[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

2 hours ago, linecrafter said:

Does delta-v map have a mistake? It says that capture burn for Thalia is ~1,200 ms of dV but in game it's like ~2,500 ms dV.

Ejection and capture burns can vary considerably, particularly for a planet like Thalia.  That's why we have to take delta-v maps with a grain of salt.  I computed the numbers for the delta-v map, but even I don't trust it.  ~1,200 m/s is doable under favorable conditions, but most conditions aren't favorable.  For planetary transfers, I always recommend Transfer Window Planner.  It's going to be more accurate than a delta-v map because it will compute the dV for the specific departure and arrival conditions of your particular launch window. 

I recently upgraded my PC and decided it was time to expand the Kerbal system and dove into the deep end. I installed GPP, Galileo's OPM, and New Horizons with the Secondary option for GPP.  This starts me out in the New Horizons solar system with two other stars circling in the distance with their own planetary systems to discover. Awesome!

Galileo in particular, and the modding community, has been so helpful that I haven't had to ask many questions  and I have learned enough to do some modding of my own and really make things fit to my own preferences. I even have Research bodies working great though my discover descriptions are lacking in creativity.

I added a save from a NH + OPM install and picked up where I left off before leaving the Kerbal SOI and it worked too. Almost everything works!!!

I've been reading about solar panels and multiple sun systems. My solar panels point at Ciro but I am near the star in the NH solar system. With the GPP secondary package installed we start out on Kerbin and near that star (whatever its name is).

I've read allot about how this issue is being addressed, solar curves and such, but wouldn't it be simpler if someone made a mod that gave an option in the solar panels themselves to point at a particular sun? Automation would be great but until planet packs stop evolving it may not be possible.

My quest/question of the day is; how, threw .cfg files or something like that, can I get my solar panels to point at the right star? I realize that when I get out to the Ciro system it will again be an issue but by then I'll be on reactor power.

@Capt. Kermit,

a small bit of info for those that might still want to use tracking solar panels:

currently there is a "bug" in kopernius where the solar panel at the moment of deciding which star to track, will focus on the star that is more centered in its field of view.

we have already changed it so that from next release the solar panels will choose the star that provides the most Ec/s

in the meantime, it's sufficient to rotate your craft until the solar panels face the closest star (ciro)

of course with stations it will be a bit more difficult, but at least you have an option while you wait for the next kopernicus release to drop

Thanks OhioBob.  I missed that second part in my reading and it explains what I came back to report farther on.

I should mention that I only use stock solar panels and this testing is done from a previous save on another setup.

I did more testing and the small panels work fine. It is the Giganator XL that is acting strange. I deactivated the two I have on my Deep Space telescope but when I reactivated them one pointed at the local star and the other at Ciro. By temporarily removing the sun curve configs (one in GPP and one in secondary) I did get them both pointing at the local star but it isn't consistent so I think a save file issue is involved.

I was going to start a new career but with this information I know it won't change anything. But, I think I can work with this now that I know what to expect.

18 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Ejection and capture burns can vary considerably, particularly for a planet like Thalia.  That's why we have to take delta-v maps with a grain of salt.  I computed the numbers for the delta-v map, but even I don't trust it.  ~1,200 m/s is doable under favorable conditions, but most conditions aren't favorable.  For planetary transfers, I always recommend Transfer Window Planner.  It's going to be more accurate than a delta-v map because it will compute the dV for the specific departure and arrival conditions of your particular launch window. 

True, but the bodies I've visited so far (6?) have been reasonably accurate. Thalia is an exception.  It might be better to increase that to a more average setting. Having a little leftover deltav is always welcome, being short 1200 deltav is not welcome at all. If there is that much of a swing, maybe showing a "max" or a range will be more helpful.  I think I budget 2200, based on my first vessel to Thalia, which was a scanner with an ion engine as final stage, so I had way more deltav than normal.

Can't say enough about this mod, the attention to detail is unrivaled by other planetary packs. In honor of Cassini's final plunge into Saturn last night I decided to run a couple missions in game using the US Probe Pack. I sent one to Nero which ended up being kind of a slow boring mission. The other however went to Gauss, mission control decided they wanted to send the Huygens probe to Catullus. As Cassini made it's orbital insertion burn it had a chance encounter with Catullus, things were looking up. Cassini was set up to pass about 30km into Catullus' atmosphere and deployed Huygens without an issue before doing a correction burn that would eventually see it orbiting Catullus instead of Gauss.

Huygens then sped through the atmosphere over 3km/s, but it turned out even with that thick atmosphere it would speed right through an continue off into space. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, on a subsequent pass it would surely dive deeper into the atmosphere with no hope of escape. Except for one thing... a moon, by the name of Tarsiss. Yes, I completely underestimated this little moons sphere of influence. In fact, I never even thought about an encounter with Tarsiss and well quite frankly Huygens was now set to go almost straight for the little moon. It turned out Huygens was not going to be the first probe to land on Catullus.

The rest of the mission went really well. Huygens successfully landed on the little moon with a thick atmosphere, collecting the ever important science. Cassini collected science on the two moons, and mission control was quiet relieved.

