[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

Totally random question, but does anyone have experience of using these jump beacons to get to from Gael to Grannus? How hard/costly is it? ( @JadeOfMaar I blame you for this thought! But how cool would it be if it was possible to establish an expensive but fast jump between stars? :o )

Also, anyone want to tip me off on Karborundum locations, since this beacon system apparently needs it to run? ¬_¬

...Extraplanetary Launch Pads might be my friend in this playthrough too... /drunkenrambling

Edited by eddiew

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

@JadeOfMaar I blame you for this thought!

Is it bad that this statement brings me satisfaction? It's pretty nice that you found a new and potentially very popular use for Karborundum in GPP. I can't tell you what the locations are since I'm the one who set them and I want people to find it themselves :sticktongue: 

There are 5 locations, though.....and 2 of them are as obvious as it gets. @Norcalplanner is on the ball with another possible location. :wink: 

15 hours ago, Wagoo said:

Happily enough, I don't have to ask for tech support, only modding advice- everything's working fine as intended on Galileo's part. Congrats on this planet pack, it's one of the best.

That being said, I intend to start a hardcore career game (Kerbal Construction time, REPOSoft, Life Support) using Sigma88's Galactic Neighborhood (kudos Sigma) for maximum mission distance. I tested my setup in sandbox, and there were no issues from traditional mod conflicts. However, when I got to your work, the body descriptions were all still from the perspective of Gaelans looking above from Gael. (This actually occurs with a lot of the body descriptions as well, since a lot of planet packs are no longer orbiting Kerbol or even known about at the start of the game thanks to REPOSoft.) I'm also a fan of the new names, but I miss Jeb and co., yet also want to keep the new additions.

My questions are:

1. Where is the description of the GPP bodies located so I can edit them to be from Kerbin's perspective?

2. This is a longshot, but how can I bring Jeb and co. back while also merging the stock and Gaelan names together? I saw above that there is a way to revert it back to the stock naming system, but if there's a way to have the best of both worlds and have Galileo Gaelan and Jeb on the same mission, I'll gladly do it.

3. What should I do to get rid of the GPP suit textures? I'm using Texture Replacer Replaced, and prefer its default suit over GPP's (no offense!).

1. I would suggest you to write a mm patch to change the descriptions of the bodies rather than editing the cfgs themselves

just create a cfg with this inside:

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
	@Body[XXX]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			@description = YYY
		}
	}
}

where XXX is the name of the body, and YYY is the new description

(you can add more than one, so that you can change all planets)

also, when you have finished them send them over to me, if I like what I see I might be interested in adding them to GN (unless @Galileo wants to write some custom ones himself)

2. you can remove the renamer to get back the old "Kerman" names

if you leave the renamer you have 2 options:

preserveOriginals = false

you will get 6 starting veterans (Galileo / Jade / Bobert / Poody / Raging / Sigma - Gaelan) and the 4 stock veterans will be simple applicants (Jebediah / Bill / Bob / Valentina - Gaelan)

preserveOriginals = true

you will get 4 starting veterans (Jebediah / Bill / Bob / Valentina - Gaelan) and 6 custom applicants (Galileo / Jade / Bobert / Poody / Raging / Sigma - Gaelan)

3. just don't install Sigma Replacements: Suits and you won't have any issues on that side

Edited by Sigma88

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Is it bad that this statement brings me satisfaction? It's pretty nice that you found a new and potentially very popular use for Karborundum in GPP. I can't tell you what the locations are since I'm the one who set them and I want people to find it themselves :sticktongue: 

There are 5 locations, though.....and 2 of them are as obvious as it gets. @Norcalplanner is on the ball with another possible location. :wink: 

Totes on the radiation planet whose name I have apparently forgotten due to PTSD about the whole affair ¬_¬ 

I guess an alternative is to edit the jump beacons so they don't need complex fuels, but weigh like 1000 tons. Getting a kiloton to Grannus... ouch. Or RP it, place a beacon somewhere in each solar system and not manufacture any more.

8 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

@eddiew Karborundum is a bit unique in that there's no way (that I know of) to scan and map it on a permanent basis, unlike most of the other CRP resources. You have to have the scanner window open and be watching it as you explore to find where it is.

Ain't gonna lie, that sounds painful :P  Does it at least act like ore in that it's randomly distributed per game, but stays fixed within that game?

@eddiew It's easy to spot Karborundum as described by Norcal. Keep its scanner window open and warp to Pe (make sure you have a very low Pe)...Or drag the Pe slider in HyperEdit's Orbital tools. For planets (and no moons) if you find the Karborundum band in space, then you'll find it on the surface, and vice versa if you teleport and land everywhere.

Be sure to check every planet. :wink: Again, there are 5 places. And yes, it will behave like Ore as you described.

