[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

6 minutes ago, wenth said:

I don't see any mention of it but felt I would ask any ways. has the lighting bug that makes every thing bright as a million suns at any distance been solved?

I think so.

1 hour ago, Lells said:

Just found this mod, got about 15 pages in, before I tl;dr'd (36 pages... :sealed:), and will just ask now:

Did anybody ever implement procedural planet textures? 

Still in process. I got sidetracked by real-world work and trying to implement procedural water planets in star's habitable zones and correct tidal locking of bodies.

On 11/7/2017 at 2:27 AM, bunjatec said:

Other features that will go in will be a scale factor (real universe, Kerbal universe, and funsize),  a windows form style UI and possibly spiral galaxies but the main feature will be the extensibility of it.. oh and potentially a visualisation tool just to check it's all formed correctly.

BTW why does kerbol need to be on the outside edge? is it just to stop it  having an overlapping SOI with other stars? I may have a solution to fix this..

A lot of the equations to calculate real-world relationships for stars is already in the code base. I often do the calculations for real-world relationships and the "Kerbalize" them. I...am not convinced a "fun size" universe will work math-wise (or star brightness wise). I'd be interesting to see what you come up with, though.

Re Kerbol on the outer edge: this is because of problems we couldn't solve related to reparenting Kerbin to a new star and still having the KSC be ok. Ideally we would take the original star (Sun) and make it the center of the galaxy, and makes a _new_ star (Kerbol) and put all the stock planets in orbit around it. Every time we have tried to do that it ended in tears. So now the Sun sits way at the edge to deal with problems with moving from the Sun's SOI to Core's SOI to another star's SOI.

2 hours ago, seanth said:

Still in process. I got sidetracked by real-world work and trying to implement procedural water planets in star's habitable zones and correct tidal locking of bodies.

If you'd like any help, let me know... I code, work with (visual) basic a lot, but have used other 4gl basics before, and am trying to broaden my procgen horizons for a game I'm developing.  Besides, this mod seems cool, and random planet textures on top of everything else would just be... sploosh.

So I cant figure out why, but the galaxy gen exe will NOT work for me no matter what I try. It immediately crashes upon trying to open. Help would be appreciated as I'm about to give up on this mod altogether if I cant find a fix. I can get the generic config that it comes with to work It says there's planets, but there isn't any. Just stars.

EDIT: Ok, so without having changed anything I have stars and planets with the generic config...what. Still can't generate my own galaxy, though. Really getting annoyed with this BS. 

Edited by roxedboxer

23 hours ago, roxedboxer said:

So I cant figure out why, but the galaxy gen exe will NOT work for me no matter what I try. It immediately crashes upon trying to open. Help would be appreciated as I'm about to give up on this mod altogether if I cant find a fix. I can get the generic config that it comes with to work It says there's planets, but there isn't any. Just stars.

EDIT: Ok, so without having changed anything I have stars and planets with the generic config...what. Still can't generate my own galaxy, though. Really getting annoyed with this BS. 

Can you provide some information on what exactly is going wrong? I can understand your frustration, but we need to hear information like what OS are you using (Mac OS and wine? Linux and wine? Windows?), what OS version, etc. Do you get a crash message at all? We just can't help without more information.

1 hour ago, seanth said:

Can you provide some information on what exactly is going wrong? I can understand your frustration, but we need to hear information like what OS are you using (Mac OS and wine? Linux and wine? Windows?), what OS version, etc. Do you get a crash message at all? We just can't help without more information.

Well, I've tried running the exe from the mod folder (which generates no message at all, just crashes) and I've tried dragging the exe (just the exe, all other files left inside the mod folder) outside the folder onto my desktop (windows 10) and that generates an error message "line: 71 (in main module) invalid handle. Continue?". Hitting continue gives the same message for lines 73 and 81. I thought I saw a post with a similar issue at one point, but couldn't track that post down again. I believe I'm also running the latest version of TBG (downloaded from github, 0.3.0.5f) Forgive me, but I'm an idiot, so I usually need a little hand holding. Haha. 

And sorry for being so irate in my last comment. Frustration was clouding my thoughts up pretty well. Thank you for the speedy response as well.

Edited by roxedboxer

2 hours ago, roxedboxer said:

Well, I've tried running the exe from the mod folder (which generates no message at all, just crashes) and I've tried dragging the exe (just the exe, all other files left inside the mod folder) outside the folder onto my desktop (windows 10) and that generates an error message "line: 71 (in main module) invalid handle. Continue?". Hitting continue gives the same message for lines 73 and 81. I thought I saw a post with a similar issue at one point, but couldn't track that post down again. I believe I'm also running the latest version of TBG (downloaded from github, 0.3.0.5f) 

Ok. This is useful. The TBG exe needs certain files in the TBG folder to work correctly. The fact that you were getting error messages with the one running on the desktop tells me that it tries to run for you.

I'm mystified why you're having a problem, though. I mean, maybe other people have had it crash and just never said anything. I will try and make a special debug version of the app this weekend to see if we can track down what the problem is.