Awesome job on the mod. Also nice to see your pack on CKAN, I had already manually downloaded it when I saw it up there.

YhLtQqH.png

91iBymE.png

Edited by Jesse-Lacey
Faillllll

2 hours ago, Gilph said:

True, but the bodies I've visited so far (6?) have been reasonably accurate. Thalia is an exception.  It might be better to increase that to a more average setting. Having a little leftover deltav is always welcome, being short 1200 deltav is not welcome at all. If there is that much of a swing, maybe showing a "max" or a range will be more helpful.  I think I budget 2200, based on my first vessel to Thalia, which was a scanner with an ion engine as final stage, so I had way more deltav than normal.

The 1220 m/s on the ∆v map is definitely on the low side, but I ran through years worth of encounters using Transfer Window Planner and I didn't get anything approaching the ~2,500 m/s that @linecrafter talked about, or even the 2,200 m/s that you budget.  I didn't keep notes, but it seems to me that the orbit insertion ∆v was usually about 1600-1700 m/s for a "good" encounter.  (That is, if we throw out the really bad ones and take a median of what remains.)  Of course that's orbit insertion, not capture.  The ∆v map budgets 350 m/s to go from capture to low orbit.  So that means the ∆v for capture should probably be about 1,300 m/s.  If you guys are getting capture ∆v >2,000 m/s, then you must have picked a bad launch window, or somehow maneuvered yourselves into a poor encounter.

22 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

The 1220 m/s on the ∆v map is definitely on the low side, but I ran through years worth of encounters using Transfer Window Planner and I didn't get anything approaching the ~2,500 m/s that @linecrafter talked about, or even the 2,200 m/s that you budget.  I didn't keep notes, but it seems to me that the orbit insertion ∆v was usually about 1600-1700 m/s for a "good" encounter.  (That is, if we throw out the really bad ones and take a median of what remains.)  Of course that's orbit insertion, not capture.  The ∆v map budgets 350 m/s to go from capture to low orbit.  So that means the ∆v for capture should probably be about 1,300 m/s.  If you guys are getting capture ∆v >2,000 m/s, then you must have picked a bad launch window, or somehow maneuvered yourselves into a poor encounter.

Ahhh...sorry, senior moment. I am probably thinking about getting to low orbit. 

I just sent 4 vessels there on good burns on a good transfer window, so I'll be more careful looking at the different phases.  I do remember being off by about 1000 the first time, so I'll pay more attention with these ships.  Thanks again.

@Jesse-Lacey Awesome stuff! :) I'm thinking of trying out the Cassini-Huygens challenge myself. I also wonder whether to go at Gauss or Nero. Both planets have a main moon with epic atmosphere. There are several factors to consider so I can't decide.

1 hour ago, Jesse-Lacey said:

the attention to detail is unrivaled by other planetary packs

Indeed. Beyond just looks, and if you like resource systems, Tarsiss also has an abundance of gaseous and liquid hydrocarbons (Karbonite and Methane) as does Titan. :wink: 

17 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Indeed. Beyond just looks, and if you like resource systems, Tarsiss also has an abundance of gaseous and liquid hydrocarbons (Karbonite and Methane) as does Titan. :wink: 

[Werner clicks his pen, makes a notation on his clipboard, and starts calculating dV and LS requirements for a Tarsiss expedition]

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

Well, lesson learned. Always take more dV than you need or think you need.

On 9/18/2017 at 1:50 PM, Capt. Kermit said:

Galileo in particular, and the modding community, has been so helpful that I haven't had to ask many questions  and I have learned enough to do some modding of my own and really make things fit to my own preferences. I even have Research bodies working great though my discover descriptions are lacking in creativity.

Correction/Senior moment - The three Planet Pack I mentioned all have Research bodies discovery text included. The one I wrote up was for RSS.

Hmmmm...I went to rescue Valentina in orbit around Thalia. The pod was empty.  I dont see her as a casuality in the Complex and she does not show up in the persist file or the logs. Maybe has something to do with being one of the stock original four that I replaced with the new names, but I did rescue Jeb in Iota. Any thoughts?

Edit1: just checked the contract. It now says "rescue from orbit of Thalia" and the contract text says "Test test test test"

Edited by Gilph

JadeofMaar wrote the majority of the flavour text in the mod and, afterwards as a group, we reviewed most of it to make sure it was coherent. 

He did a great job with the descriptions. If you find any areas that may be hard to read, have spelling mistakes or grammatical errors please let us know.

1 minute ago, Poodmund said:

JadeofMaar wrote the majority of the flavour text in the mod and, afterwards as a group, we reviewed most of it to make sure it was coherent. 

He did a great job with the descriptions. If you find any areas that may be hard to read, have spelling mistakes or grammatical errors please let us know.

I can look out for those. I am never sure if I am looking at something where I am missing an obvious reference or my English is simply inadequate. For example:

#LOC_GPP_KerbalismGeiger_EtaSrfLanded = Geiger is chill. Eta is as chill while landed as while space.

#LOC_GPP_KerbalismGeiger_IotaInSpaceLow = It continues to appear very safe in Iotian space. Prepare the shovels. Droops Candy is clearly safe to eat.

