[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

Just now, MaxL_1023 said:

I'll take a look when I get home and try and post some data relevant to the issue. Hopefully we can get the solar panel and irradiance issue fixed before my plants are convinced they are growing somewhere out near Gauss. 

I've tried to reproduce your problem and I'm not seeing it.  According to the Thermal GUI in the debug menu, I'm getting a solar flux of 1360 W/m2 at 1 AU from Ciro, and 42 W/m2 at 1 AU from Grannus.  That it what it should be.  The solar panel power output it still bugged, but I'm reading the correct fluxes.

I am using the Kerbalism mod - it has a greenhouse part which records the solar irradiance (to calculate how much artificial light it needs). In low Gael orbit, it is recording 42 w/m2 , and supplying 368 w/m2 from artificial light to reach its 410 w/m2 requirement. Basically, I need more electricity than I should due to this effect. The solar panel output seems reasonable - it is as if there is a patch in Kerbalism to compensate for the solar panel bug by reducing the irradiance by the same factor. 

I have a very interesting issue, it is about day lengths. 

In my 6.4 scale game I experience 15 h long days, which seems to match very well to this planet size. Contracts timer matches aswell, but Kerbal Construction time does not. To me it is not important to have a day equal to the rotation period of my home body.

A 24 h period for a day would prevent me from loosing money because of expiring contracts, when the ship building time does not match to the internal game clock.

In the Gael config you have: rotationPeriod = 21600

But the 6.4 scale config is not refering to that, but uses that instead: @dayLengthMultiplier = 2.5

Is it possible to not use the system wide daylenght multiplier, but keep the rotation period (I prefer my Kerbals beeing immigrants with a still off going bio rhythm)?

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I am using the Kerbalism mod - it has a greenhouse part which records the solar irradiance (to calculate how much artificial light it needs). In low Gael orbit, it is recording 42 w/m2 , and supplying 368 w/m2 from artificial light to reach its 410 w/m2 requirement. Basically, I need more electricity than I should due to this effect. The solar panel output seems reasonable - it is as if there is a patch in Kerbalism to compensate for the solar panel bug by reducing the irradiance by the same factor. 

I am seeing the exact same problem with Kerbalism and a stock-scale GPP (no resizing).  I ended up expanding the station with the greenhouse part to add additional solar panels.

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I don't know anything about Kerbalism, so I don't know what it's doing.  What does the Thermal GUI (debug menu)  read?  Can you hyperedit your greenhouse to orbit around Grannus and check the numbers?  Also try changing Grannus' luminosity to 1360 and see what happens.

For what it's worth, Kerbalism had a recent update that reworked solar panels. Some are compatible with it, some are not. So that may be covering up some of the problem if panels are working right but the greenhouse isn't. 

Side note: @JadeOfMaar any suggestions on values to tweak Grannus's sunflare to make it just barely visible from Gael in 6.4x? With Distant Object Enhacement, all I see is a dot. 

13 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Side note: @JadeOfMaar any suggestions on values to tweak Grannus's sunflare to make it just barely visible from Gael in 6.4x? With Distant Object Enhacement, all I see is a dot. 

I believe you'll have to tinker with the AU setting in Grannus.cfg. I don't recall whether increasing or decreasing is the way to go, but start with increases.

@MaxL_1023, @AG5BPilot I tried to replicate the greenhouse issue, without any luck. You can see on the screenshot below that natural lighting is correct here on Gael.

screenshot15.png

Indeed I was puzzled by the fact you reported different solar irradiance for stock solar panels and greenhouse, as these are re-using the same calculation.

@JadeOfMaar 

On 4/20/2017 at 0:24 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Solar panels work alright around Grannus but function at over 32x normal around Ciro.

I assume the issue was happening with Kerbalism. It does assume there is only one star, at index zero. Lifting this limitation is planned.

But after some investigation on Kopernicus source code, the specific issue you are seeing is probably an interaction between the two. When determining irradiance at an arbitrary position, Kerbalism use two informations about the star: its radiosity (PhysicsGlobal.SolarLuminosity) and its position (FlightGlobals.bodies[0].position). Kopernicus constantly set the former to match what he consider the 'active star', so Kerbalism get fooled to the right value. But the latter is always wrong for stars that are not at index zero. Honestly I don't know how Kopernicus determine the 'active star', if it is exposed to third party mods, or maybe if it does change planetarium sun to reflect the active star.

