[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

@RobinVerhulstZ Congrats on that first landing. :D Your imgur link is very broken btw.

The GPP team is full of visual artists and coders, but empty of novelists, so we can't write science for every planet. 30 of 31 bodies have many biomes (including the stars but excluding Lili) so that's many bucketloads of science to write.

7 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@RobinVerhulstZ Congrats on that first landing. :D Your imgur link is very broken btw.

The GPP team is full of visual artists and coders, but empty of novelists, so we can't write science for every planet. 30 of 31 bodies have many biomes (including the stars but excluding Lili) so that's many bucketloads of science to write.

hope this one works though :https://imgur.com/gallery/iDcfK

yeah, i've noticed it with niven,i was like holy damn,does it have 12ish biomes?

i've pretty much restricted myself from the usage of MPL's since it'd be too OP and i want to be enticed to go to all the planets to get as much science as possible, rovers need relays of course so i also made a slightly botched 120° one for niven.

Edited by RobinVerhulstZ

5 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

It works. The rover design is very nice. :) 

Thanks! it's a slightly modified from my ceti and iota rovers (mostly just parachutes and ruggerized wheels for higher speed), i'm currently sending over a horde of SCANsat equipment to aid the rover (also with relay antennae for obvious reasons)

here is a picture https://imgur.com/a/uPdBL

Edited by RobinVerhulstZ

I'm trying to set up a save with this planet pack and some other mods. I've tested a few things, and every time I recover a vessel on Gael while in flight (not in the tracking station) my RAM usage jumps up 2.5GB. It seems to have a direct relationship with how many other mods I'm using, but as far as I can tell no one mod causes this. I am using the Linux 64 bit version of KSP, version 1.3.1; GPP version 1.5.4. I believe it tells the rest of the mods in one or both of the logs, but tell me if I need to supply more info.

Player.log: https://0x0.st/s-1W.log

KSP.log: https://0x0.st/s-14.log

Edit: It appears to also occur sometimes when I go to the tracking station. In its current state my game is unplayable.

Edited by Zekario

Hello! First of all I want to thank to all of you who made this great planet pack. So far I have spent over 150 hours playing with this mod (and many others of course) and there's so much more to do, it's almost intimidating. Although I have very weak system (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz and 4 GB RAM) and thus having to play with low graphics, it still looks beautiful.

I have recently built an outpost on Iota ( https://imgur.com/MMfuPbA ) and landed my mobile base on Niven ( https://imgur.com/ZYAxebkhttps://imgur.com/YivbvbF ) with which I absolutely love to just drive around and explore.

Throughout the playthrough I have encountered only one minor problem with the renamer. I'm using USI mods and I found out that my Gaelans were mysteriously disappearing. The problem was that sometimes a new applicant, who was randomly generated and I didn't even had access to him/her (due to USI which alters hiring process), had the same name as one of my kerbonaults (or gerbonaults) and overwrote him/her from my save (only applicant remained and even he later naturally disappeared as he/she should). Simple solution was either 1) rename all kerbonaults to something that is not in the name pool or 2) delete all used names from the pool (of course I made a back up of the pool for future playthroughs).

I just want to thank you again, you did a great job and I'm looking forward to exploring the rest of Ciro's system.

Lectiuss

41 minutes ago, lectiuss said:

Throughout the playthrough I have encountered only one minor problem with the renamer. I'm using USI mods and I found out that my Gaelans were mysteriously disappearing. The problem was that sometimes a new applicant, who was randomly generated and I didn't even had access to him/her (due to USI which alters hiring process), had the same name as one of my kerbonaults (or gerbonaults) and overwrote him/her from my save (only applicant remained and even he later naturally disappeared as he/she should). Simple solution was either 1) rename all kerbonaults to something that is not in the name pool or 2) delete all used names from the pool (of course I made a back up of the pool for future playthroughs).

