yes. Moon generation was disabled because of a game-breaking bug in the code. The 0.3.0.5c (aka To Boldly Go:"a little less moonage") release disabled moon generation because of a mod-breaking bug reported by @Ecdragonz.

I've been putting out other fires in the code, and will be re-implementing basic moon generation soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience :(

The (short) bug note is here for those interested: https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/issues/14

Ahh, sorry didn't see it, thanks :) Still brings much needed new life back to KSP for me even with no moons to visit in other systems. Love it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

im having trouble getting the mod to work on 1.2.2, I rendered the galaxy info, but the stars and planets just don't show up, when I have kopernicus mod installed like suggested, all I get is a forever loading screen, and all files I located in the game data file. I could use some help please.

4 minutes ago, Commander Valhallion said:

hello,

im having trouble getting the mod to work on 1.2.2, I rendered the galaxy info, but the stars and planets just don't show up, when I have kopernicus mod installed like suggested, all I get is a forever loading screen, and all files I located in the game data file. I could use some help please.

When you make a galaxy, a text file called something like "Galaxygen_Info-MyGalaxyName.txt" is made. Paste that for me to look at and I'll see if anything jumps out at me

_______      ____        _     _ _          _____
 |__   __|    |  _ \      | |   | | |        / ____|
    | | ___   | |_) | ___ | | __| | |_   _  | |  __  ___
    | |/ _ \  |  _ < / _ \| |/ _` | | | | | | | |_ |/ _ \
    |_|\___/  |____/ \___/|_|\__,_|_|\__, |  \_____|\___/
                                      __/ |
                                     |___/
*****milky wayz***** v0.3
Creation Date: 13:26:38 10-05-2017
Seed: 0
Galaxy Type: 2
Galaxy Age: 1
L to Y class (~Brown~): 26
M class (~Red~): 25
K class (~Orange~): 12
G class (~Yellow~): 6
F class (~Yellow-white~): 0
A class (~White~): 8
B class (~Blue-White~): 1
O class (~Blue~): 0
White Dwarves: 4
-----------------
 81 Stars
 156 Planets
 244 Moons
 36 Asteroids
 517  Total
-----------------

3 hours ago, Commander Valhallion said:

_______      ____        _     _ _          _____
 |__   __|    |  _ \      | |   | | |        / ____|
    | | ___   | |_) | ___ | | __| | |_   _  | |  __  ___
    | |/ _ \  |  _ < / _ \| |/ _` | | | | | | | |_ |/ _ \
    |_|\___/  |____/ \___/|_|\__,_|_|\__, |  \_____|\___/
                                      __/ |
                                     |___/
*****milky wayz***** v0.3
Creation Date: 13:26:38 10-05-2017
Seed: 0
Galaxy Type: 2
Galaxy Age: 1
L to Y class (~Brown~): 26
M class (~Red~): 25
K class (~Orange~): 12
G class (~Yellow~): 6
F class (~Yellow-white~): 0
A class (~White~): 8
B class (~Blue-White~): 1
O class (~Blue~): 0
White Dwarves: 4
-----------------
 81 Stars
 156 Planets
 244 Moons
 36 Asteroids
 517  Total
-----------------

You are using an older, broken version of TBG. Please download the latest version from https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/releases

10 hours ago, Commander Valhallion said:

does it work with 1.2.2?

The version of KSP, in this case, is less important that the version of Kopernicus you are using. 

I have not explicitly tried TBG 0.3.0.5e with versions of Kopernicus that works with KSP 1.2.2. 

Have you just tried it?

Knife-in-Outlet.jpg

10 hours ago, ChampDiamondFoot said:

Its an awesome mod but I cannot get it to work. I made a galaxy and went to the tracking station to see if the mod worked, I could still only see the Kerbol solar system the stars and planets were not there. I tried this with a fresh install of KSP as well, still nothing.

I'll see if I can help. When you made your galaxy, there should have been a file named something like "Galaxygen_Info-MyGalaxy.txt" that was also created. Could you post that so I can take a look?

6 hours ago, seanth said:

I'll see if I can help. When you made your galaxy, there should have been a file named something like "Galaxygen_Info-MyGalaxy.txt" that was also created. Could you post that so I can take a look?

Here is the link to the .txt file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1md4fcd2fu0ss3/Galaxygen_Info-ayy.txt?dl=0

Edit: tried with new versions, still nothing (the updated txt file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/trktoqby83nqyw7/Galaxygen_Info-ayy(current).txt?dl=0

Edited by ChampDiamondFoot
some stuff was out of date

1 hour ago, ChampDiamondFoot said:

Here is the link to the .txt file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1md4fcd2fu0ss3/Galaxygen_Info-ayy.txt?dl=0

Edit: tried with new versions, still nothing (the updated txt file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/trktoqby83nqyw7/Galaxygen_Info-ayy(current).txt?dl=0

Just making sure: do you have Kopernicus installed as well? TBG requires Kopernicus to work.