Computer randomly shutting down?

bandit4910

Well, I was playing minecraft, a few seconds later my computer showed little lines of minecraft and in between each line was black, after that the computer shutdown. Any idea on what this could be? Currently I\'m on safe mode with networking running Malawarebytes the Windows help thing popped up saying the computer is recovering from an unexpected shutdown, asks if I want it to search for a solution, I say yes then the windows help & support screen shows up and says it\'s a kasperky anti-virus problem (Sorry if spelled wrong.) I don\'t have kasperky only Malawarebytes, Avira and Avast. If you need system specs here they are:

CPU: AMD sempron.

More info is available if needed.

Lines through the screen is typically an overheating or malfunctioning graphics chip. Minecraft doing this would not suprise me as it isn\'t exactly the most effecient game ever.

Are you in the UK? its been pretty hot these past few days. If its a laptop either wedge up the back of it to increase airflow, or buy a dedicated laptop cooler.

On the Kepersky bit though I have no idea. But the crash sounds much more like a hardware fault to me.

if the screen went blue it may be a bluescreen bug that crashed your pc

it is caused be the grathicks card haveing a random bug

safe to go out of safe mode :D

p.s. dont have 2 abti virus programs on a pc

tha use like 50% of your cpu to scan each other

As the previous posters have said, a sudden graphics glitch followed by a shutdown is almost always caused by your graphics chip overheating.

Also, running two A/V at the same time is very bad. Pick one and remove the other. I recommend you keep Avast. It\'s very well behaved with gaming.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

ANYTHING running in unity is doing this to me. Including Kerbal. I can run more intense program\'s without fault. But codemasters F1 online, family guy online (both unity web based browser games) and kerbal (unity built) just crash..and not even with any warning or graphical glitches. It just shuts my pc down.

ANYTHING running in unity is doing this to me. Including Kerbal. I can run more intense program\'s without fault. But codemasters F1 online, family guy online (both unity web based browser games) and kerbal (unity built) just crash..and not even with any warning or graphical glitches. It just shuts my pc down.

Let me guess, you have an AMD/ATI video card? I believe there are some known issues with Unity and the latest drivers for those cards.

Either way, your problem is with Unity and not KSP. I suggest you pop over to the Unity forums for assistance.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I use this program on my desktop.

It may not work with all manufactured PC\'s, but should work on most.

Logging isn\'t necessary unless you go fullscreen.

Just start it up, monitor your temperatures during regular use (internet (no online games), email, homework, etc...) it will be visible in the taskbar.

Then start playing a game, like minecraft once you have a good idea of what the average temp is during regular usage.

With minecraft, you can view the taskbar at the bottom and check on it every now and then.

With a fullscreen game, you can enable logging and how often it will record the temp.

I believe the readout is by default in Centigrade, just leave it like that.

Most everyone associates CPU temps in Centrigrade. Anything over 70-80C is bad, but not killer. You should do something about it at this temp.

Anything over 90C is terrible and is approaching the TJ Max Value; the point at which Intel chips (assuming you have Intel) will auto-shutdown to prevent damage. You\'re edging on melting your CPU at this point.

If it\'s not your CPU that\'s overheating and your GPU, you should still see a slight increase in CPU temperature. When one thing overheats, your whole laptop feels the heat, albeit not as greatly.

Let me guess, you have an AMD/ATI video card? I believe there are some known issues with Unity and the latest drivers for those cards.

Either way, your problem is with Unity and not KSP. I suggest you pop over to the Unity forums for assistance.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

To be honest I\'m not quite sure. I run an acer aspire all in one touch screen and the graphics card is intergrated into the motherboard so isn\'t upgradable, nor is it a standard bit of kit that can be plugged into any other pc. Spend 99% of my time on my iPad so will check it out in the morning (23:06 here and I\'m up at 6:00am tomorrow for work so..) Any known fixes? Will be removing the back cover and cleaning my pc this week so that may help if it\'s an overheating problem. May also look into an unrated fan as the screen, speakers and drives all so tightly packaged next to the chipsets acts as a huge heat soak which the fan struggles to shift.

Integrated video is known to be underpowered for gaming, especially if your using a mobile device such as a laptop or tablet. They are designed for lower power consumption and won\'t have the beef needed to really push the edge.

Also, I was referring to the drivers more than your actual GPU.

Perhaps if you posted a new topic in the support forum with the information requested in this sticky we might be able to better help you. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=11693.0

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.