Stational Cunstructs

Jiraiyah

19 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Would you mind if we spelled it "Constructs" instead in CKAN? Otherwise it looks a bit like something inappropriate.

no worries, do it. it was a typo to begin with but i kept it later, rename it on ckan there is no problem

14 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Ok it's your fault this idea .

What mod provides the disk shape in the middle? the circular platform one.

Also guys and girls, i want to add my own green house to the station parts same old ZZZ model, but, want to tweak it so that USI becomes closed cycle, unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with USI Life support to know what kind of resource tweaks i need to do to make it closed cycle, can anyone help on this task?

23 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

What mod provides the disk shape in the middle? the circular platform one.

Also guys and girls, i want to add my own green house to the station parts same old ZZZ model, but, want to tweak it so that USI becomes closed cycle, unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with USI Life support to know what kind of resource tweaks i need to do to make it closed cycle, can anyone help on this task?

Planetary Domes

3 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

Closed cycle under USI-LS just needs there to be 100% conversion between Mulch and Supplies.

39 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

so i get mulch and convert the same number to supply?

Yep.  Your Kerbals will convert Supplies to Mulch, so to close the loop you need to reverse the conversion.

Note that RoverDude as one of the guidelines of USI-LS does not support fully closed cycle LS.  If you're following his guidelines, you'll need a small amount of Fertilizer with your Mulch to get the same amount of Supplies - so if you were to distribute a part that does 1:1 conversion, it will be extremely unbalanced.  (And really makes the whole thing kinda pointless...)  The way to fully off-world life-support in USI-LS is to mine Gypsum, Minerals, or Ore and convert that to Fertilizer.  Recyclers of various efficiencies are also useful - they don't convert anything, but they reduce the amounts of Supplies your Kerbals consume per unit time.  (By up to 90%, depending on the recycler.)

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

Yep.  Your Kerbals will convert Supplies to Mulch, so to close the loop you need to reverse the conversion.

Note that RoverDude as one of the guidelines of USI-LS does not support fully closed cycle LS.  If you're following his guidelines, you'll need a small amount of Fertilizer with your Mulch to get the same amount of Supplies - so if you were to distribute a part that does 1:1 conversion, it will be extremely unbalanced.  (And really makes the whole thing kinda pointless...)  The way to fully off-world life-support in USI-LS is to mine Gypsum, Minerals, or Ore and convert that to Fertilizer.  Recyclers of various efficiencies are also useful - they don't convert anything, but they reduce the amounts of Supplies your Kerbals consume per unit time.  (By up to 90%, depending on the recycler.)

You know, the problem rises when you want to play with kopernicus mods with those far far away stars and you want to send colonies of many kerbals by stations there (colonization mods and stuff like that). between the empty space transfer and any place to mine those minerals.......... how would they survive? What is was looking for, was adding a little bit of generator that would generate enough fertilizer for 2-3 kerbals per green house. THAT is where i'm stuck because i don't know how much it should generate and what the module should look like (not that familiar with module manager and stuff like this)

1 hour ago, Jiraiyah said:

You know, the problem rises when you want to play with kopernicus mods with those far far away stars and you want to send colonies of many kerbals by stations there (colonization mods and stuff like that). between the empty space transfer and any place to mine those minerals.......... how would they survive? What is was looking for, was adding a little bit of generator that would generate enough fertilizer for 2-3 kerbals per green house. THAT is where i'm stuck because i don't know how much it should generate and what the module should look like (not that familiar with module manager and stuff like this)

That's where cryo-sleep comes in.

It's implausible to have the crew be awake the entire time unless the vessel is utterly immense with (appropriately vast) an agricultural facility whose ecosystem can persist without a crew. You're looking at a generation ship. In addition, IRL, we would have to consider processing our dead to refill such things as Fertilizer because living things are full of good nutritious stuff and it would be a waste to leave it buried in an onboard cemetery or to cremate the dead and keep them in urns. (Uh oh, here come the ethical dilemmas with this idea. ;) )

A device that enables fully closed loop life support instantly defeats the purpose of a life system mod, and therefore should not be done.

If you don't want to do cryo-sleep you'll have to start looking at sci-fi propulsion-- anything that lets you sprint or skip steps between the stars.

• USI Alcubierre Drive will need to be equipped to a discreet station part (with unimaginably large warp bubble settings), and will need to be accompanied by incredibly OP rocket engines for fixing your orbit after warp... Karbonite is one such mod, part of USI, and contains Karborundum and its engines.
  • FTL Drive Continued or ESLD Jump Beacons (and appropriately immense storage for EC or Karborundum) will let you teleport to wherever you place a beacon beforehand.
  • Kopernicus Expansion enables wormholes...but nobody has released a wormhole "pack" or a visuals plugin for wormholes as yet.
  • Invent an OP resource and its ISRU for your personal use, and add tankage for it to the station parts.
Edited by JadeOfMaar

I'll agree with all @JadeOfMaar has said.  If you want to do it realistically without pushing the sci-fi envelope to warp drives or cryosleep....  Max your recyclers, and ship enough Fertilizer+Water to last you.  (Max recycling takes water, but the way recyclers work in USI-LS you don't need the max for every Kerbal - just one to set the max for the ship, and then enough capacity using lesser recyclers to get that rate for the entire crew.)  That will be less mass-intensive than shipping Supplies.  (You might look at the ratio needed for not using the max recyclers - you'll save water, but need more Fertilizer.)

