[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

6 hours ago, eddiew said:

Which is probably realistic...

Everything in the versions we released are proportionally correct.  The stock-sized version is a 1/10th scale model of a realistic life-sized solar system.  When you use rescale and resize factors that are different from each other, that is going to mess with those proportions.  The realistic proportions are preserved only when rescale = resized.

6 hours ago, eddiew said:

(I assume Gratian isn't an oxygen atmosphere... haven't poked around the configs, and there's nothing obvious in-game to tell me.)

Correct about Gratian.  Only Gael and Tellumo have abundant oxygen in their atmospheres.

Something ive been meaning to ask. Is there a way to disable terrain scatter collision? I LOVE it for short duration rover missions, but eventually i work my way to LONG duration missions/circumnavigations which require me to set an autopilot and walk away from the computer sometime.

@eddiew I'll have that skybox ready very soon. I had brought some confusion on myself with how I set it up in Photoshop causing it to be held back. Only Gael and Tellumo have oxygen, meanwhile the in game planet info tabs will tell you if it has oxygen, right under if it has atmosphere. Make sure to scroll down in that tab.

5 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Something ive been meaning to ask. Is there a way to disable terrain scatter collision? I LOVE it for short duration rover missions, but eventually i work my way to LONG duration missions/circumnavigations which require me to set an autopilot and walk away from the computer sometime.

Have you considered the Bon Voyage mod? Drives rovers while they're not the active vessel, you can switch back to them at any time and they'll be "somewhere sensible" along that route. But you can timewarp, and because of that, you won't have issues of hitting a rock after half an hour afk :) 

5 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

I will write you up a mm cfg, disabling them tonight

Edited by Galileo

8 hours ago, eddiew said:

Have you considered the Bon Voyage mod? Drives rovers while they're not the active vessel, you can switch back to them at any time and they'll be "somewhere sensible" along that route. But you can timewarp, and because of that, you won't have issues of hitting a rock after half an hour afk :) 

Well when i saw "walk away" i really mean watch a movie or something and flick back and forth to enjoy the scenery of the trip and check out anything that catches my eye.       

7 hours ago, Galileo said:

I will write you up a mm cfg, disabling them tonight

Wow, thanks so much.

Well I finally decided to get my head out of a hole and come back to the so called legend named the 'forums.kerbalspaceprogram.com'. Been like ages since I was last active on here, and I wanna play KSP again and downloading the latest version of this planet pack asap. Sad to see that SSRSS is gone atm. :( But, saw some eye candy on the last 4 pages, and gee, these planets r lookin' lit I say! Well, talk soon hopefully if I lose my thing for KSP again lmao.

22 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Everything in the versions we released are proportionally correct.  The stock-sized version is a 1/10th scale model of a realistic life-sized solar system.  When you use rescale and resize factors that are different from each other, that is going to mess with those proportions.  The realistic proportions are preserved only when rescale = resized.

Really? Mun seems awful close to Kerbin relative to their sizes... could be an optical illusion, but I thought it was a really big space between Earth and Moon.

That said, I've sort of backstepped again, and changed my config to use 3.2x planetary orbits and sun size, but leaving all moon orbits at 1x. Moon-moon transfer isn't really a big deal anyway, and this restores the visuals to exactly what you get normally - unless you really like spotting those tiny planets with DOE :) 

Spoiler

// Custom config for a weird setup of Galileo's Planet Pack
//
// Planet orbital radii, and the size of the sun are at 3.2x scaled
// All moon orbits, all moon and planet radii are 1
//
// This results in 2-3x interplanetary transfer delta-v, while preserving 'fun' sized landers,
// spaceplanes, and moon-moon transfers. It is intended to encourage motherships and mining
// operations.

@SigmaDimensions
{
	// Base Settings
	@Resize = 1 
	@Rescale = 1
	@Atmosphere = 1
	@dayLengthMultiplier = 1

// Advanced Settings
	@landscape = 1 // standard terrain
	@geeASLmultiplier = 1

@resizeScatter = 1
	@resizeBuildings = 1

@CustomSoISize = 0 // nothing in GPP uses SphereOfInfluence it seems
	@CustomRingSize = 1 // otherwise it'll follow orbital size, which we don't want

@atmoASL = 1
	@tempASL = 1
	@atmoTopLayer = 1
	@atmoVisualEffect = 1

@scanAltitude = 1
}

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Sun]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Resize = 3.2 // sun scaled to match regular 3.2x config, otherwise very slow orbits will result. Gael year = 720 days approx.
		}
	}
}

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Icarus]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale = 3.2
		}
	}
}

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Thalia]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale = 3.2
		}
	}
}

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Niven]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale = 3.2
		}
	}
}

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Kerbin]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale = 3.2
		}
	}
}

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Tellumo]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale = 3.2
		}
	}
}

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Gratian]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale = 3.2
		}
	}
}

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Otho]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale = 3.2
		}
	}
}

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Gauss]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale = 3.2
		}
	}
}

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Nero]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale = 3.2
		}
	}
}

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Hox]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale = 3.2
		}
	}
}

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Leto]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale = 3.2
		}
	}
}

// all @dayLengthMultipliers removed

(I did however have a slight accident at one point and forget to scale Gael's orbit, resulting in it being close to icarus... Tis a hot summer's afternoon at KSC!)

o8LEvUX.jpg

Edited by eddiew

11 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Really? Mun seems awful close to Kerbin relative to their sizes... could be an optical illusion, but I thought it was a really big space between Earth and Moon.