I mean, if I was designing the pack, it'd be...

• hottest planet
  • biggest planet
  • furthest planet from the sun
  • skimmable from one of the gas giants' atmosphere
  • homeworld or it's moon(s)

Give me 3 months and I'll have figured out how alike we think :P

19 minutes ago, eddiew said:

• hottest planet
  • biggest planet

What about close to the sun and/or in a certain orbit around the sun (like an asteroid field)?

22 minutes ago, eddiew said:

• hottest planet
  • biggest planet

Close, but never the homeworld or its moons. Why bother keeping anything challenging if the Karborundum is in the soil around the KSC?

1 minute ago, Sigma88 said:

What about close to the sun and/or in a certain orbit around the sun (like an asteroid field)?

That's normal. Ciro has a Karborundum band (well, more like a sphere) And that should be no secret.

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That's normal. Ciro has a Karborundum band (well, more like a sphere) And that should be no secret.

The trick is designing a craft that won't overheat and explode while down at the requisite altitude above Ciro. Especially if your craft has any parts with a heat tolerance of only 1200K.

15 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

1. I would suggest you to write a mm patch to change the descriptions of the bodies rather than editing the cfgs themselves

just create a cfg with this inside:

{
	@Body[XXX]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			@description = YYY
		}
	}
}

where XXX is the name of the body, and YYY is the new description

(you can add more than one, so that you can change all planets)

also, when you have finished them send them over to me, if I like what I see I might be interested in adding them to GN (unless @Galileo wants to write some custom ones himself)

Thanks for the advice Sigma.

On that note, I can't message anything due to not having put out enough content/postings on the forums, so I can't send you the cfg. Considering these descriptions have to do with GPP, I've decided to go and post it here for viewing for anyone interested.

Let me know if there's any formatting issues.