This is the main problem to solve for intersteller travel.  You can help avoid by using more fuel - but that's different mass, and longer burn times.  There's a reason why most proposals for interstellar travel assume constant acceleration, with a flipover at the midway point.

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

In addition, IRL, we would have to consider processing our dead to refill such things as Fertilizer because living things are full of good nutritious stuff and it would be a waste to leave it buried in an onboard cemetery or to cremate the dead and keep them in urns. (Uh oh, here come the ethical dilemmas with this idea. ;) )

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

I'll agree with all @JadeOfMaar has said.  If you want to do it realistically without pushing the sci-fi envelope to warp drives or cryosleep....  Max your recyclers, and ship enough Fertilizer+Water to last you.  (Max recycling takes water, but the way recyclers work in USI-LS you don't need the max for every Kerbal - just one to set the max for the ship, and then enough capacity using lesser recyclers to get that rate for the entire crew.)  That will be less mass-intensive than shipping Supplies.  (You might look at the ratio needed for not using the max recyclers - you'll save water, but need more Fertilizer.)

Hmmm.. I wonder if this would help?

I heard the "algae" tastes like green Jello...
I also heard rumor that Kerbals *smell* like green Jello... Heck of a coinky-dink... :D

I wonder how long a single Kerbal's mass worth of soylent would feed a single Kerbal for? .... Hmmmmm....
100 kerbals leave Kerbin.... 50 kerbals make it to the destination... LOL

Edited by Stone Blue

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone

When i was watching kottabos and the mod review, I read the comments on the video.

I'm sorry to say this, but rotation of the rings is not a thing that i would implement myself. Why?

Think about it. you have gigantic tank that holds liquid fuel and oxidizer and mono propellant sitting right beside where 20 kerbals live ! will you spin is like a mad guy? maybe jebediah would do it but not me ! there are still two possibilities :

1- rotate the whole ship and use persistent rotation to keep the rotation going on

2- use the rotating docking ports and set a module on one of the central attack nodes using MM patch and set a parameter on the module to 0. I may add the patch in later releases but honestly, don't we already have enough fancy rotating rings?

• 10 months later...

Just a quick note for those who like this mod, the 1.8.1 was updated some time ago but it may have issue with tweak scale (fixing it now)

At the same time, with permission, I am fiddling with ASET Inline Light, a very very old mod that never updated again, right now the emissive color is ok but looks like the model itself has issues about light. To make this work, I had to take "Bulb" into my hands for update and maintenance, doing so, I found a better approach for coding the whole module and now it's released, simply search space doc for "Bulb Evolved". Using the new module, the Inline Light behaves even in the VAB when you are tweaking the emission colors.

Not sure if I should release the part as it is with the light issue or should I fiddle with the model itself later (it's a long time that my pc has no 3d modeling application installed on it :D), please give me feedback on this one.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

@JiraiyahWhile testing, I came across the following errors, with this mod and B9PartSwitch:

Warning on PartSubtype NodeAllToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part unknownPart: No attach nodes matching 'centerBottom' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeAllToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part unknownPart: No attach nodes matching 'Leg1' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeAllToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part unknownPart: No attach nodes matching 'Leg2' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeAllToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part unknownPart: No attach nodes matching 'Leg3' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeCenterToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part unknownPart: No attach nodes matching 'centerBottom' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeLegToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part unknownPart: No attach nodes matching 'Leg1' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeLegToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part unknownPart: No attach nodes matching 'Leg2' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeLegToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part unknownPart: No attach nodes matching 'Leg3' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeAllToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part JConcaveCapTriders: No attach nodes matching 'centerBottom' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeAllToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part JConcaveCapTriders: No attach nodes matching 'Leg1' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeAllToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part JConcaveCapTriders: No attach nodes matching 'Leg2' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeAllToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part JConcaveCapTriders: No attach nodes matching 'Leg3' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeCenterToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part JConcaveCapTriders: No attach nodes matching 'centerBottom' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeLegToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part JConcaveCapTriders: No attach nodes matching 'Leg1' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeLegToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part JConcaveCapTriders: No attach nodes matching 'Leg2' found
Warning on PartSubtype NodeLegToggle on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='NodeCenterToggle') on part JConcaveCapTriders: No attach nodes matching 'Leg3' found

NLvMrUC.png

Edit:  Seems to be both typos and case sensitivity issues in the JConcaveCapTriders  part

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.