9 minutes ago, Three_Pounds said:

I can look out for those. I am never sure if I am looking at something where I am missing an obvious reference or my English is simply inadequate. For example:

Errrr... yeah, as a non-Kerbalism player I've never read over those strings. I don't know what medication Jade was on at the time of writing those. Haha... @JadeOfMaar, any answers?

Also as a non-native English speaker, you are of great value to us from an understandability stand point. If it's not clear enough for you, then we should think about rewriting it as it should be readable for all users.

Edited by Poodmund

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

Errrr... yeah, as a non-Kerbalism player I've never read over those strings. I don't know what medication Jade was on at the time of writing g those. Haha... @JadeOfMaar, any answers?

Well, Droops turns out to be a biome. I'll make sure to check over the entire file to catch self-references like this. As far as obvious grammatical and orthographic errors are concerned, should I fix them and then make a pull request? How is the normal modus operandi for you guys?

EDIT: I have no clue what you were smoking, @JadeOfMaar but please share some with me.

#LOC_GPP_KerbalismGeiger_OthoFlyingLow = Your ship is as yellow and white as the planet. Be happy. You've attained your membership in the yellow bodies club.

#LOC_GPP_KerbalismGeiger_GaussInSpaceLow = Can you hear it? that's the sound of Van Allen Gaelan's ghost howling.

Edited by Three_Pounds

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I don't know what medication Jade was on at the time of writing those. Haha... @JadeOfMaar, any answers?

Lol! Well I was going for a bit of American slang with the Eta science. "Yo dawg, that moon is chill!" But literally, I meant "The geiger counter is cool. It is as cool on Eta's surface as it is in orbit."

3 hours ago, Three_Pounds said:

Well, Droops turns out to be a biome. I'll make sure to check over the entire file to catch self-references like this. As far as obvious grammatical and orthographic errors are concerned, should I fix them and then make a pull request? How is the normal modus operandi for you guys?

EDIT: I have no clue what you were smoking, @JadeOfMaar but please share some with me.

I'm generally called out, in humor, for hoarding the rum. Hard liquor is where it's at in my country.

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

I'm fairly very "Droops" is a biome,

Now that's just shameful! :D 

9 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Lol! Well I was going for a bit of American slang with the Eta science. "Yo dawg, that moon is chill!" But literally, I meant "The geiger counter is cool. It is as cool on Eta's surface as it is in orbit."

That's fair enough I suppose. What my initial idea was and what I have based my translation on until now,  is that the reader of those messages has gone a bit mad from the ceaseless radiation pelting his tiny green head for months on end and has started to give his instruments names and treat them like his associates.

Edited by Three_Pounds

So I'm curious, has anyone managed to land on Thalia? I sent my favorite new probe there, it's one of the ones in the Bluedog pack. It manages almost 5k m/s Delta V with a monoprop engine, plus it's got a tank with another 3k to transfer from Gael with a decent vaccuum engine. Which means this thing can basically go anywhere, with a host of science since I'm using Kraken Science on my save.

I sent it off to Thalia, I got out there pretty cheap I ditched the extra stage into the planet and started a fun 10 minute burn. My approach was pretty safe, about 100km above the surface which was fine. On my second pass I dropped down to 20km to get the near science near the planet and things started heating up. Luckily the probe escaped alive and the science was all collected. However it left me curious as to if it's even possible to land on.

Edit: Found a video of someone doing it, so it's certainly possible, but not easy, and it doesn't seem you can stay long lol.

Edited by Jesse-Lacey

How to solve a problem with striped terrain? 
GPP troubleshooting list says to force DX9, but it didn't help. The other things I tried, was converting planet textures to .bmp and removing scatterer folder (because it caused that kind of problem in the past). Now I reinstalled the game and the mod either.

I have Intel HD graphics card. The game isn't meant to be played with integrated GPU, but I used to enjoy it in a previous version of the mod.

https://imgur.com/A1eahcb

https://imgur.com/XpxRf4M

6 hours ago, Jesse-Lacey said:

So I'm curious, has anyone managed to land on Thalia? I sent my favorite new probe there, it's one of the ones in the Bluedog pack. It manages almost 5k m/s Delta V with a monoprop engine, plus it's got a tank with another 3k to transfer from Gael with a decent vaccuum engine. Which means this thing can basically go anywhere, with a host of science since I'm using Kraken Science on my save.

I sent it off to Thalia, I got out there pretty cheap I ditched the extra stage into the planet and started a fun 10 minute burn. My approach was pretty safe, about 100km above the surface which was fine. On my second pass I dropped down to 20km to get the near science near the planet and things started heating up. Luckily the probe escaped alive and the science was all collected. However it left me curious as to if it's even possible to land on.

Edit: Found a video of someone doing it, so it's certainly possible, but not easy, and it doesn't seem you can stay long lol.

You didn't mention if you have radiators on your vessel. I believe they are needed.  I have a Thalia lander en route, but it may be a few days before I get there.

I have landed on Eta without the need to deploy radiators, but Thalia is a different animal.