[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

27 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

Thing is, i don't have a contract pack for this. according to the KSP wiki these contracts exist in stock KSP but are just extremely rare

Then they are likely uniquely named is my guess..

1 hour ago, AmpCat said:

Just started toying with GPP here, and I had a question. Tellumo looks quiet beautiful.. is there any relatively easy way to put a permanent base option on that planet? Fully functional and usable just like KSP would be in the normal system. Basically, so I could play there instead of on Gael. Perhaps a way to swap Tellumo and Gael? (though you'd still probably have to figure out how to place a base on a suitable plot of land)

@Gordon Fecyk wrote a config that makes Tellumo the home world, and I wrote configs to modify the engines for Tellumo.  You can try it out if you want.

2 hours ago, AmpCat said:

Tellumo looks quiet beautiful.. is there any relatively easy way to put a permanent base option on that planet?

@OhioBob already linked you to posts that should help you set up shop on Tellumo. The original modification swaps out config files for Gael, Ceti, Iota, Tellumo and Lili to move the home world to Tellumo, and the engine packs will help you with the ridiculous sea level air pressure. Think Eve with an oxygen atmosphere, only heavier and being slightly colder than Gael or Kerbin.

With that in mind, it's possible to unlock up to Tier 5 on mostly surface and low atmosphere science, at which point you can build Eve-like ascent vehicles to get to LTO. Barely. Jet-assisted boosters can help give you a fighting chance as air-breathing jet engines are not as pressure-sensitive. And there are jet engine mods available for an additional boost.

3 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

Hm. I was looking more for just the nice visuals. Swap the models but not the difficulty. :P

I'll take a look at those mods. Thanks!

Nothing like that presently exists.  You could use Gordon's Tellumo home world config, and then modify Tellumo's properties to make it easier.

@Galileo and @OhioBob hit Eta...

TCMKml7.png

...before high-tailing it home.

Ml5DPDz.png

Wow, that's a lot of ribbons.  And both Galileo and OhioBob were promoted to five stars thanks to the 59 (!) experience points that each gained on the trip.

0lM9mF7.png

With all Gaelans safely home, it's time to enter the GPP 1.5.88 space/time vortex and see if we can pass through to the other side.  Fingers are crossed.

Landed my new UltraStar-2 SSTO on Augustus, seems like a nice flat place to set up an MKS base (thank god for the atmosphere though, aerobraking really saved me here)

C7ZuBFf.jpg

And i might have gone a bit too far with my scansat launch now...

bxOFj7E.jpg

Edited by BRAAAP_STUTUTU

Been playing with this a bit more, and this seems like a really fun mod. I've just been coming off using Astronomer's Visual Pack. I was blown away by how nice and seamless the atmospheres are in that game, at least on Kerbin. When switching to this I was a bit.. disappointed, that the atmospheres are back to looking like a transparency mapped shell around the planet, like the standard EVE and Scatterer mods.

I'm wondering if you've seen how those atmospheres are done there? Could something similar be applied to the cloud textures here to make them seem like they have a bit more depth and aren't just a thin shell?

1 hour ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

@Galileo it seems that Otho won't let itself be scanned by the SCANSAT biome scanner/low resolution scanner since the maximum heigts are lower than the atmosphere height

Can you scan a gas giant?  I didn't even know that was possible.

Just now, OhioBob said:

Can you scan a gas giant?  I didn't even know that was possible.

Yup you can, the SAR is fine actually since it has a max range of 750K, you can even do resourcse scans for some reason (not that you are ever gonna manage to drill ore on a gas giant haha)

1 minute ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

Yup you can, the SAR is fine actually since it has a max range of 750K, you can even do resourcse scans for some reason (not that you are ever gonna manage to drill ore on a gas giant haha)

Let me correct myself.  I know that gas giant can be scanned.  What I really meant to ask is what is the usefulness of it?  Since there is no surface, what data is there that can be obtained by doing a scan?