5 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

you'll have to tinker with the AU setting

In Kopernicus body specs:
- 'luminosity': solar irradiance at 1 AU (in W/m²)
- 'sunAU': how many meters 1 AU is to be considered, for the sake of radiosity computation

Then star radiosity is correctly computed as: irradiace at 1 AU * (meters in 1 AU)² * 4PI

So, the sunAU parameter is here because radiosity can't be specified directly. But by manipulating sunAU you can set radiosity indirectly.

In any case, I suggest to keep sunAU to match semiMajorAxis of the home body.
Because for example this piece of code of Kopernicus here does assume "sunAU == homeBody.SMA"

22 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@CatastrophicFailure Umm... if you're going to change SunAU then you might derp out some stuff. I'm still such a newbie. :blush: 

Erm... yeah, about that...

IIRC, when I tweaked Ciro's sunflare into the bloated monstrosity it is, it was something in the scatterer config. You had a page on it somewhere in here, but just plugging in guesses on my end doesn't seem to be having any effect yet. 

Ok - My thermal GUI says that insolation is 0.15 and luminosity is 42 from low Gael orbit. I am also getting these Ciro .CFGs:

sunAU = 13982766706
                    luminosity = 1360

So for some reason, the AU seems to have not been rescaled by sigma dimensions. I am in 10.6257x - shouldn't Ciro's AU be increased by this value?

Also, I cheated my station to Grannus orbit at 1 AU (14 Gm based on the config) and there was no solar irradiance at all - it is only picking up Ciro. I think it is Kerbalism. 

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

IIRC, when I tweaked Ciro's sunflare into the bloated monstrosity it is, it was something in the scatterer config. You had a page on it somewhere in here, but just plugging in guesses on my end doesn't seem to be having any effect yet. 

Yes, if you have Scatterer installed, I think you need to change the size of the sunflare in the scatterer config.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about that; that's Galileo's domain.  Changing sunAU or brightestCurve in Grannus.cfg will change the stock sunflare, but the stock sunflare is disabled when scatterer is installed.

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That's Scatterer_sunflare > Ciro (and Grannus) > flareSettings & spikeSettings inside the GPP_Scatterer config. Divide the third number by the rescale factor or divide further to make these elements larger. This only matters when you are within the respective star's SOI. If you scale them to compensate for vast distances then they will appear absurdly huge when you're near them.

If, for instance you (or Ohio, haha) scale Grannus' sunflare to be in any pleasing amount visible from Gael........and then you put Gael around Grannus and step outside at the KSC literally all you will see is sunflare. You will need SPF One Zillion.

bed6c1709c8b7dc045960786f601ab81.jpg

5 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Yes, if you have Scatterer installed, I think you need to change the size of the sunflare in the scatterer config.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about that; that's Galileo's domain.  Changing sunAU or brightestCurve in Grannus.cfg will change the stock sunflare, but the stock sunflare is disabled when scatterer is installed.

I have already implemented code into GPP to scale the sunflares with Sigma. It will be included in the next update

8 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

If, for instance you (or Ohio, haha) scale Grannus' sunflare to be in any pleasing amount visible from Gael........and then you put Gael around Grannus and step outside at the KSC literally all you will see is sunflare. You will need SPF One Zillion.

Eeeeeeeeexcellent #evuls

Side side note: what would "low over Grannus" science alt be in 6.4c?

51 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Ok - My thermal GUI says that insolation is 0.15 and luminosity is 42 from low Gael orbit. I am also getting these Ciro .CFGs:

sunAU = 13982766706
                    luminosity = 1360

So for some reason, the AU seems to have not been rescaled by sigma dimensions. I am in 10.6257x - shouldn't Ciro's AU be increased by this value?

Also, I cheated my station to Grannus orbit at 1 AU (14 Gm based on the config) and there was no solar irradiance at all - it is only picking up Ciro. I think it is Kerbalism. 

Without Kerbalism installed, at a distance of 1 AU I'm getting 1360 around Ciro and 42 around Grannus, and that's regardless of what scale I'm playing at.

If the AU wasn't being rescaled, then going from 1x to 10.6257x should reduce the flux to, 1360 / 10.6257^2 = 12, not 42.  The only way I can see you getting 42 is if it's somehow pulling that number from Grannus.cfg.

