[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

2 hours ago, seanth said:

Too awesome I guess

New release that should "fix" the bugs reported by @Ecdragonz

https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/releases

Just tested, there are a few minor SOI issues. I'll fix it.

However, it seems that the light of Kerbol itself is still illuminating everything. It overpowers the light of dimmer stars. Is there some fix for this?

14 hours ago, seanth said:

I might be able to advise you on how to change your original galaxy to include the brightness fixes.

I'd really like that, since I already made a map of the Laythe clones in the galaxy.

On 8/19/2017 at 10:25 PM, seanth said:

I am back from a summer of mostly being AFK, and the plan is to start getting updates rolling again.

@Trekkie148: This problem has shown up before. Would you be willing to DM me info about you mac? What version of the OS you are running, etc. It'd be nice to understand why the mac os apps work for me, but not necessarily other people.

The latest

22 hours ago, Trekkie148 said:

The latest

Please give specs. There are still several models of a machine that can pass for "the latest."

@seanth Is there a particular runtime or something you have installed that it's safe to expect most users won't also have? I have a bit of experience in trying to get Win apps to run on Mac or Linux. So I'm thinking Wine and/or Mono itself.

On 8/24/2017 at 0:59 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

Please give specs. There are still several models of a machine that can pass for "the latest."

@seanth Is there a particular runtime or something you have installed that it's safe to expect most users won't also have? I have a bit of experience in trying to get Win apps to run on Mac or Linux. So I'm thinking Wine and/or Mono itself.

I have two versions of QB64 installed. One is just the Mac OS version to make the .app, and the other is the windows version running in a wineskin to make the .exe

I don't _think_ I have anything unusual installed, though I'm considering just throwing the resulting .exe into a wineskin and releasing that as the Mac OS version.

Edit: longer term idea is to have a python version.

Edited by seanth

32 minutes ago, seanth said:

I have two versions of QB64 installed. One is just the Mac OS version to make the .app, and the other is the windows version running in a wineskin to make the .exe

I don't _think_ I have anything unusual installed, though I'm considering just throwing the resulting .exe into a wineskin and releasing that as the Mac OS version.

Edit: longer term idea is to have a python version.

That sounds like the answer I'm looking for. Mac users may need to have QB64 and/or Wine installed to use the generator.

I wish you well on the Python project. :) Make it so!

Hadn't there been a 1.2.2 version of To Boldly Go? Or am I mistaken? Not asking for a backport or anything, I'm just confused, because I thought that I'd played it a few times on the older version and I can't find it anywhere...

Edited by DestinyPlayer

3 hours ago, DestinyPlayer said:

Hadn't there been a 1.2.2 version of To Boldly Go? Or am I mistaken? Not asking for a backport or anything, I'm just confused, because I thought that I'd played it a few times on the older version and I can't find it anywhere...

Well, as long as there is a Kopernicus that can read the configs produced by TBG, it doesn't have a specific version. And there is in fact a Kopernicus backport for 1.2.2: https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases/tag/backport-1.2.2-11

4 hours ago, Cabbink said:

Brilliant.  Just need those procedural planets. You could create a catalog of planet textures and have the  system choose some. I could provide some color maps.

Hired, with a caveat.

I'm trying to update things to make sure they work with the latest version of Kopernicus. Multiple stars illuminating planets, etc.

Hopefully I'll have a new build out tomorrow that address problems people have reported. After that I can get back to planet and moon placement.

That doesn't mean we can't _also_ start working on the purely procedural planets in a fork.

2 hours ago, seanth said:

Hired, with a caveat.

I'm trying to update things to make sure they work with the latest version of Kopernicus. Multiple stars illuminating planets, etc.

Hopefully I'll have a new build out tomorrow that address problems people have reported. After that I can get back to planet and moon placement.

That doesn't mean we can't _also_ start working on the purely procedural planets in a fork.

Okay. Just tell me if you need any.

So, uh, I'm not sure if this is due to generating a new galaxy onto an existing savegame, but my Sun appears to have no SOI. Anything leaving Kerbin's SOI goes directly to interstellar space, do not pass go, do not collect $200. A couple space probes I already had en route are now wildly off-course.

