[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

14 hours ago, CELL_Crytek said:

i installe the folder in my data game and i generated a galaxy but when i lunch the game, i just see kerbin solar system. can you help me fix this problem?

Have you also installed Kopernicus? To Boldly Go requires Kopernicus to work.

Hello!

Thank you so much for this mod! This is really incredible. I was looking for realistic KSP-style game that covers galaxy-scale, and here I found your mod that make KSP itself such a game! This is really the mod I was lacking.

Is it possible that in future your mod will be compatible with other multi-star mods like KSS?

Any contracts for other SS? That would be nice not only travel there for fun, but also do some work there.

Also I confirm that this mod works with KSP 1.3. Just install the latest version of Kopernicus.

Hello. This looks such a cool mod. How do I install it though? I'm generating it using the .exe and getting a .txt file out. Where do I put this afterwards? I'm probs doing something stupid but all I get is the standard solar system. Thanks.

Edit: Just read that I need Kopernicus. cool mod keep it up.

Edited by MattPlaysSimulations

18 hours ago, MattPlaysSimulations said:

Hello. This looks such a cool mod. How do I install it though? I'm generating it using the .exe and getting a .txt file out. Where do I put this afterwards? I'm probs doing something stupid but all I get is the standard solar system. Thanks.

Edit: Just read that I need Kopernicus. cool mod keep it up.

If you extracted the zip into the gamedata folder, and generated the config and txt, then it should work! It will load slowly at first as it has to generate all the cache files, afterwards, it will be much faster.

4 hours ago, daniel l. said:

If you extracted the zip into the gamedata folder, and generated the config and txt, then it should work! It will load slowly at first as it has to generate all the cache files, afterwards, it will be much faster.

Thanks. Got it working fine. Fantastic mod. I have found that the new stars are all clustered together in one specific direction meaning that the is just a massive glow in a certain direction. shouldn't they be evenly distributed around the standard solar system?

2 hours ago, MattPlaysSimulations said:

I have found that the new stars are all clustered together in one specific direction meaning that the is just a massive glow in a certain direction. shouldn't they be evenly distributed around the standard solar system?

You should probably ask @seanth about that. :wink:

Is there any way to reduce the brightness of the core? I have looked into reducing brightness curves but didn't understand anything. The mod is really bright, sometimes brighter than Kerbol itself.

On 7/7/2017 at 5:52 AM, MattPlaysSimulations said:

Thanks. Got it working fine. Fantastic mod. I have found that the new stars are all clustered together in one specific direction meaning that the is just a massive glow in a certain direction. shouldn't they be evenly distributed around the standard solar system?

When you make a disc type galaxy, the stars are arranged around a point that is the center of the Kerbals' home galaxy. Kerbol is on the edge of the galaxy, so you'll see a cluster in a certain region...sort of like how our galaxy on edge shows up. Put another way: the stars don't cluster around Kerbol; Kerbol is one of many that orbits a distant point.

15 hours ago, VamKor said:

Is there any way to reduce the brightness of the core? I have looked into reducing brightness curves but didn't understand anything. The mod is really bright, sometimes brighter than Kerbol itself.

I, too, have looked at the brightness curves, but have yet to find documentation on exactly what values do.

Maybe someone more familiar with Kopernicus could volunteer and offer some advice/help?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 10:33 PM, seanth said:

I, too, have looked at the brightness curves, but have yet to find documentation on exactly what values do.

Maybe someone more familiar with Kopernicus could volunteer and offer some advice/help?

Here you go.

To make it short, the first number in the key is 1/x amount in homeworld AU (so the curve starts with the stock flare's appearance at maximum or infinite distance). Then the second number is the sunflare scale.

2 hours ago, Trekkie148 said:

Is there a mac version for this if there is for 1.3 then please send a link plz. Thank you!

There is, but it's experimental. You can give it a shot though: https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/tree/Janet

That Mac OS version is actually slightly ahead feature wise. I'm still working on how to make window's .exe versions from my development mac.

Just discovered this mod. Watching EAGERLY. You have piqued my interest... this would fit well into my KSPI campaign I'm doing... and would make for the perfect beyond end game thing... Nice.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, wenth said:

how long does the mod normaly take to start up the first time. i know it takes a while but.....its been almost an hour of watching the loading icon spin...

How big did you make your galaxy? The game has to generate binary files for each star, planet, asteroid, etc... A binary file is typically about 0.6MB in size, thus a large galaxy can accumulate to gigabytes worth of binaries. Luckily this only need happen once, the game loads quite snappy after the binaries are done.

The game might crash part way. Just start it again and it will continue where it left off.

1. Do all planets have different textures now, instead of using the stock solar system planet textures?

2. Are all these stars orbiting kerbol or orbiting an galactic center or staying still?

3. Can i generate a S-type binary solar system or P-type binary system?

4. Is researchbodies or scatterer or EVE support?

Edited by hanhan658

6 hours ago, hanhan658 said:

1. Do all planets have different textures now, instead of using the stock solar system planet textures?

Sorry, no. While possible, it would be quite complex to code, and it would not only slow the game (perhaps it might not even start.) but it would be rather a useless ordeal.

Planets in KSP tend to be quite boring in actuality, it is the voyage that matters. The challenge that it takes to get there. I may someday, but it would require a significantly smaller galaxy generation to even function.

2. Are all these stars orbiting kerbol or orbiting an galactic center or staying still?

The stars orbit a galactic center that orbits Kerbol. Complex, I know. But it works. The only requirement of this is that Kerbol is always the farthest star from the galactic core as it has to remain outside of the core's SOI.

3. Can i generate a S-type binary solar system or P-type binary system?

Not yet, I may implement this in the future though. Someday.

4. Is researchbodies or scatterer or EVE support?

Sorry. None of the above.

6 hours ago, Trekkie148 said:

From the looks of the mod besides it being awesome, I wan't to know if there is a MAC_osx version for the mod?

The source code comes packaged with the download, install QB64 on your Mac and recompile the source code. That should do it.

However, the program itself is of little consequence once the config file is generated. Someone could share theirs too.

6 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Sorry, no. While possible, it would be quite complex to code, and it would not only slow the game (perhaps it might not even start.) but it would be rather a useless ordeal.

Planets in KSP tend to be quite boring in actuality, it is the voyage that matters. The challenge that it takes to get there. I may someday, but it would require a significantly smaller galaxy generation to even function.

The stars orbit a galactic center that orbits Kerbol. Complex, I know. But it works. The only requirement of this is that Kerbol is always the farthest star from the galactic core as it has to remain outside of the core's SOI.

Not yet, I may implement this in the future though. Someday.

Sorry. None of the above.

The source code comes packaged with the download, install QB64 on your Mac and recompile the source code. That should do it.

However, the program itself is of little consequence once the config file is generated. Someone could share theirs too.

Ok I need help. I don't know on how to recompile the source code and I am not a tech person. I an not trying to rush anyone but can I please have a .app version?

Edited by Trekkie148

3 hours ago, Trekkie148 said:

Ok I need help. I don't know on how to recompile the source code and I am not a tech person. I an not trying to rush anyone but can I please have a .app version?

You can try https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/blob/Janet/GalaxyGen.app but it is experimental

Edited by seanth

On 8/12/2017 at 9:16 AM, Trekkie148 said:

Thanks but it says when I open it it says I cant open it :(

I am back from a summer of mostly being AFK, and the plan is to start getting updates rolling again.

@Trekkie148: This problem has shown up before. Would you be willing to DM me info about you mac? What version of the OS you are running, etc. It'd be nice to understand why the mac os apps work for me, but not necessarily other people.