[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

16 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Semi-Synchronous Orbital Height = ( ( ( Grav. Constant * Body Mass ) * ( Body Sidereal Period / 2 ) ^2 ) / ( 4 * pi^2 ) ) ^ ( 1/3 ) - Body Radius

Grav Constant = 6.67408 × 10-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2

17 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Semi-synchronous? No. That kind of thing would be nice to have, as you mention it.

Using kOS and the formula above, here are the numbers. They might be wrong, I haven't checked all of them, and some might be outside the SoI!

Body Synchronous orbit (m) Semi-synchronous orbit (m)
Ciro 2,040,603,107 1,259,234,003
Icarus 8,266,993 5,148,673
Thalia 2,772,424 1,646,607
*Eta 2,221,469 1,377,235
Niven 2,934,783 1,700,782
Gael 2,862,897 1,581,488
*Iota 3,628,421 2,248,758
*Ceti 11,046,838 6,903,566
Tellumo 10,612,203 6,315,230
*Lili 811 -2,079 (really!)
Gratian 9,749,877 5,938,516
*Geminus 3,597,036 2,180,882
Otho 15,729,889 8,614,071
*Augustus 2,772,134 1,616,821
*Hephaestus 1,412,471 843,546
*Jannah 2,489,364 1,529,347
Gauss 15,660,249 8,940,240
*Loki 1,291,553 747,020
*Catullus 32,206,597 19,844,837
**Tarsiss 1,106,245 578,478
Nero 16,138,905 8,316,675
*Hadrian 2,322,510 1,352,078
*Narisse 1,048,974 627,509
*Muse 2,926,139 1,795,247
*Minona 4,322,177 2,678,396
*Agrippina 199,075 106,908
*Julia 133,190 72,804
Hox 1,839,783 1,066,481
*Argo 3,603,987 2,240,767
Leto 639,619 325,226

Grannus isn't listed because it needed like a thousand antennas to reach Gael...

The kOS equations, in case someone finds it in them to double-check this:

Synchronous orbit: round((((constant:g * body:mass) * body:rotationperiod^2) / (4 * constant:pi^2)) ^ (1 / 3) - body:radius).

Semi-synchronous: round((((constant:g * body:mass) * (body:rotationperiod / 2)^2) / (4 * constant:pi^2)) ^ (1 / 3) - body:radius).

Edited by Black-Two-

I noticed the Gael length of day as reported in the Tracking Station is 5h 59m 9s instead of the 1 day (6h) it should report. The Kopernicus config says the correct number of seconds (21600), but for some reason it's different in the Tracking Station.

2 hours ago, Tyko said:

I noticed the Gael length of day as reported in the Tracking Station is 5h 59m 9s instead of the 1 day (6h) it should report. The Kopernicus config says the correct number of seconds (21600), but for some reason it's different in the Tracking Station.

I don't know if that's a bug or not, but I'm going to assume it's correct.

Ask yourself this question:  "How many degrees does the Earth rotate in '1 day'?"  If you said 360 degrees, you're wrong - at least when you define '1 day' as the time from noon today until noon tomorrow.  The Earth rotates slightly less than 360 degrees.  There's two types of day:  a solar day (measured against the sun being in the same location in the sky) and a sidereal day, which is measured against the stars.  On Earth, there's about a 4 minute difference between the solar day (noon to noon) and the sidereal day (360 degrees) because during that one day, the earth is moving almost 1 degree around its orbit, so the direction that points to the sun also changes by about 1 degree.

On Gael, which has a day about 25% of Earth's, a 1 minute difference between the solar and sidereal days seems about right.

Edited by AG5BPilot

3 hours ago, Black-Two- said:

Grannus isn't listed because it needed like a thousand antennas to reach Gael...

No. It only needs one antenna. Maybe two.

Spoiler

JX2LDA.png

Also, thanks for the data. It's greatly appreciated. I must check out some of these for myself. :)

2 hours ago, Tyko said:

@AG5BPilot's explanation is correct.  All the rotation periods that you see in the Tracking Station are the sidereal periods.  This is the time is takes a body to rotate 360 degrees on its axis in relation to the stars.  Gael's solar day, i.e. the time that it takes the sun to return to the same meridian in the sky, is exactly 6 hours.

