[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That's good. But still odd that it's taking so long on a brand new game. I'd suggest posting your most recent log in case there are still errors. 

Maybe it's the part where Kopernicus generates all the planet cache files?

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

Well since my gfx card went out I have been forced to play on my "slightly" less powerful pc. It has an [email protected] ghz and a crappy integrated gfx and 8gb of ram. It takes about 15 min to boot a fresh GPP install. My guess would be either the ram speed, or the CPU itself being slow. Don't know if that's his issue as well, but maybe.

With 8 GB you might be getting a lot of hard memory faults, thrashing the swap file.  You can check to see the overall hard fault rate in the Windows Resource Monitor.  Even with an SSD, it really slows KSP down if it's continuously moving pages in and out of main memory.  The type of delays you and @Slasher are seeing are typical of what I used to see when I had only 8GB.  Increasing the amount of memory should make a huge difference in speed.  

2 hours ago, Slasher said:

Thank you so much!

You're welcome.

Sometimes it doesn't matter where you place a file, but at other times it's crucial.  The only thing in GPP that I'm aware of that doesn't require a specific location are the resize configs.  Those you can put anywhere in the GameData folder, which I believe is stated in the instructions.  But something like the textures are referenced in the planet configs by a specific path.  If the files are not where they're suppose to be, they won't be found and the install will fail.  Anytime you see a "GameData" folder inside a mod download, you should copy exactly the contents of that folder to the GameData folder of your KSP installation.  And when you have a problem, checking that everything is in the right place is probably the first thing you should do.

11 minutes ago, AG5BPilot said:

With 8 GB you might be getting a lot of hard memory faults, thrashing the swap file.  You can check to see the overall hard fault rate in the Windows Resource Monitor.  Even with an SSD, it really slows KSP down if it's continuously moving pages in and out of main memory.  The type of delays you and @Slasher are seeing are typical of what I used to see when I had only 8GB.  Increasing the amount of memory should make a huge difference in speed.  

Yeah, on my main pc (with the busted gfx card) I have 64gb of ram, and have never seen KSP load that slowly. So you are probably right.

Anybody else having trouble downloading the GPP_Textures.zip from github?  I've been trying for a while, and it gets part way, then fails the download, different spot each time.  No problem downloading the main mod or anything else.  I'm secretly hoping that it's because @Galileo is uploading the upgrade to 1.3 :):)

4 hours ago, Jetski said:

Anybody else having trouble downloading the GPP_Textures.zip from github?  I've been trying for a while, and it gets part way, then fails the download, different spot each time.  No problem downloading the main mod or anything else.  I'm secretly hoping that it's because @Galileo is uploading the upgrade to 1.3 :):)

I wish, but unfortunately not. :( 

you aren't the first person to experience this issue recently. I will try to look into it as soon as I can

@Galileo thank you for this amazing mod, it's a very needed refreshment from the stock Kerbol system and the planets look stunning! I have a stupid question though, is there any "easy" way that this could be incorporated to the stock game as an extra star system instead of replacing it? I know there are mods that add multiple star systems but I'm unfamiliar with the details on how it's done exactly.

I'd love to be able to explore both systems simultaneously though!

19 minutes ago, Thrimm said:

@Galileo thank you for this amazing mod, it's a very needed refreshment from the stock Kerbol system and the planets look stunning! I have a stupid question though, is there any "easy" way that this could be incorporated to the stock game as an extra star system instead of replacing it? I know there are mods that add multiple star systems but I'm unfamiliar with the details on how it's done exactly.

I'd love to be able to explore both systems simultaneously though!

This will be possible when 1.3 comes out. Unfortunately, we are still waiting for kopernicus and Scatterer to release an update fixing some major issues.

5 hours ago, Danilka said:

A why not use sigma binary for Hox and Argo?

We had Hox and Argo configured for that at one time.  We also had Gauss and Catullus configured as binaries.  To enable it all you had to do was install Sigma Binary.  But it was removed for some reason because it was suspected of causing a problem.  I think there might have been a conflict with the Research Bodies mod, but I don't really remember.  I never experienced the problem myself, but I recall others complaining about it.  Perhaps one of the other guys can elaborate.

19 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

We had Hox and Argo configured for that at one time.  We also had Gauss and Catullus configured as binaries.  To enable it all you had to do was install Sigma Binary.  But it was removed for some reason because it was suspected of causing a problem.  I think there might have been a conflict with the Research Bodies mod, but I don't really remember.  I never experienced the problem myself, but I recall others complaining about it.  Perhaps one of the other guys can elaborate.

We still have Gauss and Catullus set up. SB was causing some issues in the past. Dunno about in 1.3 though

9 minutes ago, Galileo said:

We still have Gauss and Catullus set up.

Why yes it is, my mistake.  I know we had it in there at one time, then it wasn't, and now it's back.  I guess I just got a little confused.

I remember now why we don't have Hox-Argo set up as binaries - because it's pretty boring and we decided not to bother.  If anybody wants to, however, all they have to do is find the file Argo.cfg and paste the following in at the very end.

@Kopernicus:NEEDS[SigmaBinary&!RemoteTech]:BEFORE[SigmaBinary]
{
	@Body[Argo]
	{
		SigmaBinary
		{}
	}
}

It looks like it was RemoteTech that created the conflict, because the above is configured to work only if RemoteTech is not installed.  If you have both RemoteTech and Sigma Binary installed, the Sigma Binary stuff won't work.  You'll have to make a choice between those two mods.  

3 hours ago, RocketPCGaming said:

So I am thinking someone should make a companion mod that replaces Jeb, Bob, Bill, and Val with Galileo, OhioBob, Poodmund, and JadeofMaar and "Kerbal" with "Gaelian". :-P

2 hours ago, Porter_John said:

Yes. 

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

You won't.

The real question is which one would be Val???

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

13 hours ago, RocketPCGaming said:

So I am thinking someone should make a companion mod that replaces Jeb, Bob, Bill, and Val with Galileo, OhioBob, Poodmund, and JadeofMaar and "Kerbal" with "Gaelian". :-P

I've looked into it and it won't be hard to do. I'm out of the house for the next few hours but I should be able to build, test, and upload by tonight. If you're streaming I'll pop by. 

Also, I've decided that Jeb = @Galileo (our fearless leader), Bob = @OhioBob (duh), Val = @Poodmund (jeb and val are the two pilots, Galileo and Pood were the two main texture makers) and Bill = @JadeOfMaar

14 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

I've looked into it and it won't be hard to do. I'm out of the house for the next few hours but I should be able to build, test, and upload by tonight. If you're streaming I'll pop by. 

Also, I've decided that Jeb = @Galileo (our fearless leader), Bob = @OhioBob (duh), Val = @Poodmund (jeb and val are the two pilots, Galileo and Pood were the two main texture makers) and Bill = @JadeOfMaar

BillOfMaar!

4 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Awesome! Will try to stream tonight, depends on when/ if it cools down enough!