What makes you feel old?

crasher925

1 hour ago, Fluburtur said:

When I see 9 years old with expensive phone im all like "in my days we played in mud and enjoyed it!"

I didn't get a phone until 4 months ago, I'm a freshman in high school. When I was 9 I played Minecraft with my friends and played with Legos.

Now I see 2nd graders with iPhones and everything.

3 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Remember when pirated music came on tapes you borrowed from a friend at school who recorded it off the radio?

And Hi-Fis came with dual tape decks so you could record one tape onto another?

Heh I member.

Could never quite get mine to copy Spectrum games for me however.  Fortunately most any magazine you bought came with a handful of them on a cover-tape - and not shovelware either, often some really decent stuff.  That's where my first copy of Elite came from.

017f7ecad87590f9c07673787c339bfa.jpg

Edited by pxi

Spectrum programs were copied by special program "COPY COPY" on mono-cassette boombox

(Would be an age capture btw)

P.S.
And there were assemblers/disassemblers MON4, GEN4 and ZEUS (an older one). This was just yesterday - twenty years ago.

Edited by kerbiloid

Talking about anything technology with kids / teens / people younger than me, that makes me feel old.

I hear what they say and remember my self saying the same stuff to my mom. :D Whaaaa? Your radio used a big battery that you had to take to town to recharge? My Sanyo double decker here doesn't need that! And it's Dolby and has both AM and FM, unlike your mono, AM-only dinosaur.

... she kept saying "you laugh, it's gonna happen to you some day"... and then it did.

My niece asked for my phone (a Nokia 110) the other day... to show her little brother that my phone had buttons and nothing happened if you touched the screen.  He couldn't believe it!

Also, explaining why Jurasic Park was all the rage back then because of the live-like CGI dinosaurs, and all youngsters look like "what are you talking about? How's CGI anything to be excited about?"

TVs... to watch them, first you had to get up out of your chair and go turn them on. Then, you had to wait for it to warm up, all those tubes inside. When it finally came to life, your screen was B&W. Then, you had to turn a dial to check out the various channels to see what was on. Often, selecting a channel, you then had to adjust your rabbit-ear antenna, so the station would come in clearly... and even at that, there was still always snow in the image.

I grew up just outside of NYC, so we were lucky, we had (VHF) channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 (PBS), plus a few others (UHF) like 21 (WLIW). The main antenna was atop the Empire State Building... you know, the one King Kong climbed in the original movie.

TV began each day around 4am (if I recall correctly), opening from a test pattern to the music of the Star Spangled Banner with an American flag waving on the screen. This was immediately followed by the morning farm report. Yes, a farm report. As a kid, I was fascinated by it, and always woke early to catch the farm report. This was followed by the majority of stations showing the local and world news, and the rest showing kids cartoons.

6 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

(VHF)

O_O

Just reading this acronym makes me feel old. We've come a long way!

16 minutes ago, Rosco P. Coltrane said:

Also, explaining why Jurasic Park was all the rage back then because of the live-like CGI dinosaurs, and all youngsters look like "what are you talking about? How's CGI anything to be excited about?"

Well, it still looks better than a lot of CGI out there being made today!

58 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Spectrum programs were copied by special program "COPY COPY" on mono-cassette boombox

(Would be an age capture btw)

P.S.
And there were assemblers/disassemblers MON4, GEN4 and ZEUS (an older one). This was just yesterday - twenty years ago.

This is news to me, interesting.

On a slight tangent, I eventually was given an expander card / floppy drive arrangement which allowed me to copy the contents of memory to these tiny 2" floppy disks - in theory great for copying games, but due to only having about 5 of the disks I actually more practically used it for savestates, it was the only way I could finish games like Dizzy and Jet Set Willy.  I'm 99% sure the expansion module itself was some version of the Multiface, but I've never been able to figure out where the floppy drive came from.  It's probably the only piece of hardware I actually genuinely feel bad about losing somewhere along the line, I've never seen anything like it since.  A genuine bit of Spectrum hacking history that deserved to be in a collection somewhere.  Sadly it's more likely in the middle of a landfill.

5 hours ago, TheSaint said:

This thread is hilarious.

(-: si ti ,seY

I have an ACL repair,

You have an Access Control List ? :-)

Hey guyvv, letf fow off our profeevef ! (puts in teeth) I once crashed with a paraglider ...

