[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

On 2/27/2022 at 4:06 PM, OhioBob said:

Freezing and crashing problems have been reported frequently since the last release of GPP.  But I've only heard from those that have had problems, not from those who haven't.  Therefore, I have no idea how widespread the problem is.  My own personal experience is that I've never had a problem and have been unable to recreate the bug.  Though, granted, I have not played extensively.  If there is anybody who has been playing GPP successfully without the reported freezes and crashes, I'd like to hear from you.  Please post a reply.

Sorry for being late to the party. I have not experienced any freezing or crashes (yet) with the current iteration of GPP. I'm not sure if GPP has been updated since this topic came to rise though. Currently running 92 mods, and aside from the typical medium-ish load time, the set up has been running smooth for me.

2 hours ago, eggzy said:

Sorry for being late to the party. I have not experienced any freezing or crashes (yet) with the current iteration of GPP. I'm not sure if GPP has been updated since this topic came to rise though. Currently running 92 mods, and aside from the typical medium-ish load time, the set up has been running smooth for me.

Thanks for the report.  Other than myself, I've only heard from a few people that say they haven't had problems.  But that's not surprising considering most who come here do so because they've had issues.  Those who haven't probably don't bother to read my posts.  The fact that some people have had this problem and other haven't makes it even more perplexing as to what the source of the problem is.  (FYI, GPP has not been updated since the problem was first reported.)

Of course now that I brag about the lack of issues, I've generated one. As others previous, I am getting a random memory leak around Day 17 hour 2-4 when completing a SCANSAT contract. It is not generating a log, but I ran my task manager side by side while time warping to watch for when it occurs. The leak triggers as the contract is executing as complete. I know it's useless info without logs. I'm just posting to see if it helps others to recreate the issue and perhaps narrow down a solution.

@OhioBob, what is your mod list? I will delete my set and install to play a mirror of yours.

Edited by eggzy

1 hour ago, eggzy said:

@OhioBob, what is your mod list? I will delete my set and install to play a mirror of yours.

I just tried to reproduce the problem in sandbox testing, so I have no idea what I had installed.  I haven't actually played a game in probably a year.  That's possibly the reason I haven't been able to reproduce the problem.  If it has something to do with contracts or milestone, etc., I haven't experienced any of that.  That's what makes this so hard to track down.  I'm not going to sit here and play the game for hours in the hope that the bug might occur, and then hope that I can figure what's causing it.  What I really need is a bug report that can tell me how to produce the bug without fail by following a specific set of steps.  But one somebody says it happened when they completed some contract, that is so specific to their particular game and setup that there is really nothing I can do to reproduce those specific circumstances.  What also has me baffled is that there wasn't anything changed in the last release that would make me think it might be the source of the problem.  It was all pretty standard stuff.  I just don't know what to do about it.

21 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

But one somebody says it happened when they completed some contract, that is so specific to their particular game and setup that there is really nothing I can do to reproduce those specific circumstances.

I get it. Just providing what I can despite the lack of logs. I was able to bypass the issue by not sitting in the tracking station on time warp and waiting for the contract to execute. As always, I appreciate your help. So very glad that GPP and GEP are out there for simpletons such as myself.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OrbitalMechanic said:

What's the general compatibility of GPP with Outer Planets Mod in 1.7.2? I can't really find an answer that's terribly up to date.

I haven't tested GPP with OPM since the early days, but I assume nothing has changed.  As far as I know, everything should still work as detailed in this post:

The latest release of GPP may not work in 1.7.2 however.  We list the minimum version as 1.12.1, so no support will be provided for older KSP versions.

Edited by OhioBob

On 5/30/2022 at 3:29 PM, OrbitalMechanic said:

What's the general compatibility of GPP with Outer Planets Mod in 1.7.2? I can't really find an answer that's terribly up to date.

I can confirm it used to work fine in the past, worst case scenario you might have to find and download old versions of GPP and OPM, I think I've always used GPP + GEP + OPM since GEP came out,  maybe just a few months after that.

But out of curiosity can I ask why you're still running 1.7.2? I'm not aware of many mods that don't work with more recent releases

On 5/9/2022 at 11:22 PM, OhioBob said:

@bigyihsuan, @Rodger, the current version of GPP will likely not receive any further updates or patches.  I'm working on a much bigger revamp of GPP that will replace the current version.

That sounds exciting! Are we talking save-breaking revamp or most likely not? 

3 hours ago, lBoBl said:

Are we talking save-breaking revamp or most likely not? 

We're going to stipulate that it be used with new games only.  We're not going to take any responsibity for, or provide support for, existing saves.

For those who have reported game freezes and crashes, I may have gotten a lead on a possible cause.  I've been informed that there is a bug in the stock maneuver tool that can cause intermittent freezes when changing spheres of influence (and at other times as well).  I can't be certain this is what you have been experiencing, but it sounds likely.  Regrettably, this is a stock bug and there's nothing we can do to fix it.  However, the mod KSP Community Fixes includes the option to disable the stock maneuver tool, which may eliminate the problem. 