There is always one more sidereal day in a year than there are solar days.  Gael's year is exactly 426 solar days, or 427 sidereal days.  Since it's solar day is 6 hours, or 21600 seconds, it's sidereal day is,

426 * 21600 / 427 = 21549.4145 seconds = 5h 59m 9.4145s

The value of the rotationPeriod parameter in Gael's config is different than it is for all the other bodies, so that may be causing some confusion.  For every body but Gael, the value of rotationPeriod is the sidereal period, but for Gael it is the length of the solar day.  This is either because (1) Gael uses a Kerbin template, or (2) Gael is defined as the home world.  I haven't figured out which of those two is the governing factor, but rotationPeriod is hardcoded differently when we have a Kerbin/homeworld planet.  This is because for the home world we are more interested in the length of the solar day (as this is what clocks and calendars use).  So rather than having to do some math to figure out what the sidereal period must be to produce a specific solar day, somebody just coded it so the value entered is the solar day, from which the sidereal period is calculated.**

**  This wasn't always the case.  There was a time when Kerbin had a 6-hour sidereal period, which gave it a solar day a little over 6 hours.  This made the solar day out of sync with the game clock/calendar.  Squad realized their mistake an fixed it, but I don't remember which version it was.

Edited by OhioBob

25 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

@AG5BPilot's explanation is correct.  All the rotation periods that you see in the Tracking Station are the sidereal periods.  This is the time is takes a body to rotate 360 degrees on its axis in relation to the stars.  Gael's solar day, i.e. the time that it takes the sun to return to the same meridian in the sky, is exactly 6 hours.

There is always one more sidereal day in a year than there are solar days.  Gael's year is exactly 426 solar days, or 427 sidereal days.  Since it's solar day is 6 hours, or 21600 seconds, it's sidereal day is,

426 * 21600 / 427 = 21549.4145 seconds = 5h 59m 9.4145s

The value of the rotationPeriod parameter in Gael's config is different than it is for all the other bodies, so that may be causing some confusion.  For every body but Gael, the value of rotationPeriod is the sidereal period, but for Gael it is the length of the solar day.  This is either because (1) Gael uses a Kerbin template, or (2) Gael is defined as the home world.  I haven't figured out which of those two is the governing factor, but rotationPeriod is hardcoded differently when we have a Kerbin/homeworld planet.  This is because for the home world we are more interested in the length of the solar day (as this is what clocks and calendars use).  So rather than having to do some math to figure out what the sidereal period must be to produce a specific solar day, somebody just coded it so that value entered is the solar day, from which the sidereal period is calculated.**

**  This wasn't always the case.  There was a time when Kerbin had a 6-hour sidereal period, which gave it a solar day a little over 6 hours.  This made the solar day out of sync with the game clock/calendar.  Squad realized their mistake an fixed it, but I don't remember which version it was.

Thanks! I only caught the difference because I was trying to tweak the Supplies consumption rates for USI-LS which is using solar days, but I was doing my math off the sidereal day readout from Tracking Station.

I appreciate your and @AG5BPilot's responses.

By the way @OhioBob, the amount of knowledge you freely share and the amount of time you must spend writing these detailed responses is just incredible. I've learned so much from reading your posts. Thanks! :D

Edited by Tyko

13 minutes ago, Tyko said:

By the way @OhioBob, the amount of knowledge you freely share and the amount of time you must spend writing these detailed responses is just incredible. I've learned so much from reading your posts. Thanks! :D

I appreciate you saying that.  I'm always happy to share whatever little tidbits of knowledge I've gained over the years.  It also helps being retired, I've got plenty of time on my hands.

5 hours ago, Black-Two- said:

Synchronous orbit: round((((constant:g * body:mass) * body:rotationperiod^2) / (4 * constant:pi^2)) ^ (1 / 3) - body:radius).

Semi-synchronous: round((((constant:g * body:mass) * (body:rotationperiod / 2)^2) / (4 * constant:pi^2)) ^ (1 / 3) - body:radius).

Here's another way of doing it, which might be easier in some cases.  If you know the synchronous orbit, which is often documented, then you can compute the semi-synchronous orbit thus,

Semi-synchronous altitude = 0.629960525 * (synchronous orbit altitude + body radius) - body radius

The numerical factor comes courtesy of Johannes Kepler, who figured out that Period2 is proportional to Distance3.  Therefore,

Dsemi-synchronous / Dsynchronous = (Psemi-synchronous / Psynchronous)2/3 = (0.5)2/3 = 0.629960525

Edited by OhioBob

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

Also its worth noting that when this was "fixed" for Kerbin, it then screwed up the Sidereal Year length so now the calendar year of Kerbin and orbital period of Kerbin do not align... this causes any orbital synchronicity to become skewed the further you go into a game save (until you go long enough that it starts to come back into 1 year out of alignment).

Bob and I decided for Gael that we would ensure that it does not exhibit this "feature" so the SMA was calculated correctly so that the Solar Year ties into 1 exact orbital period.

EDIT: The above is also why we have to change Gael's SMA ever so slightly for the rescaled configs as we have different length days for those resize scales... ensuring that the Solar Year and Sidereal Period match up.

Edited by Poodmund

59 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Bob and I decided for Gael that we would ensure that it does not exhibit this "feature" so the SMA was calculated correctly so that the Solar Year ties into 1 exact orbital period.

