[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

5 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Those travel times are for a Hohmann transfer orbit.  It's possible to reduce the flight time, but the faster the transfer, the more delta-v it will take.  It becomes a trade-off.

Good to know. It will probably take me forever to get farther out since my rocket building skills are lacking and i get side tracked easily by shinny objects

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

You are more than welcome.  I had a great time making it! If you are using the texture replacer I have bundled with the mod,  you will see Jeb has aged,  and with age comes patience. He has learned,  good things come to those who wait.

Aha! I thought he looked differnt. I useally create a kerbal right off the bat on a fresh game and use him for first time things, for use with final frontier mod (a+ for adding support for it also, btw). When i did that iota run i used jeb and was thinking he looked different then before. Glad to know he does and it wasnt just my lack of sleep playing tricks on me, lol.

I discovered a mod earlier today called Historian, which is gonna be great for screenshots to know what planet or where im at.

With respect to Augustus, Methane lakes could potentially exist if the atmosphere was methane dominated. At 120 K Methane has a vapor pressure of about 2 atmospheres. Assuming the temperature range of Augustus is 109.5-130.5K (21k total range centered on 120k) you would need about 0.8 atmospheres of Methane for permanent liquid at the poles, and a large fraction of that to support transient methane precipitation. 

It makes more sense to put hydrocarbon lakes on Catullus. 90K is basically the surface temperature of Titan (93.7K where Huygens landed). I looked it up - nitrogen depresses the triple point of Methane/Ethane, so at 90K with 5 bars of atmosphere it would be believable to have lakes. Just change the Hydrogen/Helium atmosphere to H/He/N/CH4. 

It is also interesting that Hox and Hadrian are somewhat close to having lakes of nitrogen, which would boil at 53K in a 0.01 bar nitrogen atmosphere. Hox could possibly have all three states stable at the same time, with lakes near the equator and ice at the poles. In fact, Hadrian can hold onto everything heavier than Methane, so I am surprised it does not have more of a nitrogen atmosphere than it does.

Note that I have not been to either world yet, so if they do have nitrogen lakes then remind me to pack a cryogenic boat on my next lander.  

Lesson learned - do not use a boxy vacuum lander for Gratian, end up 400m/s short of the delta-V required to make orbit due to extreme air drag, then load up Bob with the science data and use 90% of the EVA fuel to clear the atmosphere at Perapsis. 

Update: Bob made it back to the ship (meaning the ship had fuel to reach him) carrying 51 science experiments. Fearing the worst, I packed about 5000m/s extra delta-V (thanks SpaceY Penguinn engines) before I left Gael. 

Edited by MaxL_1023

Turned out I had enough fuel to return to Gael, circularize in LGO, then go back to Gratian. RSS has my design sensibilities completely borked. 

I had 4030m/s left in a 185km Gael orbit lol.

Edited by MaxL_1023

1 minute ago, Norcalplanner said:

cough (Sigma Dimensions) cough

I am waiting for some of the RO suite to come out first - otherwise getting into orbit will be a pain in the cheeks and probably crash my computer on launch. The ship I just flew had 42 Vectors on launch (4 5M radial boosters with 8 each connected to a 5M sustainer core with 10).

3 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

It makes more sense to put hydrocarbon lakes on Catullus

I thought so as well, but Catullus and the Gauss system was already interesting enough.  The Otho system needed something to spice it up.  It is only half about being scientifically accurate.  Making the game fun to play by providing some interesting places to go is just as, and maybe more, important.

3 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Hadrian can hold onto everything heavier than Methane, so I am surprised it does not have more of a nitrogen atmosphere than it does.

Hadrain is below the freezing point of nitrogen, so that's why I figured a thinner atmosphere.

Edited by OhioBob

Congrats on release! Been anticipating this for awhile. Thank you for your work sir. Question. Does any of this need SVE/SVT? Ive currently got them installed and would like to try GPP, but I'm curious I should keep SVE/SVT or not. Would keeping it cause problems?

@Norcalplanner Sigma Dimensions support is already nearly here. :)

@MaxL_1023 I'm kinda wishing you came around sooner. Your knowledge and practical in-game work are astounding.

@Motokid600 I'd recommend you install the bundled SVE. That is optional but SVT is built-in.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

6 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Congrats on release! Been anticipating this for awhile. Thank you for your work sir. Question. Does any of this need SVE/SVT? Ive currently got them installed and would like to try GPP, but I'm curious I should keep SVE/SVT or not. Would keeping it cause problems?

