[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

5 minutes ago, The Cuttlefish Empire said:

Hey! I've been working on my own planet pack, and I was wondering about somehow making mine (Imperial Planet Pack) compatible with yours. Would you be open to this?

Go for it dude. I can’t stop you from making it compatible :wink: 

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

also install KKtoSD. Be sure to reinstall Kerbal Konstructs too.

Very beautiful. Unfortunately, I then lost all of my ground comm stations. I verified that "Extra Groundstations" is enabled. I've turned my previous blindspot into the kingdom of the blind. Maybe I can use Texture Replacer to make a one-eyed Gaelan to be king?

Okay, crappy jokes aside, I'm a bit at a loss. I'd need to test if it persists in a new game. Techwise, I'm not very far along anyway, so starting over might be okay.

Also, can @JadeOfMaar add a note to the install instructions page under the "Scaled Versions" heading to be careful to grab KKtoSD along with Rescale! ?

Edited by danfarnsy

@danfarnsy in the difficulty settings, you need to disable ground stations in the KK settings, and restart the game. This is a quirk that is coded into KK and I really don’t understand it and have brought it up with the KK dev. They seem to want to please a very small group of players by forcing KK ground stations on the user (GPP doesn’t use KK ground stations), but have created a hassle for most normal users. Whatever, not my mod, I will just have to explain this all the time. Lol no biggie. Nobody knows the issue and thinks it’s just a bug, but if more ppl complained, I’m sure it would be changed.

Hey!

I just gave this installation a go for a new Kerbal experience. I have a question about the size/scaling.

Right now I have Sigma Dimensions installed and the rescale 10.625. I haven't ever played with a 'real scale' mode in KSP before and thought this would be a fun way to do it. But if I find it's too difficult or too time consuming, do I just need to uninstall 10.6 from CKAN and leave Sigma installed in case I want to go back? I did not see a 'stock size' in the rescale and I'm not sure if getting rid of Sigma would break my game (I don't mean save files-I know to delete those when switching mods).

Let me know what I should do if/when I want to go back to Kerbal size.

Also, if anyone has fun mod suggestions that go with a the 10.6 size system (I'm using real fuels and a few other mod bits, but if there is anything specific I'd love to hear about it).

Thanks!

@Disparia Books When you want to return to kerbal/stock size just remove Rescale! (It should be a single config file) and yes you can keep Sigma Dimensions and it won't do anything. There is no stock size config because GPP's default scale is stock scale.

I expect that changing your scale mid-game will upset if not break your save. The greater your scale, the greater the upset. But nothing should mess with your install and make things unplayable.

@RocketPCGaming is the go-to guy for advice on real-scale GPP. I expect him to advise (though not force you, of course) to skip RO and RealFuels and just use SMURFF and SSTU. He knows all the real-scale fun mods.

I know others are discussing the issues with having vessels flung up in the air after a warp. It seems like everything seems to be working for me except for landing my mining rig on Eta. I've landed on Geminus, Gratian, Iota, Thalia in the past few days and it all seems OK. Other than the Ceti issue a few posts back, are people experiencing this on many bodies?

3 hours ago, Disparia Books said:

Also, if anyone has fun mod suggestions that go with a the 10.6 size system (I'm using real fuels and a few other mod bits, but if there is anything specific I'd love to hear about it).

Disparia, I've just started out with this too! I haven't been using SSTU as JadeOfMaar suggests, but I have been using SMURFF and MFT instead of RealFuels. Ferram Aerospace, Advanced Jet Engine, Community Tech Tree, Dmagic Orbital Science, Hangar Extender (I suspect will be absolutely required later), JX2Antenna (looks cool... as soon as I can unlock it), KIS and KAS, RealChute, RealPlume. What else? StageRecovery, I'm discovering, is far less useful at this scale than in stock (at least early game), because there's a narrow window in which it's useful. Aero forces will rip strap-on LF stages apart if it's too low in the atmosphere, and stages that are released at speeds over 2,000 m/s will end up burning up in atmosphere. Since low orbit (above 126 km) is well over 7,000 m/s, you can imagine how few stages are recovered.

Parts: I am using nearly everything from Nertea (Near Future Technologies, Heat Control, Cryogenic Engines, Kerbal Atomics, Far Future Technologies, only leaving out the Mk IV system), and a good portion of RoverDude's mods  (including MKS, FTT, USI-LS, Asteroid Recycling, Akita and Karibou, Karbonite... though Karbonite needs some balance as it brings some LF engines that are way too powerful way too early in the tech tree). I'd rank Nertea's stuff at the top, the last to be cut from my parts packs. I've also thrown in MOLE, B9 Aerospace, OPT, B9 Procedural Wings, Universal Storage, SpaceY and SpaceY Expanded. OPT is beautiful, but I don't think its engines are compatible with AJE. A few engines in there are downright ridiculous. In any event, SSTO spaceplanes are horrendous at this scale, so I'm questioning whether I should include aero-oriented parts packs at all. MOLE provides great 1.875 m parts, but it uses an atypical resource configuration system which I wish could be overridden by MFT, especially because you can't get lighter dry-mass parts for switching the tank type to cryogenic fuels. MOLE is still SMURFFed, of course, but LH2 needs even lighter tanks compared to LF.

