[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

9 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

I do. It may be fixed in the next update, Though you may still not like what you see... (The kraken hath grabbed thy KSC and shaketh it all over.)

However the buttons should do reasonably well soon. I'm sorry about the little glitch that adds on more stars every retry though, I will have to fix that :)

I was going to like your post but I've already passed 25 likes and cant give any more today.

Alright thanks, I tried firing it up again and I had two crashes while browsing planes to use on the runway.  Here are the links to the error log and crash.dmp, maybe you can get something from them that'll help your efforts?

error.log

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4di8iA-wQsscXZGUlVVc0ZHdlE

crash.dmp

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4di8iA-wQsscnY0UHlJdFVvSWs

I believe these belong to the second of the two crashes, but both occurred in basically the same spot and time frame whilst scanning through my increasingly frighteningly large selection of aircraft.

1 minute ago, The_Right_Arm said:

Alright thanks, I tried firing it up again and I had two crashes while browsing planes to use on the runway.  Here are the links to the error log and crash.dmp, maybe you can get something from them that'll help your efforts?

error.log

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4di8iA-wQsscXZGUlVVc0ZHdlE

crash.dmp

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4di8iA-wQsscnY0UHlJdFVvSWs

I believe these belong to the second of the two crashes, but both occurred in basically the same spot and time frame whilst scanning through my increasingly frighteningly large selection of aircraft.

I can't really understand the log jargon so i unfortunately cant help you there :(. However, Considering that TBG merely generates a Kopernicus config file, It must be a Kopernicus issue. Perhaps @Thomas P. can help you.

1 minute ago, daniel l. said:

I can't really understand the log jargon so i unfortunately cant help you there :(. However, Considering that TBG merely generates a Kopernicus config file, It must be a Kopernicus issue. Perhaps @Thomas P. can help you.

Thanks!  I'll look into it tomorrow.  Getting a bit late here, and that'll give me something to do whenever I need a break from writing my paper tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

a) both of theese logs are useless

b) I wont do the support for your mod. If your program generates configs that crash Kopernicus, you have to fix your program, or send me a minimal (handwritten) config that causes the bug + the propper KSP.log and the Kopernicus logfiles

I hope you will understand that I am not in the mood to walk through an autogenerated galaxy and spellcheck everything. :wink: I will happily take a look at the logs though (the correct ones). 

1 minute ago, Thomas P. said:

b) I wont do the support for your mod. If your program generates configs that crash Kopernicus, you have to fix your program, or send me a minimal (handwritten) config that causes the bug + the propper KSP.log and the Kopernicus logfiles

I never asked for your support. I simply figured that perhaps you could explain if there was some sort of bug that happened if too many objects were generated. I've looked over my star code for weeks if not months now and i still have not found a single problem that could possibly have this effect. And i hoped that perhaps it was a Kopernicus issue.

2 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

I never asked for your support. I simply figured that perhaps you could explain if there was some sort of bug that happened if too many objects were generated. I've looked over my star code for weeks if not months now and i still have not found a single problem that could possibly have this effect. And i hoped that perhaps it was a Kopernicus issue.

I have no problem with that. I just dont want that someone reads your post as "my mod only generates configs, if they dont work Kopernicus is broken" :)

Just now, Thomas P. said:

I have no problem with that. I just dont want that someone reads your post as "my mod only generates configs, if they dont work Kopernicus is broken" :)

I understand. I just could not find an error within the generator that could explain the issue.

10 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

a) both of theese logs are useless

I will happily take a look at the logs though (the correct ones). 

Where would I find the proper logs then?  I pulled those two from the KSP crash folder.  I'll get you the logs if you can tell me where they are.

Quick update, I did a little messing around to figure out whether it was TBG or Kopernicus that was causing the problems.  So I removed TBG from the gamedata and ran KSP with only Kopernicus and my other mods, and the KSC does appear, so it seems that the issue is isolated to TBG.  I also tried reinstalling TBG and just using the stock galaxy that it comes with, which resulted in infinite loading waiting for the main menu to pop up.  I'll see what I can come up with.

4 hours ago, The_Right_Arm said:

Quick update, I did a little messing around to figure out whether it was TBG or Kopernicus that was causing the problems.  So I removed TBG from the gamedata and ran KSP with only Kopernicus and my other mods, and the KSC does appear, so it seems that the issue is isolated to TBG.  I also tried reinstalling TBG and just using the stock galaxy that it comes with, which resulted in infinite loading waiting for the main menu to pop up.  I'll see what I can come up with.