Delete the GPP_Renamer folder from within GPP. It's unstable and currently seems very unfriendly to USI's hiring mod. We've been working on it and it should be fine for the next release. Thanks for the appreciation. :) 

7 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Yes. It will work just fine, but there's no custom science reports for it. GPP and DMOS together are too big for us to handle writing science for.

Awesome! by custom do u mean to add some kind of character or quirk to the reports? does it just state the body and biome its from currently?
Great work to you guys, the pack is great.

I'm preparing to send a four man crew to niven, and i might have made the most overkill rocket for the job EVER...

Album https://i.imgur.com/rROtEai.jpg will appear when post is submitted
rROtEai.jpg
5000-ish tonne on the launchpad
Album TpPXqjN.jpg will appear when post is submitted
907-ish tonne in LGO,with about 8300m/s left...
z1CQvwh.jpg

orbiting niven, note that none of this stages fuel has been used...

Edited by RobinVerhulstZ

21 hours ago, Zekario said:

I installed GPP with CKAN and it seems to work much better than when I installed it manually. No RAM spike when changing scenes so far, and EVE doesn't fight with rings.

Well, using CKAN installs the exact same files that are on github and installs them correctly. So if you installed it incorrectly, that could explain the issues you were having. Also, EVE has nothing to do with rings. Doesn’t touch them at all. It’s all Kopernicus and Scatterer.

4 minutes ago, RobinVerhulstZ said:

@JadeOfMaar Are radiators required for Thalia and eta?

Not for Eta -- at least not for the environment.  If you're running equipment that produces heat, you'll need radiators for that, same as anywhere.  Otherwise you'll have no problem with heat.

Thalia is deadly hot.  You'll definitely need radiators on the surface, and even in low orbit.

9 minutes ago, AG5BPilot said:

Not for Eta -- at least not for the environment.  If you're running equipment that produces heat, you'll need radiators for that, same as anywhere.  Otherwise you'll have no problem with heat.

Thalia is deadly hot.  You'll definitely need radiators on the surface, and even in low orbit.

How hot's icarus?

2 minutes ago, RobinVerhulstZ said:

How hot's icarus?

You'll need radiators there too.  Off the top of my head, I don't remember whether Icarus or Thalia was hotter.  Icarus is very close to the star, while Thalia's heat source is internal (it's radioactive).  Both require attention to cooling systems, and on both Kerbals can only survive on the surface for a limited time.

Also, unless it's changed in the latest GPP release, there's almost no ore on Thalia.  You can mine Karbonite, but ore is very rare there.  Eta is a perfectly fine place to set up a base, however.

8 hours ago, AntoniusCDXXXII said:

I made a working sea plane: https://imgur.com/gallery/yA1Zn

I was unsure will it work or not so i did the mission fully prepared to lose a plane.

One question about posting images though, should I keep posting imgur links and only posting a few images here to keep the thread from getting cluttered or is it ok to upload images here?

Now to bring it to tellumo...

On 11/22/2017 at 4:32 PM, RobinVerhulstZ said:

@JadeOfMaar Are radiators required for Thalia and eta?

On 11/22/2017 at 4:38 PM, AG5BPilot said:

Here is my Thalia orbiting station. Seven medium radiators, three small, six edge. At 100km orbit, it can last for about 40 min if I leave it active before things start blowing up. If it's not active, there are no problems.  I have 2 medium and two small radiators on my tiny lander. It can barely survive 5 minutes.

qtXoJJU.png

1 hour ago, Gilph said:

Here is my Thalia orbiting station. Seven medium radiators, three small, six edge. At 100km orbit, it can last for about 40 min if I leave it active before things start blowing up. If it's not active, there are no problems.  I have 2 medium and two small radiators on my tiny lander. It can barely survive 5 minutes.

The surface can be brutal for heating, but the lower the elevation the worse it is.  To mitigate it as much as possible, target the highlands.  When in orbit, you should try to stay above 300 km.  Higher is even better, but the marginal rate of change is mush less above 300 km than below.