GPP is calibrated to be dead-on balls accurate. :D

4 minutes ago, EasyAce said:

I can't get GPP to run. I think I have some incompatible mods running side-by-side but I don't manage to reason out which one.

Anyone knows, or can share a list of incompatible mods?

Please provide all logs available to you, the process can be found here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/140580-131-kopernicus-release-2-oct-07/&page=27#comment-2793409

So for anyone that wants to play GPP but cant handle the  performance loss with visual effects (EVE, Scatterer), go ahead and install them, and give this cfg a try: HERE Just drop it anywhere in your GameData folder

It removes all volumetric clouds resulting in much better performance. Like, a lot better performance. The only downside is the immersion might be lost a little, but it's worth it if you want the extra frames. I use it, and I have an amazing pc. Its just nice to have that overhead if I need it, and it keeps my video card happy :)  Enjoy!

Edited by Galileo

I'm getting some weird grid-like effect on the ground textures when using GPP. I don't get these in pure stock, nor with only Kopernicus loaded. I've changed around graphics settings to no avail. They also seem to disappear when close to the ground or very far away.

No grid when zoomed in

Transition from gridless to grid

It's also on the water

Zooming out further than this makes the phenomenon disappear

2 hours ago, Haiya-Dragon said:

I'm getting some weird grid-like effect on the ground textures when using GPP. I don't get these in pure stock, nor with only Kopernicus loaded. I've changed around graphics settings to no avail. They also seem to disappear when close to the ground or very far away.

No grid when zoomed in

Transition from gridless to grid

It's also on the water

Zooming out further than this makes the phenomenon disappear

Stop forcing dx11. Read the known issues in the OP before posting, not just for this mod, but for any mod.

Edited by Galileo

Logs are here

In loading a fresh 1.3.1, Kopernicus .2, and GPP 1.5.3, seeing these errors (were not there with Kopernicus alone):

Spoiler

[LOG 11:28:04.424] [OD] --> ScaledSpaceDemand.LoadTextures loading GPP/GPP_Textures/Iota00 and GPP/GPP_Textures/Iota01
[LOG 11:28:04.425] [OD] --> ScaledSpaceDemand.LoadTextures loading GPP/GPP_Textures/Gael00 and GPP/GPP_Textures/Gael01
[ERR 11:28:04.429] Exception handling event onNewGameLevelLoadRequestWasSanctionedAndActioned in class RuntimeUtility:System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
  at Kopernicus.StorageComponent.Get[Int32] (System.String id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Storage.Get[Int32] (.CelestialBody body, System.String id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.<Awake>b__1_0 (GameScenes scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 11:28:04.431] InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
    Kopernicus.StorageComponent.Get[Int32] (System.String id)
    Kopernicus.Storage.Get[Int32] (.CelestialBody body, System.String id)
    Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.<Awake>b__1_0 (GameScenes scene)
    EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`1:Fire(GameScenes)
    <FireLoadedEvent>c__Iterator6C:MoveNext()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Thanks

Hello guys!

I have one question, probabply not correct but anyway. Can I make Galileo as another extrasolar system without replacing stock system? And of course, how can I do that? There are a lot of config files and I can't understand how to do that. I can explain why I want to do this. I have mods that add planets and star systems. This is Outerplanets, Kronkus, Extrasolar, Otherworld and Galileo. So, If I use Galileo with other star system like Extrasolar or Otherworld, Galileo becomes another star system whithout replacing stock Kerbol System. But, with using Outerplanet mod with this mods, Outerplanet mode are started to set into of galileo's star orbit. Doesn't add new planets in stock system. If I remove Galileo I'll lose Galileo star system but all other mods will start to work as they has to work. I don't want to lose such  star system as Ciro. A little messy, but I hope it is clear

5 minutes ago, DuskFall said:

Hello guys!

I have one question, probabply not correct but anyway. Can I make Galileo as another extrasolar system without replacing stock system? And of course, how can I do that? There are a lot of config files and I can't understand how to do that. I can explain why I want to do this. I have mods that add planets and star systems. This is Outerplanets, Kronkus, Extrasolar, Otherworld and Galileo. So, If I use Galileo with other star system like Extrasolar or Otherworld, Galileo becomes another star system whithout replacing stock Kerbol System. But, with using Outerplanet mod with this mods, Outerplanet mode are started to set into of galileo's star orbit. Doesn't add new planets in stock system. If I remove Galileo I'll lose Galileo star system but all other mods will start to work as they has to work. I don't want to lose such  star system as Ciro. A little messy, but I hope it is clear

Look through the readme and read what GPP_Secondary does. :wink:

Just now, DuskFall said:

OK. May be my English is not perfect, does it mean that it's not possible? 

Just install GPP_Secondary.. all the information you are looking for is in the readme.

8 minutes ago, Galileo said:

GPP Secondary

This new addon mod makes GPP into a distant non-primary system, allowing users to keep Kerbin and the stock planets