{
    @Body[Icarus]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = It was hard to locate Icarus due to its size and its proximity to Ciro. Its appearence inspires roughness, and a visit would be as rough as its appearence. The ability to get here and back without bankrupting the space program, melting, or upsetting Bob would be treated with great prestige.
        }
    }
    @Body[Thalia]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = After first tracking Thalia as a red glimmer, some Kerbal scientists managed to get a proper image and quickly considered early retirement. Although it lacks considerably in gravity, its terrain will effectively repel a lander without proper engineering. The current theory on how it obtained its appearance was that its former atmosphere was rich in combustible materials, and an asteroid impact ignited it- as if Kerbals weren't nervous enough when an asteroid gets too close to Kerbin!
        }
    }
    @Body[Eta]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = As far as we know, this is the most petite body in the Ciro system. A running joke is that its relationship to Thalia is the same as the guardian of Bop (the mythological Kraken home, not the moon of Jool).
        }
    }
    @Body[Niven]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = The beautiful orange atmosphere made jaws drop on first observation. Since Niven is closer to Ciro, it's probably going to have issues with keeping cool, requiring the use of multiple ice packs or radiators.
        }
    }
    @Body[Gael]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = A terrestial planet that is incredibly similar to Kerbin (even having the same diameter and gravity), but different enough in appearence that we didn't mistake it for something else... again. It's perfect for colonization!
        }
    }
    @Body[Iota]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = The easiest thing to spot from Gael's sky. Its smooth yet gritty textures and neutral colors have made it associated with the popular snack brand it shares its name with.
        }
    }
    @Body[Ceti]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = This is another moon in orbit of Gael, albeit an ugly looking one. The revelation of its higher mass and gravity than Iota has made it commonly called the anti-Minmus. Meanwhile, its visuals have made a dent in our supply of barf bags.
        }
    }
    @Body[Tellumo]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = The concepts of worlds with rings was foreign to Kerbin until their discovery. But to find one in a planet so close to being habitable! Little can accelerate contract funding more than a place kerbonauts can take off their helmets and breathe the air... and then we found out how strong the gravity is. Drat.
        }
    }
    @Body[Lili]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = Lili is one of three things- either a captured asteroid that orbits inside the rings, parts of the rings that have clumped together over time, or the remains of a former moon, with the rest of it being part of the rings. The betting pool over the truth has gotten almost as large as Lili itself.
        }
    }
    @Body[Gratian]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = In decades past, an imaginative Kerbal authored stories of a galaxy very much similar to ancient Kerbin in politics. Unfortunately, these stories remained hidden until after his passing. Gratian is named after the titular planet most of the stories revolved around, courtesy of how eerily similar it looks. On a related note, please don't make jokes about controlling the spice meaning controlling the universe.
        }
    }
    @Body[Geminus]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = Ignoring its incline, this black pearl (named after a moon in a popular literary series) is in geosynchronous orbit of its planet, causing it to appear tidally locked. If it were just a bit bigger, it'd be another binary system. Wait, wouldn't that have made Geminus a Gemini?
        }
    }
    @Body[Otho]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = This gas giant is a very mellow and very yellow entity. The sight of it is truly breathtaking; even the rowdiest of Kerbals quiets down when their gaze falls upon this planet.
        }
    }
    @Body[Augustus]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = This moon has two notable aspects about it. Everything is some shade of tangerine, and its atmosphere is capable of supporting parachutes and jet engines, a rarity for atmospheres of its type.
        }
    }
    @Body[Hephaestus]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = The terrain of this moon looks as if it suffered a great impact or earthquake in the past. The shape of its most notable geographic feature has reminded many of a wound that has burst and oozed out some sort of pus.
        }
    }
    @Body[Jannah]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = Jannah seems analogous to the one kerblet whose peers never mind, or who always avoids the main group. Either way, the orbital inclination makes it harder to reach out to this moon.
        }
    }
    @Body[Gauss]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = A lesser sized gas giant- or is it? This particularly restless blue planet is home to more than one superstorm and regularly exercises immense electromagnetic powers. Watch for its orbit... unless you dare to dive into it.
        }
    }
    @Body[Loki]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = Loki is a surprisingly unremarkable moon in orbit of a gas giant. Depending on where it and said giant are in their orbit, the two get dangerously close together. Caution is advised.
        }
    }
    @Body[Catullus]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = The discovery of this double-natured body came as nothing short of perplexing. It displays properties of both an inhabitable planet and a gas giant! The scientific community has been butting heads about its mysteries, but the aviation community has found one mind and declared flight within at the top of their to-do list.
        }
    }
    @Body[Tarsiss]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = Going by the nature of its orbit, Tarsiss is a moon of a moon. It also has an atmosphere best described as "Kerbin without the oxygen."
        }
    }
    @Body[Nero]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = This magnificent gas giant is noted to look quite powerful and stately, and its rings are in a uniquely oblique orbit. Some Kerbals have gathered in the belief that all coolness lies in Nero's domain, filled with corporeal snacks none can fathom.
        }
    }
    @Body[Hadrian]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = A moon with oceans so cold it's hard to figure out how the water isn't frozen. Really now, how come it's not a slushy treat just waiting to be sipped?
        }
    }
    @Body[Narisse]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = This moon has been politely described as a malformed snack by the scientist who found it, who happened to be munching on one at the same time of that declaration. Seriously though, Narisse is tiny, how was it even noticed?
        }
    }
    @Body[Muse]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = The topography of this moon is one of the more intriguing seen in space. Conventional science can't explain how Muse got its enormous swept gorges or white-ish patches. Remarks that the Kraken tried to play with it are not appreciated.
        }
    }
    @Body[Minona]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = Another gorgeous moon, albeit one roughed up on one side like the stain on Linus's shirt. Nonetheless, sightseeing trips here will prove quite fulfilling.
        }
    }
    @Body[Agrippina]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = A beautiful green and gray planetoid which lurks near the outer reaches of Nero's influence. Given its size, the scientific community hasn't yet confirmed if Aggripina was captured or formed locally and somehow got kicked to a higher orbit.
        }
    }
    @Body[Julia]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = A seemingly normal moon with a notable surprise. Besides its orbit suggesting it was captured, splotches of color splatter all over the normally gray, Mun-like surface. The Kerbin Astronomical Society is utterly baffled by this mystery.
        }
    }
    @Body[Hox]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = While Hox's atmosphere isn't one that can support life as Kerbin knows it, it is one that can support aerodynamic flight. It has been the number two destination on every daredevil aviator's bucket list ever since.
        }
    }
    @Body[Argo]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = Argo's uniquely inclined orbit is arguably it's only noticeable aspect. Engineers at the KSC have called it "more boring than Dres."
        }
    }
    @Body[Leto]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = As far as we can tell, Leto is the furthest planet from Ciro, and is as unremarkable as a hard-to-reach dirty snowball can be. Going by gravitational forces however, something not a planet or moon is orbiting Ciro. So we owe Leto for that bit of information at least.
        }
    }
    @Body[Grannus]
    {
        @Properties
        {
            @description = As long as Kerbin has known the light, they have known about a little red glimmer that wasn't the red dot that you can see if you squint at it really hard. It wasn't known to be in orbit of Ciro until now though. Sadly, Grannus has no orbital bodies to call its own. 
        }
    }
}

Edited by Wagoo
Capitalization and misspelling fix.

The stock game does capitalize Kerbals. From Kerbin's info:

Home to the Kerbals, it has just the right conditions to support a vast, seemingly undepletable population of the eager green creatures.

That being said, I forgot to capitalize my use of Kerbals in Thalia's description. I've fixed that now via an edit.

