[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

4 minutes ago, 4d4Garrison said:

Is that planet/moon going to be added into Grannus's orbit I hope? I like its atmospheric looks and have my fingers crossed. :)

I actually don't know where that is myself, but I have a hunch.

A very popular planet pack will be compatible right out of the box :)

this is to tide people over until the official expansion gets released :wink: 

OR Jade has something else up his sleeve and hasn't told anyone else yet...

Edited by Galileo

51 minutes ago, 4d4Garrison said:

Is that planet/moon going to be added into Grannus's orbit I hope? I like its atmospheric looks and have my fingers crossed. :)

Yes. The red star is indeed Grannus. Just install its containing pack along with GPP (after our release, of course).

Spoiler

But better is coming.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Insane Eccentric spacecraft design: A prototype warpship.

Launched from Kerbin.... :P 

MEGsG05.jpg

HlddiKo.jpg

DOE is an interesting mod. Jool shows pretty clearly still...

WI36QQF.jpg

I don't know how to use Oberth with a warpship to slow down so I slowed down the old fashion way....using the same warp propellant for these custom engines.

zACyHKW.jpg

By a hair's width it survived its landing attempt on Gratian. There's no way this is landing on Laythe or back on Kerbin... Well, maybe an ironman pilot can do it.

bMQ0NYW.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

In real-scale??? .........You don't...?

Talk to @RocketPCGaming. He's doing real-scale GPP and he knows his stuff. (But he might give the same answer, lol)

@PLAD Using just RO, I am not certain it is possible with chemical rockets considering how small the payload to fuel margin is. Maybe from a point of high elevation and a very light weight probe it could be done, maybe? You would need ~13,500m/s velocity to achieve orbit, (too late for math so just an educated guess) that would be in the ball park of 17,000m/s of dV required from launch. With a TWR to push against 1.8G's, which would rule out high efficiency/ low thrust, light weight engines for the most part. 

It would have to be a multi-vessel journey and the hard part would be getting the relaunch stage successfully through re-entry, which isn't that easy as not much depth to the atmosphere before going dense, maybe requiring a retro burn during entry. I have entered and landed safely on Tellumo in testing, but haven't attempted getting back into orbit from there, yet. I think of Tellumo as more a "Hotel California" planet for Gaelean (Kerbal) retirement. 

If you give it a shot, be sure to let everyone here know how it goes! Good Luck! (you are going to need it!) :-P 

7 hours ago, PLAD said:

For instance the atmosphere heights get multiplied by 1.8 in 1.2.3 but I can't see that number in the rescale files or Sigma configs.

The final height of an atmosphere is the product of Atmosphere and AtmoTopLayer.  So for 10.625X, that's 1.25*1.44 = 1.8.  The first factor stretches the existing atmosphere curves, and the second factor extrapolates them.

8 hours ago, RocketPCGaming said:

@PLAD Using just RO, I am not certain it is possible with chemical rockets considering how small the payload to fuel margin is. Maybe from a point of high elevation and a very light weight probe it could be done, maybe? You would need ~13,500m/s velocity to achieve orbit, (too late for math so just an educated guess) that would be in the ball park of 17,000m/s of dV required from launch. With a TWR to push against 1.8G's, which would rule out high efficiency/ low thrust, light weight engines for the most part. 

It would have to be a multi-vessel journey and the hard part would be getting the relaunch stage successfully through re-entry, which isn't that easy as not much depth to the atmosphere before going dense, maybe requiring a retro burn during entry. I have entered and landed safely on Tellumo in testing, but haven't attempted getting back into orbit from there, yet. I think of Tellumo as more a "Hotel California" planet for Gaelean (Kerbal) retirement. 

If you give it a shot, be sure to let everyone here know how it goes! Good Luck! (you are going to need it!) :-P 

Yes, thanks, I am going to need it. I just have to know what it would take for some hapless species that evolves on a planet like this to get into space. First will be building anything that can go surface to orbit, and then 2nd trying to fly that from Gael's surface to Tellumo. I calculate a Tellumo orbital speed of 14,011 m/s at 90km altitude, and then the gravity and drag losses should be savage. With a surface gravity of 1.9 the TWR will need to be well over 2 all the way... I'm not above trying an Orion with realistic stats.

I was worrying about entering the atmosphere at the 20km/s that you get when falling from infinity, but then I remembered the Galileo Jupiter atmosphere probe hit Jupiter at 47km/s and survived, so it's reasonable (though it was 45% heat shield by mass).

Hi All,

In my career save, starting to get a huge amount of spam whenever I try to install EVE. about 400k of this after load at Space Center:

[EXC 13:02:35.984] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CelestialShadows.LocalShadowComponent.OnPreCull ()

I have the 1.2.2.1 version of EVE (without configs), installed in Gamedata, put the hi-res clouds in GPP.  It all seems to run OK, there were no obvious ingame issues.

Logs are here

Should I be posting on the EVE thread also?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Hi All,

In my career save, starting to get a huge amount of spam whenever I try to install EVE. about 400k of this after load at Space Center:

[EXC 13:02:35.984] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CelestialShadows.LocalShadowComponent.OnPreCull ()

I have the 1.2.2.1 version of EVE (without configs), installed in Gamedata, put the hi-res clouds in GPP.  It all seems to run OK, there were no obvious ingame issues.

Logs are here

Should I be posting on the EVE thread also?