I _think_ the problems with SOI are fixed. I've been testing things since 2017-0830 and my test craft can move smoothly from orbiting kerbin to orbiting the Sun to entering Core's SOI. You don't go into a nice orbit of Core, though. You enter Core's SOI on an escape trajectory.

I feel like this is going to be an ongoing minor problem, but I think it is patched enough that I can get back to working on the moon generation code. Anyone feel like giving it a shot with some warp drives?

https://github.com/kjoenth/To-Boldly-Go/releases/tag/0.3.0.5d

The real solution is probably as follows:

Spoiler

1.) Turn the existing sun into the center of the universe

2.) Make a new star named "Kerbol" that the normal KSP planets orbit. Kerbol orbits the original Sun

3.) All other stars orbit the original Sun

4.) All this can be done now, but reparenting Kerbin has done terrible things to the space center.

If anyone wants to take a crack at the above, please do. I messed around with things, and just haven't managed to make it work well.

Please don't say "use PostSpawnOrbit". I have tried that, but maybe I am doing it wrong. What would be most helpful is if you can show me a galaxy.cfg that does the above without a glitchy space center.

Edited by seanth

Out of curiosity,  has anyone using To Boldly Go gone from Kerbin to another star without using Hyperedit? Put another way, what warp mods are people using?

I started playing around with @RoverDude's Alcubierre Warp Drive. I have been messing with some settings to see if there is a balance between making a trip to another star take a bit of time in-game, but make it not too terrible. 

Right now I have a cheaty craft going along at 600,000% c. While that sounds OP--and it would be in a system--it feels like it's close to a good balance so far. If this works out, I'll chat with @daniel l. about whether we should include a module manager patch that gives a new part for use with TBG if you have Alcubierre Warp Drive installed.

The idea would be for there to be a variation of the warp drive that will only work far outside Eeloo's orbit. That drive would be the stupid fast one I'm using messing around with. So you'd still have to get out there before you can use it. 

Some observations so far:

• The Alcubierre Drive provides thrust. This can mess with you inertial speed relative to your orbit reference. A hypothetical interstellar version of the drive might do away with the thrust (if possible)
  • You can change your speed relative to your orbit reference WHILE in the warp bubble moving along. Future test craft I'm going to try will have conventional thrusters on the front and rear of the craft so I can more easily adjust relative speeds while still in warp.
  • It might be cool to try some of the cameras in Hullcam VDS Continued on the craft. Cinematically, it would be very nice to have a backward facing camera seeing Kerbol shrink away. 
  • The NavBall is lol when in warp between stars.
  • I sometimes have a insta-explosion due to "infinite" heat on parts when first starting out. It seems if I go to the map and select a target star and come back to the craft, it will explode sometimes. What seems to work is to point out of the system and enter warp. While in warp, go to the map screen and select your target star. It could just be luck, but I haven't seen the "infinity heat" explosion when I do that.

Spoiler

pNyRzrFbS_dYp-mfSe82jzAmSk4Tmq8lUyVAH2nQ

zY9O5T4iWzTrA89Jhe9gsRy_BuDThZDm3z_hqNpJ

1 day, 2hrs, 47 min: 1 trillion km from target star and closing

Edited by seanth

29 minutes ago, seanth said:

Out of curiosity,  has anyone using To Boldly Go gone from Kerbin to another star without using Hyperedit? Put another way, what warp mods are people using?

I started playing around with @RoverDude's Alcubierre Warp Drive. I have been messing with some settings to see if there is a balance between making a trip to another star take a bit of time in-game, but make it not too terrible. 

Right now I have a cheaty craft going along at 600,000% c. While that sounds OP--and it would be in a system--it feels like it's close to a good balance so far. If this works out, I'll chat with @daniel l. about whether we should include a module manager patch that gives a new part for use with TBG if you have Alcubierre Warp Drive installed.

The idea would be for there to be a variation of the warp drive that will only work far outside Eeloo's orbit. That drive would be the stupid fast one I'm using messing around with. So you'd still have to get out there before you can use it. 