As you can tell, I'm still experimenting. Part of that experiment has been with the difficulty settings. Mission rewards need boosting. I'm at 120% rep, 120% science, and 230% funds. Funds feels like that might be too high, early on, but delta-V requirements for missions are ballpark of 326% higher, and since cost scales exponentially with delta-V, 230% might even be too low. I really don't know. I didn't realize, at first, that also scaling the fund penalties scaled the cost of upgrading facilities and activating strategies, so I threw down a few hundred thousand extra space bucks early in the game when I could have sorely used it elsewhere. Penalties are now at 100%. I'm also paying to unlock parts after researching tech nodes.

If you intend to keep up with the RealFuels route, make sure you grab engine packs recommended there. Many part packs do not have RF configs. I like RO with RSS and even RP-0 (or the idea of it), but I feel like the benefits from RF are outweighed by the fact that to them, "realism" has come to imply "has been created in real life," rather than, "is within the realm of plausibility."

12 hours ago, Galileo said:

in the difficulty settings, you need to disable ground stations in the KK settings, and restart the game. 

Done and fixed, thank you. "Restart the game" always twists my stomach a bit, since it takes so incredibly long with this mod plus way too many parts with all the MM patches from other gameplay mods.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Disparia Books When you want to return to kerbal/stock size just remove Rescale! (It should be a single config file) and yes you can keep Sigma Dimensions and it won't do anything. There is no stock size config because GPP's default scale is stock scale.

I expect that changing your scale mid-game will upset if not break your save. The greater your scale, the greater the upset. But nothing should mess with your install and make things unplayable.

@RocketPCGaming is the go-to guy for advice on real-scale GPP. I expect him to advise (though not force you, of course) to skip RO and RealFuels and just use SMURFF and SSTU. He knows all the real-scale fun mods.

Thanks for the advice on that, glad to know it's easy to do. And yeah, every time I change a mod I always nuke my save files. Learned that one the hard way... :/ I will explore SMURF/STU

@danfarnsy Are you using CKAN for your mods? If you are, let me know when you are happy with the results and export your .ckan 

I will take Jade's advice for now and mess around with SMURFF, but..which mod is SSTU? Is that one of the stock terrain mods? If you want to see what I'm using I can send you the file as well. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm on the most current version of KSP right now, if that matters.

Edited by Disparia Books

16 minutes ago, Disparia Books said:

Thanks for the advice on that, glad to know it's easy to do. And yeah, every time I change a mod I always nuke my save files. Learned that one the hard way... :/ I will explore SMURF/STU

@danfarnsy Are you using CKAN for your mods? If you are, let me know when you are happy with the results and export your .ckan 

I will take Jade's advice for now and mess around with SMURFF, but..which mod is SSTU? Is that one of the stock terrain mods? If you want to see what I'm using I can send you the file as well. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm on the most current version of KSP right now, if that matters.

Just one of the most amazing part mods ever! However as far as I am aware it doesn't play great with SMURFF due to the modular/procedural nature of the parts, unless someone has made some specific configs for SSTU, I haven't checked in awhile.

I'd recommend throwing SSTU in a stock game and playing around with it for a bit, it does things a bit differently than just about any part mod out there but once you get familiar with it you may never go back!

14 minutes ago, Disparia Books said:

but..which mod is SSTU?

It's a part pack...

If you do make the switch from 10.625x back to stock, the biggest problem you'll likely have with an existing save is the orbits of all your vessels.  While the orbits of the celestial bodies rescale, those of your vessels do not.  So if you have, for example, a comsat in geosynchronous orbit, it's going to be all messed up after removing the rescale config.  Also anything on an interplanetary trajectory will probably be screwed up.  You'll have to use the cheat menu or Hyperedit to put everything back into the correct orbits.  I don't know about landers and outposts.

14 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

Just one of the most amazing part mods ever! However as far as I am aware it doesn't play great with SMURFF due to the modular/procedural nature of the parts, unless someone has made some specific configs for SSTU, I haven't checked in awhile.

There are some configs for SSTU that make it a little more friendly with upscaled systems, kinda similar to SMURFF. It’s in the thread somewhere, if not I’m using one at 6.4 scale (that was meant for 10x scale) I can post. 

28 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

I'd recommend throwing SSTU in a stock game and playing around with it for a bit, it does things a bit differently than just about any part mod out there but once you get familiar with it you may never go back!

I might need to give that a try. I'm still trying to work on the best mods for GPP at full-scale and it's...actually pretty tough. I've crashed CKAN or my game more times than I've successfully loaded it :P

That being said, if anyone out there has a 10.6 GPP mod pack they use in CKAN that works well (including real plume, mechjeb, hyperedit, and all graphical upgrades) that is stable , feel free to send it to me. I'm loving this so far but I'm getting frustrated trying (and failing) so often.