Instructions:

• Download and install KSP Community Fixes and its dependencies.
  • Launch KSP and load your saved game.
  • Press ESC and select Settings.
  • Scroll down to KSP Community Fixes.
  • Click the button next to "Maneuver Tool" to disable.
  • Click Accept to save changes and exit.

Edited by OhioBob

9 hours ago, Kerbin Launch Coalition said:

I'm thinking it somehow breaks the GPP/GEP clouds and such. :antiradial:

That would probably be a yes.  I've never used Ad Astra, but I see no evidence that the creator ever intended it to be used with GPP and GEP.    

Are we allowed to post our photos or achievements we've made in a play through on this forum? I figure something different from "please help my game that has 84 mods in the build is broken" would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, eggzy said:

Are we allowed to post our photos or achievements we've made in a play through on this forum? I figure something different from "please help my game that has 84 mods in the build is broken" would be appreciated.

Certainly, please post away.

So I've been playing pretty blindly and have just completed my first interplanetary transfer to... Thalia. My probe unfortunately doesn't have any thermal dissipation capabilities (I didn't know Thalia was pouring heat out of it) so I can hardly break 500k km before heating becomes a problem. Thankfully I noticed the heating issue around 600-700ish km and dumped a ton of fuel to bring my orbit up from certain death at 300km. Coupled with a 45ish second signal delay and it made for some spicy moments trying to get into orbit. I had to settle for an elliptical orbit so it can cool off before dipping back in again. Lack of fuel means this is the final resting place for this probe. Attached is the probe heating up with Thalia looming in on the right!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubex9foryk8bmrd/screenshot2.png?dl=0

7 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Has anybody had any luck getting the disabling of the maneuver tool to stop your game freezes/crashes?

It helps me to use the KSPCF workaround of disabling that tool when dealing with really distant bodies.  Otherwise intense spurts of lag happen.

On 6/10/2022 at 9:49 PM, OhioBob said:

Sorry you had the find out the hard way.

Dude no need to apologize! That's what makes it fun and why I'm not trying to read a lot about the planets is so I get a genuine experience. Honestly I'm what 2 planets from the star in this system? I have no cooling capabilities  in the design lol. Who's fault is that :D

I am really enjoying exploring this system!

Even aside from the amazing graphics, GPP is so much more internally consistent than the stock system, especially with regards to the atmospheres. But even then, there is no shortage of diversity among the celestial bodies, and the system is full of features that are realistic but unexplored such as Catullus's unique atmosphere or Hadrian's nitrogen sea. Nearly every feature in the system has a reason behind it, and it's really fun to see the results of those factors all come together.

However, I cannot figure out why Catullus's tidal locking to Gauss is stable. If I'm understanding tidal forces correctly, Gauss from a distance of 57 Mm exerts a tidal force of 6.82 · 10-10 m/s2 per meter (which, at the radius of Catullus, comes out to 0.000818 m/s2). Meanwhile, Tarsiss is much smaller than Gauss but also much closer to Catullus, and I'm finding that its tidal force from 6 Mm away is 1.581 · 10-9 m/s2 per meter (0.001897 m/s2 at the surface of Catullus), more than twice as much as that of Gauss.

I don't know the exact process of how tidal locking works, but wouldn't this mean that Catullus should be tidally locked to Tarsiss or at least rotate at a speed somewhere in between, balanced by competing forces from Tarsiss and Gauss?

Of course, I could easily be making an error somewhere or missing something important, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some other reason for Catullus's rotational period.

42 minutes ago, Leganeski said:

However, I cannot figure out why Catullus's tidal locking to Gauss is stable. If I'm understanding tidal forces correctly, Gauss from a distance of 57 Mm exerts a tidal force of 6.82 · 10-10 m/s2 per meter (which, at the radius of Catullus, comes out to 0.000818 m/s2). Meanwhile, Tarsiss is much smaller than Gauss but also much closer to Catullus, and I'm finding that its tidal force from 6 Mm away is 1.581 · 10-9 m/s2 per meter (0.001897 m/s2 at the surface of Catullus), more than twice as much as that of Gauss.

I don't know the exact process of how tidal locking works, but wouldn't this mean that Catullus should be tidally locked to Tarsiss or at least rotate at a speed somewhere in between, balanced by competing forces from Tarsiss and Gauss?

Of course, I could easily be making an error somewhere or missing something important, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some other reason for Catullus's rotational period.

I can't recall if there was a specific reason why we did it that way or not.  It's possible we (meaning me) just didn't think it through enough.  I have a similar situtation in GEP were a planet that would normally be tidally locked to its star is instead tidally locked to a large moon.  I'll have to investigate this further, and if I agree with your findings, I'll change it.  I'm currently working on a GPP update, so adding this change will be easy.

2 hours ago, Artificer_Drachen said:

Despite having KSP Community fixes installed and doing reccomended steps, I still crash when changing SOI after slowing down from time warp.

I started a new save after it started happening to me, and now I’m 5 years in to the new save with no crashes. Might be worth a try.