• The Alcubierre Drive provides thrust. This can mess with you inertial speed relative to your orbit reference. A hypothetical interstellar version of the drive might do away with the thrust (if possible)
  • You can change your speed relative to your orbit reference WHILE in the warp bubble moving along. Future test craft I'm going to try will have conventional thrusters on the front and rear of the craft so I can more easily adjust relative speeds while still in warp.
  • It might be cool to try some of the cameras in Hullcam VDS Continued on the craft. Cinematically, it would be very nice to have a backward facing camera seeing Kerbol shrink away. 
  • I sometimes have a insta-explosion due to "infinite" heat on parts when first starting out. It seems if I go to the map and select a target star and come back to the craft, it will explode sometimes. What seems to work is to point out of the system and enter warp. While in warp, go to the map screen and select your target star. It could just be luck, but I haven't seen the "infinity heat" explosion when I do that.

Hide contents

pNyRzrFbS_dYp-mfSe82jzAmSk4Tmq8lUyVAH2nQ

zY9O5T4iWzTrA89Jhe9gsRy_BuDThZDm3z_hqNpJ

1 day, 2hrs, 47 min: 1 trillion km from target star and closing

Looks great! And I wholeheartedly approve of your idea for the warp engine. If you want I'll add you as a co-author on spacedock so you can publish your updates there too.

4 hours ago, seanth said:

A warp drive is not "cheaty" and OP, good sir. A warp drive is a warp drive. :wink:

There are caveats to using these things, namely, once you warp to a planet, your approach parameter matters and you need a high powered sub-light engine (or a convoluted warping technique) to set a proper orbit once you arrive at the next planet. Further difficulty is imposed if a life support mod is in use and a crew absolutely needs to get somewhere fast. Karborundum is the nearest option for uber-efficient and uber-powerful sub-light propulsion, as it is another USI mod, for setting a proper orbit after warping somewhere... But Karborundum is super rare and is challenging all on its own. You also have to watch your throttle and distance on the last few million km towards a planet. And if I may suggest, forcing a warp drive to be disabled anywhere within Eeloo's SMA is totally unreasonable. Absolutely no one would entertain such a handicap on a technology.

On a light note, I just happen to have been experimenting a lot with warp drives lately and found something relevant to you. If you delete the call to a thrust transform in ModuleEngines in the part configs, you can cure the phantom thrust problem (No thrust transform = no thrust). It might cause a null but I'm sure it will be harmless.

USI's Warp Drives differ other than in just their sizes. The big one has 3x the top speed of the small one.

Also.......indeed, the NavBall is LoL when warping.

14 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

And if I may suggest, forcing a warp drive to be disabled anywhere within Eeloo's SMA is totally unreasonable. Absolutely no one would entertain such a handicap on a technology.

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting breaking existing warp parts. I'm just thinking about a new class of warp drive part that only work between stars and lets you go 600,000%c or so.

44 minutes ago, seanth said:

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting breaking existing warp parts. I'm just thinking about a new class of warp drive part that only work between stars and lets you go 600,000%c or so.

Ohhh. That's still pretty complicated. You might have to write your own warp plugin. I think USI warp drives stop working if there's more than one on the same craft.

6 hours ago, seanth said:

@RoverDudeOut of curiosity,  has anyone using To Boldly Go gone from Kerbin to another star without using Hyperedit? Put another way, what warp mods are people using?

I haven't yet managed to get that far in any of my savegames, but I intend to use Roverdude's warp drive to trailblaze, and eventually ESLD Jump Beacons for more routine travel. I'm also curious to see just how broken the EM Drive really is over long-term use.

23 hours ago, seanth said:

I _think_ the problems with SOI are fixed. I've been testing things since 2017-0830 and my test craft can move smoothly from orbiting kerbin to orbiting the Sun to entering Core's SOI. You don't go into a nice orbit of Core, though. You enter Core's SOI on an escape trajectory.

After updating the mod and regenerating my galaxy with the same seed, I'm getting a mixed bag. Some probes don't hit the Core's SOI until outside Duna's orbit, others hit it just outside Kerbin's. It kinda looks like it may have something to do with what side of Kerbol they're on.

3 minutes ago, Jim Starluck said:

After updating the mod and regenerating my galaxy with the same seed, I'm getting a mixed bag. Some probes don't hit the Core's SOI until outside Duna's orbit, others hit it just outside Kerbin's. It kinda looks like it may have something to do with what side of Kerbol they're on.

Could you PM your seed, and resulting txt file? Maybe post your galaxy file somewhere I can see?