I've got a good load now, but it could always be better!

55 minutes ago, Disparia Books said:

Negative on CKAN. I like the idea of CKAN, but it isn't actually comprehensive (or wasn't) for the mods I use, so instead of playing the game of mixing manual installations with CKAN, I do everything manually. I also like being able to second-guess people's typos in Netkan configs, which happen all the time. :) 

11 minutes ago, Stratickus said:

Removing GPP_Secondary returned the KSC buildings back to level 1. Not sure why that is. A conflict with some other mod perhaps?

Sorry, fellow. If you removed GPP_Secondary mid-game with intent to have some sort of desirable gameplay or story effect then that's a very bad move. Added to the usual effect of changing your installed planets, if the option isn't present to upgrade the facilities again, then you may have obliterated your save. :/ There's nothing for myself or Galileo to do.

35 minutes ago, Stratickus said:

Removing GPP_Secondary returned the KSC buildings back to level 1. Not sure why that is. A conflict with some other mod perhaps?

Using GPP secondary is really a choice you have to make before you start a career. Its not something that can be added or removed mid game. KSP will get confused and since you are basically changing your homeworld from Kerbin to Gael by removing secondary, I have no doubt that KSP doesnt know how to handle that and reset the levels.  After all, you upgraded the buildings on Kerbin not Gael right? I see no flaw in what KSP did.

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Sorry, fellow. If you removed GPP_Secondary mid-game with intent to have some sort of desirable gameplay or story effect then that's a very bad move. Added to the usual effect of changing your installed planets, if the option isn't present to upgrade the facilities again, then you may have obliterated your save. :/ There's nothing for myself or Galileo to do.

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

Using GPP secondary is really a choice you have to make before you start a career. 

I'm guessing you didn't read my original post that I linked. That or I did not explain it very well. I did not add/remove GPP_Secondary mid-game. My comment about removing GPP_Secondary was a follow up to my orginal post. I can see that reading the second post in isolation would be misleading.

At the very beginning of a brand new 1.3.1 career save/game with OPM Galileo + GPP + GPP_Secondary, all of the KSC buildings were fully upgraded. When I removed the GPP_Secondary folder from the GameData folder and started another brand new career/save, everything was fine. 

I looked through the files included in GPP_Secondary and didn’t really see anything that would cause an issue, which leads me to believe it is some sort of conflict with another mod. In which case, I understand there really isn’t anything you can do.

Cheers,

21 hours ago, Disparia Books said:

I might need to give that a try. I'm still trying to work on the best mods for GPP at full-scale and it's...actually pretty tough. I've crashed CKAN or my game more times than I've successfully loaded it :P

That being said, if anyone out there has a 10.6 GPP mod pack they use in CKAN that works well (including real plume, mechjeb, hyperedit, and all graphical upgrades) that is stable , feel free to send it to me. I'm loving this so far but I'm getting frustrated trying (and failing) so often.

I've got a good load now, but it could always be better!

I've always used a hybrid approach with upscale GPP. I'll manually install all the universe-defining mods (GPP, Kopernicus, Sigma Dimensions, high detail terrain settings, etc.) then use CKAN for parts packs (Near Future, USI, Vens) and smaller mods (Better Burn Time, Landing Height Indicator, etc.)  SSTU is a funny duck, and I have yet to use it in a way that feels right at a scale larger than 2.5x. (The 6.4x config floating around is wildly inconsistent and occasionally very OP.) If you want to try 10.625x, I'd stay away from SSTU and lean more on Vens, SpaceY and Near Future while using SMURFF at full lever.

And as you noted, everything takes a lot longer in 10.625x. It's not for everyone. I've settled on 2.5x for my current save, and am liking it a lot. If RL and time wasn't a factor, I'd be playing at a larger scale.

One more thing - check out Real Scale Boosters if you're playing in 10.625x. Part costs need a balance pass, but mass and performance are spot on. 600 ton shuttle SRB? Check. F-1, F-1A and F-1B? Check. Saturn multi body and Carrack from ETS? Check.

Edited by Norcalplanner
RSB

4 hours ago, calvinadrian1207 said:

how neptune is missing Galileo

how comment is missing question

i understand that English probably isn’t your first language, but i think you are asking why Neptune isn’t there. The answer is simple; this isn’t RSS, it’s GPP. Neptune does not exist in this system.

Edited by Galileo

Anyone have issues with Tweakscale and GPP (at 10.6 size)? Every time I tweak an engine's size...bad, bad things happen. And by bad I mean REALLY bad. This is what happens every time I change the size of an engine.

Though, to note before you watch, this was done on an old version of KSP with different mods and in no way related to what's happening on GPP. Though the cause of THAT particular failure was tweakscaling the nose cones. It was always the nose cones. This is about four installations and rounds of mods later that I'm having engine issues.