[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

4 hours ago, seanth said:

How would you envision that working when you make a new universe? A "start in random star system" option? Would it be Kerbin in a new system, or the KSC showing up on a random planet?

I think most likely the kerbin will be in a new system...

On 1/8/2017 at 1:06 PM, mario-sov said:

I believe that Kopernicus has something called PostSpawnOrbit which is designed to workaround reparenting Kerbin. For example:

@Body[Kerbin]
 {
    PostSpawnOrbit
    {
        referenceBody = Kerbol
    }
 }

I'm using this approach in my game. If you'd like I'll make a PR request to your code, just point me to your repository :)

@mario-sov: I have this working, but the space center is partly embedded into the terrain and the flags at the flagpoles are deformed. After I go into a building or something and then return to the space center, everything seems ok. Is this "normal"?

47 minutes ago, seanth said:

@mario-sov: I have this working, but the space center is partly embedded into the terrain and the flags at the flagpoles are deformed. After I go into a building or something and then return to the space center, everything seems ok. Is this "normal"?

That's a question for Kopernicus devs. Probably a side effect of using such a way to reparent a planet in Kopernicus.

Edited by mario-sov

I've been trying to help @daniel l. out a little--thus far just by assisting in streamlining code and setting up an unofficial github repository. 

It feels like I reached a point where I can start thinking about adding features, so I thought I'd ask people what they'd be interested in. Here are some ideas:

• A supermassive blackhole (Kraken?) that all the stars orbit. Along with this: should the orbit lines of stars be visible
  • A patch to let To Boldly Go work well with Research Bodies
  • Automate star generation more based on real-world scaling relationships
  • Auto-generate wiki pages for each star made by To Boldly Go
  • Other ideas?

EDIT: Example disc galaxy with star orbit lines visible. I personally think it looks too busy.

EDIT EDIT: There was a problem with the site hosting my image.

8mOj0d2.png

Edited by seanth

58 minutes ago, seanth said:
  • EDIT: Example disc galaxy with star orbit lines visible. I personally think it looks too busy.

iV8TExdoGN3n2ofJHtkk3e1rL8nF-91VMmE1cRzb

Indeed, less is more. The orbit should also be at succeeding longer distances. Something that looks like our own solar system.

10 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Indeed, less is more. The orbit should also be at succeeding longer distances. Something that looks like our own solar system.

That could be done using a truncated normal distribution function. Have the lower value be the central blackhole's roche limit, and the upper limit be the max radius for the galaxy

Edited by seanth

Example auto-generated wiki entry:

EDIT: There was a problem with the site hosting my images

UfUe8Jz.png

All these values (except mass and rotational period) were calculated by feeding the mass of Kerbol. Compare to the official wiki page.

Is this something people would be interested in as a part of the output? I can get the rotational period of the stars to be generated based on star temp. It'd be a bit of a kludge, but we could just say hotter stars rotate faster.

Edited by seanth

3 hours ago, seanth said:

Example auto-generated wiki entry:

vyIencsVKrOogIf29ybCaFmAr9At09crQtNObHra

All these values (except mass and rotational period) were calculated by feeding the mass of Kerbol. Compare to the official wiki page.

Is this something people would be interested in as a part of the output? I can get the rotational period of the stars to be generated based on star temp. It'd be a bit of a kludge, but we could just say hotter stars rotate faster.

For some reason i can't see the pictures. Only a little circle that looks like a flathead screw. :huh:

I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean at the very start? If so, the missing Kerbal Space Center is a known problem that will (hopefully) be fixed on our end in the next point release. Click on the buttons to the left of the screen to go to the various buildings.

EDIT: Are you seeing something like this? 

Edited by seanth

Spent a little while figuring out how to allow planets from other mods appear in the generated galaxy:

CnqdTD4.png

Planet Cyran, made by @The White Guardian, appearing around the auto-generated star "Degoos".

Not quite fully working, but proof of principle is in hand.

What this means is that, hopefully, people will be able to include "rare" or "special" planets in their generated galaxies (assuming they have the planet pack that has the planets installed)