[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

56 minutes ago, Jodo42 said:

Is there currently any way to recover a "seed" that the generator uses to produce the requested galaxy? I've always wanted something like this in KSP, but for everyone else to have access to your exact galaxy if they so choose. Basically, how Minecraft does its procedural generation. 

Unfortunately seeds don't exist within my algorithm, but the galaxy.cfg file can be copied and shared online.

3 hours ago, Denko666 said:

This looks very promising, to bad the generator program only runs on Windows. 

Actually you can run it on mac or Linux as well, you just need to install QB64 and run the source code through it.

3 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Unfortunately seeds don't exist within my algorithm, but the galaxy.cfg file can be copied and shared online.

Actually you can run it on mac or Linux as well, you just need to install QB64 and run the source code through it.

Well, tried using Mono and terminal to open the EXE file on my mac, and it doesn't 'contain a valid CIL image'. CKAN, apparently, does - because it works - so perhaps there's something in the code that's not allowing Mono to open this type of .exe file.

Still hyped for this mod though! Gives an actual late-game for KSPIE!

Just now, 1011300 said:

Well, tried using Mono and terminal to open the EXE file on my mac, and it doesn't 'contain a valid CIL image'. CKAN, apparently, does - because it works - so perhaps there's something in the code that's not allowing Mono to open this type of .exe file.

Still hyped for this mod though! Gives an actual late-game for KSPIE!

So your saying you got it working on Mac? If so cool! :D 

38 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

So your saying you got it working on Mac? If so cool! :D 

Whoops, miscommunication :P

I'm saying that the exe doesn't work on mac, but the CKAN exe does so maybe you could do some looking at their code and jerry-rigging a little?

Just now, 1011300 said:

Whoops, miscommunication :P

I'm saying that the exe doesn't work on mac, but the CKAN exe does so maybe you could do some looking at their code and jerry-rigging a little?

http://www.qb64.net/ If you install QB64 on your mac then you can load in the source code for TBG and recompile it.

1 minute ago, 1011300 said:

Great! I'd love to use this mod. Downloading now.

The source code is available on spacedock in a pastebin link. If you copy paste it into QB64 then save it with a .bas extension in the To_Boldly_Go folder, Then run it. You will be able to hopefully run the program. I've gotten it working on linux so it should work on mac.

Whatever technique yo guys come up needs to be really easy for the less tech savvy of us with non-Win PCs to replicate, alternatively, an assortment of pre-made galaxies will need to be build and stored somewhere or the generator somehow converted into a web page. :huh:

I've managed to create a sun clone and relocated the stock solar system into orbit around it, It works almost flawlessly with the exception being that the KSC screen is totally black, The only reason it works at all is because of those wonderful buttons they added in 1.1, If anyone has any idea how to reparent kerbin without the KSC Scene becoming totally black. Paging @Thomas P.?

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Whatever technique yo guys come up needs to be really easy for the less tech savvy of us with non-Win PCs to replicate,

I do intend to eventually develop Linux/Mac versions, However i currently only have access to a windows machine.

4 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

alternatively, an assortment of pre-made galaxies will need to be build and stored somewhere

I definitely intend to do that. 

5 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

or the generator somehow converted into a web page. :huh:

If anyone can do that i will send them a picture of my cat!

7 hours ago, Jodo42 said:

Is there currently any way to recover a "seed" that the generator uses to produce the requested galaxy? I've always wanted something like this in KSP, but for everyone else to have access to your exact galaxy if they so choose. Basically, how Minecraft does its procedural generation. 

Yes. If you refer to Kottabos' review, the .exe file produces another that tells the game what planets to add. This file can be shared across email, or really any standard file sharing method.

10 hours ago, Denko666 said:

This looks very promising, to (sic) bad the generator program only runs on Windows. 

Dang it! That's why it won't work on my MacBook! @daniel l. can you please find a way to make an OSX version? I really love this mod, and want to download it, but that is a problem. Perhaps you could find a way to have the program run as KSP loads? That is time the player is waiting... I will contact a few people to see if they know how to do something like that. @JadeOfMaar do you know anyone?

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

Dang it! That's why it won't work on my MacBook! @daniel l. can you please find a way to make an OSX version? I really love this mod, and want to download it, but that is a problem. Perhaps you could find a way to have the program run as KSP loads? That is time the player is waiting... I will contact a few people to see if they know how to do something like that. @JadeOfMaar do you know anyone?

You can try compiling the source code yourself using the mac version of QB64.

So... There are currently two different types of galaxy officially planned to be optional, But what if i also added a new type of galaxy called: "Cluster" A collection of globular clusters going around a central cluster.

8 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

So... There are currently two different types of galaxy officially planned to be optional, But what if i also added a new type of galaxy called: "Cluster" A collection of globular clusters going around a central cluster.

Sounds good! What are the other two types? I haven't had a chance to try this out yet. I probably will tomorrow. Sounds like it's coming along well, keep up the good work!

1 minute ago, Benji13 said:

Sounds good! What are the other two types? I haven't had a chance to try this out yet. I probably will tomorrow. Sounds like it's coming along well, keep up the good work!

The other two planned types are Disk and Ellipse, Though i might consider Ring Galaxies eventually.

14 hours ago, daniel l. said:

The source code is available on spacedock in a pastebin link. If you copy paste it into QB64 then save it with a .bas extension in the To_Boldly_Go folder, Then run it. You will be able to hopefully run the program. I've gotten it working on linux so it should work on mac.

How did you get it to work on linux? the QB64 setup script keeps throwing weird errors at me.

Just now, Denko666 said:

nope, that's not it. somewhere it uses illegal characters or wrong paths...

Strange. I managed to install QB64 on my linux laptop. Perhaps if you log in as root and run the setup script from there.

I am curious about possible removing the ability to decide exactly how many stars of each star type. I Think it might be better to replace it with galaxy settings such as allowing the player to choose the total number of stars, And to choose the shape and age of the galaxy. Young galaxies will feature plenty of different main sequence stars, Lots of diversity, And perhaps unique star types such as Protostars, Older galaxies will gradually use fewer kinds of stars until all that is left is white dwarves, Neutron stars, And black holes. Do you guys think that would be better? I haven't started work on such changes yet so feel free to give feedback.