Well if you consider that the gap is indeed immense between Earth and Moon in RSS it's quite safe to say that the distance between Kerbin and Mun is another of the many unreal features of the game like Kerbol having only about 1.7 surface gravity and Eve being so dang purple.

I didn't think of that with Gael-Iota. :huh: Fascinating.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

34 minutes ago, eddiew said:

I wasn't talking about Kerbin-Mun, I was talking about GPP.  In the stock game, Mun is too close to Kerbin.  If two bodies that size were that close to each other in real life, both bodies would be tidally locked to the other.  The fact that Kerbin is not tidally locked makes it an unrealistic system.  There are other things in the stock system that are also unrealistic.  I tried to avoid as many of those things as possible in GPP, though there are still a few unrealistic things that got into GPP for visual effect or storytelling purposes (like Nero's rapid precession).  For the most part, the distance between planets and their moons in GPP were computed by taking into account tidal forces, conservation of angular momentum, and about 4.5 billion years.

Edited by OhioBob

Hey :)

I'm having a little trouble developing my latest planet for my planet pack. This image sums up my issues:

8qwM2vE.png

The top image:

My planet looks nice and round without much issue. But, there's a serious problem when looking at the image below it. That's what I would like my planet to look like - very deformed with very high mountains. I'm using these textures as my colour, normal and height:

mYqHtHp.jpg

S1Spdhi.jpg

0brE6Rl.jpg

The textures, to me, all check out. So here's the code for the scaledVersion which I am using:

ScaledVersion
		{
			Type = Vacuum
			Material
			{
				texture = Olei/PluginData/Dread_color.png
				normals = Olei/PluginData/Dread_normal.png
				shininess = 0.0
				specular = 0.0,0.0,0.0,1
				rimPower = 2
				rimBlend = 0.3
				Gradient
				{
					0.0 = 0.9,0.9,0.9,1.0
					0.5 = 0.6,0.6,0.6,1.0
					0.9 = 0.3,0.3,0.3
					1.0 = 0.05,0.05,0.05,1.0
				}
			}
		}

My problem is that the view from orbit does not depict any of the mountains from the surface, which I would really like to stand out

The bottom image is a major problem with all the planets - the normal map is overlayed onto the heightmap when I approach the planet. They kinda blend and it's horrifically ugly. Other planet packs manage to eliminate this issue - is it possible for me to be able to do the same? If so, any information on the issues would be awesome.

Sidenote: How do I polar distort my textures so that they wrap around the planet without distortion (as you can see in my textures, they don't have the stretching at the poles).

Thanks!

Edited by Gamel0rd1

12 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I didn't think of that with Gael-Iota. :huh: Fascinating.

FWIW, you can't get Ceti much further than 1.6x its orbital radius before it gets outside of Gael's SoI, so the moons are about as far out as they can be without making use of Kopernicus' custom SoI parameters :) 

39 minutes ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Hey :)

I'm having a little trouble developing my latest planet for my planet pack. This image sums up my issues:

8qwM2vE.png

The top image:

My planet looks nice and round without much issue. But, there's a serious problem when looking at the image below it. That's what I would like my planet to look like - very deformed with very high mountains. I'm using these textures as my colour, normal and height:

Reveal hidden contents

mYqHtHp.jpg

S1Spdhi.jpg

0brE6Rl.jpg

The textures, to me, all check out. So here's the code for the scaledVersion which I am using:

ScaledVersion
		{
			Type = Vacuum
			Material
			{
				texture = Olei/PluginData/Dread_color.png
				normals = Olei/PluginData/Dread_normal.png
				shininess = 0.0
				specular = 0.0,0.0,0.0,1
				rimPower = 2
				rimBlend = 0.3
				Gradient
				{
					0.0 = 0.9,0.9,0.9,1.0
					0.5 = 0.6,0.6,0.6,1.0
					0.9 = 0.3,0.3,0.3
					1.0 = 0.05,0.05,0.05,1.0
				}
			}
		}

My problem is that the view from orbit does not depict any of the mountains from the surface, which I would really like to stand out

The bottom image is a major problem with all the planets - the normal map is overlayed onto the heightmap when I approach the planet. They kinda blend and it's horrifically ugly. Other planet packs manage to eliminate this issue - is it possible for me to be able to do the same? If so, any information on the issues would be awesome.

Sidenote: How do I polar distort my textures so that they wrap around the planet without distortion (as you can see in my textures, they don't have the stretching at the poles).

Thanks!

I will take a look at it this evening. Just send me your cfg for it

Edited by Galileo

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Duski I've been pondering where you went to and if all was still well. Good to know you're still alright.

So you're going to be so into playing KSP that you can't talk? :huh: I getcha

Nah, booting up KSP right now, gonna see what I can still do. lmao