Thanks

That usually means something is incorrect with the eve eclipses, however, I just loaded up the game, running all optional mods, to include eve and Scatterer, and I don't get any spam. I suggest you reinstall with only GPP and its optional mods and see if the issue persists. No need to post to the EVE thread

Edited by Galileo

4 hours ago, PLAD said:

I was worrying about entering the atmosphere at the 20km/s that you get when falling from infinity, but then I remembered the Galileo Jupiter atmosphere probe hit Jupiter at 47km/s and survived, so it's reasonable (though it was 45% heat shield by mass).

It also experienced like 100 g or something like that. :0.0:

Maybe you should start smaller, for practice, like about 6.4 scale  :wink:*winkwinknudgenudge* innocent whisltling...

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

That usually means something is incorrect with the eve eclipses, however, I just loaded up the game, running all optional mods, to include eve and Scatterer, and I don't get any spam. I suggest you reinstall with only GPP and its optional mods and see if the issue persists. No need to post to the EVE thread

It happened on a fresh 1.3 with GPP and EVE only. Will have to downloadable everything, maybe something got screwy.

31 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

It also experienced like 100 g or something like that. :0.0:

Maybe you should start smaller, for practice, like about 6.4 scale  :wink:*winkwinknudgenudge* innocent whisltling...

Once you go Real Scale, it's hard to go back....

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

1 hour ago, Gilph said:

It happened on a fresh 1.3 with GPP and EVE only. Will have to downloadable everything, maybe something got screwy.

Hi, I found the issue.  In the EVE_Eclipses cfg file, there are two lines that say body=Kerbin and I changed them to body=Gael. This was from a freshly downloaded GPP 1.4 download.  You may wish to double check?

2 hours ago, Gilph said:

Hi, I found the issue.  In the EVE_Eclipses cfg file, there are two lines that say body=Kerbin and I changed them to body=Gael. This was from a freshly downloaded GPP 1.4 download.  You may wish to double check?

You are right, this is the case. But no one has mentioned this as a problem. There must be something unique to your install, but thanks for mentioning it.

13 hours ago, Gilph said:

Is there a chance you where playing without Scatterer? Scatterer disables some EVE eclipses in favors of its own when it's installed, one being Gael. This explains why most don't get the spam.

The reason nobody has reported an issue to this point is because, I assume, very few people play without Scatterer. Myself included, and the other devs as well obviously. 

As soon as I took scatterer out, I got the spam, as I suspected. 

This was definitely an something I just missed and will be fixing it for the next update. 

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Is there a chance you where playing without Scatterer? Scatterer disables some EVE eclipses in favors of its own when it's installed, one being Gael. This explains why most don't get the spam.

The reason nobody has reported an issue to this point is because, I assume, very few people play without Scatterer. Myself included, and the other devs as well obviously. 

As soon as I took scatterer out, I got the spam, as I suspected. 

This was definitely an something I just missed and will be fixing it for the next update. 

Correct as usual...

I was trying to think why it affected me and nobody else, as Jade suggested.  I stopped using EVE and Scatterer, because Scatterer was throwing a few too many null refs. It was only a few days ago that I was adding back things one at a time, and I added EVE without scatterer.  I'll add scatterer back tonight to see if those null refs go away also.  Thanks for your help.

Hm... I should really be working on the extra assignment you have given me, @Galileo. I started but didn't come too far. I don't have too much experience with organic shapes so I'll have to improve my technique before I can get a satisfying result.

As far as my procrastination on this project goes, you're partly at fault as well! I really have to congratulate you on the choices you've made when naming the bodies in this excellent planet pack. When looking them up, it really sends me tumbling down Greek mythological rabbit holes that are difficult to climb out of. It's really neat and strangely fitting to the planets. They also have excellent surface features that make me wonder about their geological history and what processes could have shaped them. This makes them several notches above the stock system which feels rather lackluster. I stopped my last play through of stock when I saw how big Ike was compared to Duna and how close they were orbiting. It's just not believable. Your solar system seems to be much better shaped and I have yet to run into stuff I couldn't believe. It's great to have moons be much smaller have them orbit further away than stock KSP. Adds to the immersion. I can't wait to explore more!

Edited by Three_Pounds

4 hours ago, Three_Pounds said:

I stopped my last play through of stock when I saw how big Ike was compared to Duna and how close they were orbiting. It's just not believable. Your solar system seems to be much better shaped and I have yet to run into stuff I couldn't believe. It's great to have moons be much smaller have them orbit further away than stock KSP. Adds to the immersion. I can't wait to explore more!

Several years ago I got interested in the topic of tidal locking.  I began to research the subject and found an equation to compute angular deceleration based on properties like body radius, mass, tidal quality factor, and separation distance.  I put all that stuff into a spreadsheet and, accounting for conservation of angular momentum, came up with a simulation to estimate how a two-body system would evolve over time.  The simulation would not only tell me whether or not the bodies would become tidally locked, but also what their final rotation periods and separation would be.  I really didn't have any use for the spreadsheet, I just did it to satisfy my curiosity and to see if I could do it.

I had nearly forgotten all about it until I began working on GPP.  GPP gave me the perfect opportunity to load up the old spreadsheet and actually use it for something.  I didn't use it for the moons of the gas giants, but all of GPP's rocky/icy planet-moon systems are based on the simulations.  There are many variables that go into the simulations, so what I ended up using isn't the one and only possibility, but what you see in GPP is at least scientifically based and represents a realistic configuration.  For the gas giants I just placed the moons in orbits that are comparable to the real life moons of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

Edited by OhioBob

That is truly unbelievable dedication. I congratulate you. I see I am not the only one wondering why the Mun hasn't been torn apart by tidal forces being so close to Kerbin. Albeit researching this things must have done the same damage to you as it did to me: we can no longer enjoy those "wow epic" sci-fi wallpapers with several planets in the sky almost touching each other.

Edited by Three_Pounds