[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

35 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is it possible to go the low tech route and maybe have a menu item with a dialog that asks what your preferred star is for solar tracking? You can set when the vessel becomes active. At least until it can be fixed?

This sounds like more like a feature request for Koperinicus. Either way, it's going to be fixed soon. The best work around currently is to use static solar panels. :)

20 minutes ago, Three_Pounds said:

This sounds like more like a feature request for Koperinicus. Either way, it's going to be fixed soon. The best work around currently is to use static solar panels. :)

I also have found that using the SSTU Solar panels fixes the issue. They track the proper star

@Galileo I'm currently on a translation spree localizing mods into German. I will probably get around to translating your mods in the coming week or so. Looking at the GitHub for GPP I noticed that there are multiple branches, one even called localization. Which branch has the most up to date keys and against which branch should I place my pull request?

12 minutes ago, Three_Pounds said:

@Galileo I'm currently on a translation spree localizing mods into German. I will probably get around to translating your mods in the coming week or so. Looking at the GitHub for GPP I noticed that there are multiple branches, one even called localization. Which branch has the most up to date keys and against which branch should I place my pull request?

Just do it against the master for now. The localization branch hasn't been touched in months and we have changed/added a lot of things since then

1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

but how and have u done it?

I haven’t done it, but Fuel Cells can supply power. RTGs are another power source 

if you’re asking if solar panels would work, I’m not sure but you can always Cheat a test vehicle to the outer planet, check solar panel output and revert the ship back. I’ve done this kind of “mission modeling” before and it’s a great way to figure things out 

Edited by Tyko

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

if you’re asking if solar panels would work, I’m not sure but you can always Cheat a test vehicle to the outer planet, check solar panel output and revert the ship back. I’ve done this kind of “mission modeling” before and it’s a great way to figure things out 

If you look in the GPP section of the KSPedia, one of the properties listed for each body is solar flux.  This should tell you proportionately how much solar power you should get at each body.  For instance, the solar flux at Gael is 1360 W/m2, while at Otho it is 50.3 W/m2.  Therefore a solar panel's power output at Otho should be 50.3/1360 = 0.037 times what it is at Gael.

@The-Doctor IRL probes going to the outer planets have been powered by RTGs. It's the only power source that makes much sense, as it's mass-efficient and there are no moving parts to wear out.

Getting back to GPP, I would only use solar panels as far out as Gratian' or maybe Otho for a small probe with low power requirements. Everything else would be nuclear in some regard.

Edited by Norcalplanner
Added a bit

3 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

@The-Doctor IRL probes going to the outer planets have been powered by RTGs. It's the only power source that makes much sense, as it's mass-efficient and there are no moving parts to wear out.

Getting back to GPP, I would only use solar panels as far out as Gratian' or maybe Otho for a small probe with low power requirements. Everything else would be nuclear in some regard.

would a large number of RTG's be enough to power a crewed mission?

22 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

would a large number of RTG's be enough to power a crewed mission?

Depends on how many power-hungry mods you have installed.  USI-LS uses a lot of power to keep those recyclers and habitats going.  There are also some larger RTGs in some mods (like NF Electrical) to help keep the part count down.

22 hours ago, OhioBob said:

If you look in the GPP section of the KSPedia, one of the properties listed for each body is solar flux.  This should tell you proportionately how much solar power you should get at each body.  For instance, the solar flux at Gael is 1360 W/m2, while at Otho it is 50.3 W/m2.  Therefore a solar panel's power output at Otho should be 50.3/1360 = 0.037 times what it is at Gael.

I wonder how it scales with 10.6x rescale.

Edited by Yakvi

24 minutes ago, Yakvi said:

It has no effect. Consider the following mock up formula to estimate the power from a solar panel with a set distance to Ciro:

Power Percentage = 100% * ( Gaels Distance from Ciro / Distance from Ciro)^2

From this you can cleary see that if you were to add a rescale factor to both those values, they'd cancel inside the fraction and you'd be left with exactly the same result.

Edited by Three_Pounds

49 minutes ago, Yakvi said:

What @Three_Pounds says is exactly correct.  In fact, the equation he gives is how we computed the solar fluxes (we just replaced 100% with the solar flux at Gael).

Solar Flux = 1360 * ( Gaels Distance from Ciro / Distance from Ciro)^2

This is an example of the inverse-square law.  Gravity follows the same law.

7 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

In fact, the equation he gives is how we computed the solar fluxes.

One day you'll realize that I am just an alternative account of one of you developers or a really good spy, making use of my talent to spy on open source game modification developers for god knows what reason. Back to the cave I go!

Edited by Three_Pounds

1 hour ago, linecrafter said:

Does delta-v map have a mistake? It says that capture burn for Thalia is ~1,200 ms of dV but in game it's like ~2,500 ms dV.

That's indeed strange. Just to make sure you're not seeing ghosts, I calculated an average looking transfer using KSPTOT and here is what It gives me as a first estimate:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Porkchop Plot Results - 18-Sep-2017 19:33:28                                                             
--------------------------------------------                                                             
Optimal Gael Departure:      Year 1, Day 60 04:56:21.066 (1292181.0662 sec UT)                           
Optimal Thalia Arrival:      Year 1, Day 192 04:22:57.223 (4141377.2228 sec UT)                          
Transfer Duration:           131 Days 05:26:36.157                                                       
Departure + Arrival Delta-V: 3.9384 km/s                                                                 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I estimate the departure burn to be on the order of 1,500 m/s so the capture burn is somewhere around  2,500 m/s. This of course isn't entirely accurate but I would have to start actually designing a proper trajectory and that takes some time. I suspect there really is something wrong with the dV map. I ran the optimizer again, this time only looking at the Arrival Delta-V and I still couldn't get a transfer with less than 2km/s.

Porkchop Plot Results - 18-Sep-2017 19:37:31                                                             
--------------------------------------------                                                             
Optimal Gael Departure: Year 1, Day 273 03:52:59.763 (5889179.7627 sec UT)                               
Optimal Thalia Arrival: Year 1, Day 423 02:19:51.788 (9123591.7878 sec UT)                               
Transfer Duration:      149 Days 04:26:52.025                                                            
Arrival Delta-V Only:   2.0703 km/s