The reason for the KSC disappearing act is purely because it relocates kerbol and kerbin, It doesn't like to be moved with kopernicus. The only work around I've managed is removing this 

@Body[Moho]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }
 @Body[Eve]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }
 @Body[Kerbin]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }
 @Body[Duna]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }
 @Body[Dres]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }
 @Body[Jool]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }
 @Body[Eeloo]
 {
     @Orbit
     {
            @referenceBody = Kerbol
     }
 }

and setting kerbol's semimajor axis to 1, this way planets end up back where they belong and no more KSC bugging out. the infinite load screen is something wrong in the generated file like an off value or something, just generate a new one till you get one that works

1 hour ago, leoxc said:

The reason for the KSC disappearing act is purely because it relocates kerbol and kerbin, It doesn't like to be moved with kopernicus. The only work around I've managed is removing this 

-snip-

and setting kerbol's semimajor axis to 1, this way planets end up back where they belong and no more KSC bugging out. the infinite load screen is something wrong in the generated file like an off value or something, just generate a new one till you get one that works

Thanks for your help!  I'll try that.

Sorry it took me so long to get around to testing the fixes suggested by leo.  I've had a very busy last few days.  I have tested them now however.  I had to create a new galaxy file since my previous file stopped working for whatever reason.  There was no infinite loading screen, but unfortunately it seems the kraken is still playing around with my KSC, as it is still not there.  It did appear when I was realized my galaxy file had stopped working, but once I did have a functioning galaxy file it was gone again.  Also, I can't seem to scroll through my plane list in the runway tab without causing the game to glitch out and crash (it was doing this before the script edits too).  Granted I have a very, very extensively developed collection of aircraft, and there are quite a good few of them, but it still was not doing this before, and I can't seem to launch from the SPH either because as soon as I hit launch it crashes in a similar fashion (at least I get to hit the launch button this way, I don't even get that far going from the runway tab).  I really want this mod to work, because it is fascinating to me and I love all the potential it has to offer, but I do seem to be having one hell of a time getting it to cooperate with me.  The only way I have been able to get aircraft to work is by flying existing aircraft that have already been landed, which is good for having a look around a single planet through hyperedit, but I am trying to get a dedicated exploratory aircraft out there and I can't do that without being able to launch one. 

I am not sure if its something I am doing wrong or if its the seed or something else but there seem to be more stars generated than any other type of celestial bodies. Not every star has planets however when you take into account that stars that have planets often have more than one and that planets can have multiple moons it stands to reason that you should see somewhat of a growth pattern where you have more planets than stars more moons than planets etc? after a fair number of tests it seems that planets are trending towards being the rarest objects generated. I tried doing custom generation however the user interface seems to be lacking the option of specifying minimum numbers of planets and moons.

18 hours ago, The_Right_Arm said:

Sorry it took me so long to get around to testing the fixes suggested by leo.  I've had a very busy last few days.  I have tested them now however.  I had to create a new galaxy file since my previous file stopped working for whatever reason.  There was no infinite loading screen, but unfortunately it seems the kraken is still playing around with my KSC, as it is still not there.  It did appear when I was realized my galaxy file had stopped working, but once I did have a functioning galaxy file it was gone again.  Also, I can't seem to scroll through my plane list in the runway tab without causing the game to glitch out and crash (it was doing this before the script edits too).  Granted I have a very, very extensively developed collection of aircraft, and there are quite a good few of them, but it still was not doing this before, and I can't seem to launch from the SPH either because as soon as I hit launch it crashes in a similar fashion (at least I get to hit the launch button this way, I don't even get that far going from the runway tab).  I really want this mod to work, because it is fascinating to me and I love all the potential it has to offer, but I do seem to be having one hell of a time getting it to cooperate with me.  The only way I have been able to get aircraft to work is by flying existing aircraft that have already been landed, which is good for having a look around a single planet through hyperedit, but I am trying to get a dedicated exploratory aircraft out there and I can't do that without being able to launch one. 

I would recommend making a single new star, no planets, no astroids, using the TBG app and trying that out. We need to isolate what the problem is.

