[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

22 hours ago, Galileo said:

I mean, I can keep the same texture and just alter the brightness a little. Might help.

I think it might help to do that, but I'd like to get a few more opinions.  I wouldn't mind Thalia looking so dark if it were farther from the sun, but it's the second closest planet.  And the fact that it has no atmosphere makes it seem even worse.  Niven has some darker ground than Thalia, but it doesn't seem so bad when there's a bright sky overhead.  But Thalia has this dark sky, and this dark terrain, and it just seems like there's no sunlight at all.  The sunlight intensity should be four times what it is on Gael, yet there's no feeling whatsoever that that's the case.  I don't have a problem with the look of Thalia from a distance, but when on or close to the surface, it just seems off to me.  I agree that you don't need to change the texture, but brightening it might be a good idea.

Edited by OhioBob

11 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Geosynchronous altitude = 21,988,694.48 - 600,000*6.4 = 18,148,694.48 meters.

:blink::confused: Numbers make brain hurt... so many numbers...:o

But thanks for getting me the important one. :D

ETA: nine bloody hells, the math doesn't stop! :confused:

So, what I actually need to calculate is the SMA, not the altitude, I see. The stock-scale SMA for Rald in the original config is 3453334.05, but that's not quite right as it's drifting slowly. I know in theory what I need to do to translate orbital altitude into SMA, but... math is not my strong suit and the numbers I'm getting are... odd.:blush:

Um... help? :P

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

25 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So, what I actually need to calculate is the SMA, not the altitude, I see.

There really aren't any computations in astrodynamics dynamics  that use altitude.  The important thing is always going to be distance from the center of mass.  So when dealing with orbits, that's the distance to the center of the body.  When computing orbital period, you want to use the semimajor axis.

25 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I know in theory what I need to do to translate orbital altitude into SMA, but... math is not my strong suit and the numbers I'm getting are... odd.:blush:

The major axis is the line that connects the point of periapsis to the point of apoapsis (i.e. the longest line segment running through the ellipse).  If you have the periapsis and apoasis altitudes, then just add those numbers together, and to that add the diameter of the planet (i.e. twice the radius), and that will be your major axis.

Major axis = Pe + Ap +2R

The semimajor axis is simply 1/2 the major axis.  That is,

Semimajor axis = (Pe + Ap + 2R) / 2

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

:blink::confused: Numbers make brain hurt... so many numbers...:o

But thanks for getting me the important one. :D

ETA: nine bloody hells, the math doesn't stop! :confused:

So, what I actually need to calculate is the SMA, not the altitude, I see. The stock-scale SMA for Rald in the original config is 3453334.05, but that's not quite right as it's drifting slowly. I know in theory what I need to do to translate orbital altitude into SMA, but... math is not my strong suit and the numbers I'm getting are... odd.:blush:

Um... help? :P

I seem to recall in 1.1 or 1.2, they changed the value of G

An example of these bugs people have found is the standardisation in gravity values to 9.80665, making the planet orbits shift ever so slightly and the geosync heights change

Since I "settled" on the Duna-Rald version, I only fixed the orbital period/rotation period for Duna and Rald.

I watched Duna wiggle in the sky of Rald in my mod (Duna becomes a moon of the larger "mars-with-water" Rald), as there was some inclination and eccentricity, it went back and forth...but after many cycles, it seemed to be moving... starting with it low on the horizon, soon enough it disappeared completely below it... I need to find my old spreadsheet and update some numbers...

As we are talking about skyboxses: I'd like to have my galaxy next to a big nebula. This would make one side of the skybox have the nebula (preferably a real one, with stars an such) and the opposite(ish) side would have the center bulge of the galaxy, with the trail of distant stars spreading around from there. 

1 hour ago, Luovahulluus said:

As we are talking about skyboxses

skyboxes* 

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

I made a skybox just for fun...turned out ok I think. Many stars and a nice subtle nebula

It looks amazing (but DOE doesn't like it), but my sunflare is broken :( (didn't change anything in your scatterer folder)

I JUST WANT TO HAVE A DAMN SUNFLARE  ヽ(`Д´)ノ                    

• ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻
Edited by DarkFighter

5 hours ago, DarkFighter said:

skyboxes* 

It looks amazing (but DOE doesn't like it), but my sunflare is broken :( (didn't change anything in your scatterer folder)

I JUST WANT TO HAVE A DAMN SUNFLARE  ヽ(`Д´)ノ                    

• ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

DOE likes it fine. I tested it before I released it... and you must be doing something wrong. The sunflare doesn't just break

10 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I seem to recall in 1.1 or 1.2, they changed the value of G

That was version 1.2.  They changed a couple of things:

Constant Symbol Units Old Value New Value
 Standard gravity g m/s² 9.81 9.80665
 Gravitational constant G m³/(kg-s²) 6.674E-11 6.67408E-11

In order to keep everything the same from pre-1.2 versions, such as orbital periods, spheres of influence, geosynchronous distance, etc., they left each body's gravitational parameter (μ) as it was.  In order to get the old value of μ to work with the new constants, they had to alter each body's surface gravity, measured in gees, by multiplying the old value by the ratio 9.81/9.80665.  Therefore, Kerbin's surface gravity surface gravity went from 1 g to 1.000341605 g.  That is, Kerbin's surface gravity remained at the old value of 9.81 m/s² rather than updating to 9.80665 m/s².  All other bodies had their values similarly altered.

GPP was in early development when this change occurred.  We chose not to change every body's surface gravity to some weird decimal amount.  (There just hadn't been enough history with the mod at that point to worry about some previous value, such as Gael's geosynchronous altitude, changing).  This is one of the small things about Gael that differs from Kerbin.  Gael's surface gravity is exactly 1 g, or 9.80665 m/s².

Edited by OhioBob

16 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Thanks @KerikBalm, Rald has clouds now. :D

Would you mind sharing your Rald config? I notice yours has an atmospheric glow that mine lacks :blush:

In other news, I looked up my next Icarus transfer window!

A4a1hZy.jpg

..!

!!!!

I have chosen... poorly ;.;

Oh yeah, I also tried @JadeOfMaar's bluest skybox...

DARuLkv.jpg

I keep instinctively holding my breath whenever I'm above the clouds :sealed:

50 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

For the clouds I just copied & pasted um... Haphastus, I think, in the EVE config, then changed the name to Rald. Still WIP.

Hephaestus? That moon has no atmosphere. But Hadrian.... That sure looks like Hadrian.

In other news, for anyone still paying attention ( @eddiew ) I managed to get Scatterer working with Rald in GPP! Kept it very simple, just copied the folder from Gael, renamed everything, then did the same in the planets.cfg. So far, so good. Think I'll quit while I'm ahead and not mess with it any further.

Q6aNpfa.png

wVyiesE.png

@CatastrophicFailure Yeah you should quit while you're ahead and box it up for all of us. This more than meets anyone's expectations/raises spirits. :o

In other news...

21 hours ago, Luovahulluus said:

As we are talking about skyboxses: I'd like to have my galaxy next to a big nebula. This would make one side of the skybox have the nebula (preferably a real one, with stars an such) and the opposite(ish) side would have the center bulge of the galaxy, with the trail of distant stars spreading around from there. 

Since no one here really has the skill yet to make a skybox from scratch (as in, load up on textures and brushes), requests for skyboxes cannot be taken seriously... but I found yours quite reasonable and did some good hard Googling and managed to get the goods. It's not ready to be published yet but the nebula is real, the Eagle nebula. This is the best non-EVE Online one I've made yet. :) 

Codename "Foreign Eagle" :: Gallery

1YoV2ZM.jpg

e6TTkPg.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

5 hours ago, doudou said:

@Galileo, @JadeOfMaar

Hello, I saw that a new version of the scatterer v0.300 was released with new SVE1.16 , can we use this version for GPP?

I'd strongly advise you do not. Galileo has already met several issues between the two.

If anyone else has tried or is trying Scatterer v0.0300 with GPP please DO NOT share your findings. We know.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@DarkFighter Ciro.cfg within Scatterer needs to have this if you dropped the "Eden" folder into the Sunflares folder.

Scatterer_sunflare
{
	Ciro
	{
		//path to sunflare textures
		assetPath = scatterer/config/Sunflares/Eden

If you merged their contents and replaced image files then inside the config it should end with the path to the only folder that currently exists beside the config. Example:

//Flare and spikes: Centered on the sun
Scatterer_sunflare
{
	Ciro
	{
		//path to sunflare textures
		assetPath = scatterer/config/Sunflares/Ciro

If you installed Scatterer but not from within the GPP download that's more problems. Scatterer for GPP works differently apart from just graphics. Also do not attempt to use any new versions of Scatterer until Galileo announces in any way that it's good to go in this thread. He's already met every problem.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

35 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

If you installed Scatterer but not from within the GPP download that's more problems. Scatterer for GPP works differently apart from just graphics. Also, do not attempt to use any new versions of Scatterer until Galileo announces in any way that it's good to go in this thread. He's already met every problem.

I would never do such stupid things.

And my Ciro.cfg looks exactly like that, and there is only the Eden folder besides the .cfg. (sunflare just doesn't like me)