I don't use Windows, but isn't there something that might show error statuses? Interwebs says "Event Viewer?" Any Windows users have advice on how to see _why_ an application stops?

13 hours ago, bunjatec said:

Just to be clear roxedboxer you have tried running it from the unpacked mod folder inside the gamedata folder?

I'm a windows 10 user and I have had several versions of this mod working.

Yes, that's exactly what I did the first time. unzipped TBG, put the TBG folder in gamedata, then tried runnign the exe from inside the TBG gamedata folder. And yes, kopernicus is also unzipped and inside gamedata as it should be. 

From what documentation  and tutorials I can scrounge up, I believe I've installed everything correctly. As is evidenced by the generic config working just fine; Planets, stars, etc. The flare when zoomed way out in map view is still a bit bright for my liking, but way better than what it used to be. I can at least see the other stars now. haha.

Edited by roxedboxer

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, nubeees said:

Saw a post stating this was fixed, so I assumed it was scatterer or planetshine causing the bug. Testing found that removing those had no effect.

Reveal hidden contents

Any ideas? Did Kerbol go supernova?

Had the same problem.  Turns out it was the butler (module manager 3.0.0) all along!

Module manager 2.8.1 seems to set things right.

5 hours ago, TastyMango said:

Had the same problem.  Turns out it was the butler (module manager 3.0.0) all along!

That's odd, I've got module manager 2.8.1.

I'll have to see if reinstalling it helps

Edit*

2.8.1 nor 3.0 are fixing the blinding issue.

I was also really confused about not being able to focus the camera on any of the minor bodies, then I remembered that I have research bodies installed XD

Edited by nubeees

16 hours ago, nubeees said:

2.8.1 nor 3.0 are fixing the blinding issue.

Huh, I'm rather curious as to what it might be then.  :huh:

I've got  almost every visual enhancement mod available installed (EVE, OPM with OPMVO, SVT, SVE, Planetshine, Windowshine, Distant object enhance, Nebula decals) so I can say it wouldn't be any of them that's cranking your lighting dial to 11.

You could go with the tried and true removing of every mod folder except for TBG then bringing them back in batches until the lights get screwy.

Concerning the infinite sunlight problem, this is likely the effect of the stars not having light curves as introduced in Kopernicus 1.3.0-6. This feature enables the intensity and ranges of starlight to be finely controlled which means your inner planets can be over-bright as needed and your outer planets will be nice and dark all-over.

No light curves = no control = infinite starlight. KSC will get lit up from the red giant on the opposite side of the galaxy as if Kerbin was orbiting that red giant.

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Concerning the infinite sunlight problem, this is likely the effect of the stars not having light curves as introduced in Kopernicus 1.3.0-6. This feature enables the intensity and ranges of starlight to be finely controlled which means your inner planets can be over-bright as needed and your outer planets will be nice and dark all-over.

No light curves = no control = infinite starlight. KSC will get lit up from the red giant on the opposite side of the galaxy as if Kerbin was orbiting that red giant.

I sort of figured this was what's going on.

It's hard to tell, but it also seems like exoplanets not be getting lit up properly for me, but that requires further research.

Time to figure out what the conflict is.

Edit*

Getting the issue with nothing in my gamedata folder but modulemanager 2.8.1, modular flight integrator, koperniucs, and TBG. Going to try the latest modulemanager

Edit again*

Trying the newest module manager, and trying a previous version of kopernicus both did nothing to help.

Edited by nubeees

On 12/7/2017 at 1:16 PM, TastyMango said:

This is the first I've heard of a problem with MM 3.0 and TBG. Can others confirm this?

On 12/8/2017 at 10:59 AM, TastyMango said:

Huh, I'm rather curious as to what it might be then.  :huh:

I've got  almost every visual enhancement mod available installed (EVE, OPM with OPMVO, SVT, SVE, Planetshine, Windowshine, Distant object enhance, Nebula decals) so I can say it wouldn't be any of them that's cranking your lighting dial to 11.

You could go with the tried and true removing of every mod folder except for TBG then bringing them back in batches until the lights get screwy.

I had thought the over bright stars problem was fixed. Is it back again? @TastyMangocould you post some screenshots and say what version of TBG you are using?

Hmmm. I'm going to have to look at this closer. I have TBG already making ScaledIntensityCurve, IVAIntensityCurve, and brightnessCurves. Unless the format has changed, since I implemented them, I'm not sure why brightness is blown out again.

I think I need to see some screen shots from people to try and understand what's going on.

So this may have been asked before, but will this work on Mac? I have created a wine program that has the background and everything and a .txt was created with the details of my galaxy, but nothing changes in game. All stock, only kopernicus and TBG for this test. i see sombody else was looking for some system specs so here are mine:

qX8MhDu.png 

7 hours ago, Not Sure said:

So this may have been asked before, but will this work on Mac? I have created a wine program that has the background and everything and a .txt was created with the details of my galaxy, but nothing changes in game. All stock, only kopernicus and TBG for this test. i see sombody else was looking for some system specs so here are mine:

qX8MhDu.png 

I do all the dev for TBG on a Mac, so yes. What version of module manager are you using?