[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

6 hours ago, Akira_R said:

There's a mod for that! (KSP catch phrase?)

Principia, it's actually really impressive they have a n-body simulation working and "playable" in game.

However as expected it makes the game far more complex, which makes the idea of playability a very relative thing lol. But it does allow you to do all sorts of cool things like orbiting Lagrange points, low energy resonance transfers and other such real world maneuvers, plus the problem of orbital drift and degradation due to the tug of the Mun and even other bodies. It also causes problems like the stock Jool system being unstable and falling apart after 15 days, so they had to modify it so it won't sling planetoids around the Kerbin system (at least not in the first 100 years), but it's still very chaotic https://github.com/mockingbirdnest/Principia/wiki/On-the-dynamical-stability-of-Principia's-modified-Jool-system.

But as you said it's a very niche thing lol.

Sorry for the off topic :/ I just think Principia is such an awesome project, i have an install with just it to just screw around in sometimes.

I soo need to try some Principia

28 minutes ago, eddiew said:

This feels unsafe...

mrJivjy.jpg

i need video proof of you doing this. Pics won't cut it for this one. You may want to download my kerbal heat tolerance patch a page or two back. :D

Better yet, here's the comment.

Edited by Galileo

19 minutes ago, Galileo said:

i need video proof of you doing this. Pics won't cut it for this one. You may want to download my kerbal heat tolerance patch a page or two back. :D

Better yet, here's the comment.

I don't really want to accept that contract, tbh. Would have to get insane delta-v on BOTH ships, let alone the heat issue :P

In other news, Scatterer is causing me a massive memory leak in the region of 1gb/s when in flight... On the up side, I get really good FPS without it, so swings and roundabouts.

Edited by eddiew

The Tarsiss 6 expedition arrived today at Tellumo. A detailed report is available here:

Tellumo Landing

One or two pictures ....

Assembly of the spaceplane in orbit. The claw then returns to the probe.

LyJE2EH.jpg

When I enter the atmosphere I activate the Airbrakes otherwise the spaceplane will move forward, which would not end well.

eWAMsOW.jpg

After landing I can not do anything on the surface (I have not taken any instruments), so I start again right
away. I build speed, pull up the nose, change into the closed mode and ignite the dart.

If the tanks are empty at the Rapiers, they are thrown away together with the Rapiers. The rest flies into the orbit with over 1000m/s dV left.

HdAknCD.jpg

The rest of the Spaceplane is now to dock at the probe again, refuel on Lilli and then go to Gratian. There it can be used as SSTO.

@Urses

This is an incredibly beautiful picture. I think it is Nero?

I do not use the patch to deflate the heat shield. This I only needed at Tellumo. All other landings are less critical, including Catullus. Due to the high atmosphere, you can quickly reduce speed without burning up. It is only necessary to reduce the speed before entering the atmosphere to 2000 m/s (Surface).

Again, really awesome picture ... Something for the desktop background!!! (better - something for the folder GPP/LoadingScreen/PluginData/LoadingScreenManager)

@Galileo

Is it possible that I simply insert pictures and they appear?

Greetings

Edited by astroheiko

5 hours ago, Urses said:

Ciro seems to dont shine through it is mirrowed in the rings?

Yeah blackrack is working in a fix. It's not too bad though. 

6 minutes ago, astroheiko said:

Greetings

Yep just make sure it's either png or jpg format. I reccomend jpg due to its smaller file size

Edited by Galileo

10 minutes ago, astroheiko said:

@Galileo

Greetings

This would be realy cool option!

Ah seen it's one!

And pls no:D

It's beautiful as it is! (I don't think bootyfull from autocorrekt is the right word :blush:)

Edited by Urses

11 hours ago, eddiew said:

I don't really want to accept that contract, tbh. Would have to get insane delta-v on BOTH ships, let alone the heat issue :P

In other news, Scatterer is causing me a massive memory leak in the region of 1gb/s when in flight... On the up side, I get really good FPS without it, so swings and roundabouts.

it needs a few more zeros at the end of that completion number.

Just adding some eye-candy of this epic mod in 10.6257X scale - Best shots of our career thus far...
ckP2Elq.png

This is Gaelputnik - First object to orbit Gael...

bIKlaMo.png

First probe to return from Gael Low Orbit...

LuBEtyK.png

GaelScan-I, The first probe in polar orbit (this shots is from 300km altitude)...

futa6pH.png

First flyby of Iota...

ZzNg501.png

First manned orbit (shot from an altitude of 5,000km apoapsis)...