2 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

optimal is 250k maximum is 500K, i do have to say that you can also scan stars albeit at different set altitudes

Well, you're out of luck then.  I don't want to change the atmospheres just for that one instrument.  If you can't get close enough to do a scan, then so be it.  It's not going to work at Nero or Sarnus either.

8 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Well, you're out of luck then.  I don't want to change the atmospheres just for that one instrument.  If you can't get close enough to do a scan, then so be it.  It's not going to work at Nero or Sarnus either.

Don't worry about it, i managed to increase the range of the scansat equipment by editing some cfg files, probably easier just make a MM patch officially

13 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

Don't worry about it, i managed to increase the range of the scansat equipment by editing some cfg files, probably easier just make a MM patch officially

That makes more sense anyway.  In real life we can't change a planet, so we just recalibrate the instrument.  Personally, I wouldn't want to make a change of the scan heights as an official part of GPP, but that's not solely up to me.  The heights are what they are and that's what everyone who uses ScanSat is use to.  Changing it might just freak people out.  If there are a couple planets that can't be scanned, I'm not bothered by it.  The scan heights are known and the atmosphere heights are known, so it's up to the player to put one and one together and release you can't do that.

Edited by OhioBob

1 hour ago, AmpCat said:

Been playing with this a bit more, and this seems like a really fun mod. I've just been coming off using Astronomer's Visual Pack. I was blown away by how nice and seamless the atmospheres are in that game, at least on Kerbin. When switching to this I was a bit.. disappointed, that the atmospheres are back to looking like a transparency mapped shell around the planet, like the standard EVE and Scatterer mods.

I'm wondering if you've seen how those atmospheres are done there? Could something similar be applied to the cloud textures here to make them seem like they have a bit more depth and aren't just a thin shell?

No I cannot. I really like the realism in GPP. AVP has a more vibrant and sci-fi/fantastical feel to it, which I do not care for. To each, their own though. Also, if you are talking about the “fumes from a gas grill” look applied to the clouds in EVE, then absolutely not. Sorry you were disappointed :) 

Edited by Galileo

8 hours ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

Unless something has changed and my spreadsheet is out of date (always a possibility of course), the scanners and planets where you'll have trouble are:

Lilli:  SOI is too low for the DMOS multi-spectral scanner or the soil moisture scanner (50 km).

Otho and Nero: With a 600 km and 560 km atmospheres, the only instruments that work are the stock resource scanner (max: 1000 km) and SAR (max 800 km).  Everything else in stock or DMOS has a maximum height of 500 km or less.

Gauss:  The atmosphere is higher than then 300 km maximum height of the DMOS multi-spectral scanner.

I vaguely remember that a while ago (several years) the stock scanners were modified to work on particularly large or small planets by adjusting their range limits, but I may be remembering that incorrectly.  If the stock biome scanner works at Otho, that would be why.

I haven't tried scanning the stars, but based on their wiki entries everything except the DMOS soil moisture scanner should work at Grannus and nothing should work with Ciro.

3 hours ago, AG5BPilot said:

Unless something has changed and my spreadsheet is out of date (always a possibility of course), the scanners and planets where you'll have trouble are:

Lilli:  SOI is too low for the DMOS multi-spectral scanner or the soil moisture scanner (50 km).

Otho and Nero: With a 600 km and 560 km atmospheres, the only instruments that work are the stock resource scanner (max: 1000 km) and SAR (max 800 km).  Everything else in stock or DMOS has a maximum height of 500 km or less.

Gauss:  The atmosphere is higher than then 300 km maximum height of the DMOS multi-spectral scanner.

I vaguely remember that a while ago (several years) the stock scanners were modified to work on particularly large or small planets by adjusting their range limits, but I may be remembering that incorrectly.  If the stock biome scanner works at Otho, that would be why.

I haven't tried scanning the stars, but based on their wiki entries everything except the DMOS soil moisture scanner should work at Grannus and nothing should work with Ciro.

Lilli is fine actually