1 hour ago, Mikeloeven said:

I am not sure if its something I am doing wrong or if its the seed or something else but there seem to be more stars generated than any other type of celestial bodies. Not every star has planets however when you take into account that stars that have planets often have more than one and that planets can have multiple moons it stands to reason that you should see somewhat of a growth pattern where you have more planets than stars more moons than planets etc? after a fair number of tests it seems that planets are trending towards being the rarest objects generated. I tried doing custom generation however the user interface seems to be lacking the option of specifying minimum numbers of planets and moons.

Sorry about that. But planets are more more resource consuming than stars. So i needed to cut down on the number of planets while still populating the galaxy.

2 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Sorry about that. But planets are more more resource consuming than stars. So i needed to cut down on the number of planets while still populating the galaxy.

I noticed that myself and also wondered why that is. Fascinating. Perhaps make it a toggle and put a huge disclaimer on it.

mqdefault.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, Mikeloeven said:

yeah I am wondering if that's why my space center looks like this because I cranked the stars up so high

Little i can do there unfortunately. But hey! At least you can upgrade and repair buildings! :wink:

At least he has buildings. :P  I'll update to the new version and if that doesn't fix it I'll follow seanth's suggestion and see what that does.

Update:

Took me 3 tries loading (and making a lightly smaller galaxy - 420 bodies is too many apparently, but 403 is no problem) but I finally got my game to load, and you guys have managed to fix my problem.  KSC appeared, galaxy appeared, everything seems to be in working order.  Time to explore.  Thanks so much guys!

Update 2:

I've started having the same graphical glitch that mikeloeven is having.  It is a bit more pronounced on my build, depending on how I angle my camera, I can have up to half the KSC underground or near to it, surrounded by canyon sized terrain seams.  It also appears to have severely messed with colliders too, as spawning on the runway results in my plane phasing straight through the runway and onto the ground below.  I also then spawned into my first planet with atmosphere, which also happens to have massive bodies of water on it.  When I attempted to make a water landing in order to set up a ship spawn, first, as I made my landing approach the game started acting funny, like the surface did not appear to be moving beneath me, and my plane was somewhat stuttering down.  Generally speaking the physics were acting strange.  And then upon hitting the water, my plane then sank a further 10 meters before the game generated the effects and sounds indicating a splashdown.  The plane then stayed there, indicating that is in fact where the water is, despite it displaying several meters over my head.  The massive gaps in the terrain seems is not unique to Kerbin too.  It has also happened on every other planet I've hyper-edited to, including those generated by TBG.

Update 3:

Got thinking (which is dangerous for me), and I decided to try leo's fix for my disappearing KSC posted above on my current problems.  This appears to have fixed the graphical errors with the massive gaps in the terrain seems and the KSC bouncing all over the place, only downside is it does not appear the colliders are fixed, although I could not really test it and it could well be an artifact from before I modified the script, and also you have to launch planes from the surface of the sun.

Edited by The_Right_Arm

16 hours ago, Mikeloeven said:

yeah I am wondering if that's why my space center looks like this because I cranked the stars up so high

-clip-

My thinking is that it may be due to the x64 bit limit. TBG would never be possible in x32, but if you have SO many stars with so many planets around them and so many moons around those, you may be hitting the x64 bit limit, causing inaccuracies in the lower end of float variables which will cause truncated decimals. Those truncated decimals will be misplaced meshes/collisions, not dissimilar to what RSS had back when KSP was x32.

If that is the case then maybe I should try and go for a smaller galaxy and see if that does anything.  Between stars, planets, and moons, I have 403 additional bodies in my galaxy, down from 420 in my first attempt in the new patch.  I'm going to try for about 250.  Granted that won't provide me with much in terms of star systems to explore, but if it fixes the performance issues then it is the way to go.

I generated a new galaxy with less stars and the degree of the artifacts was reduced but still present. the main issue is that when this occurs it becomes impossible to launch rockets because as soon as physics simulation kicks on the rocket is shot upwards about 100 feet or so and flips (this is before any sort of ignition) I tried using support anchors and than when physics began the rocket didn't move but the game completely locked up and i couldn't launch at all. Honestly I dont think this will work until they find a way to multi-thread the physics. It always sucks when you have a beast of a CPU and a game uses less than 15% of it

Edited by Mikeloeven