BDAc Challenges: GDJ's Top Gun Extreme Tournament

GDJ

16 minutes ago, Pine said:

I am currently running some battle tests with my upgraded prototype, now armed with x5 Fixed 105mm Howitzers, firing at a constant 91 RPM...

CyS-sUPWQAERGD2.jpg

EDIT: A basic test resulted in one plane shooting down the other less than 20 seconds in from when I activated their guard modules, in one shot.

You could try the following for a better test ....

Go to the KSPedia in game and select BDAc Settings and read about competition mode ... Then load crafts for each team using the spawn vessel function in Vessel Mover, activate all their engines with throttles set to 0, open the BDAc Settings window, set your physics load distance to 8000 and click on start competition

Hi guys if there's no objection I'd like to swap out the already entered craft, mainly due to discovering that the intake i used  has the heat tolerance of a snickers bar and an almost guaranteed first pass fail.

Spoiler

https://kerbalx.com/SpannerMonkey/SpanAir-MK2RB

pretty much the same as MK2R except for revised intake, stock airbrakes instead of SXT and an extra pair of shredders :)

MjIAruk.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

On 11/24/2016 at 11:59 AM, GDJ said:

The tournament is starting on December 1st as stated in the OP, but considering I kinda messed up a few of you, I will allow resubmissions of all craft that have been submitted already if you feel that they need tweaking and / or improving.

I'll cashing in my free resubmit to resubmit the Stratovore (it's basically identical to the original, only changes were moving the the rear landing gear back slightly to fix a tail drag issue when spawned/placed via VesselMover, and a minor tweak to a control surface).

That's cool Suicidal.

I'm going back to my roots on my plane. The Avro Tank Buster is one heck of a prop plane, but it's too big and too heavy despite it's performance.

Just a reminder for everybody, the 29th is the last day for submissions and / or resubmissions. After that, the planes stay as they are.

Well, considering how we are getting another chance to revise our planes, I'll take this opportunity to introduce the Shrike Mk. III

https://kerbalx.com/crafts/21243/edit

bqfnP0H.png

This craft fixes some of the teething problems with the Mk. II, mainly the poor acceleration, TWR, and poor armament of the original craft

Edited by Bob_Saget54

Just now, Bob_Saget54 said:

Well, considering how we are getting another chance to revise our planes, I'll take this opportunity to introduce the Shrike Mk. III

https://kerbalx.com/crafts/21243/edit

bqfnP0H.png

This craft fixes some of the teething problems with the Mk. II, mainly the poor acceleration, TWR, and poor armament of the original craft

Guns in intakes ...

in reallife -> jet%20crash_JPG_475x310_q85.jpg

Anyways nice shape

Edited by tsoj

3 hours ago, drtricky said:

Kinda off topic, but could intake-mounted guns have their bullets sucked back in in real life?

I would say no for the most part, since the bullets are travelling much faster than the plane, but the real danger lies in the gun fumes that are sucked back in and starve the engine of oxygen.

The Russians first figured this out with their Mig-9. 37mm cannon between the intakes? Might have been a good idea if the engines didn't cut out every time it fired... :D

Edited by Bob_Saget54

18 minutes ago, drtricky said:

Kinda off topic, but could intake-mounted guns have their bullets sucked back in in real life?

Technically, yes. But highly unlikely. The speed of the bullet leaving the barrel is already starting off at the same speed as the jet thanks to inertia. Then the shell fires, propelling it even faster so plane+x. I imagine there are some scenarios where it happens. Having worked on a carrier though I can tell you everyone greatly prefers loose metal bits stay way far away from jet intakes

Bob's reply while I was writing this brings up an interesting problem that I hadn't thought of. Obviously the engineers didn't either. lol That's pretty kerbal of them.

22 minutes ago, drtricky said:

The bullets wouldn't be pulled in or even slowed down by any measurable amount. The problems come rather with fumes (as stated above) and more importantly (although more easily fixed) the shells being ejected from the guns. Fumes may cut the engines but having shells being lodged in turbines could cause a much more spectacular event.

I keep hearing you guys complaining about your fighters escalating fights to great altitudes, but all of my fighters, with a default altitude of 500m, never exceed 1500 m in a dogfight. So is that something on my end, or something else entirely?

Sometimes it's speed / G related. If the plane goes too fast and wants to turn it won't due to the sudden increase in G's.

Setting the top speed below 500 m/s helps quite a bit.

Edited by GDJ

4 hours ago, drtricky said:

I keep hearing you guys complaining about your fighters escalating fights to great altitudes, but all of my fighters, with a default altitude of 500m, never exceed 1500 m in a dogfight. So is that something on my end, or something else entirely?

I may have misunderstood but doesn't that break this rule "-There will be a hard minimum of 750 metres ASL AI configurations."

I suspect that his fighter also wouldn't do it at 750 either. 500 is just the default value. Even with 750 though my fighters will still dive til the last minute in a chase. I don't think it would change anything in regards to this AI quirk of not turning and just gaining altitude. It would be nice to have an easily set max altitude though to overide that. They just climb until they lose enough thrust to get shot by whoever is on their tail. annoying because it's dumb.