[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

Eclipses are most definitely working. :D

zgkAMP7.png

This. Was. Some. Creepy. Scat. Right. Here!:o

k8oXLTD.png

Also, on the bug report side, I'm getting this glitch with the level 2 runway at 6.4 scale...

ytAIlxl.png

Those breaks in the model do exactly what you think they do when you try to go over them. Makes the runway about useless.

On 2/20/2017 at 6:10 PM, Galileo said:

You should wander over to my sun flare pack and get yourself a replacement :wink:

Wait, your sunflare pack isn't the one included with GPP? Only reason I didn't look at it is I thought I already had it. Now to go check it out. :)

1 hour ago, Fobok said:

Wait, your sunflare pack isn't the one included with GPP? Only reason I didn't look at it is I thought I already had it. Now to go check it out. :)

Hope you like it :) there is something like 25 different sunflares to choose from :)

Edited by Galileo

Don't really have a better thread to mention this in, so @JadeOfMaar, @Luovahulluus, and anyone else who's been using JoM's Foreign Eagle skybox - I've given it a little love in Photoshop, and had a go at taking out the 'seams' that were in the original image (not sure if telescope effects or compositing artefacts). There's still some minor annoyances that will need a better image fiddler than I to fix, but on the whole I think you'd have to intentionally look for them to notice them :)

Available in two flavours:

Original Serieshttps://www.dropbox.com/s/llt8p5cw9zbe0t3/JoM-ForeignEagle-smoothed.zip?dl=0 (de-seamed, no additions)

JJ Abramshttps://www.dropbox.com/s/tp3gae0t4xyop4d/JoM-ForeignEagle-smoothed-extrastars.zip?dl=0 (brightened prominent stars and added a variety of lens flares)

NiVJ9nv.png

...you'll probably want one of @Galileo's fancy sunflares if you use the JJ Abrams edition, because otherwise the sun will end up just one of many :)  And obviously, the star-flares are static and will not shift with the camera. Different folks will feel differently, hence there being two versions.

I may review the lens flares at a later time, some of them are a bit prominent vs others, it may look better with just a couple of brushes rather than the current mix. Feedback welcome ^^

37 minutes ago, million_lights said:

@Galileo here is all you need.

I took the time to check all anomalies on Gael.

KSC2 (baikonour) and 3 dishes and bugged

http://imgur.com/a/MFGGd

I can do anything about the dishes. Kopernicus is not capable of moving PQSCity or PQSCity2 yet, besides KSC which uses a custom plugin inside kopernicus to move it. 

10 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Galileo I know of KSC2 being present and I also know exactly where it is (on an amusing tiny uppercase I or H-shaped island). When RocketPCGaming went there it was above water and just fine. Ohio's sea level tweaks surely caused it to go under. :P 

Yeah the only think I can do with KSC2 is remove it, which I thought I did. I'll have to look to see if something has changed. I wish I could move it though. There are so many places I could put it :)

I kinda like that it's out there on that lonely island not much bigger than itself. But the dish problem is another story. :P  Those "three" bugged dishes must all be underwater and I'm sure neither of us want to carve up a hill under them to put them above sea level.

@eddiew

Since I'm a hobby astronomer, I can perhaps provide an explanation.

In mirror telescopes such as the Hubble, the secondary mirror is attached to a spider. These attachments cause diffraction effects of the light. At bright stars you can see this very well. When such lines are reflected, these effects are reflected on the telescopic wall. These are recognizable by the fact that they are parallel to the "spikes" of the stars. However, these appear only at long exposure times, which should be the case here.

In the case of lens telescopes, these do not appear at all.

yhKnEEm.jpg

I hope this was not too much off topic now.

Greetings

12 minutes ago, astroheiko said:

@eddiew

Since I'm a hobby astronomer, I can perhaps provide an explanation.

Ahh, thank you. I feel like I've read somewhere that reflector telescopes can also have issues with not showing the wires that hold the smaller mirror in place too? I think we sort of accept them when they're on a star and pass it off as a "lens flare" - even though our eyes never see any such thing - but I've done my best to remove the ones that are 'floating' because they're a bit out of place in a skybox :) 

Just in case we're off topic, here's sunrise on Tellumo, being viewed at sunrise on Rald (in my game, Tellumo's moon) using one of @Galileo's sunflares.

pdnSpqk.jpg

My current config has Rald rotating slower than its orbit, such that Tellumo sets in the east while the sun rises. It leads to a lot of crossovers twixt the two, but horizon intersects are the best :) 

...also, I just noticed that I've had my game running silent for an unknown amount of time...

Edited by eddiew

5 hours ago, eddiew said:

Ahh, thank you. I feel like I've read somewhere that reflector telescopes can also have issues with not showing the wires that hold the smaller mirror in place too?

You're referring to the difference between a Newtonian reflector (has no upper support structure focusing the light column onto an upper eyepiece) vs. a Richey-Chretien style telescope like the Hubble.  Just for comparison...a 20 inch Newtonian reflector is a long tube generally around 7-8' tall and a 20 inch RCT would be around 3 feet tall.  They are super lightweight and strong with amazingly short focal planes allowing super precision focus...but they suffer diffraction spikes as described by @astroheiko

I seriously apologize for making this 3rd off post in the thread and also shall contribute my screenshot fig leaf...

A timed re-entry of 3 ASERT/Asteroid Sample probes as they passed over the KSC on their return home from a successful mission

21O5xNf.jpg

My current game is getting me killed on the science front since I run a 10% science game with 90% contract science penalty making me constantly use every asset I have available to gathering higher tech.  This planet pack is absolutely stunning for this type of forced long term game play.

Edited by rasta013

There is no such thing as an off topic as long as it pertains to: space, science, math or physics.. I'm very ignorant to many of these conversations and find them fascinating. I have learned a lot from a lot of different people on these forums. 

So with finally getting this to work, i'm planning to setup my comms network with some satellites on ceti, but idk what launch site is good for getting on ceti's inclination. ideas?

44 minutes ago, Duski said:

So with finally getting this to work, i'm planning to setup my comms network with some satellites on ceti, but idk what launch site is good for getting on ceti's inclination. ideas?

You can get to any inclination from the equatorial launch site, just eyeball when you're passing under Ceti's AN or DN and tweak your inclination during the ascent. Dirt cheap to add 8 degrees north when you're using the fins at the back of the rocket and only going a few hundred m/s :)  Using KER's rendezvous panel will really help, since you can keep an eye on the relative inclination without leaving flight view.

@eddiew @Duski KSC default inclination is < 1 degree from that of Ceti. If you learn to time Ceti you can save near entirely on plane match dV

@BeastlyBean No, Sigma does not cover fuel balancing. You'll have to find and install SMURFF for that, and if it works with current KSP.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@eddiew @Duski KSC default inclination is < 1 degree from that of Ceti. If you learn to time Ceti you can save near entirely on plane match dV

Fair enough - I always launch from Rook's Glory because I'm a simple chap :)   Care to share a screenshot of Ceti's orbit vs where KSC is when you launch?