BDAc Challenges: GDJ's Top Gun Extreme Tournament

GDJ

7 minutes ago, GDJ said:

You're not late. The contest doesn't start until Dec 1st, but I'm collecting the craft now just to keep up.

I think there was a misunderstanding as I even thought that submissions were ending at 9pm MST from the way it was worded

In my case it's all good as the Platypus will live free or die in a stream of gunfire 

I also removed the flag from my craft to make it a bit easier on you when setting up the battles ... there was a mod called flag switch or something like that for 1.0.5 but I'm unsure of its status (or its name apparently :rolleyes:)

Count me as another who thought submissions were closing early so I sort of scrambled to get something submitted. No worries, though. It should be able to hold it's own against non-cheesy designs; I am quietly confident of my plane's ability to fight die gloriously, and in the end, isn't that all that matters?

Okay, given that I was not clear on my intentions, I was just collecting the craft files early just to be more organized on my end. I was not starting things early.

The tournament is starting on December 1st as stated in the OP, but considering I kinda messed up a few of you, I will allow resubmissions of all craft that have been submitted already if you feel that they need tweaking and / or improving.

So far all craft that have been submitted have passed all examinations and all but one passed the take-off test (it did the wing-slap-shimmy on the ground). I will PM the person with the offending craft.

I must say that everybody has some very unique ideas on top gun fighters, and most performed admirably.

The official deadline for ALL craft is November 29, 2016. After that, there will be no revisions to any craft.

13 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Thats the maddest looking aircraft I've seen for some time, love it :)

Oh yeah! Love it! :)

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

That'll be me then as it's just done it to me , requires revisions i think

Nope. You passed. Actually your plane performed very well.

It was another participant's plane that had issues. 

Edited by GDJ

Just now, DoctorDavinci said:

So I can still tweak her eh?

I will be resubmitting then as there is another version which is deadlier than the original

I guess everyobe can use the current version of the Platypus to test against :cool:

That's the spirit! :)

55 minutes ago, GDJ said:

That's the spirit! :)

Indeed it is, and as such i can confirm that I'm much better at devising incredibly efficient ways to shoot planes down than i am at building planes ,  so much so that my entry should be renamed as cannon fodder,  I've just run all of the uploaded entries against it, to challenge regs and it's well outclassed, not suprised though as this is my first foray into such endeavors .    I'll let it stand as it is though.    if the entry list is oversubscribed feel free to pull it in favor of more capable craft  

Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Indeed it is, and as such i can confirm that I'm much better at devising incredibly efficient ways to shoot planes down than i am at building planes ,  so much so that my entry should be renamed as cannon fodder,  I've just run all of the uploaded entries against it, to challenge regs and it's well outclassed, not suprised though as this is my first foray into such endeavors .    I'll let it stand as it is though.    if the entry list is oversubscribed feel free to pull it in favor of more capable craft  

yes, i can confirm, especially the platybloty with this four gattlings ... puh

but im working :science:

even with an corrupt ksp installation ( crashes at 2 of 9 explosions [not that good for aircombat])

Think I've almost got the base aircraft done for my entry, just need to tweak it a bit to make sure all the rules are met (for example, to add a radar unit I may need to clip the inline inside the fuselage to some extent as otherwise it'd not really fit that well).

GqLMpOB.png
lxSBHlZ.png

Calling it the "Tantō" for now, as it's blade-like in appearance and is small and fast. The design uses a single stock panther engine for thrust and uses a pair of Vulcans and quad .50 cal MGs (the M2 ones, not the turrets) to put large torrents of lead downrange quite quickly.

Also, the black sections on the leading edge of the wings is a set of leading-edge control surfaces, slightly pushed in for aesthetics (though still visible, especially when maneuvering).

EDIT: Debating how much I want to keep the Brownings on there, as they don't overheat as fast as the Vulcans, but the Vulcans have on-par or better burst DPS and fire rate, plus if I remove the quad .50s I can add more 20mm ammo. Hmm... time for some tests.

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

On 24/11/2016 at 9:59 PM, GDJ said:

Okay, given that I was not clear on my intentions, I was just collecting the craft files early just to be more organized on my end. I was not starting things early.

The tournament is starting on December 1st as stated in the OP, but considering I kinda messed up a few of you, I will allow resubmissions of all craft that have been submitted already if you feel that they need tweaking and / or improving.

Yeah, just-woken-up-pre-coffee-had-to-be-at-an-exam-in-an-hour me was more focused on submitting what I had worked on so far rather than reading through the OP beyond making sure I was following the rules so my apologies as well.

So I went back and got carried away testing and "tweaking" for five hours and I finally have something I'm much more happy with: https://kerbalx.com/Wraith977/WF-6

IIkXB6t.jpg

Despite the armament weighing more than 4x as much as the WF-4's it weighs almost 1.5 tons less overall. It's also much more manoeuvrable and the incredibly slow roll rate has also been fixed.

Edited by Wraith977
Math...

2 minutes ago, tsoj said:

two cockpits and decouplers arent allowed or am i wrong?

@GDJ How will you initiate the planes, just one spaebarhit? or just activating the enignes?

The combat is started and controlled from the BDA setting menu, all that is required is that brakes are on, throttle at zero and engine running and the craft are either marked team A or B as appropriate..  Once started it's in the hands of the gods :)

1 hour ago, tsoj said:

two cockpits and decouplers arent allowed or am i wrong?

Hmm....never thought of that one. 
Why the 2nd cockpit and decouplers? Just curious.

57 minutes ago, Wraith977 said:

I presume it allows for two aircraft separated by a decoupler, effectively launching two aircraft as one

This will cause issues with the AI as having 2 AI pilots on one craft can cause havoc with the code ... The battles will be run using competition mode which requires the AI to take off from the ground so having the second AI onboard may cause a wing slap shimmy to take place

I also should mention that there is an obscure bug that occurs when using the Spawn Vessel function in Vessel Mover ... Craft that have been spawned which have decouplers or structural pylons set to decouple in the landing gear action group tend to decouple not when the gear is raised by the AI Pilot, but when the craft reaches take off speed as set in the AI

It's a cool concept to have a plane that can split up and effectively double the fighting capabilities, but due to technical reasons I'll have to say NO (regrettably) to this idea.

I present my entry into this challenge!

Introducing the Shrike Mk. Ib - A multirole fighter based off my earlier Mosquito variants, but with less parts and only 1 30mm cannon instead of 2.

https://kerbalx.com/Bob_Saget54/SAI-Shrike-Mk-Ib

ROOjsf4.png

This craft is easily capable of handling up to >30 G forces without ripping the wings, and while it may seem a bit slow, don't let that fool you into thinking it's an easy opponent

Edited by Bob_Saget54