@crasher925, do you still feel old ? Would you, if you met one of us in the subway, get up and offer your seat ? Just you dare !

O.o .... i'm not making friends here :-)))))))))

Edited by Green Baron
Plural of prosthesis is prostheses ...

Things that make me feel old (I'm a 45yo truck driver):

I'm growing outward rather than upward.
Hair is now growing from unexpected places.
I injure myself when I sleep.
The driving skills of average road users makes me sick.
Modern music makes me sick.
Modern fashion makes me sick.
Youthful exuberance makes me sick.

Enjoy your youth while you have the chance, whippersnappers.

At least I've got KSP, these forums and alcohol.

1 hour ago, Green Baron said:

You have an Access Control List ? :-)

LOL No, that would be an anterior cruciate ligament. Short version: I screwed up my knee bad enough it needed surgery.

1 hour ago, Green Baron said:

O.o .... i'm not making friends here :-)))))))))

Nonsense, I'm sure you make friends wherever you go. :)

46 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

Things that make me feel old (I'm a 45yo truck driver):

I'm growing outward rather than upward.
Hair is now growing from unexpected places.
I injure myself when I sleep.
The driving skills of average road users makes me sick.
Modern music makes me sick.
Modern fashion makes me sick.
Youthful exuberance makes me sick.

Enjoy your youth while you have the chance, whippersnappers.

At least I've got KSP, these forums and alcohol.

My wife and I have been watching The Crown on Netflix (along with the entire rest of America, apparently). I've been laughing about John Lithgow's cantankerous portrayal of Churchill. I told my wife, "Pay attention, honey, this is your husband in thirty years." She said, "What thirty years? This is my husband on a Saturday afternoon changing the oil in his truck."

I remember playing video games...with no DLC nor play to win and had splitscreen. *sheds tear

EDIT: I am still young as I'm *censored by glorious Rimiya* years old, yet I don't catch on to modern trends: I don't like modern music, I don't text during class, I don't follow the latest freshest memes, and I don't use the word 'like' every 2 seconds (seriously people, control your likes!!).

Edited by CelticCossack51

7 hours ago, TheSaint said:

No, that would be an anterior cruciate ligament. Short version: I screwed up my knee bad enough it needed surgery.

Mine got severed and retracted too far... waited too long. You learn to live with it.

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

You know what is disconcerting? When actresses you think of as the hot young love interest start showing up as the hot young love interest's mom. 

Or, you notice they're all starting to die off as the years roll by... same with musicians.

24 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Mine got severed and retracted too far... waited too long. You learn to live with it.

Mine was completely severed for about three years. Miserable. Knee was always dislocating. I would be walking down the street and the toe of my boot would just clip a bump in the sidewalk and <blip-bloop> my knee would pop out of joint and then right back in. Running was completely out of the question, I didn't even break into a jog for three years. My wife finally convinced me to go get it fixed the year after we got married. They don't sew the ligament back together. They drill through the bones in your leg and thread a new piece of ligament through the holes (in my case they used a piece of my hamstring) then secure it with screws. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Like I said, I'm running five miles three nights a week now, I'm way more active, I've lost a ton of weight. Can't recommend it enough.

Honestly, it hit me hard when Jamie Moyer retired from baseball, leaving me older than every player in the Major Leagues, NFL, NBA, probably every major athletic sports team in the world.

My dreams of becoming a pro athlete are officially over.  (maybe I will give the Senior PGA Tour a shot)

Another thing that make me feel old is Musical.ly. 

There are litterly 6 year olds doing this thing! I was doing very different things at that age! Jeez.

I remember playing Super Mario Sunshine too, is that old now?

6 hours ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Nothing. I'm not old at all. xD

But if we mean old by Nostalgic, well, I'd have to say playing Super Mario 64 on my DS with my cousin in my grans back garden. Eating biscuits. :P

I first played Super Mario 64 at a store called Hill's on a N64 display*. This makes me feel old.

* I can't tell you how awesome it was to have both an analogue controller and complete freedom of movement in a game, what a massive leap that was.

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

10 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I first played Super Mario 64 at a store called Hill's on a N64 display*. This makes me feel old.

* I can't tell you how awesome it was to have both an analogue controller and complete freedom of movement in a game, what a massive leap that was.

N64? Yeah, you're older than me then. The first console I had was a Wii. xD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.