This mod comes packaged with its own SVE so don't keep the one you have because it's only good with the stock system

8 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Hadrain is below the freezing point of nitrogen, so that's why I figured a thinner atmosphere.

At 58K the vapor pressure of Nitrogen would be about 0.05 Bar (5 KPA) according to nitrogen_vapor_pressure.gif

Combine the slight greenhouse effect from the thicker Atmosphere, the slightly eccentric orbit and the Equator vs Poles temperature difference and we might have a body which can have all 3 states coexisting. The triple point is 63k at about 1/8th of an atmosphere. 

I checked out the stats for Tarsiss as well - it can easily hold N2 and O2, and has a temperature of 79K+- 10. That could have nitrogen lakes at the poles (69K with decent atmospheric pressure), as nitrogen needs 0.3 atmospheres at that temperature. At 1.5 or 2 atmospheres nitrogen would be liquid over most of the surface. 

Depending on how scientifically accurate you want to be, there could be some fairly crazy ice structures on the surface of a cold atmospheric planet. Earth is too warm and has too much gravity IRL - glaciers won't form anything really large besides solid piles. However, at 90K, somewhat lower gravity and with a thicker atmosphere to sculpt things I can see there being snowdrifts a kilometer high. Think methane sand dunes writ large, gossamer structures of nitrogen ice or cryovolcanic vents. Almost all ices get harder at lower temperatures, while cryovolcanism will supply the small particles for deposition. 

I am not sure how hard it would be to code that - some sort of fractal structure might be able to generate a biomes worth of detailed terrain without manually having to place every structure. 

2 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I am waiting for some of the RO suite to come out first - otherwise getting into orbit will be a pain in the cheeks and probably crash my computer on launch. The ship I just flew had 42 Vectors on launch (4 5M radial boosters with 8 each connected to a 5M sustainer core with 10).

I tried RO, but ultimately decided it was just a bit too much work for my taste.  I did have a a blast for a few months in RSS with SMURFF at full lever, including landing three probes in three different biomes on Mercury (thank you, Strategia) and a fully functional Moon base with refueling capability and a 70-ton Moon orbital station.  My current project is a 3.2x scale career modded with Kerbal Research and Development.  I strongly suspect that there's going to be a dimensional rift which transports the KSC to Gael sometime in the near future, although the scale of the Kerbals' new home is still TBD.  Might go up to 4x or even 6.4x, depending on how improved various parts get with KR&D.

Your rocket sounds awesome.  I myself am a fan of the big boys - here's the Nova Heavy I made with RSB in RSS:

JgNjSWO.png

Each of those cores is 12.2 meters, with a total of 24 F-1Bs, plus 14 Ariane V SRBs to help get it off the pad.  Payload was an 890 ton fuel depot.  In RSS:cool:

Back on topic, I'm really liking the look of GPP and can't wait to try it out... just as soon as I get back from the holiday trip I'm about to embark on. :)

I never did much with bases (RO has no ISRU afaik). My largest rocket put 3000 tons into LEO. The final payload was a 5 ton Triton lander. I decided to do a direct launch to Neptune and capture retrograde on arrival from a 13 year hyperbolic trajectory.

It took half an hour to make orbit - I think the first stage had 56 Rd-171 Energia engines with 40 SSMEs on the second stage, which just made orbit before burning out. I posted that one in mission reports awhile back.

I think I needed something about half that size for a single launch manned Mars mission using TAC LS - most of my payload was supplies.

When in doubt, get hangar extender and add a zero to every parameter. Jedediah Kerman would approve.

Edited by MaxL_1023

Not sure if I broke something or what, but I can't get the resource scanner overlay to work. The Kerbnet Ore overlay works correctly, but the big planet overlay refuses to show up. Nothing happens when click the button for it on the scanner, or the button on the toolbar. Any thoughts?

Edit; in the tracker opening the toolbar button it says "no resource of this type exists here" if that helps.

Edited by Yargnit

@Yargnit Do you have SCANsat installed? It has a feature that affects the orbital survey part and disables stock scanning and stock planet overlay. Also what planet are you orbiting? My guide post mentions the challenge of knowing where not to expect certain resources. That means they will be nil or nearly nil in some places.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

No I do not have SCANsat installed. I have the exact same list of mods I have the exact same mods on this install as I do on my Outer Planets install, except for swapping Outer Planets for this, and OP also has Sigma dimensions/binary on it while this one doesn't, and the resource overlays show up correctly on that install. 