My guess is that Kopernicus is making Grannus the 'active star' (as ShotgunNinja called it).  This might explain why Kerbalism is using Grannus' luminoisity.  It might also explain why solar panels are producing their specified chargeRate at 1 AU from Grannus rather than 1 AU from Ciro.

@Thomas P., @Sigma88, @ShotgunNinja, any idea what we need to do to fix this?

Edited by OhioBob

14 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

As a temporary patch I will just set Grannus; Luminosity to 1360 then - I won't be out there any time soon anyways. 

That's probably what we'll end up doing in the next update if a more satisfactory fix is not found.  It's by no means ideal, but I think it will fix all the problems we're having in and around Ciro's neighborhood.  Once you make the change, please let me know how it works out.

@MaxL_1023 I would speculate that you have some issue in your install. Something else interfering. Because I can't reproduce the greenhouse thing, and because your 'thermal debug' show radically different values than it should (and these readings are not influenced by Kerbalism in any way). Could you try a fresh install, GPP + its dependencies only, and see the thermal debug readings. Then add Kerbalism + its dependencies and see the greenhouse readings.

@OhioBob Can you elaborate on the solar panel output issue? In particular: does it happen only in stock? or with Kerbalism? I'm asking because I got right solar panel outputs in the test I just did at 1AU from Ciro.

2 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@OhioBob Can you elaborate on the solar panel output issue? In particular: does it happen only in stock? or with Kerbalism? I'm asking because I got right solar panel outputs in the test I just did at 1AU from Ciro.

The solar panel bug occurs when there are multiple stars of different luminosities.

Each solar panel has a chargeRate specified in its config.  For instance, the chargeRate of a 3x2 panel is 1.64.  From all the experiments I've run, I've determined that this is the charge rate that we get at the home world.  The luminosity and sunAU specified in the star config are irrelevant.  At the distance of the home world we get the charge rate specified in the solar panel config.  (Remember that the units of electrical charge in KSP are unspecified, so they could be anything.)  As we move closer to or farther away from the star, the charge rate changes according to the inverse-square-law. 

When a second star is added you would think that the charge rate at the home world would stay the same, and the charge rate at the second star would increase or decrease based on the ratio of the luminosities of the stars.  But with Ciro and Grannus, that's not happening.  Even though the home world orbits Ciro, we're obtaining the specified charge rate while in orbit around Grannus, not Ciro.  And instead of getting a reduced charge rate around Grannus, the charge rate around Ciro is increased by the ratio of the luminosities.

For example, the luminosities of Ciro and Grannus are 1360 an 42 respectively, and the distance of the home world (Gael) from Ciro is roughly 14 Gm.  (Although we have sunAU = Gael's SMA, this makes no difference;  what matters is the home world's SMA, not sunAU.)  So if we put a 3x2 solar panel in orbit around Grannus at a distance of 14 Gm, we get a charge rate of 1.64 as specified in the config (though in practice this number fluctuates for reasons I don't fully understand).  If we put the same solar panel in orbit around Ciro at 14 Gm we get a charge rate of, 1.64*1360/42 = 53.  Changing the luminosities makes no difference, the result is always the same (the actual value of the luminosity is irrelevant, all that matters is the ratio).

Everything I've just described happens in stock.  I have not run any tests with Kerbalism installed, so I don't know what happens in that instance.  @MaxL_1023 can probably help with that.

I think you are probably getting the correct solar panel output around Ciro because the solar flux is only 42 rather than 1360 as it should be.  You have two wrongs cancelling each other out to give a correct answer.

Edited by OhioBob

The invention of elongated orange fuel tanks has greatly assisted the space program's progress, enabling a single-Kerbal launch to Ceti with a rocket which almost resembles a safe and effective design!

Ceti%20on%20Pad_zpsba9uf7zm.png

Bob Kerman managed to plant a flag without blowing it up - I guess that extra training paid off. 

Landed%20at%20Ceti_zps4rzhpank.png

I did it single-launch style, since Kerbals don't know the meaning of the term "reduced launch mass." Also, the FASA Agena engine might be a little too good - 390s Vacuum ISP on a 1.25m chassis, and twice the thrust of a Terrier.