EvGfhQV.png

First flyby of Ceti...

DfeoIMH.png

First Iota lander on sub-orbital approach...

RkSS5ro.png

First Iota lander on final...

9XKZbQ6.png

Launches at this scale are very epic...

DfyUjee.png

Just after booster separation...

ROdezo9.png

Clearing cloud level...

kRp6M14.png

The very long second stage burn to low orbit (it is typically 6-9 minutes from launch to low orbit; have to achieve 7,800m/s velocity)...

uGpti7o.png

And reentry is just as dramatic as the launches...

fvQsKpS.png

No space program is complete without the obligatory spy satellite being launched into orbit...

And we have launched several probes for various reasons, here they are...

fXXisaZ.png

gCyEAEb.png

GndR13r.png

Jgo4cVm.png

EtlZtLu.png

Is there a config for 10.6857x?

Also, does anyone know how to get the intakeair resource to stay available above ~48 km? My scramjet ran out of air when the intakes were still getting more than enough to run it at full power. 

1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Is there a config for 10.6857x?

Also, does anyone know how to get the intakeair resource to stay available above ~48 km? My scramjet ran out of air when the intakes were still getting more than enough to run it at full power. 

It's 10.6257x hahaaaa! Only @RocketPCGaming has that config. He made it himself. Also I don't think such an atmosphere patch is possible.

I can't get fast enough using Scramjets to make orbit possible using OMS-type engines - I should be able to hit at least 5 km/s but 3.5 is about as fast as I can get before air drag and heating becomes a big issue. I wanted to do a speedrun on a gradual rise from 40 to 60km, topping out at 7 km/s and 70-80km if possible. 

AFAIK a scramjet should work almost to the Karman line, as the velocity of flight offsets the low air density. 

@MaxL_1023 It's a technicality of KSP... Oxygen (and all atmospheric resources) taper off to 0% at about half the altitude from sea level to vacuum. I think I could develop a patch to enable your scramjet to operate at the Karman line. Let me know which one andwhat mod it's in. I'd sure like to be able to use this myself since you mentioned it.

37 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I can't get fast enough using Scramjets to make orbit possible using OMS-type engines - I should be able to hit at least 5 km/s but 3.5 is about as fast as I can get before air drag and heating becomes a big issue. I wanted to do a speedrun on a gradual rise from 40 to 60km, topping out at 7 km/s and 70-80km if possible. 

AFAIK a scramjet should work almost to the Karman line, as the velocity of flight offsets the low air density. 

From what I know of SCRAMjets, the limits you are hitting are right inline with IRL limitations, even facing the same brick wall; drag and heat. If materials are able to withstand the heat, the design optimized for drag and riding the perfect pressure curve, the theoretical limit of a SCRAmjet is about mach 15 (~4400m/s) at an altitude of 75km. There simply isn't enough oxygen and air pressure above that altitude for combustion, regardless of speed.

Thus far, the record is mach 9.6 (3,268m/s) at 29km altitude set by the X-41.

As for real scale SSTO options, rockets based on methalox if using Real Fuels is a viable option. 

@CatastrophicFailure ...........You were right about your solar panel problem. I should not be getting this must from this little stock thing, neither the proportionally insane amount from the Near Future solar panel. I'm seeing 34 ~ 56x rated EC production.

I'm suspicious of that new ring-shading Kopernicus dll.

59IVUar.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@CatastrophicFailure ...........You were right about your solar panel problem. I should not be getting this must from this little stock thing, neither the proportionally insane amount from the Near Future solar panel. I'm seeing 34 ~ 56x rated EC production.

I'm suspicious of that new ring-shading Kopernicus dll.

59IVUar.jpg

I'm not crazy! I'm not crazy! I'm NOT crazy! *chews fingers crazily*

Ahem, yes, well...

I never got a chance to verify myself, the newest version of Kerbalism supersedes the stock panel stuff, and that, at least, does seem to be working properly with everything. 

I just had that same issue - a 3x1 solar panel (from the 90 science node "electrics" I believe) was giving me 25.4 ec/s at Gael. I think it must be something to do with the .dll - I only had the issue when I updated to GPP 1.2.2 and installed it. 

Also, I somehow got captured into a stable orbit by Iota - my probe had done a satellite contract at about halfway out, so I ended up approaching from a very slightly smaller orbit (think a docking style phasing orbit) as I missed the first encounter (no flight planning yet in 10.6257x). Is this supposed to be possible, or is it just a patched conics issue?