Finally built a mid-sized plane using my new parts pack, Thor Tech, and flew it to test the 3m VTOL engine's capability on Niven, Augustus (and any Duna-like world). I need to rebalance it as it failed (or needs excess tweaking) between Gael sea level and sea level on these worlds. Why I made this mod is so I (and anyone interested) can:

• Do nearly as much with air and electric engines as they can with Karbonite-- without Karbonite, and have great fun and get things done with GPP's many atmospheres
  • Have interesting and capable new early-game means to get around on Gael
  • Have access to uber WarpJet late-game engines without having to install OPT Spaceplane Parts

Maybe I should apologize for advertising? Would ordinary kerbals invent this? :P :cool: #GaeleanMasterRace 

Vertical speed < 1m/s but currently too much TWR.

h1Ulec3.jpg

4B0pqLl.jpg

Just when I teleport to Augustus, it's eclipsed by Otho.

3zb90SP.jpg

Could have hovered higher but didn't bring enough intakes.

rVlY2Kh.jpg

Bit random, but does anyone have a rule of thumb for surface temperatures at various orbits around Grannus? See, I've added OPM and tweaked it a bit...

6ubcvOW.jpg

...and yes, I've pinched @KerikBalm's Rald again to be my inner planet. I'd like that to be a sensible distance for ~10-20 degrees C, and Sarnus to be anywhere below freezing, since it has rather icy looking moons, but I have no idea how to guesstimate how warm each one will end up reading when scienced :<

31 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Bit random, but does anyone have a rule of thumb for surface temperatures at various orbits around Grannus? See, I've added OPM and tweaked it a bit...

A body at X distance from Grannus will have the same temperature as a body at 5.7X distance from Ciro.

Edited by OhioBob

10 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

A body at X distance from Grannus will have the same temperature as a body at 5.7X distance from Ciro.

Marvs, thank you! :)

...Sarnus might be about right then. Rald is at 4gm, so also not a 'million miles out'... :wink:

Edited by eddiew

@eddiew, if you what to get even more specific, you can compute the body's black body temperature using,

{\displaystyle T={\sqrt[{4}]{\frac {L(1-a)}{16\pi \sigma D^{2}}}}}

where L is the star's luminosity (Watts), a is the body's albedo, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant (5.6704E-08 Wm-2K-4), and D is the body's distance (meters).  For Ciro, L= 3.3415E+24 W, and for Grannus, L = 1.030E+23 W.

Black body temperature will get you in the ballpark, but it's not exact.  For an atmospheric body you have to add for the greenhouse effect.  Earth's greenhouse effect raises the temperature about 34 K, while on Mars it's about 8 K, and on Venus it's about 500 K.

On 11/16/2016 at 11:55 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Sigma Replacements

• For high quality Gaelean heads, suits, navballs and Skyboxes install Sigma Replacements. This mod suite is our official replacement to TextureReplacer and allows easier and more convenient installation of kerbal heads, suits, navballs and skyboxes. 

Hey Jade, are the sigma suit textures different from the TR-style ones? Could I use files from an old suitpack?

@Nightside You can use the same textures. They just need to be put in new directories and setup with a different sort of configNode. You'll find more Sigma suit conifg nodes for example in GPP/GPP_Replacements/Configs/Suits.cfg

If you need more help, click Sigma's signature and find his Discord server. :) 

Kerbal
	{
		Requirements
		{
			// Use only one per Kerbal {} node

veteran = true //applies to all vets
			name = Valentina Kerman //applies to just one
			trait = Pilot //applies to everyone with trait
		}
		Suit
		{
			bodyTex = GPP/GPP_Replacements/Suits/Textures/IVAvet
			bodyNrm = GPP/GPP_Replacements/Suits/Normals/IVAvet
		}
	}

Hey folks, 

For gameplay/RP/storyline purposes, I want to hide something in the L2 point on the far side of Iota. I've patched the SoI up to cover it, but does anyone happen to know Iota's orbital/rotational period down to the second? Currently using 22d 5h 37m as shown in-game, but after a few years, Kerbin emerges from the right side of Iota. If I add 5 seconds, it emerges from the left so... clearly I need to be quite precise :D 

9a4hhvU.jpg

13 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@eddiew You raised Iota's SOI and made the Broken Stargate geostationary? Epic! :)  @OhioBob should have a formula.

Kerbin. Eww. :D 

Lol, sorry! Gael, naturally.

...that's going to happen a lot for the first week or two isn't it :( 

But yeah, I noticed Iota is tidally locked, so a geostationary orbit completely hides it from Kerbin Gael until kerbals gaeleans become a spacefaring species worthy of finding it :)  Tbh, if I have to, I'll Hyperedit the darn thing back into place every year, but if there happens to be a precise orbital period that'll lock it for me, I'd rather use that.