Here's what the overlay is saying in the tracking station  http://i.imgur.com/acVolgr.png , and here is kerbnet saying there should be plenty of Ore available  http://i.imgur.com/M2gNgvQ.png 

Your planet pack made me launch a rocket with 160 MN of liftoff thrust. I hope Gael is on rails, otherwise it might not orbit correctly after liftoff. 

I just HAD to land a 200 ton mining lander on your planets. 

Edited by MaxL_1023

@Yargnit maybe it's a game prerelease bug that somehow returned or wasn't quite resolved? Your problem sounds like one that absolutely shouldn't happen. Clearly you've staged your engines and not cheated into orbit as suggested below. (I couldn't quote directly from that thread, so anon quotes and thread link)

Perhaps a screenshot of your GameData folder will help.

I am having the same issue.  Clean install of 1.2pre x64 (1.2.0.1473 WindowsPlayer-pre) on Win7 Pro x64. 

Sandbox mode; Survey scanner tried on Kerbin and Mun, in appropriate polar orbits.  Plenty of elec, good direct communication with Kerbin.  "Toggle Overlay" button does nothing; "Resource" button changes permanently to "Ore (x.xx% avg.)" when pressed (even if not in proper orbit, etc.), further presses have no effect.  Color, Cutoff+, Cutoff- buttons don't seem to do anything.  Checking KerbNet Access on the narrow-band scanner shows TV color bars and message that a survey is needed first.  Checking KerbNet Access on the probe core (HECS2) shows the normal orbital view.  Attempting to Transmit Data on either the 16-S or the RA-5 doesn't seem to accomplish anything, just says "Done!".  Attempting to Transmit Data on the HECS2 core gives an "Unable to transmit!" error message. 

This has been known to happen if you havent staged an engine - so we see it in testing sometimes when "cheating" orbits

20 hours ago, Yargnit said:

No I do not have SCANsat installed. I have the exact same list of mods I have the exact same mods on this install as I do on my Outer Planets install, except for swapping Outer Planets for this, and OP also has Sigma dimensions/binary on it while this one doesn't, and the resource overlays show up correctly on that install. 

Here's what the overlay is saying in the tracking station  http://i.imgur.com/acVolgr.png , and here is kerbnet saying there should be plenty of Ore available  http://i.imgur.com/M2gNgvQ.png 

Post your logs so can have a better look 

Here's the relevant part of the output log when going to the tracking station and viewing the planet;

Exception handling event onPlanetariumTargetChange in class KnowledgeBase:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ResourceMap.GetResourceItemList (HarvestTypes harvest, .CelestialBody body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp_PlanetResources.CreateResourceList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp_PlanetResources.ActivateApp (.MapObject target) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase.ActivateApps (KbTargetType targetType, .MapObject target) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase.OnMapFocusChange (.MapObject target) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[MapObject].Fire (.MapObject data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ResourceMap.GetResourceItemList (HarvestTypes harvest, .CelestialBody body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp_PlanetResources.CreateResourceList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp_PlanetResources.ActivateApp (.MapObject target) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase.ActivateApps (KbTargetType targetType, .MapObject target) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase.OnMapFocusChange (.MapObject target) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[MapObject].Fire (.MapObject data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventData`1:Fire(MapObject)
PlanetariumCamera:SetTarget(MapObject)
PlanetariumCamera:SetTarget(Int32)
PlanetariumCamera:SetTarget(String)
<Start>c__Iterator95:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename:  Line: -1)

The full log is over the maximum size pastebin will allow. This is my gamedata folder; http://i.imgur.com/sGJcQBK.png Note that Outer Planets loads the resource overlays correctly with basically the same set of mods installed. (OP has sigma on top of it as well)

Sorry @Yargnit. I've added all your mods except any particular USI mod to my install and have not reproduced your problem, neither have I experienced any resource problems except for when the cfg file does not exist for a CRP resource.  Are all of your mods KSP 1.2.1-ready? If not, please remove or update them and try the game again. I didn't get the toolbar button with that robotic arm icon as in your screenshots so I'm suspecting old mods. The only issue GPP should cause is confusion with any mods which explicitly need the stock planets to exist.

My screenshots are right before installing your mod selection, but afterwards my situation hasn't changed.

2w1dcFS.jpg

wIZzLCL.jpgZQormA5.jpg

Has anyone been able to get Kerbal Konstructs working with GPP? I've tried loading it in by default but I'm getting an error because it can't find Kerbin and I don't see any config changes to where I could specify Gael. I don't even know if KK works with Kopernicus :huh: