[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

6 minutes ago, Kuldaralagh said:

this is a very cool mod, but is there a way to limit the amount of stars?

I mean, I could use some 5 to 10 stars, over 60 is just killing my machine. it wont even load in a reasonable amount of time

If you choose to make a custom galaxy, you can define exactly the number of stars you would like

There's no trick. It's on purpose. @Kuldaralagh

On 9/19/2017 at 9:11 AM, seanth said:

Yes. Moon generation was disabled because of a game-breaking bug in the code. The 0.3.0.5c (aka To Boldly Go:"a little less moonage") release disabled moon generation because of a mod-breaking bug reported by @Ecdragonz.

I've been putting out other fires in the code, and will be re-implementing basic moon generation soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience :(

The (short) bug note is here for those interested: https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/issues/14

Everyone talks about the weather moons, but no one does anything about it. Including me.

UNTIL NOW!

Moon generation is back, and it should be relative "smart." Going off the assumption that the Earth:Luna system is an unusual situation--where the moon is so large relative to the Earth--I used the relationship between the radius of Earth and Luna to make a cutoff point in moon placement. Now, you can have situations where Laythe-like planets end up with Minmus-like moons.

You can grab the latest To Boldly Go "a little more moonage" from 

https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/releases/tag/0.3.0.5f

I also found a bug in white dwarf generation which _might_ have been causing some of the weird bugs people were reporting hat I couldn't easily troubleshoot.

As always, let me know about any new problems now that moons are back.

19 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

There's no trick. It's on purpose. @Kuldaralagh

Bummer.

4 hours ago, seanth said:

Everyone talks about the weather moons, but no one does anything about it. Including me.

UNTIL NOW!

Moon generation is back, and it should be relative "smart." Going off the assumption that the Earth:Luna system is an unusual situation--where the moon is so large relative to the Earth--I used the relationship between the radius of Earth and Luna to make a cutoff point in moon placement. Now, you can have situations where Laythe-like planets end up with Minmus-like moons.

You can grab the latest To Boldly Go "a little more moonage" from 

https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/releases/tag/0.3.0.5f

I also found a bug in white dwarf generation which _might_ have been causing some of the weird bugs people were reporting hat I couldn't easily troubleshoot.

As always, let me know about any new problems now that moons are back.

awesome.

see, the trick was timing. downloading it.

TBG isn't exactly working for me. I created the galaxy and it won't exactly (When I say that, I mean it won't work at all) work. Usual boring kerbol system when I proceed to the tracking system. :( P.S. Does this create a galactic core or is Kerbol still the center of the kerbal universe? :) (I say that so I can still use my usual save file) Edit: I'm a derp, I forgot to install Copernicus :blush: Edit 2: Working fine, but it's centered around a different star ;.; Is it possible that a kerbol - centered version of TBG will be released for people who... prefer it that way? Edit 3: It is kerbol centered, but it breaks Kerbol SOI and sets it to 9647km. Edit 4: I'll try to attach the galaxy files incase you wanted them :) Pacala is my fav. :D (I Don't know how to attach files)

Edited by Bej Kerman

On 10/27/2017 at 1:01 PM, Bej Kerman said:

Edit 3: It is kerbol centered, but it breaks Kerbol SOI and sets it to 9647km. Edit 4: I'll try to attach the galaxy files incase you wanted them :) Pacala is my fav. :D (I Don't know how to attach files)

@Bej Kerman: Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was out of town for a holiday party.

When you made a galaxy, there should be a file named something like "Galaxygen_Info-<name of your galaxy>.txt" Could you paste the text of that file in either a direct message, or here on the forum? That will tell me what version of TBG you are using, and what your seed is so I can see what is going on. The change in Kerbol's SOI is odd. It makes me suspect you are using an older version of TBG, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. Sending me that text is the first place to start.

44 minutes ago, seanth said:

@Bej Kerman: Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was out of town for a holiday party.

When you made a galaxy, there should be a file named something like "Galaxygen_Info-<name of your galaxy>.txt" Could you paste the text of that file in either a direct message, or here on the forum? That will tell me what version of TBG you are using, and what your seed is so I can see what is going on. The change in Kerbol's SOI is odd. It makes me suspect you are using an older version of TBG, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. Sending me that text is the first place to start.

I think I downloaded TBG via Spacedock, so I wasn't thinking about the version I was using, and here's the text you wanted.

_______      ____        _     _ _          _____
 |__   __|    |  _ \      | |   | | |        / ____|
    | | ___   | |_) | ___ | | __| | |_   _  | |  __  ___
    | |/ _ \  |  _ < / _ \| |/ _` | | | | | | | |_ |/ _ \
    | | (_) | | |_) | (_) | | (_| | | |_| | | |__| | (_) |
    |_|\___/  |____/ \___/|_|\__,_|_|\__, |  \_____|\___/
                                      __/ |
                                     |___/
*****Kandromedae***** v0.3.0.5f
Creation Date: 18:52:53 10-27-2017
Generation Mode: c
Seed: 3.141593E+09 
Galaxy Type: 1 
Galaxy Age: 1 
Cluster Number: 0 
Planets: y
Asteroids: y
L to Y class (~Brown~): 5 
M class (~Red~): 10 
K class (~Orange~): 20 
G class (~Yellow~): 25 
F class (~Yellow-white~): 3 
A class (~White~): 7 
B class (~Blue-White~): 9 
O class (~Blue~): 13 
White Dwarves: 3 
-----------------
 94 Stars
 211 Planets
 209 Moons
 40 Asteroids
 554  Total
-----------------

Edit: Also, recently I found out, It still lets Kerbol be universal centre, so saves don't break between TBG being installed or not.

Edited by Bej Kerman

OK. You have the most recent version. I'll use your seed (pi to 9 digits, yes?) to try and make your galaxy and see what is going on.

Just to be clear, you have seen Ker_bol_'s SOI become 9647km? Because that is very, very small. Was this something you saw in the galaxy.cfg, or did you find this out some other way?

17 hours ago, seanth said:

OK. You have the most recent version. I'll use your seed (pi to 9 digits, yes?) to try and make your galaxy and see what is going on.

Just to be clear, you have seen Ker_bol_'s SOI become 9647km? Because that is very, very small. Was this something you saw in the galaxy.cfg, or did you find this out some other way?

I don't know what I was doing that made me do this, but I just attempted hyperediting something I lazily built into a (Decent) orbit around Kerbol (Maybe about 1000000000 meters). Also, I fixed this by making a new galaxy. And yes, the seed is pi to the 9 digits.

57 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I don't know what I was doing that made me do this, but I just attempted hyperediting something I lazily built into a (Decent) orbit around Kerbol (Maybe about 1000000000 meters). Also, I fixed this by making a new galaxy. And yes, the seed is pi to the 9 digits.

Does this mean everything is working ok for you now? (No need for me to troubleshoot yay dance time?)

14 hours ago, Dryo said:

How do I actually download/apply this mod? I've tried it and it isn't working.

It contains an EXE file. Open it and use it to configure your galaxy. The config it generates is all that's needed for TBG to load.

Hi Guys, 

I've started (slightly randomly) to code a galaxy generation tool, but I'm writing in C# (as an exercise in learning it).

As I'm very familiar with the workings of ToBG would you mind If I used the supporting templates and textures in my eventual build?

My plan is to make this highly object oriented to ease the maintenance and extensibility of the code.

Ben

On 11/4/2017 at 7:36 PM, Dryo said:

How do I actually download/apply this mod? I've tried it and it isn't working.

Have you also installed Kopernicus?  TBG absolutely requires Kopernicus to tell KSP how to make the galaxy. That might not overly clear in the initial post.

2 hours ago, bunjatec said:

Hi Guys, 

I've started (slightly randomly) to code a galaxy generation tool, but I'm writing in C# (as an exercise in learning it).

As I'm very familiar with the workings of ToBG would you mind If I used the supporting templates and textures in my eventual build?

My plan is to make this highly object oriented to ease the maintenance and extensibility of the code.

Ben

I have no problem with this. I'm not a huge fan of QBasic, and I had initially started helping out with TBG by writing things in python and then porting them to QB64, so the templates and some of the formatting in the code I have done are python-ish to ease those conversions.

So go for it! All I ask is, if you end up posting the code or something that you and I try to stay synced up on how things work. Otherwise we end up with the minecraft tablet vs desktop problem :) 

3 hours ago, DrDino said:

hey When I looked to see what I god generated I Just had the normal kerbin system 

If you are asking for help, I will need more details.

4 hours ago, seanth said:

Have you also installed Kopernicus?  TBG absolutely requires Kopernicus to tell KSP how to make the galaxy. That might not overly clear in the initial post.

I have no problem with this. I'm not a huge fan of QBasic, and I had initially started helping out with TBG by writing things in python and then porting them to QB64, so the templates and some of the formatting in the code I have done are python-ish to ease those conversions.

So go for it! All I ask is, if you end up posting the code or something that you and I try to stay synced up on how things work. Otherwise we end up with the minecraft tablet vs desktop problem :) 

If you are asking for help, I will need more details.

Alright, it worked, but now I'm having zoom problems... it is not zooming out the entire galaxy, just the stars I select.

4 hours ago, Dryo said:

Alright, it worked, but now I'm having zoom problems... it is not zooming out the entire galaxy, just the stars I select.

Hmmm. I have never encountered that problem. So when you select a star, that star gets centered, but you can't zoom out? Can you zoom out when first start on Kerbin? What about if you have "Core" selected? 

Does KSP allow different ways to zoom (keyboard vs mouse/trackpad)? I've only ever played KSP on Mac OS using a touchpad, so I don't really know how zooming works on other platforms.

On 06/11/2017 at 10:32 PM, seanth said:

Hmmm. I have never encountered that problem. So when you select a star, that star gets centered, but you can't zoom out? Can you zoom out when first start on Kerbin? What about if you have "Core" selected? 

Does KSP allow different ways to zoom (keyboard vs mouse/trackpad)? I've only ever played KSP on Mac OS using a touchpad, so I don't really know how zooming works on other platforms.

Yes I can but only the star systems, not the galaxy, so I can't see in an over view of the galaxy. Sure I can . IDK what u mean with core.

Edited by Dryo

15 hours ago, seanth said:

That's fair, once I've got something that vaguely works I'll pop the project up online so you can have a look. 

I'm using the community version of visual studio so it should be easy enough to pick it up. 

it should allow us to generate any number of complex systems (binary, where one star is much bigger than the other for example) and my earlier idea where you can extend a universe based on the same seed will be implemented too.

Other features that will go in will be a scale factor (real universe, Kerbal universe, and funsize),  a windows form style UI and possibly spiral galaxies but the main feature will be the extensibility of it.. oh and potentially a visualisation tool just to check it's all formed correctly.

BTW why does kerbol need to be on the outside edge? is it just to stop it  having an overlapping SOI with other stars? I may have a solution to fix this..