BDAc Challenges: GDJ's Top Gun Extreme Tournament

GDJ

Sorry for being absent for the last few days. Real life is kicking my butt like no tomorrow.

-I have to rewire and repair the PC board for the Furnace. It has cracked conductor tracks on the board and needs some special surgery.
-Some of the wires have fatigued and have to be replaced due to cracking conductors.

I have no intention of letting this challenge slide, but please understand that this is Winter time in The Great White North, and furnaces kinda over-rule gaming.

UPDATED! Spannermonkey vs SuicidalInsanity!

Edited by GDJ
Was thinking about the band, not the person. Sorry about that.

2 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

But seriously, think you mispelled a name ... SuicidalInsanity :wink:

I fix. My bad.

EDIT: Fixed. Sorry about that. Must have been the Record I was listening to. 

Edited by GDJ

I admit the GAU-8 has a fantastic range to it, but I still have a love for the .50 cal brownings. 6 of those in salvo mode does alot of damage in a hurry.
Unfortunately their range is a bit limiting.

Yeah, all the normal ballistic weapons that make sense as craft armament - browning .50, the twinlink .50 turret, both flavors of Vulcan, M230  - all have a max weapon range of 2500m. The GAU-8, on the other hand, has a max range of 4000m, which translates into GAU craft being able to engage non-GAU craft for 2-3 seconds before they can expect return fire. The change of a kill at that range is slim, though if this proves to be an issue by the end of the tourney, simplest solution is probably just have a rule in later BDA competitions that guard mode has to be 2500m or less.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

1 minute ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Yeah, all the normal ballistic weapons that make sense as craft armament - browning .50, the twinlink .50 turret, both flavors of Vulcan, M230  - all have a max weapon range of 2500m. The GAU-8, on the other hand, has a max range of 4000m, which translates into GAU craft being able to engage non-GAU craft for 5+ seconds before they can expect return fire. The change of a kill at that range is slim, though if this proves to be an issue by the end of the tourney, simplest solution is probably just have a rule in later BDA competitions that guard mode has to be 2500m or less.

That may be what we have to do in the future, but for now and this challenge the settings stay as is.

Besides, toe-ing in the .50 cal's to intersect at a specific distance is very effective (say 1700m).

10 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Yeah, all the normal ballistic weapons that make sense as craft armament - browning .50, the twinlink .50 turret, both flavors of Vulcan, M230  - all have a max weapon range of 2500m. The GAU-8, on the other hand, has a max range of 4000m, which translates into GAU craft being able to engage non-GAU craft for 2-3 seconds before they can expect return fire. The change of a kill at that range is slim, though if this proves to be an issue by the end of the tourney, simplest solution is probably just have a rule in later BDA competitions that guard mode has to be 2500m or less

The issue is more the ability to lay down supressive fire that screws with the enemy AI.

UPDATED!

This marks the end of the first batch of battles.

The standings are:

GDJ:2 Pine:0
SuicidalInsanity:2 Spannermonkey:0
Notsodeadjeb: 0 Drtricky: 2
Doctor Davinci: 1 Bob_Saget54:2
RuinzV2: 0 Tsoj: 2
Jrodrigues: 2 Wraith977: 0

So GDJ, SuicidalInsanity, Drtricky, Bob_Saget54, Tsoj, and jrodrigues advance. Next batch coming soon:

To the ones that were eliminated: Thank you for participating.

3 hours ago, Bob_Saget54 said:

Also, @GDJ, can I submit an updated craft that doesn't destroy itself on takeoff?

I would strongly suggest you repair your plane first. Apart from the take-off issue it performs very very well. I would hate to see that go.

Try playing with the landing gear positions and spring/shock absorber strengths. I get the feeling that the rudder may be slapping the ground and confusing the heck out of  the AI, but it's just a guess.

I never tested against tsoj until after I submitted. Somehow I had completely missed his entry. After I saw the pairing and tested it out I found out just how badly I would get stomped. I was hoping for a lucky break, but that was expected lol 

7 hours ago, GDJ said:

I would strongly suggest you repair your plane first. Apart from the take-off issue it performs very very well. I would hate to see that go.

That's exactly what I meant. I'll play around with it tonight and submit it again before the next round starts

17 hours ago, ruinzv2 said:

I never tested against tsoj until after I submitted. Somehow I had completely missed his entry. After I saw the pairing and tested it out I found out just how badly I would get stomped. I was hoping for a lucky break, but that was expected lol 

Don't feel bad. I have experience in losing about 75 times in these competitions.

Updated on post #2

Current standings for Bracket two:

GDJ 0  SuicidalInsanity 2

Tsoj 2  jrodriguez 0

I got my clock cleaned. Congrats to the current winners!

Okay, this afternoon I'm taking off for Christmas activities out of town. I'll be back on the 27th. Hopefully I can complete Bracket two at that time.

Have a good Christmas (or whatever you call your holiday that comes around this time of year)!

-Geoff

8 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Okay, this afternoon I'm taking off for Christmas activities out of town. I'll be back on the 27th. Hopefully I can complete Bracket two at that time.

Have a good Christmas (or whatever you call your holiday that comes around this time of year)!

-Geoff

I celebrate Newtonas which is the celebration of Sir Isaac Newtons' birth that occured on January 4th, 1693

:wink:

Great battles by the way ...

Edited by DoctorDavinci

On 2016-12-29 at 0:34 PM, Triop said:

I sooo missed this...:blink:

Will there be a new challenge after this ?

Maybe. Not sure if I'll be hosting or not. Between work and school I've been busy. I'm finishing up this challenge today.